HABS CLINCH EAST!

SAKS-AVENUE

Truth be told, maybe we're all right - just about every team will be heading into the post season sharp since it's going to be a dogfight all the way in for each and every position.

True! With the exception of the L.A. Kings, every other team in the league believes that they can make it. The Leaves and the Sabres are only 6 points out of a playoff spot in the east, and its the same thing for CHicago in the west.

If the Habs finish 4th, I'll be more than happy. For the habs to catch and pass the Sens, we wil have to play close to perfect hockey for the next 2 months whereas the sens would have to play mediocre hockey...which won't happen. At least not for a long period of time!

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers...ta-all-sta.html

These are the probabilities, based on the season's results so far, and the remaining schedule, for each team to make the playoffs.

Obviously it's not perfect, but Toronto would have to have a very improbable last 40% of the year to make it.

Barry Melrose is picking the Habs and the Sharks to meet in the finals this year!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3218474

"Melrose: I had the New York Rangers and San Jose, but I think I am changing to Montreal and San Jose. The Sharks haven't been as dominant as I thought they would be, but they are still right there in the mix. The Canadiens? I like the way they are playing right now and have good depth in net. I have to change at this point as the Rangers just don't look strong right now. Ottawa had a strong start, but it just doesn't look dominant anymore. "

***It's probably a long shot, but it's nice to finally be getting a little bit of respect around the league again.***

Edited by brboo

Still keeping pace boys.

6 pts back with a game in hand.

Apparently Allfie left after the second period with a hip injury tonight.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!

Injuries will happen we got lucky with Kovalev tonight.

Ummm...ever heard of the Detroit Red Wings? They are by far, the BEST team in the NHL. Remember how they beat the crap out of our Habs earlier this year?

As much as I am very happy about the win over Jersey, I don't believe we should start planning the parade route just yet. Our boys still haven'T proven to me that they could beat the Senators, let alone the Red Wings!

First of all, please re-read the title of the thread; its all about catching the Sens & first in the EAST.

Secondly, yes I do remember that @sskicking.

Finally, what happened to the "no negativity" clause regarding this particular thread?

If it's Boston - as Donnie Brasco would say - Forget about it.

Truth be told, maybe we're all right - just about every team will be heading into the post season sharp since it's going to be a dogfight all the way in for each and every position.

I wouldn't be surprised if all four post-season matchups in the East are decided over the last couple days of the season considering the parity of it all.

Hey, you never know... lol.

Hey, I guess the "new nhl" is working! :wacko:

First of all, please re-read the title of the thread; its all about catching the Sens & first in the EAST.

Secondly, yes I do remember that @sskicking.

Finally, what happened to the "no negativity" clause regarding this particular thread?

I'm not being negative, i'm a realist. Let's not get our panties all wet because our boys have won a couple of games. :blink::P:o:D;)

We have 5 games left vs the Hens. If we can pick up 7 of those possible 10 points, then I think we have a chance. Lets not forget that Heatly will be back at some point for the Hens, and that will make it even harder for us to catch up to them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy to see our boys play well since the X-mas break (the Habs have a 10-2-2-0 record since Dec 26th), which is pretty damn good. But let's just take it easy and see what happens in the Month of February. The Habs play 14 games in 27 nights...it'll be a tough schedule!

Edited by Habsfan

I'm not being negative, i'm a realist. Let's not get our panties all wet because our boys have won a couple of games. :blink::P:o:D;)

This thread was never about being a realist, or detroit, or a trade etc.......... The point was about being happy that they are winning games.

Keep the mindset of Alex Kovalev please. I don't want to talk about Alexander Ovechkin, The detroit red wings, Marleau or saku Koivu. I want to talk about how well the Montreal Canadiens are playing and cheer them on in the battle for first place, because guess what if you haven't checked, they're in one.

Love it

Go Habs Go!!!!!

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE

Just keeping pace with the Sens who are considered the top team in the East is meaningful

enough.

I wish we win as many games as possible and the Sens to do so too, not because

i like them, just because if they win conference games it keep the other teams away from us.

Just plain stupid this conference ranking division leader 1-2-3 . This morning we would be in the second place

not the fourth.

We could very well be within 2 pts of them by the end of next week.. we play 'em twice in that week, with the Leafs as a break in beetween ^_^

Here's how our schedule looks like till the end of the season:

5 times : Ottawa

3 times : Buffalo, Toronto

2 times : Boston , Rangers, Islanders , Philly , NJ

1 time : Pittsburgh , Washington, Tampa, Florida , Atlanta , Columbus , St Louis, Phoenix, LA , San Jose, Anaheim

Total : 32 games (18 home / 14 away)

13 divisional game

13 out of division

6 out of conference

As for Ottawa...

5 times : Montréal , Boston

4 times : Toronto

3 times : Buffalo

2 times : New Jersey , Pittsburgh , Philly

1 time : Florida, Carolina , Columbus , St Louis , Anaheim , San Jose , LA, Phoenix

Total : 31 games ( 15 home / 16 away)

17 divisional game

8 out of division

6 out of conference

Just checking out the standings this morning got me thinking about how important it actually may be for us to end up in first.

As teams bounce in and out of the play-off picture 6th 7th an 8 th place are going to go down to the wire. Not a position any of the habs should want to be in including us fans.

If we play well the rest of the way and only stay in 5th or 4th position we will most likely have to play Pittsburgh or New Jersey. I think we can beat both teams, but Crosby and Brodeur do raise they're game in Montreal and we should avoid them at alll cost.

If we were to dominate the rest of the season and grab first, our first round opponents would most likely be one of NYI, Boston, Buffalo, Carolina, Atlanta, or maybe washington.............all teams we can destroy in a 7 game series. That would put us in the second round and possible conference final which would be a huge confidence builder and UFA attraction going into 09/10 season.

Focus Boys!!!!!!!!!! This is the year we show the Northeast division there is a new team in town to contend with.

Instead of the Ottawa bench making bets that they'll hold the habs under ten shots, the montreal bench can place bets they'll take first!!!!!!!!!

Here's how our schedule looks like till the end of the season:

5 times : Ottawa

3 times : Buffalo, Toronto

2 times : Boston , Rangers, Islanders , Philly , NJ

1 time : Pittsburgh , Washington, Tampa, Florida , Atlanta , Columbus , St Louis, Phoenix, LA , San Jose, Anaheim

Total : 32 games (18 home / 14 away)

13 divisional game

13 out of division

6 out of conference

As for Ottawa...

5 times : Montréal , Boston

4 times : Toronto

3 times : Buffalo

2 times : New Jersey , Pittsburgh , Philly

1 time : Florida, Carolina , Columbus , St Louis , Anaheim , San Jose , LA, Phoenix

Total : 31 games ( 15 home / 16 away)

17 divisional game

8 out of division

6 out of conference

It looks like Montreal has the easier schedule here.

So these are the guys we gotta catch. This topic is for all things Sens. So I heard that Alfie went down last game. Any word on his status?

From TSN.ca

Alfredsson day-to-day with hip injury

TSN.ca Staff

1/30/2008 1:30:22 PM

The Ottawa Senators may be without the services of Daniel Alfredsson for Thursday's game against Boston, as the captain is day-to-day with a hip injury.

Alfredsson injured his hip during the second period of Tuesday's 5-2 win over the New York Islanders. He played a few more shifts before taking himself out.

"I could have skated, but I didn't want it to get worse," he said after the game.

Alfredsson, who missed three games this month with an injured hip flexor, leads the NHL in scoring with 32 goals and 68 points.

I'd rather see the team keep it's energy and emotion to peak in the playoffs rather than get 1st seed. I'm wary that winning the division would be "enough" and that the team wouldn't be as hungry to prove something in the playoffs.

I'd rather see the team keep it's energy and emotion to peak in the playoffs rather than get 1st seed. I'm wary that winning the division would be "enough" and that the team wouldn't be as hungry to prove something in the playoffs.

I understand what you are saying but I don't think this team fits that mold, not this year.

I understand what you are saying but I don't think this team fits that mold, not this year.

Agreed. I think any success will translate into confidence and energy. You have to remember this is a very young team. I also feel that towards the end and in the play-offs Saku is going to step it up and with him so will Higgins and (Ryder?). Kovalev? He won't burn out this year. I'm hoping he takes us as far as humanly possible because who knows which Kovy's going to show up next year.