Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I just have to remind everybody that Mats Sundin has said it overa a thousands of times.

He will finish his career with the Maple Leafs.

I do realize that last years incident with the no-trade clause thing could have made him to reconcider. But still. I would be surprised to see Sundin in a Nucks or a Habs uniform.

Just as a reminder.

I agree totally. I dont think he will sign with anyone else but the leafs and with Sundin I bet they could squeeze into the playoffs and do some dmg. Id be lying though if I didnt say Id LOVE for him to sign for 1 year or 2 with us instead.

How is this wasting Luongo?
I'm referring to the turnstyle offence they keep producing whether it be Wellwood or Bulis. By the time they figure out the direction they are heading it's very possible that Lu will not be part of the equation. Are they going to compete this year? Did they compete last year? The year before? It's going on three years of the best goalie and look what we have today? As for Demitra, we aren't talking prime anymore. Heck, he was the last big UFA out there (besides Mats) to be signed. Why did Demitra go last?

So, in general. Maybe they aren't wasting him but they'd better do something to change my perspective. Going on year 3.....

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

I just have to remind everybody that Mats Sundin has said it overa a thousands of times.

He will finish his career with the Maple Leafs.

I do realize that last years incident with the no-trade clause thing could have made him to reconcider. But still. I would be surprised to see Sundin in a Nucks or a Habs uniform.

Just as a reminder.

Mats has said "he would like" to finish his career with the Maple Leafs.

http://www.hockey.com/hockey-news/nhl-news...-elsewhere.aspx

"I do think that I have a lot of different options I can explore," Sundin said. "And I think I still remain (maintain) that I want to end my career as a Toronto Maple Leaf. Saying that, though, the way the situation is right now, I don't have everything in my control, either. There's got to be a mutual agreement there.

"At this point, I don't have anything I can say about what's going to happen next year personally. I don't know.

That does not look like a slam dunk to me. I also am not sure that the Leafs want him back. They have indicated publicly that

they do, but the Leafs are way to concerned with the fans perception to say otherwise.

It is far from a guarantee that he returns in Toronto

souray had unfinished business in montreal... just sayin'

Professional athletes are full of shit in general. Souray could have stayed for 5M+.

Well good on Souray when he watches the Habs skate around the ice with the Cup.

Carlos Boozer agreeing to a deal and taking a bigger one, Elton Brand just did the same thing a week ago.

You could list a hell of a lot more athletes who didn't stand by their word than those who did.

Sundin is a pretty honourable guy, but he also was treated poorly. Those with honour do not respect

those who would dishonour them.

This thing is up in the air. If it wasn't he would have signed a deal with the Leafs 3 months ago.

Edited by Wamsley01

In Vancouver radio reports are rampant that Mats is "really really close to signing with the Canucks." and indeed sources are indicating to me that the entire Canucks organization has locked it down and zero'd in on "some kind of Mats news that was surprising and came unexpectedly."

How intriguing has this become?

In Montreal meanwhile, behind a fortress of steel and electric fences, it would appear as though the Canadiens too have become renewed, although not as much nor not as openly enthusiastic as the Canuacks staff..

:lol: Now we have this:

Sources continue to tell me that the Montreal Canadiens are leading the way for Mats, so much so that although they won't always call him by name, "waiting on a big player before we can make that decision" is something that several people have told me they have discussed with the Habs.

There is however another growing theory, brought up by a source in Western Canada yesterday, but also gaining momentum all over the league.

"Many people now feel that Sundin is waiting on the NY Rangers. That is the holdup" one source told me.

Obviously the Rangers would have to move mountains to bring in Mats cap-wise...Just remember: The only team that Mats approached himself to play for was the NY Rangers.

Another theorized that Mats has talked to several players about retirement, and a few that have played most of their careers with one organization who told Mats they regretted going to a different team at the end of their careers.

It is very possible that Mats will go back to the Leafs to finish his career, and you really couldn't blame him for doing so.

Oh brother. The truth is, no one knows what he is going to do. He could even go to Washington if they dumped Kozlov to LA or what if Khabibulin goes to LA? Would Chicago become a player?

We really don't know. There's lots of things that can happen. All I can do is hope. I love how Ek brings up the Rag$. That's ridiculous :lol:

Need we remind Ek of the Journal de Montréal article today that Mats is fishing this week and enjoying family time?

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl080715.html

Poor Ek doesn't read other media I guess. :lol:

:lol: Now we have this:

Oh brother. The truth is, no one knows what he is going to do. He could even go to Washington if they dumped Kozlov to LA or what if Khabibulin goes to LA? Would Chicago become a player?

We really don't know. There's lots of things that can happen. All I can do is hope. I love how Ek brings up the Rag$. That's ridiculous :lol:

Need we remind Ek of the Journal de Montréal article today that Mats is fishing this week and enjoying family time.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl080715.html

Poor Ek doesn't read other media I guess. :lol:

Why does anybody still read Eklund? The guy throws shit at the wall and then claims success for whatever sticks

Why does anybody still read Eklund? The guy throws shit at the wall and then claims success for whatever sticks
I love how he immediately linked the first round pick that Gainey traded at the draft with Mats signing in Montreal. We had already acquired Mats' nego rights. CKAC reported a 1st had been moved by the Habs yet the Tanguay return was unknown. Eklund linked the two stories and reported that the 1st was the return for the nego rights meaning Sundin was a Canadien. I suspected that it was a different move. It's pretty bad when some fan beats out a "supposed reputable blogger".

I love how he immediately linked the first round pick that Gainey traded at the draft with Mats signing in Montreal. We had already acquired Mats' nego rights. CKAC reported a 1st had been moved by the Habs yet the Tanguay return was unknown. Eklund linked the two stories and reported that the 1st was the return for the nego rights meaning Sundin was a Canadien. I suspected that it was a different move. It's pretty bad when some fan beats out a "supposed reputable blogger".

It is amazing how he just posts nonsense daily and people give his page hits.

It is amazing how he just posts nonsense daily and people give his page hits.

Agreed! I never read that moron. 90% of what he says ends up being B.S.!!!

Sundin won't make up his mind until mid August. There's no need to start looking for info on him until then!

Enjoy your summer boys! It's beautiful out there! :clap::D

I'm referring to the turnstyle offence they keep producing whether it be Wellwood or Bulis. By the time they figure out the direction they are heading it's very possible that Lu will not be part of the equation. Are they going to compete this year? Did they compete last year? The year before? It's going on three years of the best goalie and look what we have today? As for Demitra, we aren't talking prime anymore. Heck, he was the last big UFA out there (besides Mats) to be signed. Why did Demitra go last?

So, in general. Maybe they aren't wasting him but they'd better do something to change my perspective. Going on year 3.....

*shrug*

Two years ago, they DID compete - the Canucks won the division.

Last year, they could very well have won the division again had it not been for a ton of major injuries, especially to their defence. Vancouver plays a defensive system and they rely heavily on their defence to win games, without it, they don't have much because as you said, they have been trying out bargain basement forwards for a while.

This year, they might very well compete. They've kept all their old faces together except for Naslund who can be replaced neatly by Demitra and then they added Bernier who could be just the guy the Sedins need. If they still healthy then yes they should be a playoff team. Not contenders until they improve that offence though.

They tried very hard to get Brad Richards at the deadline (and have gone after plenty of other offensive UFA - they know that they have a problem, they've just been turned down liek Ganiey has) and had they made that trade they would be one of the better teams in the league this year. That's all they need to make them jump from a 7th seed calibre team to a 3rd seed: one legitimate offensive player. In hindsight, with Luc's passing, they must be a little bit sorry that they didn't make that trade.

*shrug*

Two years ago, they DID compete - the Canucks won the division.

Last year, they could very well have won the division again...

My mind won't change BTH. I appreciate your post and I agree that I'm being too harsh but this team just baffles me. Until there is change I'll still hold this opinion. And, I definitely don't want to get into a p___ing contest especially with you since you are one of my favs on this board.

Cheerio

For the benefit of discussion and that of hockey deprived Vancouverites I Too wish the Knuckles make the playoffs but unless there is a miracle chemistry in this multiple 4th line squad they will have to fight like hell for that 8th spot

And I doubt they pull something like the Habs did last year... On paper to me the habs had all the chances of making the playoffs but were still thought to miss it by the hockey media... Im very interested to see what the so called experts in Hockey magazines predict how the canucks will do

Edited by CoRvInA

Like I said, I believe that if they stay healthy, they can be a 7th seed - not a contender, just a team that clinches their playoff spot in their final 3 games. If guys like Bieksa, Salo, Demitra and Ohlund get injured again, they will have absolutely no chance of making the playoffs. But on paper alone, they are a better team than people give them credit for and that is because their defence and bottom six forwards are underrated by most people. What they need is a player to play off the rush with the Sedins. Bernier could be that player and Demitra could be that player but I think they're going to have to wait for Grabner.

Cole, Brule, Visnovsky, Cogliano, Gagner etc....

Bertuzzi, Cammelleri, Langkow, Iginla etc....

Kesler, Wellwood, Pratt and Bernier MUST deliver. They're difficult to gauge this Vancouver team. :rolleyes:

Still, overall I can't sugercoat the situation for Vancouver. Of course they should try to acquire Sundin. But, I still see a scoring imbalance. The Sedin's are going to have to really carry a good load of Canucks offence. Demitra will be dependable. But, IMO he isn't the answer. :blink: Not long term. Good news for Canucks fans is the hope that the change of scenery lights him on fire! Will he? Dependable ain't good enough. No way!

My frustration with the Canucks and their attempt to acquire Sundin is the short sightedness by Gillis. Gainey doesn't even really need Sundin and the Canucks might handcuff themselves in getting him. The pressure to trump Lowe and Sutter and other division rivals might force Gillis to make alternative moves to improve the team. Habs fans and Gainey want Sundin but can live without him. Vancouver fans and Gillis are more desperate. That speaks volumes.

So, in short; If I were a Canucks fan I wouldn't want this to drag on too long. Vancouver need Mats badly. Montreal, not so bad. The longer it takes for him to decide is advantage Montreal or Toronto. If Gillis (rumour) acquires Gionta, that might change the cap situation for Vancouver and put them out of reach on the 10 million offer. Meanwhile, Gainey can offer 9 million if he really wants to.

THE LONGER THIS TAKES...

...to be continued....

I agree with BTH 100%. The Canucks are quite respectable and will probably be this season's "surprise" to the many "experts" who base their predictions mostly on last year's performance and fantasy-style inferences from stats. The Nonis-Vigneault mold - build from the back end out, based on a very strong top-4 defence corps and arguably the best goalie in the business - ensures a very competitive club despite anemic offence. Luongo had an off year due to personal issues, and the blueline was decimated with ridiculous injuries; and they still almost made it. Unless that bizarre history repeats itself, they will be a playoff team. And I don't buy the "everyone else has gotten better" argument. Every year, teams that look solid on paper fold, and teams that the "experts" wrote off make the playoffs.

What really drives me crazy is that Gillis will get all the credit for the return to respectability in Vancouver and Nonis, who was unjustly fired by idiot ownership, none of it - despite the team being fundamentally his. I expect that it will take two or three years before the deep rot created by the horrendous asset management of the Burke years, coupled with what appears to be newly moronic ownership (aided and abetted by a particularly dumb-ass fan base) finally sinks that particular ship.

Having said all of that, in sheer hockey terms Montreal remains a much better team, and if Mats wants to win rather than cash in, he should come with us. But it should be noted that hockey players are no better judges of team talent than anyone else - witness that idiot Ryan Smyth choosing to play for those incredible "contenders" the Avalanche over the Habs last season :lol::lol: Mats may just compare goalies and go with Vancouver. Nothing would surprise me.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I agree with BTH 100%. The Canucks are quite respectable and will probably be this season's "surprise" to the many "experts" who base their predictions mostly on last year's performance and fantasy-style inferences from stats. The Nonis-Vigneault mold - build from the back end out, based on a very strong top-4 defence corps and arguably the best goalie in the business - ensures a very competitive club despite anemic offence. Luongo had an off year due to personal issues, and the blueline was decimated with ridiculous injuries; and they still almost made it. Unless that bizarre history repeats itself, they will be a playoff team. And I don't buy the "everyone else has gotten better" argument. Every year, teams that look solid on paper fold, and teams that the "experts" wrote off make the playoffs.

What really drives me crazy is that Gillis will get all the credit for the return to respectability in Vancouver and Nonis, who was unjustly fired by idiot ownership, none of it - despite the team being fundamentally his. I expect that it will take two or three years before the deep rot created by the horrendous asset management of the Burke years, coupled with what appears to be newly moronic ownership (aided and abetted by a particularly dumb-ass fan base) finally sinks that particular ship.

Having said all of that, in sheer hockey terms Montreal remains a much better team, and if Mats wants to win rather than cash in, he should come with us. But it should be noted that hockey players are no better judges of team talent than anyone else - witness that idiot Ryan Smyth choosing to play for those incredible "contenders" the Avalanche over the Habs last season :lol::lol: Mats may just compare goalies and go with Vancouver. Nothing would surprise me.

I agree about the Canucks being better than they showed last year. Firing Nonis was bizarre to say the least and

whoever gives him a second shot will be rewarded. But I cannot take the Canucks serious with the offense they have.

They desperately need Sundin.

But I think Sundin understands what the Habs are all about playing them 8 times a year last year. And I also doubt

Sundin makes the jump to the Western Conference.

My money is still on the Habs in this derby, with the Leafs clinging to the outside and retirement a stride behind.

But I think Sundin understands what the Habs are all about playing them 8 times a year last year. And I also doubt

Sundin makes the jump to the Western Conference.

That is probably the biggest argument against SUndin going to the western conference. WHy would a guy who is 37 years go to the western conference and travel TWICE as much as an eastern team in his final years as a player? Let's not kid ourselves, besides the Flames and Oilers, the Canucks are pretty far away from every other team.

Also, it has been reported numerous times that Sundin has made over 70 million$ in his career. What's an extra 5 or 6 million$ over two years gonna change? 10 million$ from Vancouver or 7 million$ from Toronto or Montreal.

Minor news, but the final RFA the Habs need to sign may be bolting for Germany:

Meanwhile, Bulldogs defenceman Marvin Degon told the Wolfsburger Nachricten newspaper in Wolfsburg, Germany, that he's been negotiating with the EHC Wolfsburg Grizzly Adams in the DEL league. "In the next days there will be a decision," he said.

http://www.thespec.com/article/404211

and why not ?? I don't thinkthat he truly expects to play in montreal one day !!

personally i thought they had signed everyone they wanted to except for the blds