Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

On the first point - I mentioned in another thread that fans will for some reason jump on any player not named Ovechkin or Crosby and discover some reason or other why having that player is a terrible idea. Run down the list of guys that a significant per centage of Habs fans 'haven't wanted' over the years: Lecavalier, Healtey, Kovalchuk, Hossa, Elias, Richards, Marleau, the Sedins, blah blah blah. It's kind of funny.

On the second - no question, Jersey's impressive. But Zubrus and Langenbrunner, while good players, aren't exactly record-shattering phenoms. And if Bob had signed Rolston to that contract he'd be crucified non-stop on these boards. They also have a no-name defence and are minus a top-4 guy after the trade. Let's not go nuts.

Jersey was winning without Paul Martin, and they're getting him back, so I don't think Oduya is a huge loss for them. Fraser stepped up well in Martin's absence, now he and Salmela (who they've had before) will fill in until Martin comes back. And I think there's still a chance they get a D at the deadline, just not a high end guys.

Zubrus and Langenbrunner are top 6 forwards. Simple as that. They have two elite goal scorers, one elite playmaker/all-around guy (Elias), and an emerging centre in Zajac. It's as good as what Washington has.

Jersey definitely has some bad contracts: Salvador was bizarre when handed out, Rolston was excessive, Zubrus is exceedingly long term.... those are reasons why they won't have room to sign Kovalchuk. Having the best goalie in the NHL at $5.2m allows a bit of flexibility to make some Rolston style mistakes, though.

With Bob calling up three forwards from the Bulldogs today it looks like he is about to shake things up.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=...vid=DL|MTL|home

Pleks, Sergei, Pouliot are all banged up and Bergeron is on the IR until next Friday. The callups are most likely a precautionary measure in case none of them can play tomorrow.

Pleks, Sergei, Pouliot are all banged up and Bergeron is on the IR until next Friday. The callups are most likely a precautionary measure in case none of them can play tomorrow.

WOW! I hadn't heard they were all banged up, if we have no Cammy, Andrei, Sergei, Pouliot and not Plex we have no hope. Maybe we play two goalies at once...

Jersey was winning without Paul Martin, and they're getting him back, so I don't think Oduya is a huge loss for them. Fraser stepped up well in Martin's absence, now he and Salmela (who they've had before) will fill in until Martin comes back. And I think there's still a chance they get a D at the deadline, just not a high end guys.

Zubrus and Langenbrunner are top 6 forwards. Simple as that. They have two elite goal scorers, one elite playmaker/all-around guy (Elias), and an emerging centre in Zajac. It's as good as what Washington has.

Jersey definitely has some bad contracts: Salvador was bizarre when handed out, Rolston was excessive, Zubrus is exceedingly long term.... those are reasons why they won't have room to sign Kovalchuk. Having the best goalie in the NHL at $5.2m allows a bit of flexibility to make some Rolston style mistakes, though.

Well... looking at nhlnumbers.com, they have 41M$ involved with VERY FEW impact players to sign. I'd say they can manage to dump Pandolfo and Rob Nieds to make room as well. Doesn't look so desperate as they will only need a little bit of creativity from Lamoriello.

not that i put much credence in him, but Ekland's got an interesting rumour about the OIlers wanting Price. return would be Brule (who I don't really want anything to do with). Only thing I'd really want back from the Oilers would be there #1 and Penner.

It did get me thinking about a way to fix our cap problems. so this is not a rumour, but more of an idea to get us out from out cap mess. If we could move Price and land some good prospects at the same time, would it be worth the risk of trading Price's potential (Frankly, I really don't think he will succeed in Montreal given the nature of the Montreal market - media and fans will be on him).

Not sure what the Oilers cap situation is, or any NTC restrictions on Gomez's contract, but if we could get them to take Gomez and offer Price as the prized carrot, given the Oilers lousy luck (much worse then ours), in being able to retain their own or sign UFA's from other teams - especially offensive ones, would the following deal make sense or even be plausible:

Montreal gives up: Gomez, Price, Dags, Weber, 1st & 2nd round pick

Edmonton gives up: Gagner, Penner, Eberley, Grebeshkov, 1st round pick

I can't see the oilers being willing to part with their best young player in Gagner, best prospect in Eberley or a potential top 3 pick in this year's draft. But Penner is only signed for one more year and I really doubt if he will resign with the Oilers anyways. It will of course depend on how badly or highly they value Price, but I think having a signed Gomez for 4 years for a team that has a lot of trouble signing free agents, even when they badly outbid other teams (i.e. Hossa and Nylander a couple of years ago), and the free agents they did sign like Souray and Khabibulin, they really overpaid for and have had an injury prone history.

From our prespective, we get a top second line center prospect in Gagner, some much needed size to go along with Pouliot and Ak46 a world junior wild card in Eberly and of course a chance to finally land a top 3 pick. Cap wise, the deal may also work for both teams - I know Penner makes $4M+, not sure about Grebeshov and Gagner.

I really don't want anything to do with the glass man Brule and am not sold on Cogliano either, but if we could snag Gagner (think instant chemistry with SK74 as an option), Penner (POWER forward) and a top 3 pick, could make Edmonton an interesting trade partner.

And of course the clincher for us would be having the cap room to resign Pleks - who Bob needs to sign NOW!!!! We would also have a surplus depth at the forward position that would allow us to upgrade or D. If we can also move Hamrlik, cap wise I think we would be in terrific position going forward.

Anyway, let the flaming begin ;)

Edited by hab29RETIRED

not that i put much credence in him, but Ekland's got an interesting rumour about the OIlers wanting Price. return would be Brule (who I don't really want anything to do with). Only thing I'd really want back from the Oilers would be there #1 and Penner.

Something revolving around Price/Gagner would be interesting but the proposal you gave is just too once-sided - Edmonton would never do that.

Imagine

1) Price for Gagner

2) Plekanec for typical package of youth (e.g. Teubert + 1st/2nd - this is what LA had on the table for Whitney)

It's an interesting scenario but I would prefer to sign Pleks than make these deals.

@guys saying Hemsky, Kovalchuk et al are the last things we need.... beggars can't be choosers. We should be thankful every time we can get a player half that good.

Well... looking at nhlnumbers.com, they have 41M$ involved with VERY FEW impact players to sign. I'd say they can manage to dump Pandolfo and Rob Nieds to make room as well. Doesn't look so desperate as they will only need a little bit of creativity from Lamoriello.

They'll probably want to re-sign Martin, who will get at least the $4.5m he's earning as a salary this year. Plus, Parise is a year away from getting a new contract. It would take something more than dumping role players who make decent money... it would take a longer term vision to fit him in.

All Devils fans right now view him as a rental, no one seems under the impression he'll be a Devil come next training camp. You never know, I guess, but there's a lot of work that would need to get done for it to happen.

i was thinking today we must trade Sk soon...for the reason that he can be a second line player on alot of teams and it does look like he ever get a real shot in montreal anymore unless we are hurt...i dont think he really what to be in montreal anymore..so i could see him go to the khl for more money and more playing time...so i think bob should move him to Edm..iam not sure what they give up for him but anything is better then nothing..

i really thing bob got to start looking at the big pic and find out what guys what to be here and the guys that dont and move them..Sk is easy to replace as he is mostly a 4th or 3rd line player for us(which i dont think is a good fit for him)..so he is easy to replace with one of the young guys in the ahl so why hang on to him..

I think we well make a trade before the break..i hope it is to make the team better in the next couple years..i hope we dont look for a quick fix..

I think bob well try to have a deal in place with plex over the break..if we cant sign him WE MUST TRADE HIM BEFORE THE DEAL LINE...

He should get a high pick and a player i would think..

I think we well make a trade before the break..i hope it is to make the team better in the next couple years..i hope we dont look for a quick fix..

I think bob well try to have a deal in place with plex over the break..if we cant sign him WE MUST TRADE HIM BEFORE THE DEAL LINE...

He should get a high pick and a player i would think..

I think a lot of the remaining quick fix/rental deals will be made after the deadline as capped out teams (such as the Habs) can save that much more on the player's cap hit they'd be acquiring.

i was thinking today we must trade Sk soon...for the reason that he can be a second line player on alot of teams and it does look like he ever get a real shot in montreal anymore unless we are hurt...i dont think he really what to be in montreal anymore..so i could see him go to the khl for more money and more playing time...so i think bob should move him to Edm..iam not sure what they give up for him but anything is better then nothing..

i really thing bob got to start looking at the big pic and find out what guys what to be here and the guys that dont and move them..Sk is easy to replace as he is mostly a 4th or 3rd line player for us(which i dont think is a good fit for him)..so he is easy to replace with one of the young guys in the ahl so why hang on to him..

I hopes this helps your querie:

Cuz he adds depth to this team at this time in this moment.

We have a bunch on guys playing for the Red Cross or doing some volounteer work or something, I'm not too sure all that stuff since Laraque was saying something about Haiti and going there and playing hockey with H.S. kids... has me a little mixed up in the perticulars of how they ended up there, on rental moves, in the season but hey I have been told I have A.D something something. ^_^

(edit) ohh yes and what would we get for his bro when he comes back from the Red Cross Exibit games? How do we trade buddy when he will have forgotten how to play again... again all the peeps that say we do bad trades blah blah blah will come out and start talking about Ribs and how we should have gotten a burger back insteed of a veggen (is that how it's spelt? ;P ) Ceaser salade.

Edited by ehjay

I really dont care if we trade both Andrei Kostitsyn or Sergei Kostitsyn as long as we can bring back a couple good player or picks ...i cant see Sergei Kostitsyn whating to be a fouth liner so you can say good bye to him and if Andrei is such a pro drama queen that he cant play because his brother is not on the team its time for him to pack his bags..i think both these kids got a lot of up side but right now they dont have the heart..i used to love these kids when they first got here..they played hard, fight and just give it their all but i feel they had lost alot of that somewhere..with the partying, drug dealer stuff plus i keep hearing that they show up at camp ever year out of shape...so if we can move them atit helps the team iam all for it.. trade i like to make is Andrei Kostitsyn and Metropolit for Jordan Staal

price or halak...i like price more but if i was the habs i would hold on to both unless a super deal come along..i might trade halak at the draft and sign a cheap vet if i was the gm..but if halak the man i can live with that to..both get these guys sign and go from there..

plex i like the guy but if his not sign by the deal line try and trade him..ex.. plex for Sharp

I really think we should move Roman Hamrlik to free up cap space and make room for one of the young guys coming up..

I thjink the funnier part of that is saying the habs are interested in Souray. Like they don't have enough high priced, big, slow, injured defenseman who are 1 dementional.

i cant see us bring souray back, unless its a bigger package deal and we got to take him to make it work but i didint think the habs or bos was on his list...

Eklund

*The Canadiens could make a trade by Friday I am told. I would not be shocked if Nathan Horton or Peter Mueller is a habs.

Since it's coming from Eklund, it's not gonna happen

Mueller for Gomez. :clap:

Maybe we can get Lang back too. :clap: :clap:

Mueller/pick for Plekanec seems a lot more feasible on both ends, provided the Habs soon realize that they're likely not going to have the room for him and decide to be sellers as well. Plekanec would help propel the 'Yotes into the playoffs which would be huge for that franchise while giving the Habs a cheaper asset in return. The Habs lose the deal talent wise, but if you want to get something for a pending UFA, you're not going to get a massive return for him.

Top-25 players available at the deadline, Habs rumoured to have interest in a few of these players - http://www.thefourthperiod.com/trade_deadline/top25.html

Mueller/pick for Plekanec seems a lot more feasible on both ends, provided the Habs soon realize that they're likely not going to have the room for him and decide to be sellers as well. Plekanec would help propel the 'Yotes into the playoffs which would be huge for that franchise while giving the Habs a cheaper asset in return. The Habs lose the deal talent wise, but if you want to get something for a pending UFA, you're not going to get a massive return for him.

Top-25 players available at the deadline, Habs rumoured to have interest in a few of these players - http://www.thefourthperiod.com/trade_deadline/top25.html

Jack Johnson is available in a package for a top tier forward? Sounds like a really solid return for Plekanec.

From that list, Ott, Svatos, Mueller and Johnson seem quite interesting to me. These are young roster players with upside. The fact that we might possibly be able to get our hands on one of Mueller and Johnson is exciting.

A Pleks/Barker trade could also make some sense, but I'd prefer Mueller or Johnson.

I really don't want to lose Pleks. Hopefully Gauthier will try and move Gomez and Hamrlik to clear up cap space, as well as trade the excess baggage like Dags and Mara who eat up cap space, but really don't have a role on this team.

Ideally, I'd like to see us move the following to dump salary, clear up cap space or roster positions, as well as dump impending free agents that we can probably do without. I'm hoping the habs will move the following by the deadline:

-Hamrlik (return now from a playoff bound team will probably be higher then trying to dump his salary in the summer)

-Dags (not playing, but taking up a roster spot (already have Laraque eating up another spot) - can't be sent down at risk of being lost on waivers)

-Metro - free agent - value probably as high as it will be - had a great first half, now back to what you expect

The following guys I'd like to move by draft (or by the deadline):

-Gomez (would be great for 4-4.5M, but will cripple us with his 7.3M hit for the next 4 years)

-Spacek (cheaper, younger options available)

If we can resign Pleks, get another young center and a SOLID d-man who is good defensively and can support an uptempo transition game, I'll feel much better about next year.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the gusy mentioned in a habs uniform.

-Jack Johnson - great young d-man who may be a top two down the line, really like him, but he is a RFA who was asking for $5M from the kings this past summer. For a salary cap situation, unless we dumped Gomez AND Hamrlik, it would make no sense going after a guy who already said he wants $5M longterm.

-Horton - like him, but isn't he injured??? He is also making $4M, so I really don't see the point of going after him, if it means dumping Pleks (unless we get him by dumping Gomez).

-Mueller is intriguing, but again, is he going to the guy on 5-5, PK, PP like Pleks???? Would be a great pickup if Gomez was going the other way.

-Whitney, Kariya or Souray make absolutely no sense at all!

-Vinny - 10 years at $7.7M - no thanks.

Mueller and his 4 goals 12 assist season ?!?! Talking about a guy who looks more and more like a bust here. We gambled for Pouliot, not sure I'm ready to gamble again for Mueller.

But the guy obviously has talent. I just prefer giving more to get more. I'd adore a guy like Horton though. But he's injured and Dr. Mulder is close to burnout.