Retiring #33

Wamsley01

Retire Patrick Roy's number  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should Patrick Roy's character come into play when retiring his jersey?

• Yes
    • No

http://habsinsideout.com/boone/5731

Great discussion going on at habsinsideout about retiring Roy's number.

My thoughts as posted there.

I love you Boone, but you need to get off your high horse. I guess Guy Lafleur is a shining example of humanity. Remember him almost killing himself in the 80s by driving drunk? His womanizing (taken from his own book) and this whole ordeal with his son? Let's bring down number 10. He is not the shining example of what it means to be a Canadien! I love Lafleur and he earned that banner

People 35 and under have only to look to Roy as the only bonafide Canadiens superstar, my generation got to see Lafleur, Gainey, Robinson only in their twilight years. Remove him from the equation and we are listening to 1979 Chants and going on 30 years without a Stanley Cup champion. Before Roy my heroes were Denis Herron, Rick Wamsley, Richard Sevigny and Steve Penney. Don't think there would be any parades with those Hall of Famers!

Unless you can vouch for every individual in era's where Mickey Mantle ran around doing anything and everything he wanted and the media protected his Wheaties reputation and this generation where what Roy's son did ends up on youtube but would not have been noticed by anybody outside Laval 15 years ago then you can convince me. But you cannot prove any of that.

Roy quit on the Habs as much as the fans quit on him. Booing the guy who arguably single handidly brought two extra cups to the city of Montreal is just as shameful as Roy telling Corey he was done with the Canadiens.

Who was right anyways? Houle, Corey and Tremblay sure turned into brilliant executives didn't they.

Every single one of us has worked for total buffons and would give their left nut to tell them to shove it like Roy did. Is it Roy's fault that Houle is a moron and did not force him to honour his contract? It is Roy's fault that Houle traded him for 10 cents on the dollar? Nope. That whole situation could have been handled more effectively if Corey had not hired rookies for two of the toughest jobs in sports.

He is an All-Time great, he is the best goalie of his generation and he will be in the rafters come next season.

Feel free to wade in. I am sure there will be a large split here as well.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted no but I think that montreal may be reluctant to do it sooner rather than later.

maybe when he stops being an asshole he'll get in.

Last time I checked, jersey retirement was based on skill and accomplishments. I don't think Roy's attitude should effect the decision to retire it. Let's just hope he's classy enough to show up for the ceremony and behave himself.

I voted yes because it should be taken into account. However, I don't think he was horrible enough to take away from his dominance. Patrick Roy's number has got to be retired.

Jersey retirement should be based on contribution according to the player's era/generation.

Yes, Roy's jersey should be retired.

Yes, should Saku win a cup or two and play for 4-5 more seasons, his should as well.

Even if for some bizare reason the Habs dont retire Roy's number i can almost guarantee that no Habs will ever wear it again. No player would want to put so much pressure upon themselves.

I don't know a whole lot about his career in Montreal, being an Avalanche fan since '95, but it seems to me that a lot of his character "issues" get blown way out of proportion. He went into a Hartley's office and broke a few TVs after Billington got credit for a win where Billington came in for about 1:00, and the Avalanche scored. The media made it sound like he destroyed the whole office in a blind rage. Later, he went home and broke two french doors at home. The media, local and national, at very least hinted that he was assualting his wife. This thing with his kid... not great, but still, all he did was wave his arm. But, if Crawford is going to be implicated in the Bertuzzi thing, then Roy is just as culpable, if not more, in this situation.

Roy is an angel compared to his counterparts in the NBA and NFL. No drug issues, no performance enhancers issue, and he's not shooting bystanders at night clubs (Ray Lewis, Pacman Jones). He breaks household appliances... I don't find that extremely morally reprehensible. He's always been mean, especially on the ice (ask Dino Ciccarelli), and that came through here. Not a big deal. I voted that they should consider character, but I think he still watches 33 go to the rafters. (#33 hangs in the Pepsi Centre rafters, along with Bourque's #77 (go figure on that one), but Colorado doesn't have nearly as much history as the bleu, blanc, et rouge.)

Edited by Mils

Well for those who voted no look out because it WILL be retired next season.

Wait... I voted "NO" because I thought "character" here refered to his bad temper...

Wamsley01, I think you need to rephrase your poll question! :P

Oh please don't be silly and make up an excuse to not retire the number. Overly sensitive types I swear.

If it wasn't for Montreal's stupid media this wouldn't be the goofiness that it is.

for crying out loud Brett Hull had his jersey retired last year by the Blues. Pretty much the same scenario except Hull wasn't traded he just mocked the organization every night after a game. Which is far worse. Roy will always be a Canadien.

I don't even see how there can be a question. Given the circumstances under which he demanded to be traded, it's hard for me to demonize him for doing so. The man redefined his position and led the Canadiens to two Stanley Cups. His number belongs in the rafters.

I think the question is fine.

It is linked to the article which says that because of his character he should not have his jersey retired.

I say no, it should be what he did on the ice. Therefore I answered No.

Like I posted on Eyes on the Prize

I think that it was the Canadiens plan, Roy may have effed it up for them.

To me watching Habs legends that I barely remember or saw at their tail end is enjoyable but

I can barely relate. I never saw Gainey as a dominant player, nor Lafleur or Robinson.

My generations Lafleur, Beliveau, Richard, Morenz, Joliat was Patrick Roy.

Anybody under 35-40 watching those ceremonies doesn't really understand what we are celebratiing

outside of stories and bad video.

I still feel it would be in the best interest of the Habs to honour the last great link in this dynasty and

that is Patrick Roy.

If not for him I would be like Macaskill and BTH and remember the Habs glory years as Mark Recchi, Vinny Damphousse,

Jocelyn Thibault and Vladamir Malakhov. Roy is the main reason that I will always remember 1993 and 1986.

Retire it. Arguably the greatest goalie of all time, and people are saying he shouldn't be honored just because of some hockey brawl? Okay, granted, he's a bit of an asshole, but that doesn't change what he did for the team.

Didn't Lafleur get into some trouble with the law not too long ago? Tear the banner down!

Well, I was going to come on here and post that I wouldn't retire Roy's number because he was with another team for too long. Looking over the facts before I posted, however, I came across that Jacques Plante played 8 NHL seasons outside of Montreal and Doug Harvey played quite a few seasons away from Montreal also. Given that information, then it's pretty obvious that his number should be retired by Montreal. I was thinking that all the guys with their numbers retired had played at most 3 seasons with another team.

oops just voted the wrong way because of the confusing phrasing :wacko:

What's confusing about it?

Hall of fame for sure.

Retired by Montreal, no way.

Roy burned his bridge with this team as far as I'm concerned when he said he would never play here again. I agree with those posters that have said the Roy situation was a mess and all of those involved were at fault. That does not excuse the fact that he turned his back on the team.

Hall of fame for sure.

Retired by Montreal, no way.

Roy burned his bridge with this team as far as I'm concerned when he said he would never play here again. I agree with those posters that have said the Roy situation was a mess and all of those involved were at fault. That does not excuse the fact that he turned his back on the team.

I couldn't agree more, but he did bring cups to montreal? So im kinda torn on which side to choose.