Huet to Wash for 2nd round pick

HabsWEST

We're still giving them an upgrade in the most important position in the game. Huet is close to Vokoun and Lehtonen for the best goalie in the division.

Huet has been an all-star.

I really wonder if Huet will be the true #1 there or rotate with the other 2 only time will tell.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wonder if Huet will be the true #1 there or rotate with the other 2 only time will tell.

Just compare their statistics. Huet will be the Number One goalie in Washinton. Olie the Goalie has horrible stats and he's 37 years old.

We're still giving them an upgrade in the most important position in the game. Huet is close to Vokoun and Lehtonen for the best goalie in the division.

We should be happy getting a 2nd rounder.. and I posted in another thread, Anaheim got nothing for their goalie heading to phoenix. (cant remember his name...)

Well.....a day later I'm still not crazy about the trade, as few folks said i find it hard to believe that he couldn't have been packaged with Ryder for something more, people have mentioned Richards which IMO is unrealistic, but at least a 1st rounder. Don't get me wrong, I like giving Timmins extra picks (if he even gets to use this 2nd rounder), however our need for a game breaker is well documented, and not many of those are available by the 2nd round.......though it's happened before. On another note, I thought Simon was interesting too, pick up some toughness for the playoffs, and he was relatively cheap.

Now all that said, as some of you know I've always been a huge fan of Halak, so if you asked me who I would rather trade away between him and Huet, I'd have to go with the Frenchman. In that sense it'll be good for Jaro to get a long-overdue callup, and hopefully some starts as well. Kid more than deserves it, now it's time to prove Bob right!

HAS BEEN AN ALL-STAR, not currently. And he's a rental player if they can't re-sign him.

I don't see how Christiansen, Angelo Esposito and Colby Armstrong even remotely equals Higgins, Grabovski and Kostytsin! Armstrong and Christiansen are both third line players on any other team and Esposito's stock has fallen out of site. Bob must have offered next to nothing because that's what Atlanta settled for. He's not an idiot for making one trade, but he is answerable for dumping any safety net we had in goal going into the playoffs and for not having a plan B [or C] to help this team when the Hossa thing fell through.

Ok, you didn't agree with the possibilities that I suggested. However, given that BG said that 3/4 of the "elements" that ATL wanted were playing against ATL on Tues night, who do you think we would have had to give up?

The price was too high and when the Pens' goalies--not ours--falter in the playoffs see how the 20/20 hindsight "experts" will criticize Shero. :hlogo: :clap: :hlogo:

Ok, you didn't agree with the possibilities that I suggested. However, given that BG said that 3/4 of the "elements" that ATL wanted were playing against ATL on Tues night, who do you think we would have had to give up?

I wonder if Grabovski and Halak were 2 out of the 3, and Bob called them up just so he could say they wanted 3 roster players... :lol:

To me it was not about Halak vs Huet. I would have kept all 3 of them as soon as I found out the return. Simply not worth it.

To me it is obvious that Gainey doesn't expect much this playoff run. All he is planning on is a bit of experience for Price with a small probability that Price will be a Roy type miracle.

While he publicly says that he is happy with the team, he clearly doesn't give them much chance for going all the way this year. I have to think he is planning out a couple of years and simply going for getting Price experience.

If he really wanted to make a run this year, he would have kept Huet just in case and then let him walk after.

As for Huet's struggles, most goalies struggle when you start playing head games. Basically, he was awesome in January, had a couple bad games, and it was like.. you are not number 1 now, we are going to alternate. I suspect that got to him.

Ottawa is in the same mode right now with Emery and Gerber. It is time to pick one and go.

In our case, Gainey picked Price for better or worse.

Remember the last goal that Carolina scored on us in game 6..... That goal still haunts me!

And you can only blame Huet for it being a second round pick... had the draft deadline been a week ago while we were going for 5 straight wins then it would have been at least a second draft pick this year.

More so ... when I commented on what Benoit Brunet said about how Huet plays when Price is on the bench, remember? well it was either send Price back down and keep Halak on the bench so Huet woudlnt feel the butterflies? No no gentlemen Gainey did Exactly what he had to do! in fact he surely would have gotten more for Huet 2 months ago maybe... but we wanted to to get as many points as possible if need be before the deadline

There was nothing else to do and like others have said... mediocre'ish Goalies are quite numerous in the league right now!

Edited by CoRvInA

Further regarding the Huet deal - what do people think? Do they honestly believe that 29 other GM's besides McPhee didn't get a phone call asking if they wanted Huet? What? BOb got a 1st and a 3rd offering from let's say Colorado and he hung up the phone and thought, "Gee, I'd rather have a 2nd versus a 1st and 3rd?"

What do all armchair General Managers have in common? They aren't real GM's!!!

B.I.N.G.O. B.A.N.G.O. B.O.N.G.O., the exact same goal happened on Roberto Luongo!! which knocked the Canucks out of the playoffs last year, but he's a goalie God and Huet sux0rs. :wacko:

Similarily early in the season this year Sundin scored a very similar goal from just over the blue line like 10 seconds into OT against Kippersov, but he's a goalie God too.

Silly Question which could be tough for some of you because apparently it happened a long time ago because it seems that many have forgotten but in the Habs greatest comeback of all time, just who exactly was in net? :P

B.I.N.G.O. B.A.N.G.O. B.O.N.G.O., the exact same goal happened on Roberto Luongo!! which knocked the Canucks out of the playoffs last year, but he's a goalie God and Huet sux0rs. :wacko:

Similarily early in the season this year Sundin scored a very similar goal from just over the blue line like 10 seconds into OT against Kippersov, but he's a goalie God too.

Silly Question which could be tough for some of you because apparently it happened a long time ago because it seems that many have forgotten but in the Habs greatest comeback of all time, just who exactly was in net? :P

Huet

But honestly before the shootout what did he do?

Let in 2 softies and was not really tested at all after.

Huet

But honestly before the shootout what did he do?

Let in 2 softies and was not really tested at all after.

How typically convenient. When the Habs play well in front of Huet they win not because of Huet. When the Habs play like chickens with their heads cut off running around everywhere and loose its because of Huet. :lol:

Shocked to see the guy whos always posting Huets shabby stats in 1 goal games say that. Huet made several huge saves in that game when it was 5-4.

Huet cant win for trying. No matter what he does its not good enough I guess.

In a 3rd the time Hail Mary Carey has easily let in 3 times as many soft goals as Huet, but he is our Saviour and Huet sux0rs.

In any of the games in which Huet was replaced by Price, have the Habs ever rebounded and rallied to win? No, the team doesnt have that much confidence in Price. But in that 5-6 OT comeback game the Habs settled down as soon as Huet was put in.

Yes they are in the future and now.

That's what they said about Hackett, also what they said about Theodore... I remember hearing that from Garon, oh yeah, and also Danis. Did I also forget Fiset? Not to forget Roy!

Edited by Nesquik

Sorry to be tardy to the party but I still don't get all the big fuss about moving Huet.

Huet season #1 with Habs --> Bring them in playoffs. Plays 6 games against the Canes in round #1 exit.

Huet season #2 with Habs --> Gets injured and Halak brings the Habs almost into the playoffs but Huet gets the start versus the leafs and you know the rest.

Huet season #3 with Habs --> Traded at deadline.

I don't see a problem with Price or Halak. I mean, if we sit down for a second and think "maybe if the Habs started Halak versus the Leafs and had won", where would that have put Huet?

Either way, the most important stat is probably that Huet only played 6 playoff games in the NHL. Sure, some experience is better than none but 6 games compared to none for Price and Halak combined isn't going make a break a season. You have to start somewhere to get experience.

As for the actual deal, does it really matter what Montreal got? Isn't something better than nothing for a guy Bob had no plans to keep?

How typically convenient. When the Habs play well in front of Huet they win not because of Huet. When the Habs play like chickens with their heads cut off running around everywhere and loose its because of Huet. :lol:

Shocked to see the guy whos always posting Huets shabby stats in 1 goal games say that. Huet made several huge saves in that game when it was 5-4.

In a 3rd the time Hail Mary Carey has easily let in 3 times as many soft goals as Huet, but he is our Saviour and Huet sux0rs.

In any of the games in which Huet was replaced by Price, have the Habs ever rebounded and rallied to win? No, the team doesnt have that much confidence in Price. But in that 5-6 OT comeback game the Habs settled down as soon as Huet was put in.

Cristobal Who? Last time I checked he played on the Capitals.

Why engage in a debate about somebody who is no longer here?

If the team had no confidence in Price GAINEY WOULDN'T HAVE TRADED HUET!

GIve it a rest. Do you think that Luongo, Kipprusoff, Brodeur, Dipietro, etc etc could be had at the deadline for a 2nd round pick after 2 years as a starter?

Go by a Caps jersey if it makes you happy.

You are the silly one thinkin that u have to defend Huet when actually noone is really bashing him. Huet is great but most likely not needed anymore so Gainey got a 2nd rounder for him.

Several?

He made two stops on wrist shots by Callahan when it was 5-4 so what are you smoking?

Several?

He made two stops on wrist shots by Callahan when it was 5-4 so what are you smoking?

Who cares, if we play them in the playoffs we get to bury him. Otherwise, we won't see him til next year.

I think we all need to take a breather here for a second.

Huet has done much in the past for the Habs. There's no point to deny that but the decision to move him came from his most recent performances. It was said that this decision was an evaluation of the past couple of weeks. The hammer fell down and now Cristobal is gone.

When your coach and/or GM loses faith in a player, that guys days are numbered.

Im sure Gainey thought he would get more like you did Neech. I thought he would be worth more.

Gainey probably made it known he was shopping Huet. There weren't any takers!

So instead of losing him for nothing like Souray, he got the best deal and only deal out there a second pick.

If Gainey didn't move him yesterday he was gone for nothing, this move tells us Gainey was not even going to make an offer this summer.

If Huet was close to Vokoun or Lehtonen we wouldn't have traded him yesterday.