Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I'm not sure where they're at, but if Sundin accepted their offer, they can be over the cap by 10%. Then they'd get to work clearing space before the season starts. Montreal may have to do the same thing if Sundin decides to sign here - depending on how much the deal is for.

the Canucks sit with $10,069,134 left in the bank.

Enough to sign Mats to the money offered and put a nice downpayment on a house.

That'S the thing, i don't think we can consider Komi to be a number 1 defenseman. He lacks the offensive skill set to be a true number 1. That's why he's a number 2 in Montreal.

I don't consider him a #1 defenceman either, but we don't need him to be - we have a good #1 in Markov. When it comes to physical defenceman though, there is probably no one better at it than Komisarek. I would rather be paying Komisarek 6 million than Brian Campbell 7.1. *shrugs*

A new garbage rumour out of Vancouver that Sundin will sign in 10 days max with them. Vancouver rumours? I AM NO LONGER BUYING GARBAGE! Their fans are getting on nerves. Vancouver has the 2nd or 3rd best goalie in the league. Possibly even the best in the league. Their D isn't superstar. It's over rated but they're a very stable unit. Then, you have the popgun offence, turnstyle (bring in Bulis or bring in Wellwood) mentality. I call this type of thinking; "wasting Luongo". Their fans seem to be so desperate to sign him that they are getting hostile. Hence, why I am presently crapping on them :lol:

I think the odds are better for Sundin ending up in Vancouver than in Montreal. The Swede still has a love for the Leafs and while I doubt he'll sign in the Centre of the Universe, I think he'll snub Montreal to play out west in deference to Leaf fans who would see him in Montreal as the ultimate betrayal. He's just that kind of guy.

Then again, maybe he'll sign in Detroit for $2.5M. Stranger things have happened.

I think the odds are better for Sundin ending up in Vancouver than in Montreal. The Swede still has a love for the Leafs and while I doubt he'll sign in the Centre of the Universe, I think he'll snub Montreal to play out west in deference to Leaf fans who would see him in Montreal as the ultimate betrayal. He's just that kind of guy.

Then again, maybe he'll sign in Detroit for $2.5M. Stranger things have happened.

Hasn't he said that he doesn't want to play in the West? Something about not being able to handle all the traveling involved.

As for having deference to Leafs fans, why should he care what they think after they turned on him for not waiving his no trade clause? He was loyal to his team and they metaphorically spit in his face.

My point was that another team could defo look at Komi as their #1 - even if he is considered our '#1 Defensive d-man' (whatever that means). The Devils didn't so too badly with Stevens as their #1.

Besides, tie game, late in third, you wouldn't want Komi out there?

As for Sundin, the soap-opera atmosphere is getting a bit much. I doubt he'll come. St. Patrick had a good comment about it ion RDS.

Breezer for 2 years, Christ I hope not.

My point was that another team could defo look at Komi as their #1 - even if he is considered our '#1 Defensive d-man' (whatever that means). The Devils didn't so too badly with Stevens as their #1.

Besides, tie game, late in third, you wouldn't want Komi out there?

As for Sundin, the soap-opera atmosphere is getting a bit much. I doubt he'll come. St. Patrick had a good comment about it ion RDS.

Breezer for 2 years, Christ I hope not.

What did Roy say about it?

Hasn't he said that he doesn't want to play in the West? Something about not being able to handle all the traveling involved.

As for having deference to Leafs fans, why should he care what they think after they turned on him for not waiving his no trade clause? He was loyal to his team and they metaphorically spit in his face.

I don't think that Sundin has stated on the record a preference for playing anywhere in particular, other than Toronto - it's all hearsay and conjecture that he wants to stay in the east. Having said that, it's probably true that it's his preference, but I doubt he's definitively ruled out the whole western conference based on that.

I agree he shouldn't have any obligation to Leaf fans, but I think you're overstating the response against him when he didn't waive at the trade deadline. Yes, there were some pissed off posters on internet message boards, and some media grumblings, but there were also a lot of people who respected his decision. I didn't hear any booing (although there were undoubtedly some isolated cases of such) or any other large-scale negative reaction while watching some of their home games on TV.

At this stage of his career, I think one consideration in his decision will be his legacy, which will be impacted if he comes to Montreal. That's not to say it will be the decisive consideration, but it will be an issue to balance amongst the others (e.g. possible preference for the east, more $ in Vancouver, etc.). Personally, I don't think anybody in Toronto should begrudge him the right to play wherever he wants (and there are a fair amount of Toronto fans who agree). I also think any 'taint' from playing in Montreal will be temporary, and Leaf fans will embrace him once again upon his retirement. (Of course, if he wins the Cup in Montreal, it will be more difficult for them to get over it!) Hopefully, Sundin agrees and the issue won't be a big factor in his decision, but nobody knows what's going through his head at any given moment. As you say, he has shown a lot of loyalty to the Toronto organization and fans - not just lately, but for a long time - so it wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to avoid the whole perception of disloyalty by signing somewhere other than Montreal (or Ottawa, but they're apparently not in the running).

Has Mats decided?

It may be from Ek, but so far this year his rumors haven't been completely off the wall, but I also haven't been reading his site that often.

This is what he hears and no mention of Toronto. Hmmmmmmm.

Multiple sources are saying that the recent optimism that we are seeing tonight has come from the fact that Mats Sundin has indeed decided to play hockey this season.

In Vancouver radio reports are rampant that Mats is "really really close to signing with the Canucks." and indeed sources are indicating to me that the entire Canucks organization has locked it down and zero'd in on "some kind of Mats news that was surprising and came unexpectedly."

How intriguing has this become?

In Montreal meanwhile, behind a fortress of steel and electric fences, it would appear as though the Canadiens too have become renewed, although not as much nor not as openly enthusiastic as the Canuacks staff..

But then again the Habs are always reserved and always in shut down mode.

Either way it is blatantly obvious that "something big has happened tonight and that something has been told to the Canadiens and Canucks, and has given both teams a reason to believe that each has a definite shot at this.

One source speculated, "If I didn't know better I would say Mats told them that it is between the two of them and that they should both put forth their finest offer and in 7-10 days Mats will decide."

I continue to hear that Mats is leaning towards wanting to do a "one off" deal in case things dont work out. This is an option many of his peers have opted for as well at this point in their careers.

stay tuned for more in the early morning hours.

Has Mats decided?

It may be from Ek, but so far this year his rumors haven't been completely off the wall, but I also haven't been reading his site that often.

This is what he hears and no mention of Toronto. Hmmmmmmm.

Multiple sources are saying that the recent optimism that we are seeing tonight has come from the fact that Mats Sundin has indeed decided to play hockey this season.

In Vancouver radio reports are rampant that Mats is "really really close to signing with the Canucks." and indeed sources are indicating to me that the entire Canucks organization has locked it down and zero'd in on "some kind of Mats news that was surprising and came unexpectedly."

How intriguing has this become?

In Montreal meanwhile, behind a fortress of steel and electric fences, it would appear as though the Canadiens too have become renewed, although not as much nor not as openly enthusiastic as the Canuacks staff..

But then again the Habs are always reserved and always in shut down mode.

Either way it is blatantly obvious that "something big has happened tonight and that something has been told to the Canadiens and Canucks, and has given both teams a reason to believe that each has a definite shot at this.

One source speculated, "If I didn't know better I would say Mats told them that it is between the two of them and that they should both put forth their finest offer and in 7-10 days Mats will decide."

I continue to hear that Mats is leaning towards wanting to do a "one off" deal in case things dont work out. This is an option many of his peers have opted for as well at this point in their careers.

stay tuned for more in the early morning hours.

wow! I better reload hockeybuzz over and over again!

AC, Luongo IS the best goalie in the league and the Canucks have got probably the second best defence, only after Detroit. Their bottom six forwards are set for the next few years. How is this wasting Luongo? This is the most common strategy used with elite goalies, build a shutdown fortress around him. With just one impact forward (Grabner?) the Canucks would be a definite playoff team - without one, they seem to be out of the picture though. If they stay healthy, they are a top 5 defensive team in the league. The biggest mistake they've made in the past few years has been firing Nonis. I'm not so confident they can complete get back to the top without him.

AC, Luongo IS the best goalie in the league and the Canucks have got probably the second best defence, only after Detroit. Their bottom six forwards are set for the next few years. How is this wasting Luongo? This is the most common strategy used with elite goalies, build a shutdown fortress around him. With just one impact forward (Grabner?) the Canucks would be a definite playoff team - without one, they seem to be out of the picture though. If they stay healthy, they are a top 5 defensive team in the league. The biggest mistake they've made in the past few years has been firing Nonis. I'm not so confident they can complete get back to the top without him.

Methinks we got Sundin.

I'll explain how, He wants to play in the East......

Mats was his favourite player......

Best chance to win the cup...........

Methinks we got Sundin.

you think Bob Called Mats Naslund to tell him to go visit Sundin??? lol Mind you Im not making fun at this

I would be Happy if id did happen!

Edited by CoRvInA

Methinks we got Sundin.

I wasn't talking about Sundin at all - but I don't see what attraction Vancouver has for Sundin other than money. I still see us as the favourites.

A new garbage rumour out of Vancouver that Sundin will sign in 10 days max with them. Vancouver rumours? I AM NO LONGER BUYING GARBAGE! Their fans are getting on nerves. Vancouver has the 2nd or 3rd best goalie in the league. Possibly even the best in the league. Their D isn't superstar. It's over rated but they're a very stable unit. Then, you have the popgun offence, turnstyle (bring in Bulis or bring in Wellwood) mentality. I call this type of thinking; "wasting Luongo". Their fans seem to be so desperate to sign him that they are getting hostile. Hence, why I am presently crapping on them :lol:

Canuck fans are taking stupid pills. They think with Sundin they are contenders? OK!! They really think Vancouver is a better situation for Sundin and totally disregarding Montreal like were a second rate city. You should hear these guys!! WE (HABS) ARE THE YANKEES OF HOCKEY....YOU (KNUCKLEHEADS) ARE THE KC ROYALS OF HOCKEY...GOT IT!! Enjoy the rain. AGAIN

Canuck fans are taking stupid pills. They think with Sundin they are contenders? OK!! They really think Vancouver is a better situation for Sundin and totally disregarding Montreal like were a second rate city. You should hear these guys!! WE (HABS) ARE THE YANKEES OF HOCKEY....YOU (KNUCKLEHEADS) ARE THE KC ROYALS OF HOCKEY...GOT IT!! Enjoy the rain. AGAIN

He is not going to Vancouver. They are kidding themselves. Toronto, Montreal or retire.

If Brett Favre can suit up with somebody other than the Packers this year, Sundin can put on the blue, blanc et rouge

He is not going to Vancouver. They are kidding themselves. Toronto, Montreal or retire.

If Brett Favre can suit up with somebody other than the Packers this year, Sundin can put on the blue, blanc et rouge

I'm always trying to figure our Gaineys next move. But, ya know, we never realize it till

its done.

Seems to me we have a very smart management team in place that seems to be one

step ahead of most others, even us.

Why would Gainey trade Grabovsky, our only ready or capable prospect that can

play C on our top 2 lines without having a backup plan or another deal ready to

come down?

Why would Gainey save our available cap space?

Something big is in the works.

I wasn't talking about Sundin at all - but I don't see what attraction Vancouver has for Sundin other than money. I still see us as the favourites.

Right, excuse me.

I'm just in vacation mode, have been for the last 2 weeks.

Its BBQ's and partying and sometimes stupid posts.

well said

So the Habs have traded their two depth offensive centerman, Grabs and Locke. I think that Gainey will want more depth than just Maxwell or Desharnais or Corso for a replacement offensive centerman in Hamilton.

I think that for sure Gainey will add another centerman, I pray that it is Sundin but if not I think it will be a good veteran two-way centre, who can win faceoffs and fill in on a scoring line if necessary, like Smolinski was supposed to be. Probably have to be acquired through a trade.

I just have to remind everybody that Mats Sundin has said it overa a thousands of times.

He will finish his career with the Maple Leafs.

I do realize that last years incident with the no-trade clause thing could have made him to reconcider. But still. I would be surprised to see Sundin in a Nucks or a Habs uniform.

Just as a reminder.

I just have to remind everybody that Mats Sundin has said it overa a thousands of times.

He will finish his career with the Maple Leafs.

I do realize that last years incident with the no-trade clause thing could have made him to reconcider. But still. I would be surprised to see Sundin in a Nucks or a Habs uniform.

Just as a reminder.

This is just Leaf's propaganda. Mats has said many things like "I see myself finishing my career as a Leaf" and "I have always wanted to retire as a Leaf" but he has never said straight out that he will finish his career in Toronto. I find it significant that he has never actually made a plain straightforward assertion that he wouldn't leave Toronto.