Injury news

Commandant

Yes, I can see why having a bottom six forward who plays hard, is disciplined, moves the puck up the ice and does a very good PK for next to the league minimum salary is horrible. Meanwhile, players that do nothing (or contirbute negatively when they do) like Blunden, Nokelainen, and Staubitz are getting regular shifts.

Yes, I can see why having a bottom six forward who plays hard, is disciplined, moves the puck up the ice and does a very good PK for next to the league minimum salary is horrible. Meanwhile, players that do nothing (or contirbute negatively when they do) like Blunden, Nokelainen, and Staubitz are getting regular shifts.

Well Blunden is youngish so he gets his shots, Nokia has been benched most the season (I'd like Darche playing over him) and Staubitz is there to fight and has averaged something like 5 minutes a night, there have been multiple nights where he has been in the penalty box more then on the ice itself (and not for minors haha).

Why do Staubitz, Blunden and Nokeleinen contribute? EVERY player has said since the habs got tougher (Staubitz, Bunden and White) they have played better. The teams record is better since acquiring Staubitz.

You may not care for what those players bring, but the players on the team do.

The team is much more entertaining as well. I was really getting tired of watching players skating away, getting pushed around, Price being run all the time.

My 4th line next year would be a combo of White, Staubitz, Moen and a 4th line checking guy, I would go after Prust.

It's not like Pleks, Bourque, Eller or any other forward not on the DD line is contributing either.

Why do Staubitz, Blunden and Nokeleinen contribute? EVERY player has said since the habs got tougher (Staubitz, Bunden and White) they have played better. The teams record is better since acquiring Staubitz.

You may not care for what those players bring, but the players on the team do.

The team is much more entertaining as well. I was really getting tired of watching players skating away, getting pushed around, Price being run all the time.

My 4th line next year would be a combo of White, Staubitz, Moen and a 4th line checking guy, I would go after Prust.

It's not like Pleks, Bourque, Eller or any other forward not on the DD line is contributing either.

Lets not overrate the surge in record and attribute it all to Staubitz and White being in the lineup. Lets not forget the difference Markov makes, which is a lot bigger than Staubitz IMO. Lets also not forget the fact that the team playing better when the pressure is off and the playoffs are out of reach is something that happens to many teams. And even then this record is only a slight improvement and could be attributed to small sample size/opponents or many other things. Lets not forget that the Habs best play this season came in late October-November-Early december when they overcame the disasterous start and were actually 1 game above 500 when Martin was fired. This was all done without a Staubitz in the lineup.

Lastly they've done well the last two years without a Staubitz in the lineup, as have other teams, Chicago 2010 (Eager is best seen as equivalent to a Moen and not a true heavyweight)... Carolina's Cup team... not to mention Detroit for years and years and years haven't had a goon. I don't think you can draw the conclusion that Staubitz and White have made this difference. White has basically just replaced Moen anyways.

Darche is fantastic.

The only reason anyone has an issue with Darche is due to the coaches using him as a big body injury replacement in the top six. That's not Darche's fault and he has contributed in that role at times.

Heart and soul guys like him and Metropolit are necessary for successful teams. You want a veteran who works hard every night that the kids can look at and go, "If I want to still be playing in the league at his age, I need to be working just as hard as him."

White is a good hockey player. I have no problem with him. I have no problem with toughness as long as you can be effective with it.

You guys are attributing what surge exactly to the presence of Staubitz? The team still gets outplayed on a nightly basis at even strength it just has a more effective PP than it did before. You know, with Markov back. And Subban starting to score. There's been no discernible up tick in anyone else's play since Staubitz arrived or Blunden returned. Fights are fun to watch but they don't do a heck of a lot in terms of wins.

Machine of Loving Grace has it pretty spot on, IMO. Darche is a NHL player. He's a good barometer to use for young players... if you can do the things Darche does, you can stick in the NHL. White does those things. Leblanc does. Palushaj hasn't.

And with all the big bodies the Habs have now up front in Pacioretty, Cole, Bourque, etc... Darche hasn't seen much PP time this year and probably won't again. But when he and Plekanec were the top PK unit after Moen went down the PK was starting to get SH chances and not allowing ANYTHING against. It was quite something to see.

White is a good hockey player. I have no problem with him. I have no problem with toughness as long as you can be effective with it.

Spot on.

Team toughness will always prevail over individual toughness. Tough guys can't be on the ice 20 minutes a period, but a team full of guys willing to do whatever it takes to win is what you need. I like fearless players. White is fearless which is why he's great for our fourth line.

You don't need a fighter but you do need guys who will stand up for their teammates. I think we have a few of those.

Correct, Staubitz allows others to do more things on the ice. Moen was the only player to do that most of the year. Once White and Staubitz started playing the team became tougher and harder to play against. Now you see other players stepping up becomming more physical, not taking any crap from other teams. It's nice to see.

Just about every other good teams have players like that, Detroit being the exception.

Moen Prust and White would be a grweat 4th line, White and Moen are injured alot, i would keep Staubitz as #13. he isn't worthless to this team. Other tough teams maybe, but not these bunch of cream puffs.

I agree that Darche is a heart and soul guy that is important but there are better options.

And I doubt he could crack the line up of many other NHL teams.

I like what he brings when in the right role but I would much rather a kid playing over him this year and next.

I agree that Darche is a heart and soul guy that is important but there are better options.

And I doubt he could crack the line up of many other NHL teams.

I like what he brings when in the right role but I would much rather a kid playing over him this year and next.

There's a vet like Darche on many teams in the league. A bottom six/bottom two D/veteran backup who other players look up to.

The only issue I have with Darche is speed and that I'm unsure how he'll rebound from his current injury. If it's his time to go like it was with Metro that's one thing. Otherwise I'd want to replace him with a different vet.

I'm hoping for a fourth line with Prust/veteran C/White next season.

Darche is terrible, even at league minimum. If you are of the opinion that he warrants a regular spot on a successful NHL team, then your judge of talent is skewed. If you are satisfied with him dumping it in as soon as he hits the red line, good for you. He has zero offensive awareness and hands of stone. Sure he skates his french ass off, but so would thousands of other scrubs who would if given the chance. He is a classic kiss-ass and I have never in my entire life disliked any Hab as much as him.

Darche is terrible, even at league minimum. If you are of the opinion that he warrants a regular spot on a successful NHL team, then your judge of talent is skewed. If you are satisfied with him dumping it in as soon as he hits the red line, good for you. He has zero offensive awareness and hands of stone. Sure he skates his french ass off, but so would thousands of other scrubs who would if given the chance. He is a classic kiss-ass and I have never in my entire life disliked any Hab as much as him.

You sound sillier than me talking about my dislike for Mike Keane.

You sound sillier than me talking about my dislike for Mike Keane.

That's hard to believe since Keane is a multi-cup winner, captain and played into his 40's.

I don't really want to go on an anti-Darche rant for the next hour but I will if I have to.

Darche is fantastic.

No go for it, I haven't heard a crazy person talk in a few hours. emot-allears.gif

There is your crazy person. Nobody in the world has ever used "Darche" and "fantastic" in the same sentence... ever.

There is your crazy person. Nobody in the world has ever used "Darche" and "fantastic" in the same sentence... ever.

Would you ever say Darche is not fantastic!

Touche!

Anyways back on the injury front I wonder if Diaz or Kabrle play again this year ?

I've loved what Staubitz has done here but he is a stop gap. We need a kid who can play a regular shift and contribute in some other way besides just fighting. We need a guy like a Rupp

I've loved what Staubitz has done here but he is a stop gap. We need a kid who can play a regular shift and contribute in some other way besides just fighting. We need a guy like a Rupp

Rupp plays 6:36/game and why couldnt Staubitz do the same on the 4th line? He actually looks much better than i thought he would and is miles ahead of a BGL as a player and is good at his job.

I admit I've been watching erratically, but from what I've seen Staubitz has made a good case for a regular 4th line role. DON seems right to me on this.

it does seem weird that we have a guy like Staubitz on the Canadiens, at least to me, but I think he serves a role on the team that we have been missing. He has played well enough to get signed again I think. A one year deal just as another trial.. we have nothing to lose from it!

it does seem weird that we have a guy like Staubitz on the Canadiens, at least to me, but I think he serves a role on the team that we have been missing. He has played well enough to get signed again I think. A one year deal just as another trial.. we have nothing to lose from it!

If he will take league minimum otherwise I'd prefer a kid.