Please, no desperation moves just to try to squeak into the playoffs!

REV-G

You can already hear the rumblings. GM Howson fires Scott Arniel and immediately declares that with the trade deadline in sight he's now open for business. In other words he's ready to begin to deal. Some teams recently have not waited till the traditional week or day or two before the trade deadline to pull the trigger on a deal but got a headstart on everyone and traded well before the deadline arrived.

In order for us to make the playoffs I believe we have to win something like twice as many games as we lose between now and the end of the regular season. Over a 60% winning percentage is what we'll need. Unlikely, but which of us wouldn't love to see us get into a race and have it go down to the wire. That would be exciting stuff. But, not at any cost.

Based on the moves Pierre Gauthier has made so far; firing Perry Pearn and then our head coach, and then taking on a huge contract to acquire Kaberle. The result? Many people have questioned out loud as to whether these are more job saving steps than anything else. Whether they're true or not I keep hearing rumours that we're talking to certain teams about acquiring another body. I'm just concerned about what we're willing to part with. I think Pierre Gauthier might be getting desperate. I don't blame him at all for wanting to keep his job. Who wouldn't? But not at any cost or with a desperation move.

So I hope Geoff Molson will not approve any giving away of any of our key young players or draft picks just to acquire someone who might possibly give us a better chance of sneaking into the playoffs. I think some changes to our older core who might help another team in the playoffs wouldn't be a bad thing. I'm thinking of players like Hal Gill, Kaberle, Gionta, Campoli, Gomez [however we do it], probably Weber and maybe a fourth line guy or two.

Personally I'd prefer to see us write this season off, be a seller and not a buyer at the trade deadline and get a high draft pick and begin to build again with some of our younger guys like Price, Suban, Max P., David D., Plecs, Georges and so on. Plus with some of our younger talent not yet in the NHL, the coming years to me look hopeful.

But I'm not sure how much trust I have in Gauthier to simply do the right thing for the team for the coming years and not try to give something key away in order to maybe just make it into the playoffs or even end up coming up short andp still ending up giving away a young guy or a draft pick for nothing but a rental.

So please, Geoff Molson, do not allow any desperation moves that involve younger players or draft picks. Hopefully we can get on a roll and make the next few months fun and exciting. But not at the expense of our future!

I hope he doesn't part with any youth to get a "rental player". Although I don't mind if he trades youth to get someone that will be around for awhile, sort of like when Burke acquired Phaneuf mid season. For example, PG could trade a first and Kristo for Jeff Carter and I would be okay with that. And then he could turn around and trade Gill, Moen, Campoli, or someone for picks back. This team doesn't need a huge blowup, just a few tweaks. There is a slim chance that we get in the playoffs, so yeah, hopefully he doesn't sell the farm to make a late season push to save his own ass.

I think we've had a lot of bad 'luck' this year, the foremost element being Markov's absence. I think the team is a better one than last year. I want us to go balls to the wall to get into the playoffs. I hate to see teams start to play accounting instead of hockey.

• Upvote 1

My prediction: The team does nothing today, and takes stock of where it is in the standings about 1-2 weeks before the deadline before deciding to buy or sell.

ABSOLUTELY, the correct thing to do in any year. Steady as she goes. We may however be forced to make a roster move just by the sheer number of healthy bodies.

I won't be surprised to see next year either cancelled, or shortened signficantly due to a strike / lockout.

No short term help is going to make us contenders, so why not just pitch it all and go for a great pick. If we get lucky, we might pull out a Pitts and win the lottery in the lockout year too. Then we come out of the lockout stuff stacked!

I'm just concerned about what we're willing to part with. I think Pierre Gauthier might be getting desperate. I don't blame him at all for wanting to keep his job. Who wouldn't? But not at any cost or with a desperation move.

So I hope Geoff Molson will not approve any giving away of any of our key young players or draft picks just to acquire someone who might possibly give us a better chance of sneaking into the playoffs.

But I'm not sure how much trust I have in Gauthier to simply do the right thing for the team for the coming years and not try to give something key away in order to maybe just make it into the playoffs or even end up coming up short andp still ending up giving away a young guy or a draft pick for nothing but a rental.

So please, Geoff Molson, do not allow any desperation moves that involve younger players or draft picks. Hopefully we can get on a roll and make the next few months fun and exciting. But not at the expense of our future!

I think you've got it backwards.

Gauthier is the cautious one. Molson is the one who might pressure him to make a short term move. (Just like the Martin firing. I doubt that was Gauthier's decision.)

Gauthier is the cautious one. Molson is the one who might pressure him to make a short term move. (Just like the Martin firing. I doubt that was Gauthier's decision.)

Agreed.

I think most of us support the idea of the Habs NOT being big buyers at the deadline, just as most of us don't want to see the Habs go into total sell-off mode, firebombing the team and starting from zero. The only wild card is Kostitsyn; if you can't re-sign him then, provided you get good value back, he should be dealt; other than that, do as Commandant advises. Of course, you listen to offers and explore options regardless - but any team other than heavy-duty contenders should be doing that all the time anyway.

I think the Habs have a better chance of making the playoffs than we think. Ottawa, Toronto, New Jersey, and Florida are all teams which could go on a big slide. The bad luck of the Habs early in the season can easily happen to other teams. I just don't think that 7 points out of a playoff spot is enough to call it quits when there are 41 games left to play. I want to see wins. I want to make the playoffs. Even if the result is a first round exit. I want to stay competitive and have something to cheer for

I just watched that's hockey on TSN. They gave Montreal a C- and a D grade in the first half. I thought this was fair until I saw them give Toronto an A grade. That's funny. Toronto has 8 more points than Montreal. Shouldn't and A grade go to a team that is in the top 3 of the conference? Very funny.

Agreed.

I think most of us support the idea of the Habs NOT being big buyers at the deadline, just as most of us don't want to see the Habs go into total sell-off mode, firebombing the team and starting from zero. The only wild card is Kostitsyn; if you can't re-sign him then, provided you get good value back, he should be dealt; other than that, do as Commandant advises. Of course, you listen to offers and explore options regardless - but any team other than heavy-duty contenders should be doing that all the time anyway.

Molson obviously wants playoff game at over 3 million per home game in ticket sales why would he not.

We have to remember that this is a business, we can hope that Geoff is in it to win it and the $ is gravy but if its all about the money he does not giving a flying puck if they ever win the cup as long as they play 2-5 home playoff games per season.

I just watched that's hockey on TSN. They gave Montreal a C- and a D grade in the first half. I thought this was fair until I saw them give Toronto an A grade. That's funny. Toronto has 8 more points than Montreal. Shouldn't and A grade go to a team that is in the top 3 of the conference? Very funny.

Remember that many picked them to miss the playoffs again

It could be based on what was expected of them in October.

I think the Habs have a better chance of making the playoffs than we think. Ottawa, Toronto, New Jersey, and Florida are all teams which could go on a big slide. The bad luck of the Habs early in the season can easily happen to other teams. I just don't think that 7 points out of a playoff spot is enough to call it quits when there are 41 games left to play. I want to see wins. I want to make the playoffs. Even if the result is a first round exit. I want to stay competitive and have something to cheer for

All I will say is what I wrote in my preview

The last time the Canadiens found themselves in 13th place this late in the season was back in 2000-2001 when they had a record of 12-24-4-2 for 30 points. They finished that season in 11th winning just enough games to remove themselves from the draft lottery. Montreal drafted Mike Komisarek that season but had they picked just one spot higher could have had Mikko Koivu and if they had picked in the top 4 could have ended up with Jason Spezza, Stephen Weiss or Ilya Kovalchuck.

Agreed.

Unless you go on a pretty big run over the next 6 weeks, I figure you sell off Campoli and Gill too, and figute out what you are doing with Moen... is he back or is he moved.

Weber is another guy who could potentially move as it appears they don't have room for him.

Darche if you get any offer at all.

But really other than that, you take the calls and unless someone knocks your socks off, or wants a Gomez.

the Habs are a LONG way from out of the playoff picture! the way I see it - they need to end the season in 3rd place in their division - basically passing 2 of Toronto, Buffalo & Ottawa. that's not unrealistic since Toronto is only 8 points ahead with 41 games left! this is very surmountable. not easily surmountable, but very. we dont need to rent players or have a firesale. only player who could move is Kostitsyn if he can't be resigned. beyond that, it's a fine team that SHOULD still be able to squeak into the playoffs without major adjustments.

Unless you go on a pretty big run over the next 6 weeks, I figure you sell off Campoli and Gill too, and figute out what you are doing with Moen... is he back or is he moved.

Weber is another guy who could potentially move as it appears they don't have room for him.

Darche if you get any offer at all.

But really other than that, you take the calls and unless someone knocks your socks off, or wants a Gomez.

No, I agree; I was just saying I don't want to lose Kosty for nothing regardless of the playoff situation, IF he can muster a decent return.

What would everyone think if Montreal didn't do anything on or up to the deadline? Decided to stay course and see what happens?

Depends on the standings

If we were close to the playoffs I wouldn't complain too much (though i think Campoli should be dumped even if we are close due to the potential return and an excess number of Dmen).

If we are still as far out as we are today, I'd hate it.

I agree that as the deadline nears, we will know more, but 7 points out of the playoffs with 41 games to play is not 17 points. Everyone is getting excited thinking lottery. I said it before the season began, and I would find it if the archives went back more than a week, but I think Montreal will fight Toronto for the 8th playoff spot.

I agree that as the deadline nears, we will know more, but 7 points out of the playoffs with 41 games to play is not 17 points. Everyone is getting excited thinking lottery. I said it before the season began, and I would find it if the archives went back more than a week, but I think Montreal will fight Toronto for the 8th playoff spot.

I do remember you saying that and its quite possible that prediction will be correct (if we miss out the playoffs to them... oh I just don't want to hear about it!)

Agreed.

I wouldn't take out the option to blow this thing up just yet. You may assume that we are going to have a better second half but it may not play out that way. I am a believer that you got to try to get better every year and it is foolhearty to remain status quo. If it is not working out for this year you put your resources into the next years. Our options will be alot clearer in 5-6 weeks.

I wouldn't take out the option to blow this thing up just yet. You may assume that we are going to have a better second half but it may not play out that way. I am a believer that you got to try to get better every year and it is foolhearty to remain status quo. If it is not working out for this year you put your resources into the next years. Our options will be alot clearer in 5-6 weeks.

yes but right now we have a new coach.. our team should be at its most healthiest all season by saturday when gomez returns. and white and markov coming soon.. why not just let it play out. obviously if we have a chance to move gomez you pull the trigger. or if someone comes knocking on the door asking for cammellerri, gio or moen gill campoli you entertain there offer... but actively shopping right now will deter the team from focusing on the task at hand.... which i think is going 8-3 in january!

yes but right now we have a new coach.. our team should be at its most healthiest all season by saturday when gomez returns. and white and markov coming soon.. why not just let it play out. obviously if we have a chance to move gomez you pull the trigger. or if someone comes knocking on the door asking for cammellerri, gio or moen gill campoli you entertain there offer... but actively shopping right now will deter the team from focusing on the task at hand.... which i think is going 8-3 in january!

I have repeatedly said that we should hold on to our resources as long as we can before we have to make decision at the trade deadline. And yes there is reason to be optimistic going forward. All I said to CC was not to take out the option to blow this up just yet. If for example, we end up with the same results at the deadline that we have experienced todate, yes quite frankly you blow this up. We need more data before we make any determination.

They are out of the playoff picture whether Gomez, White or Markov comes back. I would would put Markov on LTIR and save the cap hit. Just get him ready for next year.

They won't any dumb moves to save the season. If they do they all should immeduiately get fired including the owner.

They have some assests they can move to improve next year. They have some good young players.

They can move Pleks, Cammy, Moen, AK46 Weber Gill, Campoli. I know, i don't hate Pleks, just think it's time to move him.

What they need back is a LW like Clowe, a LW like Torres and a big cnter prospect. They can also land another first rounder.

It still leaves the roster in decent shape with the return they get from some of those players.

I believe Leblanc will make it on the roster next year, have a battle between Gallegher and Cristo for a RW position.

The team is younger next year, they still need a direction, coaching staff and possibly a GM to get everyone movign in the same direction.

They are more physical and entertaining since the coaching change, but they aren't good enough to pass 5 teams and make the playoffs.

Even if we scrape into the playoffs, what does that do for us? Sure, Molsen makes some more money, but it doesn't make us contenders.

Now someone will toss out the old "just get in and anything can happen". Sure, but it rarely does. I would rather go into the playoffs as the Bruins, NYR, Vancouver, Chicago... type team. Ie.. a real contender with a good chance of making the final and winning the cup. I am tired of every couple of years sneaking in and hoping for a miracle run.

This team needs some work to improve. This is the year to do that work. It doesn't mean blowing it all up. It means making some solid deals at the deadline to dump contracts and doing some decent drafting. As I said earlier, we might be back with a high double draft next year if there is a long lockout. We could then have a team ready to be contenders for years to come. That is how you win cups.

Come on bar, seriously. I'll take that bet. There is no chance they make it.

As Brobin points out, getting rid of some vet underachievers, getting back some some players and an additional 1st rounder is the way to go. They need to get grittier, tougher and a top end center either through trade or lottery pick.

The one thing Cunneyworth is doing is giving time to players who deserve it, it's making a difference in wins and the type of play. They actually out hit the last 2 opponants. Not just because of Emelin.