Injury news

Commandant

Nokelainen skated before practice today with Graham Rynbend, that's the first update we've had on him for a while.

He should do a stint in Hamilton, no? I can't see them throwing him out there in an NHL game once he's healthy.

He should do a stint in Hamilton, no? I can't see them throwing him out there in an NHL game once he's healthy.

If he agrees to it, he can have a conditioning stint for up to two weeks. If he doesn't want to go down (he hasn't played in the AHL since '07-'08), then they would have to throw him right in (or make him a healthy scratch of course).

If he agrees to it, he can have a conditioning stint for up to two weeks. If he doesn't want to go down (he hasn't played in the AHL since '07-'08), then they would have to throw him right in (or make him a healthy scratch of course).

If he didn't want to do one I'd send him down anyway. Is he really that likely to get picked up on waivers?

If he didn't want to do one I'd send him down anyway. Is he really that likely to get picked up on waivers?

If the Habs think he can still be a useful player, I don't seem them even wanting to take the chance (and I agree, the odds would be low...although I said the same about Palushaj and we all know how that turned out).

The team confirmed he'll play. Prust (upper body) is a game time decision.

Quite funny how Prust was a gametime decision and ended up being second forwards in ice time. I know he is kind of overpaid but I absolutely am in love with him.

Quite funny how Prust was a gametime decision and ended up being second forwards in ice time. I know he is kind of overpaid but I absolutely am in love with him.

I saw a really great article on Prust (can't remember where it was though) that basically proved through Corsi ratings that he's only been playing as well as a 4th line forward who is stellar on the PK.

He may have intangibles, but statistically he's not actually all that great.

Edit: Found it: http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2013/2/21/4012218/is-brandon-prust-a-difference-maker-for-the-montreal-canadiens

I saw a really great article on Prust (can't remember where it was though) that basically proved through Corsi ratings that he's only been playing as well as a 4th line forward who is stellar on the PK.

He may have intangibles, but statistically he's not actually all that great.

Edit: Found it: http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2013/2/21/4012218/is-brandon-prust-a-difference-maker-for-the-montreal-canadiens

Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics.

An interesting quote from today's Gazette http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2013/02/23/gm-bergevin-has-put-character-back-in-ch/

“I knew looking at this team taking over back in May what was lacking, the way in which I wanted to build this team moving forward, and there’s intangibles such as character, hard work, charisma, grit – there’s no stat for that,” Bergevin recently told Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com.

Brandon Prust, signed to a four-year, $10-million free-agent contract last summer by Bergevin, has provided the Canadiens with a huge dose of intangibles.

“As an ex-player, I know how much the dressing room means and I know what he means,” Bergevin told LeBrun about Prust. “He’s going to block shots no matter what the score is. He cares. That’s what I want this team to be about moving forward. I want guys that care about one another, and he fits the mould.”

Seems to me that both the stat heads and MB are right about this one.

Prust is an excellent 4th line forward in terms of production and possession, but that is about it. He is also a good PKer. So, 2.5M per is probably a bit high from that perspective.

However, he never quits, and obviously provides jump and leadership during the game, and likely in the room (if MB is to be trusted, which I suspect he is), and he offers much needed toughness on the ice. From these perspectives he is worth every penny of his 2.5M.

This is a team game, and the art of team building is not totally quantifiable. It's also a psychological game where the actions of a few can impact the actions of the others and the tempo and flow of a game in "intangible" ways.

I think we need to give credit to MB for understanding these dynamics better than us, and the stat heads, and thank him for bidding high for Brandon Prust.

Only time will tell of course - 4 years is a long time...

Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics.

An interesting quote from today's Gazette http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/2013/02/23/gm-bergevin-has-put-character-back-in-ch/

“I knew looking at this team taking over back in May what was lacking, the way in which I wanted to build this team moving forward, and there’s intangibles such as character, hard work, charisma, grit – there’s no stat for that,” Bergevin recently told Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com.

Brandon Prust, signed to a four-year, $10-million free-agent contract last summer by Bergevin, has provided the Canadiens with a huge dose of intangibles.

“As an ex-player, I know how much the dressing room means and I know what he means,” Bergevin told LeBrun about Prust. “He’s going to block shots no matter what the score is. He cares. That’s what I want this team to be about moving forward. I want guys that care about one another, and he fits the mould.”

I was just looking over the NHL injury list. We are for once one of the luckiest teams in the NHL. We have no injuries to speak of. Noki but who cares, and Bourque who will probably be ready for next game. Simply amazing after the last few years, where we couldn't keep anyone in the lineup. Very Very fortunate, touch wood and anything else that helps. Praise be to the big pumpkin. :habslogo:

I was just looking over the NHL injury list. We are for once one of the luckiest teams in the NHL. We have no injuries to speak of. Noki but who cares, and Bourque who will probably be ready for next game. Simply amazing after the last few years, where we couldn't keep anyone in the lineup. Very Very fortunate, touch wood and anything else that helps. Praise be to the big pumpkin. :habslogo:

Jinx

Seems to me that both the stat heads and MB are right about this one.

Prust is an excellent 4th line forward in terms of production and possession, but that is about it. He is also a good PKer. So, 2.5M per is probably a bit high from that perspective.

However, he never quits, and obviously provides jump and leadership during the game, and likely in the room (if MB is to be trusted, which I suspect he is), and he offers much needed toughness on the ice. From these perspectives he is worth every penny of his 2.5M.

This is a team game, and the art of team building is not totally quantifiable. It's also a psychological game where the actions of a few can impact the actions of the others and the tempo and flow of a game in "intangible" ways.

I think we need to give credit to MB for understanding these dynamics better than us, and the stat heads, and thank him for bidding high for Brandon Prust.

Only time will tell of course - 4 years is a long time...

Yeah, on the back end that deal will probably look dodgy. But as I said in another thread, I've never understood why people allow the likelihood of a bad Year Four to overwhelm the positives of the first three years of a deal.

Frankly, looking at Prust's impact thus far, I think it probably exceeds the impact of many a Big Name Signing, given our specific team needs and profile.

Rene Bourque's flu-like symptoms have now turned into a concussion. Quite the transformation... :)

Just read the same thing on rds.ca. Anyone remember when Bourque was hit to the head? I certainly don't. Too bad, he was playing so well. Let's hope it's a minor concussion.