Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

ok then......here's one for you to discuss- Koivu,Huet,Souray and Kovy for............ME! That's right, you heard correctly....me(FYI- An undersized goon with no offensive upside) :hlogo:

ok then......here's one for you to discuss- Koivu,Huet,Souray and Kovy for............ME! That's right, you heard correctly....me(FYI- An undersized goon with no offensive upside) :hlogo:

Get on the phone Bob!!! The cup is ours with this guy! :P

:hlogo:

You are Ty Domi??

Because I like to read/discuss rumours, too. The statement being made was about forcing all rumours onto one thread.

The reason given for this was that this isn't a rumour site, etc. If someone can explain to me the harm in having a HOCKEY site with more than 1 thread about HOCKEY rumours, when there are threads about nothing, a couple threads about 9/11, threads about Quebec politics, auto accidents, the status of Pluto, and whatever else anyone can think of talking about... please do.

If that's bitching, well give me a slap and call me a bitch.

By the way, I fully respect the mods rights to set the rules here, and will abide by them. I also appreciate their willingness, however reluctantly given, to withstand some constructive criticism of those rules.

^_^

Thank you for your respect... We do our best to hear constructive criticism and distinguish it from groussing, which can also be valuable.

There has been a lot of criticism of the mod team's decision to consolidate the rumour thread. I thought it might help to hear why we decided to do this (at least why I think it was a good idea).

1) There was tons of rumour repeats.

If Code or Eklund reported a Habs-related rumour, we'd often get 3 or 4 reports on the site. This meant that mods had to spend a lot of time cleaning up a lot of threads for rumours which had little probative value.

Whenever a trade, or other major habs-related event occurs, the mod team has to clean up a bunch of repeat threads (e.g. everybody wants to be the first to report the habs signed player X). We sign up to do this sort of clean up and are happy (ok... willing) to do it to keep the board running smoothly. It is harder to summon that same desire to clean up for threads that are much less important to the Canadiens.

2) Rumour threads, by their very nature, greatly overlap.

Rumour 1: Souray is going to be traded to San Jose for a draft pick

Rumour 2: Rivet is going to be traded to San Jose for a draft pick

Rumour 3: Souray is going to be traded to the Ducks for Selanne

(made all these up, obviously)

Now how do I clean this up? Do these all deserve their own thread?

Should I make a thread: "Souray being shopped", "Bob looking to get San Jose's picks", or "Habs going after Selanne"... these rumours could be sliced up a bunch of ways and each is somewhat meaningless without reference to the others.

3) Rumour threads should not be compared to Lounge threads

The Lounge is for things unrelated to hockey... at the very least matters unrelated to North American Hockey. It is thus a relegation for threads unrelated to the thrust of the site.

As a mod, I am generally much more wary of policing the Lounge. I am much more lax in applying most of the requirements of the site. I basically do 2 things when monitoring the Lounge:

1) Make sure theres no hate, flame, spam, or a ridiculous amount of profanity

2) Move hockey-related posts to the other forums (rarely have to do this)

I only merge threads in the lounge when there is an exact repeat of a previous (and recent) post. It should be noted that even in the lounge we have often had "mega threads"... for baseball, soccer, Olympics, NFL, nothing....

Maybe this helps a bit... or at least gives a window into my flawed reasoning...

Gionta? Wooley? Shanahan? Dumont?

Beat who from what rumor.

This thread sucks!!!!!!

Thanks Fanpuck :D

Actually when I responded to your rumour posting about Wooley there already was an original one that had been posted sometime earlier by Shortcat1, so the reply actually made sense at that time. Unfortunately, once it was flipped into this thread then it lost it's proper context. If I'd known that this was going to be moved then I'd have quoted Shortcat1 in order to clarify this reply.

Hope that sort of explains what happened.....

Edited by beliveau1

I would rule out Woolley now as he has been invited to the Hurricanes training camp.

gainey offered a two contract.

he's not a big loss..i'd rather streit since we're already paying him. besides he was playing better at tthe end of last season.

any rumours on the jack johnson situation in carolina??... i'd love for montreal to at least put a package together for him :P ... he'd strike fear with many forwards trying to dipsy doodle over the blueline ;)

heard an interview on RDS with jonhson and he said that his favourite team groing up was montreal. I don't know if he said that just to be polite but it did sound good in my ear.

Eklund reports that Carolina wants a first line forward and a #3-4 defenceman.

That would be something like Kovalev and Souray for a kid that will be in university for atleast 3 more years. The price is pretty steep for us.

So we couldn't carey the burden of this level of talent drain? :?- :wacko: :?-

Hmmmmmmmm........... :huh:

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Eklund reports that Carolina wants a first line forward and a #3-4 defenceman.

That would be something like Kovalev and Souray for a kid that will be in university for atleast 3 more years. The price is pretty steep for us.

He won't be in university for atleast 3 more years. I'd be surprised if he isn't playing fo an NHL team next season. That price isn't so steep. It would something more like Perezhogin + Komisarek, I think. I'm guessing they want younger, cheaper guys. Not terrible.

i would let go of perezhogin and a first rounder for this guy,

but they probably want a starting d-man too cause of the injury situation.

maybe dandenault?

According to Eklund the Habs are considering signing Bondra.

"Bondra

Today @ 11:05 AM ET | Comments (20)

Peter Bondra still has a lot in the tank. In a league where power plays are prevalent it is hard to imagine that no one will pay the small amount needed to land Bondra. Montreal (e3) and Detroit (e3) are apparently the two teams currently looking at this option. But according to a source very close to the situation, another team, the New York Rangers, are watching this closely as well…"

I agree it doesn't make sense unless he called him right after Kovalev hurt himself, lol.

If Cote's injury is more serious then a d-man is a priority. I for one can believe that you can never have enough players. A couple injuries to key players and the team could be in trouble.

Edited by Mr. Nasty

it's not really a rumor but more of a fantasy

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20060920...5128/CPSPORTS01

translation: jack jonhson could be traded...I know the price would be huge but such a quality D man doesn't come so often

and MTL is his fav team? Kovy his fav player? la presse says Gainey is looking into this....well can't wait to see if this is true! still the only D the hurricanes would accept is either Komi or Markov plus a prospect! no less than that! dont think the canes would want Rivet nor Souray