Game Thread | Habs vs. Capitals | 12/20/07

Cataclaw

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:blink:

Ok, you're talking about the guy who has been the most consistent player on the team this season...and the guy that is the kind of offensive threat other teams have to gear their defensive gameplan around? If Kovalev continues to play the way he has so far for the entire season, BG would be nuts not to extend his contract for a year or two more.

Habsfan is right.. and rightly so. How can you even say that Insane? :lol: Are we watching the same Kovalev?

For the first time since the playoffs just after being traded to us, Kovalev is as close as he's been to "on fire" with us.

He's on pace for 34 goals and 39 assists, and frankly, i'm cautiously optimistic at the fact that he has a realistic shot at 40 goals. It's not just about the stats either, he rarely takes shifts off like he used to. He said he had a bit of an epiphany last summer, between seasons, and i think everyone was skeptical, but after34 games, that skepticism is starting to wear off!

Welcome to the CH Kovalev! Happy to have you wearing the Sainte Flanelle.

Habsfan is right.. and rightly so. How can you even say that Insane? :lol: Are we watching the same Kovalev?

For the first time since the playoffs just after being traded to us, Kovalev is as close as he's been to "on fire" with us.

He's on pace for 34 goals and 39 assists, and frankly, i'm cautiously optimistic at the fact that he has a realistic shot at 40 goals. It's not just about the stats either, he rarely takes shifts off like he used to. He said he had a bit of an epiphany last summer, between seasons, and i think everyone was skeptical, but after34 games, that skepticism is starting to wear off!

Welcome to the CH Kovalev! Happy to have you wearing the Sainte Flanelle.

I still worry about contract extension Kovalev though. He is always fully capable of pouting at any minute.

He is always fully capable of pouting at any minute.

Before the season started, I posted that if Guy just shuts the F**K up and lets Kovy play his game, AK would go back to being our best player. It's really all about Guy continuing to STFU and letting Kovy play his game.

So why would you want a player on your team who doesn't produce unless you give him everything his way?

That is 2-4 year old behavior.

I like Kovy when he is motivated. But it is not often enough. I would prefer to peg that 4+Million on somebody else. IMO

So why would you want a player on your team who doesn't produce unless you give him everything his way?

So you think we wouldve done better if we replaced Kovalev with a 4th-line grinder who couldnt hit the net even if it was in soccer-size?

Leave Kovy alone, no trades, no contracts.

Only two players deserves contract prolongation for 6-8 years it's Komisarek

and Higgins.

Other than that nobody deserves contract extension. ANd if Bob is still sleeping

and does nothing about those two soon, we will make ourself

vulnerable to a Vanek,Penner kind of thing.

Leave Kovy alone, no trades, no contracts.

Only two players deserves contract prolongation for 6-8 years it's Komisarek

and Higgins.

Other than that nobody deserves contract extension. ANd if Bob is still sleeping

and does nothing about those two soon, we will make ourself

vulnerable to a Vanek,Penner kind of thing.

If give Price a long extension...

Ya he has really stepped up this year and in my mind has probably been the best Habs player this year. Kvalev is playing way past my expectations of him.

Edited by Habsfan84

Actually, when someone is asked to play a style that is totally contrary to their skillset, then jerked around by being saddled with a linemate who can't play for shit, and they're unhappy about the situation because they can't produce...it's hardly 2-4 year old behavior. It's called being human; not many guys wouldn't be pissed off about that scenario, and that's exactly what Kovalev was dealing with last season.

Yup same Kovalev. My point was for long term, not short term. Anyone think he will be a floater next year? Hard to say as this year he said he is going to try. Well for 4+ $million buckaroos he should have been trying hard in the beginning of the contract.

If Mr. B.G. can unload errr... trade this ridiculous contract than I say do it.

Like the hockey players themselves in contract years, I just don't get all too emotional about guys that underachieve one year and try and make up for it the next. That is why Colorado got rid of Ricci and Drury when their trade values were not too bad (Uninjured years) and continue to build. Montreal has decided to build on youth and it looks good so far. Does anyone on here actually think this is a cup year for the Habs? Be honest. One day though, look out as the foundation is being built and free agents will knock on the door. Patience patience patience....

Yup same Kovalev. My point was for long term, not short term. Anyone think he will be a floater next year? Hard to say as this year he said he is going to try. Well for 4+ $million buckaroos he should have been trying hard in the beginning of the contract.

Like the hockey players themselves in contract years, I just don't get all too emotional about guys that underachieve one year and try and make up for it the next. That is why Colorado got rid of Ricci and Drury when their trade values were not too bad (Uninjured years) and continue to build. Montreal has decided to build on youth and it looks good so far. Does anyone on here actually think this is a cup year for the Habs? Be honest. One day though, look out as the foundation is being built and free agents will knock on the door. Patience patience patience....

I have heard rumours that he plays hurt a lot too. His current contract is not ridiculous. Montreal is notorious for signing stars and them playing less than expected. If Kovy performs, why trade him? I have seen so many stars traded to this team, and have watched them slow down the second they got here.

34 games out of 34 isn't good enough for you so far this season? :unsure:

LOL, try 34 of his last 107

How do you think Kovalev gets these contracts? try hard, take time off. try hard, take time off. Lather, rinse, repeat.

If you believe that Kovalev has finally changed his ways, join the 4 GMs who have acquired him in his career.

You cannot convince me that Kovalev does not have the talent to produce a PPG, yet his career does not reflect that...hmmmm. I wonder why?

I will use history as my past indicator. Not a biased home fan view that hopes he has changed his ways.

We shouldn't and we won't extend Kovy. There are too many young players we'll want to keep around, and other free agents we want to bring in.

I respectfully disagree!

Kovalev is by far our most talented forward!

With the Exception of last year, Kovy has done pretty well since joining the Habs. When Bob traded for him in 2003, Kovy haad 11 points in 12 playoff games. Not bad at all if you ask me! He was a dominant player in those 2 playoff rounds.

His first full season(05-06) with the habs he had almost 1 point per game (65 pts in 69 games played). Once again, i think that is pretty good.

Then there was last year(06-07), where we can all agree that he SUCKED.

And now this year, Kovy seems like a man on a mission. He almost never takes a shift off. He's a constant threat in the offensive zone, and can any of you name me another player on this team who can One time a cross ice pass into the net on a regular basis??? There aren't many guys on this team who can do what Kovy does.

As far as resigning Kovy at the end of Next year...Let's wait and See. I expect Kovy to be motivated again next year as it'll be the last year of his contract. Plus Kovy will be 36 years old at that time. I honestly believe that Kovy can play a good game until 38. he's a big guy, and is built like a horse. He will remain an offensice threat until the age of 38. I mean , look at Sundin. He's 36 and playing some incredible Hockey. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kovy do the same thing!

How is the contract ridiculous? Kovalev is earning every penny.

How is the contract ridiculous? Kovalev is earning every penny.

No kidding. At 4.5 million$ per season, I think Kovy is almost a steal!

I respectfully disagree!

Kovalev is by far our most talented forward!

With the Exception of last year, Kovy has done pretty well since joining the Habs. When Bob traded for him in 2003, Kovy haad 11 points in 12 playoff games. Not bad at all if you ask me! He was a dominant player in those 2 playoff rounds.

His first full season(05-06) with the habs he had almost 1 point per game (65 pts in 69 games played). Once again, i think that is pretty good.

Then there was last year(06-07), where we can all agree that he SUCKED.

And now this year, Kovy seems like a man on a mission. He almost never takes a shift off. He's a constant threat in the offensive zone, and can any of you name me another player on this team who can One time a cross ice pass into the net on a regular basis??? There aren't many guys on this team who can do what Kovy does.

As far as resigning Kovy at the end of Next year...Let's wait and See. I expect Kovy to be motivated again next year as it'll be the last year of his contract. Plus Kovy will be 36 years old at that time. I honestly believe that Kovy can play a good game until 38. he's a big guy, and is built like a horse. He will remain an offensice threat until the age of 38. I mean , look at Sundin. He's 36 and playing some incredible Hockey. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kovy do the same thing!

Kovalev would be the most talented forward on half the teams in this league. But why does his talent level never equate to monster seasons?

The guy can do whatever he wants with the puck, he is a tank, he has great vision, a great shot. So why has he only averaged over a PPG 2 times in his career?

That is a huge red flag. I like Kovalev when he brings it, and I hope he continues to this season. But an aging player who has had a career marked with

inconsistent play is hardly a slam dunk resigning at 4+ million for me.

Kovalev would be the most talented forward on half the teams in this league. But why does his talent level never equate to monster seasons?

The guy can do whatever he wants with the puck, he is a tank, he has great vision, a great shot. So why has he only averaged over a PPG 2 times in his career?

That is a huge red flag. I like Kovalev when he brings it, and I hope he continues to this season. But an aging player who has had a career marked with

I agree. there's no doubt about the fact that kovy did not always bring his A-game to the rink. We saw that last year. BUt i get the feeling that he's gonna keep up the pace this year. He'll be even more motivated next year(as it'll be the last year of his contract) and we all know how motivated players get when it's the last year of their contracts!!

I'm not saying that Bob should resign Kovy to another 4 year deal(once this deal is finished), but maybe a 2 year 9 million$ deal might not be bad!

I agree. there's no doubt about the fact that kovy did not always bring his A-game to the rink. We saw that last year. BUt i get the feeling that he's gonna keep up the pace this year. He'll be even more motivated next year(as it'll be the last year of his contract) and we all know how motivated players get when it's the last year of their contracts!!

I'm not saying that Bob should resign Kovy to another 4 year deal(once this deal is finished), but maybe a 2 year 9 million$ deal might not be bad!

I hope so, but it is not a given considering Kovalev's last pre-UFA season in 2004 (45 Pts in 78 games).

But you just said it - right now he's bringing it ("I hope he continues this season") and never taking a shift off but he's STILL only got 30 points in 34 games. That just goes to show you - he doesn't equal the sum of his parts. Yes, he's a great player, and definitely one of our most valuable guys but he is NOT a consistant 90+ point scorer even when he's playing at his best. The real reason why he is considered to be a bust is not because he takes shifts off but because people see potential in him to be an elite player but he doesn't reach the expectations. Let's lower our expectations on Kovalev - he is a first line player but he is not going to lead the league in scoring, not unless we bring in Mario, Jagr, Lang, Hrdina, etc and use a time machine.