Game Day Thread Canadiens @ Thrashers

JMMR

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody makes mistakes, its how you react to it that matters. Huet made a mistake in the 3rd and he reacted very well. He refused to lose. His team reacted well, they played harder to get it back for him..

Compare this to last year where Abbey would break down completely after one mistake and the lockerroom was so bad they gave up after one bad goal...

This is a good sign, imo.

Don't even get me started on Abby. FLopping out of position, making miraculous saves followed by a goal from centre ice.

Huet redeemed himself, but I would still like him to be tied to his net

Don't even get me started on Abby. FLopping out of position, making miraculous saves followed by a goal from centre ice.

Huet redeemed himself, but I would still like him to be tied to his net

WE ALL DO.

Happy with another road win. Good game by the Habs tonite as they were unlucky not to win it in 60. Nice gaffe by Huet on the 2nd goal. He did well to redeem himself though. As were all cursing the Smokes line, Ryder puts in the goahead goal. Nice to take one in the shootout. Hope for another good effort against the Pens.

Kudos for the Habs for playing a great game, especially defensively. Besides OT and a few minutes at the end of the third Atlanta didn't get any quality chances. Boy I was pissed at Huet after that screw up, but redeemed himself and we gotta give credit to our shooters in the SO who came through.

And DAMN, what a dangle by big drooping jiggly tittays!! That's the most impressive individual highlight that's come from this team in a while. Most players were on tonight, and one of these days Lats will snap out of it and start putting these chances in the back of the net.

You know who plays like our number one centre? Yeah we all do, it's Plekanec. He's stronger in EVERY aspect of his play than Koivu this entire season.

Hamrlik wasn't very good tonight, and he hasn't been up to form for the last couple of weeks. Smolinski made good plays and bad plays, that pass he made on the boards to give Koivu a chance shorthanded was probably his highlight of the year.

All in all we definitely deserved this win and I'm glad we got it. Could have been a shutout, I don't really blame Huet for the fluky first goal, rather that that penalty on Bouillon was bogus in the first place. Good on our team for rallying.

I am very proud of Huet thats it thats all.
I am very proud of Huet thats it thats all is seconded by moi.

Yeah, we all know Huet should stay in his net sometimes. I was frustrated that he was hit from behind. A goalie outside the crease is fair game. But, the puck was not quite in Huet's possession. I hate those calls too because in other games that might have been a penalty. It was a hit from behind and I've seen penalties called on forwards this year that were just as blatant. The goalie may be fair game but he still has the rights of a forward or a defenceman when outside the crease.

It's an iffy call which is why they let it go. I understand that. But I'm not about to curse Huet for something unanticipated. When could you be hit like that? Certainly you expect that a call might happen. In short, shi_ happens.

After all he's done I can forgive this. We already knew about his weakness outside the goal. What's new and who cares? He's an awesome goalie :hlogo:

Thank you Andrei K :clap:

Yeah, we all know Huet should stay in his net sometimes. I was frustrated that he was hit from behind. A goalie outside the crease is fair game. But, the puck was not quite in Huet's possession. I hate those calls too because in other games that might have been a penalty. It was a hit from behind and I've seen penalties called on forwards this year that were just as blatant. The goalie may be fair game but he still has the rights of a forward or a defenceman when outside the crease.

It's an iffy call which is why they let it go. I understand that. But I'm not about to curse Huet for something unanticipated. When could you be hit like that? Certainly you expect that a call might happen. In short, shi_ happens.

That would have really been a gift if they called a penalty there. Huet hesitated and turned his back, he was in the way of the player trying to get the puck. It wasn't a penalty, just a bad play.

I love watching the Leafs right now. Win or Lose it is good. If they lose they bury themselves more. If they win the screw over their draft position.

They will finish out of the lottery and screw up another first rounder. It's beginning to look alot like the 80s.

It's beginning to look alot like christmas.... ;):D

Good for the loosers if they won tonight...but for them to make the playoffs, they would have to play .650 hockey, which just won't happen!

Anyways, enough of the Losers. The habs played well, and had it not been for Lehtonen, thsi game could have easily finished 5 to 2.

The boys are starting to gel together at the right time!

Everybody makes mistakes, its how you react to it that matters. Huet made a mistake in the 3rd and he reacted very well. He refused to lose. His team reacted well, they played harder to get it back for him..

Thank the hockey Gods that Huet played a good game after that stupid goal in the third. Cause had the habs lost this game in regulation, the flight back home would have been horrible on the team chemistry!

Hahaha, oh man, priceless...

After just watching the game, I come back and read the whole thread, reaction by reaction. It's great how everyone bashes Huet and Koivu, and than after his blunder Huet catches fire, makes some incredible saves and brings Habs to the shootout victory. And who scores the SO winner? Who other than Koivu. I wonder where the bandwagon is rolling to next...

After just watching the game, I come back and read the whole thread, reaction by reaction. It's great how everyone bashes Huet and Koivu, and than after his blunder Huet catches fire, makes some incredible saves and brings Habs to the shootout victory. And who scores the SO winner? Who other than Koivu. I wonder where the bandwagon is rolling to next...

Well they deserved the bashing, Huet was responsible for both goals (the first one was forgivable, I can't put too much blame on him for that) and Koivu was weak, as he has been most of this season. Good on them for coming through afterwards though.

welcome to montreal, where you're only as good as your last shift.

6/8 on the road is sweet. i dont care how they go in, but if huet lets in 2 or less a game, we have nothing to complain about....

Well they deserved the bashing, Huet was responsible for both goals (the first one was forgivable, I can't put too much blame on him for that) and Koivu was weak, as he has been most of this season. Good on them for coming through afterwards though.

I find the endless bashing and blaming a bit silly, actually. I know it reflects passion for the game, but everybody makes mistakes...making a federal case out of this or that shift always seems overblown to me. More significant is a remark like the one you make about Koivu having a bad season. That's a lot more relevant to me than this or that passing shift.

Huet, however, does continuously cast us goals with his puck handling. He has done so all season.

But those were huge saves he made in OT. Credit where credit is due.

And Andre...oh la la. Was I seriously wishing aloud for Hossa? Why bother?

Huet, however, does continuously cast us goals with his puck handling. He has done so all season.

But those were huge saves he made in OT. Credit where credit is due.

And Andre...oh la la. Was I seriously wishing aloud for Hossa? Why bother?

Huet is awful with the puck. So was Patrick Roy. Ya gotta look at the big picture, that's all - Huet's still better than lots of other goalies around the league even with the gaffes, and it's a mistake to let rage at those comical errors overwhelm our judgement of a good goalie. C'est tout.

I find the endless bashing and blaming a bit silly, actually. I know it reflects passion for the game, but everybody makes mistakes...making a federal case out of this or that shift always seems overblown to me. More significant is a remark like the one you make about Koivu having a bad season. That's a lot more relevant to me than this or that passing shift.

Yeah, fans can be very fickle, but in the case of these two players they deserve a fair amount of criticism because they have been shaky (Huet) or weak (Koivu) for most of the season. It's silly when it's just a consistent player's off day, or a bad shift in an otherwise solid game, but if they are sub par game in game out then the bashing they get after a bad play or bad game is meritted.

Such players (in my book):

Koivu

Huet

Smolinski

Ryder (duh)

The rest of the team has been up and down at worse. Like Higgins can be brilliant one day, solid the next, then invisible the next (like tonight). He doesn't deserve to be bashed because there haven't been too many invisible days.

Huet played great.

Forget about his adventure in to the corner, we all knew how that would turn out. He has played fairly well but it is time for Halak to get a start. Too many games in a row for Huet leads to a brutal game.

Halak vs. Pittsburg please.

And Koivu on the press gallery :lol:

Huet is awful with the puck. So was Patrick Roy. Ya gotta look at the big picture, that's all - Huet's still better than lots of other goalies around the league even with the gaffes, and it's a mistake to let rage at those comical errors overwhelm our judgement of a good goalie. C'est tout.

When the board complains about the fact that Huet is terrible with the puck daily and he gives away the puck on one of his adventures that ties it in the 3rd. I think it is unrealistic to expect posters to remain quiet.

I am sure when Turco or Brodeur do it that nobody says a thing because they see the value it adds to their team on a nightly basis. Huet CANNOT handle the puck, and you would be hard pressed to find a time where he positively changed the outcome of the game by doing it. Even on a dump in where he just stops it for his defenceman it is an adventure! On the reverse side how many times do you see an awkward transition or a possible scoring chance come from him wandering?

As far as Patrick Roy being terrible with the puck, well he brought 2 cups, numerous All-Star appearances, and a mittful of Vezinas so he was forgiven...as was Dryden. If Huet brings the cup then we will cut him a break.

As far as Koivu, some people go overboard with the criticism. But he has not been playing up to his standard and the offensive zone lazy penalties are easy targets.

I find it funny how some people here say Huet has been shaky all season and imply he is having a bad season. This comes from having dumb definitions of bad goals and harping on things that go in, not ones he keeps out, imo.

Let's look at reality here people...

1 Timothy Jr. Thomas BOS 29 884 .930 13 11 3 67 2.33 951 1 0 0 2 1,726:53

2 Roberto Luongo VAN 39 1019 .928 21 14 4 79 2.04 1098 6 0 3 4 2,327:33

3 Pascal Leclaire CBJ 32 766 .926 17 8 3 61 2.03 827 7 0 2 2 1,800:38

4 Cristobal Huet MTL 27 763 .923 15 7 5 64 2.37 827 1 0 1 0 1,623:14

5 Chris Osgood DET 25 555 .922 19 3 2 47 1.95 602 2 0 3 0 1,448:01

6 Manny Legace STL 33 741 .922 17 10 3 63 2.06 804 3 0 0 2 1,837:31

7 Martin Brodeur NJD 40 960 .920 24 14 2 84 2.10 1044 4 0 1 2 2,401:18

8 Martin Gerber OTT 32 861 .919 21 7 1 76 2.53 937 1 0 1 2

Yeah, thats right. Huet has a better save percentage then Brodeur. He is 4th in the league and his stats are statistically insignificantly different from Luongo too.

Every goalie can put together a highlight real of bad goals, miscues, and plain old dumb gaffes... The important point is to look at the big picture. The big picture here says that Huet is one of the top 5 goalies in the league this year. While his performance in the playoffs still needs to be seen (which is where Brodeur, Roy, and others made their names and really shine), we can hardly sit here and say that Huet is anything but solid overall.

It is a rare night that Huet doesn't give this team a chance to win. Yes, he might want to stop leaving the net, or perhaps, he should keep doing it until he gets better at it.

Yeah, thats right. Huet has a better save percentage then Brodeur. He is 4th in the league and his stats are statistically insignificantly different from Luongo too.

Ah statistics...don't you love statistics. You know what's nice about statistics? You can make them say anything you want!

You say Huet is just as good as Luongo and Brodeur, because he has a comparable save%. I say that although huet has a comparable save %, he,s played fewer games thatn Luongo and Brodeur(40GP for Marty and 39GP for Bobby) Huet only has one shutout, whereas Bobby has 6 and Marty has 4. Huet has a 2.37 GAA whereas Marty has a 2.10GAA and Bobby a 2.04GAA.

I thikn that what frustrates Habsfans about Huet, is that he is one of the best goalies in the league in the 1st and 2nd periods. BUt when the 3rd period or the OT/SO comes around...he has a tendancy of choking under the pressure.

Overall another solid win and performance. Huet's gaff didn't cost the habs a point, it just gave Atlanta another point. Other then that 1 play he was pretty solid. My only complaint about last night was the habs are not shooting enough, they had opportunties to take great shots and instead passed the puck. Especially the PP needs to get back to shooting.

The Kosty brothers were great last night. Physical, tough, used there speed well.

The D zone was very good. They won alot of battles.

What has this team learned from last year? Lets give the coaches a bit of credit.

The habs are tougher (not tough enough for a deep playoff run)

The work ethic is way better then last year

They actually listen to the coaches. What a novel idea. I told you that GC wasn't going anywhere, it was up to the players to put up or shut up.

The skill level and offense is better

Kovalev has decided to care about playing again.