Injury news

Commandant

Despite the team's denials, Moen's injury was a concussion stemming from a hit from Komisarek a while ago. I think we all suspected that but there's the confirmation, straight from the horse's mouth.

Wait, is Moen the horse?

I've never really understood why that expression is so commonly used. :) In this case, yes, Moen is the horse, that tidbit came from his scrum at media day.

Speaking of injuries, it's a groin issue for Diaz and he won't be heading to the Worlds either.

Guess we know why Moen didn't get traded.

Now will we re-sign him?

Assuming his brain is OK, yes, we should re-sign him - provided the price is reasonable. People get mad at Moen on the top lines or PP, but that doesn't change the fact that he's a real-deal NHL grinder, unlike, say, Blunden. And those guys aren't as easy to find as everybody seems to think (witness Gauthier's endless, tiresome struggles to fill the 4th line year after year). We never should have let Kostopolis go, for that matter.

I'd like to see a thread strictly on the UFA signings the Habs should or should not make this summer. That could prove interesting.

I agree we should re-sign him.

My question was more Will We actually do it?

Depends on who the new GM is and where he sees this team next year and the future.

Depends on who the new GM is and where he sees this team next year and the future.

I think regardless of the GM Moen has to be retained. For a guy who can net you 10 goals a year but play pivotal pk time as well as stick up for teammates, he is a must.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming his brain is OK, yes, we should re-sign him - provided the price is reasonable. People get mad at Moen on the top lines or PP, but that doesn't change the fact that he's a real-deal NHL grinder, unlike, say, Blunden. And those guys aren't as easy to find as everybody seems to think (witness Gauthier's endless, tiresome struggles to fill the 4th line year after year). We never should have let Kostopolis go, for that matter.

I'd like to see a thread strictly on the UFA signings the Habs should or should not make this summer. That could prove interesting.

Kostopplis was all heart alright. We've had some wonderful guys play key roles for us.

Kostopplis was all heart alright. We've had some wonderful guys play key roles for us.

It took me a while to realize this, but really think that the attitude that 'role players are interchangeable' is a mistake, and one that has significantly hurt us. Tom the Bomb was above average in terms of heart and desire, and could play. It's worth paying an extra half mil to keep a guy like that around. The same goes for Dominic Moore. I realize that in a cap system there's a huge temptation to think of these guys as interchangeable parts. But they're not, and they can make a massive difference, especially in the playoffs.

More and more it seems that teams win and lose in the playoffs based on their third and fourth lines. The Canucks have been eliminated in their last two series and in both cases a huge key was the superior performance their opponents got from their bottom six. But never mind that; when you look at a team like ours, which even when playing to its potential does not have a particularly daunting top-6, it just makes sense to try to have the best possible bottom-6 you can assemble. In short, we need to rethink our organizational approach to 'depth' players.

• Upvote 1

It took me a while to realize this, but really think that the attitude that 'role players are interchangeable' is a mistake, and one that has significantly hurt us. Tom the Bomb was above average in terms of heart and desire, and could play. It's worth paying an extra half mil to keep a guy like that around. The same goes for Dominic Moore. I realize that in a cap system there's a huge temptation to think of these guys as interchangeable parts. But they're not, and they can make a massive difference, especially in the playoffs.

More and more it seems that teams win and lose in the playoffs based on their third and fourth lines. The Canucks have been eliminated in their last two series and in both cases a huge key was the superior performance their opponents got from their bottom six. But never mind that; when you look at a team like ours, which even when playing to its potential does not have a particularly daunting top-6, it just makes sense to try to have the best possible bottom-6 you can assemble. In short, we need to rethink our organizational approach to 'depth' players.

I think your assertion about botom 6 has some merit for sure.

I admired Kostopoulas's heart and willingness to lose every fight on behalf of his teammates, but he has no real skill, like Darche, who i also admire for work ethic and being a team player.

But the Canucks lost the last 2 series because their highpaid stars didnt score (+key injuries), not because of LaPierre or Malhotra's play.

But bottom six guys can be the deciding factor for sure, when 2 teams are fairly equal, but if the stars are the game stars you are going no where,

Habs have zero all star forwards and that is and has been their biggest weakness for a few years. Could they use some more scoring from 3rd and 4th lines, for sure but, when highest paid d-man and all your highest paid forwards (cept #72), dont score (due to injury or just sucking) you end up in 28th place.

If had a couple snipers who can score in shootouts, Price wouldnt have a bad record in shootouts and

If #11, 13, 14, 21 could of managed 60+ goals between them, Habs would be playing the Bruins or Rangers right now.

I see a bit more depth coming for bottom 6 in next year or 2 and with Bournival/Holland/Leblanc/Kristo/White/Blunden/Moan/Geoffrion/Shultz/Engqvist they should be able to scape togeather a solid bottom six group.

I am tired of a new 4th line every October and hope one of the bottom six group can just learn how to win some more facoffs and fill the void.

I was thinking of Moore as well. Great player. And what about loyalty? We keep asking it from the players.. have we got any? There's a difference between a marriage and a strictly commercial exchange.. ideally....

Sport is no longer about neighborhoods, friends and community. It's about hired guns for the most part. Perhaps loving your team because they are 'your' team isn't a great improvement, but dancing with the girl ya brung isn't a bad policy in the longterm I suspect.

We identify wiht the players , especially as kids, because we get to see them and know them. They become us, and we them in a primitive communion of human aspiration.

Domenic Moores and Tom the Bomb had heart and won ours.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

More chance that Galchenyuk starts the season on LW on line 2.

If the season starts on time.

chance maybe went from 0% to 1% and a major set-back for Bourque, which is too bad.

Instead of the kid whose going back to Sarnia, i am thinking Leblanc may step up.

I'd reiterate my ongoing grumbles about MB's failure to make any apparent effort to sign short-term stopgaps for the top-6 (such as Whitney, Fatendresse, Jagr or even Kostitsyn) - a failure that becomes even more glaring now that our supposed go-to option on the wing is hurt for two months. But what's the use. MB obviously felt comfortable with five top-6 forwards + Bourque. Perhaps this will make him see reason on this question - a shame that the best options, Whitney and Jagr, are now off the table.

I'd reiterate my ongoing grumbles about MB's failure to make any apparent effort to sign short-term stopgaps for the top-6 (such as Whitney, Fatendresse, Jagr or even Kostitsyn) - a failure that becomes even more glaring now that our supposed go-top option on the wing is hurt for two months. But what's the use. MB obviously felt comfortable with five top-6 forwards + Bourque. Perhaps this will make him see reason on this question - a shame that the best options, Whitney and Jagr, are now off the table.

But you just did reiterate your ongoing grumbles.