Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

I still remember Armia getting hit & concussed (was it playoffs?) and hasnt been the same since then and that was several years ago.

1 hour ago, DON said:

I still remember Armia getting hit & concussed (was it playoffs?) and hasnt been the same since then and that was several years ago.

It was January 21, 2021 against Vancouver ... he had just scored 2g-3a in back-to-back games against the 'Nucks, after going scoreless in 3 games to start the season ... he was out until February 10, 2021, almost three weeks ... he scored 5g and 4a in the final 36 games... given his history I wouldn't take the 5 pts in 5 games as a sign he finally "broken out" ... but he dropped almost a third from his previous pts/gm (as average as it was).

Time to start looking for 2031 first-rounders in trades?

That is when Tep is draft eligible ... Misa is in the 2025 draft.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised that DeSmith hasn't been moved yet.  Looking around the league, Tampa Bay seems like they might be the best fit for them but they're $73,333 over their LTIR ceiling which makes a move hard to make.  I think I've found a workaround:

To Tampa Bay:

G Casey DeSmith (one year, $1.8M)

To Montreal:

D Philippe Myers (one year, $1.4M)

Small something (2025 fifth-round pick comes to mind; DeSmith's value just isn't that high right now)

Myers is projected to be on Tampa's books at $250,000 with him presumed to be in the minors.  But if Tampa does this move, waives their projected backup (Jonas Johansson), and waives the corpse of Zach Bogosian, they'd free up exactly $75,000 in space.  That would get them in cap compliance and get a much better second-string goalie, all at the cost of a small something since the other two guys aren't all that good anyway.

For Montreal, the move frees up $1.55M in cap space now, assuming Myers is waived and buried in Laval.  That makes it easier to get to Day One cap compliance with Price on the roster, allowing them to use in-season LTIR.  He'd be a decent blueliner for the Rocket while giving them some RD insurance amidst the Wideman injury speculation.  It also would allow them to get at least a small positive value return for a piece they probably didn't want to take on in the first place.  Not a great return but it checks some boxes for both sides.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised that DeSmith hasn't been moved yet.  Looking around the league, Tampa Bay seems like they might be the best fit for them but they're $73,333 over their LTIR ceiling which makes a move hard to make.  I think I've found a workaround:

To Tampa Bay:

To Montreal:

Small something (2025 fifth-round pick comes to mind; DeSmith's value just isn't that high right now)

Myers is projected to be on Tampa's books at $250,000 with him presumed to be in the minors.  But if Tampa does this move, waives their projected backup (Jonas Johansson), and waives the corpse of Zach Bogosian, they'd free up exactly $75,000 in space.  That would get them in cap compliance and get a much better second-string goalie, all at the cost of a small something since the other two guys aren't all that good anyway.

For Montreal, the move frees up $1.55M in cap space now, assuming Myers is waived and buried in Laval.  That makes it easier to get to Day One cap compliance with Price on the roster, allowing them to use in-season LTIR.  He'd be a decent blueliner for the Rocket while giving them some RD insurance amidst the Wideman injury speculation.  It also would allow them to get at least a small positive value return for a piece they probably didn't want to take on in the first place.  Not a great return but it checks some boxes for both sides.

I swear Brian if this comes to fruition..

7 hours ago, dlbalr said:

To Tampa Bay:

To Montreal:

Given the Kevin Poulin news, don't you think the Habs will just waive DeSmith and use him in Laval? That wouldn't save $1.55 million but it would save $1.15 million.

If DeSmith had more value sure, but another 5th I'm kinda meh on.

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

Given the Kevin Poulin news, don't you think the Habs will just waive DeSmith and use him in Laval? That wouldn't save $1.55 million but it would save $1.15 million.

If DeSmith had more value sure, but another 5th I'm kinda meh on.

It's not the worst idea but Hughes came out and said that DeSmith wasn't acquired to go play in Laval so I'll take him at his word on that for now.  I think they'd carry 3 goalies over embarrassing him by burying him in the minors.  What happens with Primeau could also play a role.  If he clears, there wouldn't be room for DeSmith in Laval either.

The Poulin retirement took an option off the table but there are others like him sitting without a deal right now.  J-F Berube and Aaron Dell are on PTOs while Jon Gillies and Michael Hutchinson are unsigned.  Any one of those could take a deal to be the veteran backup to Dobes should Primeau and DeSmith both exit without a goalie coming back.

I'd love to aim higher in my proposal from a pick perspective - maybe they can push for the 2025 4th - but I have to think that if there was a decent pick on the table for DeSmith, he'd have been moved already.

• Upvote 1

oh i'm sure that nothing of real value is being offered for DeSmith. 

I just think it might be worth it to keep him around, so that when the inevitable goalie injury/performance crisis occurs somewhere in the league, we can flip them DeSmith or trade them Jake Allen, and actually get something of value in return.

There is no value out there now, but perhaps some other team's desperate situation provides more value. 

One of the two goalies is going. Hopefully by trade and at this point maybe a fourth rounder is all. 

I can't help but think that it might take a Package. I have a weird feeling the Canadiens may be getting rid of Gallagher and a goalie to a bottom dwelling team like Chicago. And I suspect they give almost nothing back. Just take on Salary.

2 hours ago, dreegking said:

One of the two goalies is going. Hopefully by trade and at this point maybe a fourth rounder is all. 

I can't help but think that it might take a Package. I have a weird feeling the Canadiens may be getting rid of Gallagher and a goalie to a bottom dwelling team like Chicago. And I suspect they give almost nothing back. Just take on Salary.

And what do the Canadiens give that bottom dwelling team to entice them into taking on DeSmith (a moderately priced backup) or Allen (a very expensive backup), and Gallagher's contract with FOUR years remaining @$6.5M AAV?

Other than the bit of cap crunch for opening day, not in a huge need to trade Gallagher this year, who i think may have an OK season.

Somehow someway Desmith will be traded in next few weeks, is my guess. 

• 2 weeks later...

With Dvorak out until November, HuGo's preference to not use LTIR to be in compliance with the cap to start the season is made more difficult ... would the 3rd and 4th rounders obtained in the "Petry trade chain" be enough to move Armia's 2yrs@$3.4M AAV?  

46 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

With Dvorak out until November, HuGo's preference to not use LTIR to be in compliance with the cap to start the season is made more difficult ... would the 3rd and 4th rounders obtained in the "Petry trade chain" be enough to move Armia's 2yrs@$3.4M AAV?  

I hope so, there is no room for him in the lineup I prefer the Habs to have

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hope so, there is no room for him in the lineup I prefer the Habs to have

I don't like to see anyone injured, but yeah - Dvorak has been a singularly uninspiring player. Good enough for a roster spot, but not especially good at anything as far as I can see. He's basically as bland and generic as they come. 

8 hours ago, GHT120 said:

... would the 3rd and 4th rounders obtained in the "Petry trade chain" be enough to move Armia's 2yrs@$3.4M AAV?  

Hard to say, might be close to being enough. However it would be the opposite kind of trade to what Hughes has been doing. He has been giving up cap room to get more picks, this would be the exact opposite. I guess it all depends on how things net out after all is said and done. 

12 minutes ago, ehjay said:

would Zegras for Guhle be:

fair?

and good for the Habs?? 

Interesting proposal. I would think Anaheim would want more given that Zegras has proven himself more at the NHL level. They would want Guhle and something else. 

Not sure Anaheim is ready to give up on Zegras but obviously negotiations aren't going well. Not sure what he is asking for. He would give Montreal's offense a shot in the arm and he is young. But at what cost (player wise and salary wise). Interesting to think about though as Montreal has a lot of good young defense prospects but Guhle is a good one for sure. 

• Like 1

I wouldnt want to make that trade. Not that I wouldn't want Zegras. I just don't think moving 

HUTSON

GUHLE

REINBACHER

MAILLOUX

ENGSTROM 

and to a lesser extent Xhekaj

in no particular order will make us a better team long term.

24 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Interesting proposal. I would think Anaheim would want more given that Zegras has proven himself more at the NHL level. They would want Guhle and something else. 

Not sure Anaheim is ready to give up on Zegras but obviously negotiations aren't going well. Not sure what he is asking for. He would give Montreal's offense a shot in the arm and he is young. But at what cost (player wise and salary wise). Interesting to think about though as Montreal has a lot of good young defense prospects but Guhle is a good one for sure. 

maybe Guhle and a 1st in 2027 top 2 protected then :)

i would guess if u twin CC contract for Zegras, man would be cool with that ... well from the rumor numbers out in the interwebs :)

20 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Different idea.  Vasilevskiy is out for two months. 

What would you want from them to take Jake Allen off our hands. 

We can always claim a backup goalie off waivers if you don't trust Primeau. 

Allen might be a good short term fill in for a couple months but when Vasilevsky comes off of IR then the Bolts have serious cap issues. The Habs might have to take some salary back and Tampa can't really trade away any more picks can they?  

7 minutes ago, ehjay said:

maybe Guhle and a 1st in 2027 top 2 protected then :)

i would guess if u twin CC contract for Zegras, man would be cool with that ... well from the rumor numbers out in the interwebs :)

I don't think Hughes would give up a 1st and Guhle but certainly Zegras wouldn't come cheap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Allen might be a good short term fill in for a couple months but when Vasilevsky comes off of IR then the Bolts have serious cap issues. The Habs might have to take some salary back and Tampa can't really trade away any more picks can they?  

I like the idea, but TBL is not expected to use LTIR for Vasilevskiy precisely because he is expected back in later 2023, and his full AAV would return to the cap when he did ... they are in a horrible cap crunch ... currently $6,948,333 over the cap with Seabrook ($6,875,000) expected to go on LTIR ... 6 of their 10 skaters with AAVs of $2M or more have NTC/NMCs ... a trade would be challenging, to say the least ... TBL's next two first round picks are already traded and not certain how deep their prospect pool is at this point ... so I don't know how the cap could work or what they could offer, unless HuGo just want to move Allen's cap hit out of town.

Now MONTEMBEAULT would be easy for TBL to fit under their cap, but it would take AN AWFUL LOT  for HuGo to even consider moving Samuel.