Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

2 hours ago, huzer said:

Slaf and Newhook do not mesh, and despite MSL's stubbornness with that line, they need to try a different duo there.

Slaf, Dach and Newhook really did appear to mesh in the first few games, before Dach's injury. But Anderson is no Dach, in spite of the size that he brings to the line.

I would like to see what this line will look like once Monahan returns, I don't expect to see Anderson there after that.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Slaf, Dach and Newhook really did appear to mesh in the first few games, before Dach's injury. But Anderson is no Dach, in spite of the size that he brings to the line.

More importantly ... Newhook is (at the moment at least) not an NHL centre ... stick Monahan between the two youngsters ... suspect their play would greatly improve

9 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

More importantly ... Newhook is (at the moment at least) not an NHL centre ... stick Monahan between the two youngsters ... suspect their play would greatly improve

Right. It looks like we'll see Slafkovsky-Dvorak-Newhook tonight, that's at least a step in the right direction. (Putting Anderson on the top line is a whole different topic though.)

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Right. It looks like we'll see Slafkovsky-Dvorak-Newhook tonight, that's at least a step in the right direction. (Putting Anderson on the top line is a whole different topic though.)

Putting Anderson anywhere is a whole different topic.

But can Dvorak be ANY help with Newhook and Slafkovsky's offence?  Putting "winning" ahead of development?

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

But can Dvorak be NY help with Newhook and Slafkovsky's offence?  Putting "winning" ahead of development?

As much as he's maligned around here, Dvorak should make a positive impact for Slafkovsky and Newhook. At least I think so ... we'll find out in less than an hour.

Seeing as Montréal is in desperate need of moving a goalie and Edmonton is desperate to get goaltending.  How about a crazy proposal.

To Edmonton

Allen

To Montréal

Campbell, $1.15m retained

Xaveir Bourgault

Oilers get a hot goalie as they desperately need goaltending.  The cap hit is a wash for the first 2 years, but Edmonton gets out of most of Campbell's cap hit in year 3 and 4.  They have been trying to move him for nearly a year anyway.

Montréal uses Price's LTIR for Campbell, who can be sent to the minors or further retained in an attempt to move, which would be doubtful anytime soon.  They get a good RW prospect that is still in the minors, looking to get NHL icetime this year.  The biggest downside is Campbell's contract runs a year longer than Price's LTIR.  By this time anything can happen, from cap space being freed up by trades or the possibility of Campbell playing well enough to be traded.

This would imply Montembeault and Primeau would be 1/2, with Campbell being in the minors to save some of the cap hit and only used in case of an injury.  Nobody will claim him off waivers.

27 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Seeing as Montréal is in desperate need of moving a goalie and Edmonton is desperate to get goaltending.  How about a crazy proposal.

To Edmonton

Allen

To Montréal

Xaveir Bourgault

Oilers get a hot goalie as they desperately need goaltending.  The cap hit is a wash for the first 2 years, but Edmonton gets out of most of Campbell's cap hit in year 3 and 4.  They have been trying to move him for nearly a year anyway.

Montréal uses Price's LTIR for Campbell, who can be sent to the minors or further retained in an attempt to move, which would be doubtful anytime soon.  They get a good RW prospect that is still in the minors, looking to get NHL icetime this year.  The biggest downside is Campbell's contract runs a year longer than Price's LTIR.  By this time anything can happen, from cap space being freed up by trades or the possibility of Campbell playing well enough to be traded.

This would imply Montembeault and Primeau would be 1/2, with Campbell being in the minors to save some of the cap hit and only used in case of an injury.  Nobody will claim him off waivers.

Edmonton would have to *** PAY *** a lot more just to rid themselves of Campbell than an average-sized RW who has not had great results in the AHL ... let alone add Jake Allen in the same deal ... AT LEAST Evan Bouchard+.

25 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

To Edmonton

Allen

To Montréal

Xaveir Bourgault

No way do I want Campbell’s cap hit at. A time we while be making a push to be a legit playoff team, and potentially a contender. I wouldn’t mind trading Allen for a good prospect and a a bad contract for the rest of this year, and at most next year. But not longer than that.

I think Tampa could be another team  that may be interested in one our goalies - but would need to dump salary.

55 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

No way do I want Campbell’s cap hit at. A time we while be making a push to be a legit playoff team, and potentially a contender. I wouldn’t mind trading Allen for a good prospect and a a bad contract for the rest of this year, and at most next year. But not longer than that.

I think Tampa could be another team  that may be interested in one our goalies - but would need to dump salary.

The cupboards are bare in Edmonton, and even barer in Tampa Bay.  Edmonton has a few prospects that could make NHL impact, while Tampa Bay has a few prospect that are a wish and a prayer.  Any deal with Tampa Bay would be from picks.

29 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

The cupboards are bare in Edmonton, and even barer in Tampa Bay.  Edmonton has a few prospects that could make NHL impact, while Tampa Bay has a few prospect that are a wish and a prayer.  Any deal with Tampa Bay would be from picks.

Lightning's 2024 first and second are spoken for, as is there 2025 first ... and Vasilevsky is rumoured to be returning by American Thanksgiving, so I expect they will tough it out.

Carolina is another "Cup contender" with bad goaltending at the moment ... all three of their goalies are sub-.900 Sv% at the moment ... 

24 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Lightning's 2024 first and second are spoken for, as is there 2025 first ... and Vasilevsky is rumoured to be returning by American Thanksgiving, so I expect they will tough it out.

Carolina is another "Cup contender" with bad goaltending at the moment ... all three of their goalies are sub-.900 Sv% at the moment ... 

I knew the Tampa Bay situation was bleak.

I would doubt Carolina makes a deal with Montreal unless they are really desperate.  I could see Allen for Andersson plus if it were to happen.

I just think it's way too early for teams to panic. Tampa is just fine with Vaslevsky coming back, Carolina will be fine as I think Anderson can turn it around.  Edmonton has no cap space and who wants to take on Campbell's contract. The Oiler will wait, they made it to the semi-final with the same group, the answer there is inside the room and fortunately for them being in the Western Conference they have a little more wiggle room. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I just think it's way too early for teams to panic. Tampa is just fine with Vaslevsky coming back, Carolina will be fine as I think Anderson can turn it around.  Edmonton has no cap space and who wants to take on Campbell's contract. The Oiler will wait, they made it to the semi-final with the same group, the answer there is inside the room and fortunately for them being in the Western Conference they have a little more wiggle room. 

I agree on TBL, and Carolina will also be patient, although to @TurdBurglar's point, I would hope Bergevin's departure has "cooled" the tensions between the teams, but with Dundon who knows.

The Oilers had the worst GAA of the any team that made it past the first-round in last spring's playoffs ... I am not certain that between the pipes the answer is "inside the room" ... BUT ... their cap is a huge obstacle ... the only skaters making over $2.75M that don't have some sort NMC/NTC/M-NTC are Bouchard and Ceci, their 2nd&3rd most used defencemen ... unless they can move Campbell somehow, any trade for an established, veteran goalie is unlikely (not counting a "recognizable name" on a near-minimum contract, such as Matt Murray or Jonathan Quick ... not suggesting either).

35 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I agree on TBL, and Carolina will also be patient, although to @TurdBurglar's point, I would hope Bergevin's departure has "cooled" the tensions between the teams, but with Dundon who knows.

The Oilers had the worst GAA of the any team that made it past the first-round in last spring's playoffs ... I am not certain that between the pipes the answer is "inside the room" ... BUT ... their cap is a huge obstacle ... the only skaters making over $2.75M that don't have some sort NMC/NTC/M-NTC are Bouchard and Ceci, their 2nd&3rd most used defencemen ... unless they can move Campbell somehow, any trade for an established, veteran goalie is unlikely (not counting a "recognizable name" on a near-minimum contract, such as Matt Murray or Jonathan Quick ... not suggesting either).

The Oilers are in a tough spot cap wise and I am not sure what they can do. Moving Campbell will be really really hard. I think they will give it at least a couple more weeks and see what happens. Tonight is a really big game for them. I think playing on the road is what they need to relax a bit. Oiler fans are pretty grumpy right now. 

Flowing out of earlier discussions ... Carolina MAY need to be a bit more worried than we assumed

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Edmonton HAS to upgrade their goaltending.

If Bouchard DIDN’T break out last year and they were in the same situation, who knows if an Allan+Baron for skinner+Bouchard would have been possible.

i think Bouchard is probably untouchable now.

Then again, who knows how much Baron would look with Ekholm?

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Oilers are in a tough spot cap wise and I am not sure what they can do. Moving Campbell will be really really hard. I think they will give it at least a couple more weeks and see what happens. Tonight is a really big game for them. I think playing on the road is what they need to relax a bit. Oiler fans are pretty grumpy right now. 

I think anyone taking on Campbell’s contract has to be nuts. Even if Edmonton retained 50% - who would we by him?

24 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Edmonton HAS to upgrade their goaltending.

If Bouchard DIDN’T break out last year and they were in the same situation, who knows if an Allan+Baron for skinner+Bouchard would have been possible.

i think Bouchard is probably untouchable now.

Then again, who knows how much Baron would look with Ekholm?

Bouchard has had a really tough start to the year defensively. Oilers are in a tough spot but I don't think they do anything in the short term. 

I really enjoyed the 1st period of the Tampa - Leafs game.  Tampa looks just fine. Don't see any trades there. Kucherov had a period. 

41 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think anyone taking on Campbell’s contract has to be nuts. Even if Edmonton retained 50% - who would we by him?

Well, I'd be willing to give them Gallagher if they give us Campbell and McDavid.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Flowing out of earlier discussions ... Carolina MAY need to be a bit more worried than we assumed

They're giving Halak a look which is a stopgap option but if Raanta can play better or Kochetkov goes on a run, they might be okay for now.

14 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Bouchard has had a really tough start to the year defensively. Oilers are in a tough spot but I don't think they do anything in the short term.

Rumors have been swirling for a week now about Woodcroft getting canned.  With his ejection last night, it's clear he's grasping at straws to get the team going.  Maybe player-wise nothing is planned for the short term, but those plans will quickly change as the window is closing fast on the Oilers playoff hopes.  They realistically need to get to .500 by January to have a remote chance to make the playoffs.  Which would involve quite the turn around in the short term.

10 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Rumors have been swirling for a week now about Woodcroft getting canned.  With his ejection last night, it's clear he's grasping at straws to get the team going.  Maybe player-wise nothing is planned for the short term, but those plans will quickly change as the window is closing fast on the Oilers playoff hopes.  They realistically need to get to .500 by January to have a remote chance to make the playoffs.  Which would involve quite the turn around in the short term.

What is going on in EDM is insane. They changed to a zone D system - to me that would have to be the main explanation. The team has struggled to adapt and now it’s snowballing. (And there may be a wider lesson here…when you have success with a system, don’t change it, but rather focus on improving player execution within it so as to reach the next level).

I sure wouldn’t wait much longer before canning Woodcroft. They can’t afford it. Whether as a new coach you come in and return them to their previous defensive structure, I don’t know. 

13 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Changing the coach is always the easy short term solution. This is basically the same team that made the Stanley Cup semi finals last year. They have little cap room flexibility and other GM's can smell desperation. This team is basically all in with McDavid/Draisaitl in their prime and new contracts for them not that far on the horizon. I think the next couple weeks will determine whether changes are made.