Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

who are we trading to edm?????????/

Sorry, I thought you were paying attention to my previous posts. Edmonton wants Plex and a goalie.

Look, I love Plekanec but I'm a realist and there's no way the Habs can afford him for $4.5-5M+ per season. If BG decides to keep Price, then he gets a raise to $3M+ in the summer. Same with Halak. If we're going to lose Plex and a goalie, I'd have no problem acquiring Cogliano, Brule, or O'Sullivan. Ethan Moreau's name has been mentioned since he's become expendable with Edmonton's rebuild. He's the captain of the Oilers and at $2M, he's a pretty good player. I would love him and Moen as our "grinders". He's an upgrade over Lapierre too.

I truly believe BG has two paths:

1. Do nothing and hope the current team can play better than they are. Keep both goalies and sort out the RFA mess this summer.

2. Make a trade, shake things up and create a better picture for the team going into this summer's draft.

Squeeking into the playoffs at #8 does nothing for me. I'm leaning more towards option 2.

More craziness from EK:

*Is Price on the way out? "Quite possibly," a source added... Amazing as it sounds, Jaro Halak has won the spot in many minds. Do you remember when I put out a rumor a few months back saying the Habs had a deal Habs fans would love, but Price would have to be sent away? (ah, the memories...great times...the hate...so much wonderful hate) Well the deal is...still available, however, the names are different. In the original deal Montreal would have received a serious #1 goalie in return. While I can't say the name of the team, Montreal now is getting their #2. but a much better top 6 forward...(and a serious prospect who will be adored in that city)

So, is this secret team Edmonton? I don't see how. Edmonton has no goalies whatsoever so I doubt they could provide Montreal with a true backup. I'm guessing it's St. Louis.

To Montreal:

- David Backes, C

- Ty Conklin, G

- prospect

To St. Louis:

- Carey Price, G

- draft pick

Edited by JGC21

I really don't want Hemsky or Moreau. The only safe oiler to pick up is Gagner and I doubt if he is available.

We really need to sign Pleks - the guy does it all for us, PP, PK, 5-5 he has been our best player. We NEED to sign him, not trade him to the WORST team in the leauge unless we are getting Edmonton's #1 in return.

I live in northern alberta and cheer for the oilers. I can tell you that Hemsky is amazing. His puckhandling skills are par with Kovalev. His biggest issue is that he doesn't shoot. As far as Moreau, he is a great role player. He plays hard every game. But a 2nd liner, he is not. More like 4th line. Cogliano is still developing, but I'm not tooo impressed with him. Just another little soft guy getting pushed off the puck.

Yea, Hemsky is a real good player but exactly wheat the habs don't need. They need are set IMO on the top 2 sets of wingers. Cammi, Gionta, Ak46, Pouliot (who is a natural center).

Gagne or Cogliano both centers make sense, especially salary wise.

Moreau is a qualitey checker,

Yea, Hemsky is a real good player but exactly wheat the habs don't need. They need are set IMO on the top 2 sets of wingers. Cammi, Gionta, Ak46, Pouliot (who is a natural center).

Moreau would be great as a checker, but we don't want Gagner or Cogliano. I'm telling you we would get owned. Two guys with size out of the top 6.

I'm rooting for the Kings on this one. I like a lot of their players I would love to see them make some noise in the playoffs.

I am rooting for the Habs on this one... I'd love to see Kovalchuk in a Montreal uniform. YES, I know if probably won't happen :rolleyes:

Hemsky is an upgrade on Kostitsyn. I tend to take the 'acquire the talent first, work on sorting out positions later' principle. Worse comes to worst, you trade a winger for help down the middle. But I'm not the GM who has to sort out the headaches, so it's easy for me to say.

a) camm will play wing on the habs... forget anyone penciling him in at C

b) if we did trade with EDM im almost positive 2 of brule / gagner and cogliano would be on the way... iwould loveeee eberle but that's wishful thinking if not there #1 pick although they might want to lottery protect it. ethan moreau??? no thanks... maybe brendan morrow from dallas!!

c) hemsky would be a sideways move!!.

d) SK is not going anywhere and that includes the KHL. he will flourish over the next 20 games given huge responsibilities and a sense of worth playing on the top line with no leash!!

e)PRICE NEEDS HALAK... hopefully halak stays and mtl continues to give him the starts convincing him to sign on 1 more year giving price 2 more years developing as his back up.. if he unsurps him then eevryone's happy and we make the right decision...

f)subban is a habs next year.... he wont be fighting anyone for a spot....

g) carle's shoulder is a big question mark going into next season and forget maxwell, weber

on a final note: as everyone questions our depth i continue with a little hope.... we have had considerable injuries all season and yet as of today we are in 7TH mind you with more games played. with that said maybe we do have some depth upfront.......

What makes you say this?

Price has played his best when he was the undisputed number 1. He was amazing i his rookie year after he got rid of Huet, then awesome in the first round. He faltered against Philly, but whatever, hes a rookie. The next year he started off strong then got injured and Halak had to step in. When Price returned he wasn't quite where he had left off a he suddenly found himself in a goalie controversy.

Halak may thrive off the competition and need to be pushed by Price, but I don't think Carey is the same way. He seems to do better when he is alone at the top, and i think if we end up trading Halak then Price will pick his game back up.

Edited by JacksonJ

i watched sportsnet connected and they mentioned that with camm's out look to montreal to dangle a pacioretty to TO for pony........ what a joke!

they also mentioned that TO may settle for Dag, that would be something I'm interested in.

A top 6 forward is the last thing we need right now. We have out top 6 guys, even if Kostitsyn and Cammy are injured. I wouldn't wanna see Gainey sacrifice prospects or picks for what is ultimately a temporary problem, even if that problem ends our season.

What makes you say this?

Price has played his best when he was the undisputed number 1. He was amazing i his rookie year after he got rid of Huet, then awesome in the first round. He faltered against Philly, but whatever, hes a rookie. The next year he started off strong then got injured and Halak had to step in. When Price returned he wasn't quite where he had left off a he suddenly found himself in a goalie controversy.

Halak may thrive off the competition and need to be pushed by Price, but I don't think Carey is the same way. He seems to do better when he is alone at the top, and i think if we end up trading Halak then Price will pick his game back up.

meaning what's best for montreal is that we keep both goalies til at least next years deadline!

I could see either (or neither) goalie being traded but I certainly hope that Gainey doesn't choose to trade Price. With Halak playing so well, trading Halak means retool, get a high draft pick and try again next year. Trading Price (our most valuable young commodity) means short-term thinking, sacrificing the future for this year's playoffs (Gainey's job). I'd prefer that they finish with the 5th oa pick than finish 8th in the East. I don't see much hope for this team without another legitimate prospect - I see it as virtually the only way to have a contending team while having a contract like Gomez on your team.

Apart from the above reason, I just think Price will be the better goalie - but that's a whole different issue.

I would certainly try to trade Halak as I think his value right now is as high as it will ever be (new goalies often come into the league and ride a momentum streak for a year or two before they're "figured out" and regress a little bit - see: Huet, Price, Theodore, Ward, Varlamov, .... it's an extremely common thing). That being said, there's no way I'd trade Halak if we could only get a 2nd rounder. It just isn't worth it. I'd keep both goalies for the moment.

Sounds like New Jersey is putting forward an interesting offer for Kovalchuk... the Thrashers been scouting Devils games big time. No one seems to know who Lamoriello is offering, which isn't surprising in the least. The Devils are kind of in a win now mode, since Marty ain't getting any younger.

I could see either (or neither) goalie being traded but I certainly hope that Gainey doesn't choose to trade Price. With Halak playing so well, trading Halak means retool, get a high draft pick and try again next year. Trading Price (our most valuable young commodity) means short-term thinking, sacrificing the future for this year's playoffs (Gainey's job). I'd prefer that they finish with the 5th oa pick than finish 8th in the East. I don't see much hope for this team without another legitimate prospect - I see it as virtually the only way to have a contending team while having a contract like Gomez on your team.

Apart from the above reason, I just think Price will be the better goalie - but that's a whole different issue.

I would certainly try to trade Halak as I think his value right now is as high as it will ever be (new goalies often come into the league and ride a momentum streak for a year or two before they're "figured out" and regress a little bit - see: Huet, Price, Theodore, Ward, Varlamov, .... it's an extremely common thing). That being said, there's no way I'd trade Halak if we could only get a 2nd rounder. It just isn't worth it. I'd keep both goalies for the moment.

I just can't agree with that type of mentality.

On another note, I would have taken Kovalchuk in a heartbeat! It was obviously never going to happen with our cap situation though. I'll just continue to naively hope that there will be another chance this summer :).

I just can't agree with that type of mentality.

On another note, I would have taken Kovalchuk in a heartbeat! It was obviously never going to happen with our cap situation though. I'll just continue to naively hope that there will be another chance this summer :).

Kovalchuk might sign with NJ because he wants to be on a winner. That would be an excellent decision on his part. On the other hand, acquiring him is contrary to the modus operandi that made Jersey a contender. That team has never been about the Big Name and the individual superstar, it's been defined by commitment to a system. And that kind of system is incompatible with Kovalchuk's qualities as a freewheeling star. In many ways, this is a peculiar move all around.

Having said that, I'm with you 100%. I take Kovalchuk in one second flat and the cap can take care of itself. He is a once-in-a-generation talent to have on your team.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Kovalchuk might sign with NJ because he wants to be on a winner. That would be an excellent decision on his part. On the other hand, acquiring him is contrary to the modus operandi that made Jersey a contender. That team has never been about the Big Name and the individual superstar, it's been defined by commitment to a system. And that kind of system is incompatible with Kovalchuk's qualities as a freewheeling star. In many ways, this is a peculiar move all around.

Having said that, I'm with you 100%. I take Kovalchuk in one second flat and the cap can take care of itself. He is a once-in-a-generation talent to have on your team.

I don't know where this thing about Kovy's "style" has come about. Sure, he's not the world's greatest defensive player, but I've never heard him whine about a coach's style before, so maybe it's all just hogwash. Besides, the Devils had Mogilny in the past, so I don't think it's a huge stretch for them to work Kovy in.

I mean, look at their top 6 now when everyone's healthy: Elias - Zubrus - Kovalchuk; Parise - Zajac - Langenbrunner. How do you stop this team? Their checking line has a $5m player in Brian Rolston on it, too.

I don't know where this thing about Kovy's "style" has come about. Sure, he's not the world's greatest defensive player, but I've never heard him whine about a coach's style before, so maybe it's all just hogwash. Besides, the Devils had Mogilny in the past, so I don't think it's a huge stretch for them to work Kovy in.

I mean, look at their top 6 now when everyone's healthy: Elias - Zubrus - Kovalchuk; Parise - Zajac - Langenbrunner. How do you stop this team? Their checking line has a $5m player in Brian Rolston on it, too.

On the first point - I mentioned in another thread that fans will for some reason jump on any player not named Ovechkin or Crosby and discover some reason or other why having that player is a terrible idea. Run down the list of guys that a significant per centage of Habs fans 'haven't wanted' over the years: Lecavalier, Healtey, Kovalchuk, Hossa, Elias, Richards, Marleau, the Sedins, blah blah blah. It's kind of funny.

On the second - no question, Jersey's impressive. But Zubrus and Langenbrunner, while good players, aren't exactly record-shattering phenoms. And if Bob had signed Rolston to that contract he'd be crucified non-stop on these boards. They also have a no-name defence and are minus a top-4 guy after the trade. Let's not go nuts.