Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yeah that contract is down right scary but is there a package that makes HuGo consider it?

Imagine if Huberdeau went back to the 100 point guy after joining us. 

Significant risk , significant reward but to be strapped with that contract if he can’t put up points any more would suck.  

Given that we are probably two years away from being legit (assuming Hutson/Reinbacher come in next year and are big parts in their second year, and Guhle keeps taking bigger steps), and that Huberdeau will probably decline further, I wouldn’t want $10m tied up with him.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

(assuming Hutson/Reinbacher come in next year and are big parts in their second year, and Guhle keeps taking bigger steps)

This is the best case scenario, we all know odds are against it all panning out, for one reason or other... or trade.

But agree on Huberdeau.

Clearly the Oilers are looking for a new goalie.  I think they would want Jake Allen since he is reasonably proven.  There aren't many other choices around the league that are cheap enough and established enough for them to go after.

They have no cap space and so a trade will have to equalize salaries.   What would you be willing to take in exchange for Allen?  I think I would want a first round pick in the deal. Something like Foegele, Janmark (expiring contracts) and their first in either this year or next (they can choose at the draft) for Allen, Pezzetta and Heineman.  This is not great for Edmonton but they need a goalie badly and they will need to shed some cap to get one.  

Or maybe Foegele and one of Edmonton's first round picks for Allen and Pezzetta and they wave Skinner to make cap space.

I think Hughes would be reluctant to trade Allen so soon after his new contract began but I suspect Allen would be okay going to become the starter in Edmonton.

On 11/8/2023 at 6:13 PM, hab29RETIRED said:

Given that we are probably two years away from being legit (assuming Hutson/Reinbacher come in next year and are big parts in their second year, and Guhle keeps taking bigger steps), and that Huberdeau will probably decline further, I wouldn’t want $10m tied up with him.

Agreed. Hughes will not get sucked into taking on an overpaid aging asset just because he has a French name.  The Habs are rebuilding. Huberdeau doesn't fit into it at all.

37 minutes ago, Peter Puck said:

Clearly the Oilers are looking for a new goalie.  I think they would want Jake Allen since he is reasonably proven.  There aren't many other choices around the league that are cheap enough and established enough for them to go after.

They have no cap space and so a trade will have to equalize salaries.   What would you be willing to take in exchange for Allen?  I think I would want a first round pick in the deal. Something like Foegele, Janmark (expiring contracts) and their first in either this year or next (they can choose at the draft) for Allen, Pezzetta and Heineman.  This is not great for Edmonton but they need a goalie badly and they will need to shed some cap to get one.  

Or maybe Foegele and one of Edmonton's first round picks for Allen and Pezzetta and they wave Skinner to make cap space.

I think Hughes would be reluctant to trade Allen so soon after his new contract began but I suspect Allen would be okay going to become the starter in Edmonton.

Allen has a 7-team NTC, and Hughes has indicated (if I recall) that he told Allen he is not on the market ... so the first question is whether Allen wants to leave Montreal.

I am not certain why the Habs need to add anyone but Allen ... Montreal is giving up the prime asset and the Oilers won't have the cap space to take on Pezzetta ... in contract terms, Foegele and Janmark for Allen adds $100K to the Oilers cap, although Pickard being sent down leaves Edmonton with $662.5K in cap space ... but that is less than the NHL minimum ($775K) ... it would also leave Edmonton with 12 forwards and they already are going with only 6 defencemen; so no spares on the NHL roster ... just not certain the cap works unless Holland is also willing to risk moving Bouchard ($3.9M) for one of the Habs young defencemen (Harris or Barron).

EDIT: I forgot the $21-25K of cap space the Oilers currently have (projected vs current) ... not that it gives them enough space to add a spare forward or defenceman ... maybe one od the other once they are deep enough into their schedule for enough cap space to have accrued.

15 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Allen has a 7-team NTC, and Hughes has indicated (if I recall) that he told Allen he is not on the market ... so the first question is whether Allen wants to leave Montreal.

I am not certain why the Habs need to add anyone but Allen ... Montreal is giving up the prime asset and the Oilers won't have the cap space to take on Pezzetta ... in contract terms, Foegele and Janmark for Allen adds $100K to the Oilers cap, although Pickard being sent down leaves Edmonton with $662.5K in cap space ... but that is less than the NHL minimum ($775K) ... it would also leave Edmonton with 12 forwards and they already are going with only 6 defencemen; so no spares on the NHL roster ... just not certain the cap works unless Holland is also willing to risk moving Bouchard ($3.9M) for one of the Habs young defencemen (Harris or Barron).

EDIT: I forgot the $21-25K of cap space the Oilers currently have (projected vs current) ... not that it gives them enough space to add a spare forward or defenceman ... maybe one od the other once they are deep enough into their schedule for enough cap space to have accrued.

I can't imagine that Hughes would trade Barron at this point, nor should he. I think that Hughes will only make a deal if he can leverage Holland's desperation to salvage his legacy and his job. Remember the old saying: When fellow GMs see you struggling, they don't throw life preservers; they throw anchors". 

22 minutes ago, PMAC said:

I can't imagine that Hughes would trade Barron at this point, nor should he. I think that Hughes will only make a deal if he can leverage Holland's desperation to salvage his legacy and his job. Remember the old saying: When fellow GMs see you struggling, they don't throw life preservers; they throw anchors". 

Wasn't necessarily advocating trading Barron ... more pointing out that moving Bouchard is about the only way to make the $$$ work.

28 minutes ago, PMAC said:

I think that Hughes will only make a deal if he can leverage Holland's desperation to salvage his legacy and his job. Remember the old saying: When fellow GMs see you struggling, they don't throw life preservers; they throw anchors". 

Agree 100 %. If you look up desperate in the dictionary you will see a picture of Ken Holland. He has to pull a rabbit out of a hat with his hands tied behind his back. I can't believe how bad the Oilers are right now.

1 hour ago, Peter Puck said:

These proposals don't work cap-wise for Edmonton (even with waiving Skinner); it has to be closer to matching money than that.  And an Allen-Pickard tandem probably isn't really what they want to go with if they have serious aspirations of playoff contention.

Money-wise, Allen for Ceci and Pickard works (fill in the other non-NHL pieces as needed) but even that is tight for Edmonton as it cuts down their max carryable roster size by a player for the rest of the season. 

I actually think Edmonton is shooting higher right now.  I believe they inquired about Binnington in St. Louis and Ullmark in Boston with Campbell being a matching piece as part of those offers.  Does Allen really move the needle that much that they'd move a key future piece for him?  I don't think that's their Plan A.

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

These proposals don't work cap-wise for Edmonton (even with waiving Skinner); it has to be closer to matching money than that.  And an Allen-Pickard tandem probably isn't really what they want to go with if they have serious aspirations of playoff contention.

Money-wise, Allen for Ceci and Pickard works (fill in the other non-NHL pieces as needed) but even that is tight for Edmonton as it cuts down their max carryable roster size by a player for the rest of the season. 

Does Allen really move the needle that much that they'd move a key future piece for him?  I don't think that's their Plan A.

I don't think that's their Plan A either. Allen is an upgrade but not enough of a difference maker. I think they are shooting higher.

On 11/10/2023 at 7:04 PM, dlbalr said:

I actually think Edmonton is shooting higher right now.  I believe they inquired about Binnington in St. Louis and Ullmark in Boston with Campbell being a matching piece as part of those offers.  Does Allen really move the needle that much that they'd move a key future piece for him?  I don't think that's their Plan A.

The whole Ullmark inquiry was a mock proposal by a sports writer that has Draisaitl going to Boston.  Every reference I’ve seen to that idea refers back to that mock proposal.  It has no teeth, so to speak, outside of that.  Also, it make very little sense for either team to trade Ullmark for Draisaitl.  Draisaitl is just as untouchable in Edmonton as McDavid is.

Binnington is realistically the most reasonable suggestion I’ve seen.  It’s no secret that St Louis has been trying to move him since at least last season.  That trade would be Campbell plus for Binnington.

20 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

The whole Ullmark inquiry was a mock proposal by a sports writer that has Draisaitl going to Boston.  Every reference I’ve seen to that idea refers back to that mock proposal.  It has no teeth, so to speak, outside of that.  Also, it make very little sense for either team to trade Ullmark for Draisaitl.  Draisaitl is just as untouchable in Edmonton as McDavid is.

Binnington is realistically the most reasonable suggestion I’ve seen.  It’s no secret that St Louis has been trying to move him since at least last season.  That trade would be Campbell plus for Binnington.

The sports writer must have been a Bruins fan. It would take a whole lot more than Ullmark to get one of the top 5 players in the NHL. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The sports writer must have been a Bruins fan. It would take a whole lot more than Ullmark to get one of the top 5 players in the NHL. 

The proposed trade was:

Draisaitl and Foegele

for

Ullmark, DeBrusk, Poitras, Lysell and a 2026 1st rounder

The original tweet with the idea:

hhttps://x.com/Buccigross/status/1720412424795226157

13 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

The proposed trade was:

Draisaitl and Foegele

for

Ullmark, DeBrusk, Poitras, Lysell and a 2026 1st rounder

The original tweet with the idea:

hhttps://x.com/Buccigross/status/1720412424795226157

That wasn't the source I was referencing.  The report that they had talked about Ullmark that I had seen a while back didn't involve Draisaitl either.  (I think it was Nugent-Hopkins as the key piece of the return but I'm not 100% sure.  Those talks didn't go far though.)

19 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

Throwing something out there. No idea how it would work. If I was Edmonton I'd be interested in doing a move to add Kovacevic and ditch Ceci. Freeing up 2.5M and not really downgrading would be desirable.

Any thoughts?? 

That's a great trade for Edmonton.  I don't see much value for Montreal.  Kovacevic is developing well, Ceci is what he is.  I'm assuming something else would be coming with Ceci, but I doubt it'll be anything of substance.  Even if the idea is Ceci to trade next year and a prospect, I think Kovacevic is more of what Montreal wants.  The only real consideration would be if the prospect is called Bougault or Petrov.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Plutarch said:

Throwing something out there. No idea how it would work. If I was Edmonton I'd be interested in doing a move to add Kovacevic and ditch Ceci. Freeing up 2.5M and not really downgrading would be desirable.

Any thoughts?? 

I like Kovacevic as a long-term Hab is my 1st thought and i dont know what is a good deal.

Big cheap ($766k next year) rh d, who is 26 and coming into his prime (whatever ceiling that may be).

2 hours ago, Plutarch said:

Any thoughts?? 

Such a trade I-M-O makes no sense for Montreal on its own, but ***could possibly*** be part of a Jake Allen deal ... Ceci ($3.25M) and Warren Foegele ($2.75) ... for ... Allen ($3.85M) and Kovacevic ($767K) ... Oilers save $1.383M ... which would allow them to replace Foegele ... I expect they would demote Pickard which would then provide enough cap space for them to add a 13th forward as well.

But the question is WHY would the Habs make the deal ... Oilers are gaining a proven NHL goalie and some minor cap flexibility ... while maybe taking a bit of a hit on defence as Ceci has been a regular 2nd pairing defender ... Habs would be taking on an extra year of Ceci (although he may well be tradeable if they so choose).

I expect HuGo would want at least a 1st and a prospect, maybe two ... perhaps Holloway and Reid Schaefer ... or maybe a 1st, a prospect and swapping some picks (e.g., the Habs 2024 3rd for the Oilers 2024 2nd).

BUT, if a deal could be reached, the $64,000 Question is whether Edmonton is on Allen's 7-team NTC, and if so would he waive it?

17 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Such a trade I-M-O makes no sense for Montreal on its own, but ***could possibly*** be part of a Jake Allen deal ... Ceci ($3.25M) and Warren Foegele ($2.75) ... for ... Allen ($3.85M) and Kovacevic ($767K) ... Oilers save $1.383M ... which would allow them to replace Foegele ... I expect they would demote Pickard which would then provide enough cap space for them to add a 13th forward as well.

But the question is WHY would the Habs make the deal ... Oilers are gaining a proven NHL goalie and some minor cap flexibility ... while maybe taking a bit of a hit on defence as Ceci has been a regular 2nd pairing defender ... Habs would be taking on an extra year of Ceci (although he may well be tradeable if they so choose).

I expect HuGo would want at least a 1st and a prospect, maybe two ... perhaps Holloway and Reid Schaefer ... or maybe a 1st, a prospect and swapping some picks (e.g., the Habs 2024 3rd for the Oilers 2024 2nd).

BUT, if a deal could be reached, the $64,000 Question is whether Edmonton is on Allen's 7-team NTC, and if so would he waive it?

Agree there would have to multiple pieces involved to make it work and the Habs would need a pick and/or prospects. Reid Schaefer went to Nashville in the Ekholm trade so the Oiler prospect pool isn't overflowing right now. 

On 11/19/2023 at 6:26 PM, GHT120 said:

That's where my brain was going with it. Oilers are desperate and possibly a big haul could be made.

With the Dreger saying Oilers will likely acquire Montembeault.  How crazy would this trade be?

To Montreal:

RNH, Pickard, Xhekaj

To Edmonton:

Montembeault, Monahan(50% salary retention), Broberg

Oilers aren't as high on Broberg as they were last year.  Oilers save ~$3m in cap space and get a cheaper replacement for RNH.  Montreal also gets a goalie for Laval in Pickard, could take out the young D swap too.  RNH's age could be an issue.

If the young D are included, Broberg has a higher ceiling and Xhekaj doesn't have a roster spot on Montreal with Broberg.  Xhekaj also brings a bit more sandpaper to Edmonton, something Kane and Desharnais has to provide now.  I will add I do like what Xhekaj does bring to the lineup and that will be hard to replace.

37 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

With the Dreger saying Oilers will likely acquire Montembeault.  How crazy would this trade be?

To Montreal:

RNH, Pickard, Xhekaj

To Edmonton:

Oilers aren't as high on Broberg as they were last year.  Oilers save ~$3m in cap space and get a cheaper replacement for RNH.  Montreal also gets a goalie for Laval in Pickard, could take out the young D swap too.  RNH's age could be an issue.

If the young D are included, Broberg has a higher ceiling and Xhekaj doesn't have a roster spot on Montreal with Broberg.  Xhekaj also brings a bit more sandpaper to Edmonton, something Kane and Desharnais has to provide now.  I will add I do like what Xhekaj does bring to the lineup and that will be hard to replace.

Edmonton would make that trade in a heartbeat (I assume you meant Broberg to Montreal and Xhekaj to Edmonton). Arber would be difficult to replace and Monahan will get a good package at the deadline by himself. Pickard does nothing for us, RNH is 30 and won't score nearly as much with the Habs and is also making 5.1M for the next 6 years and Broberg does have some potential but has struggled. Montreal can do far better than this for what they are giving up. Certainly an excellent trade for a desperate Oiler team. 

28 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Edmonton would make that trade in a heartbeat (I assume you meant Broberg to Montreal and Xhekaj to Edmonton). Arber would be difficult to replace and Monahan will get a good package at the deadline by himself. Pickard does nothing for us, RNH is 30 and won't score nearly as much with the Habs and is also making 5.1M for the next 6 years and Broberg does have some potential but has struggled. Montreal can do far better than this for what they are giving up. Certainly an excellent trade for a desperate Oiler team. 

You're probably right.  I wonder how much interest Edmonton may have in Savard, he should be back in a couple of weeks.  Would definitely help their defensive woes.

I would imagine anyone not named McDavid or Draisaitl is available.  With a heavy price tag on Hyman, he has been their one of their best players so far this season.

11 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

To Montreal:

RNH, Pickard, Xhekaj

To Edmonton:

10 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I would imagine anyone not named McDavid or Draisaitl is available.  With a heavy price tag on Hyman, he has been their one of their best players so far this season.

RNH, Hyman, Kane and Nurse all have FULL No Movement Clauses, as does McDavid ... Draisaitl only has a 10-team NTC; before anyone gets excited I'm betting the other 6 Canadian teams are on that list.

Ignoring the nigh-unto-impossible to trade Jack Campbell, the players without NTC/NMCs with AAVs over $1M are Ekholm ($6M), Bouchard ($3.9M), Ceci ($3.25M), Foegele ($2.75M) ans McLeod ($2.11M).

Almost ANY trade to significantly alter the Oilers fortunes will have to be AAV-in, AAV-out ... Holland, by his (and Chiarelli's) own doing, doesn't have much to offer.

19 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

RNH, Hyman, Kane and Nurse all have FULL No Movement Clauses, as does McDavid ... Draisaitl only has a 10-team NTC; before anyone gets excited I'm betting the other 6 Canadian teams are on that list.

Ignoring the nigh-unto-impossible to trade Jack Campbell, the players without NTC/NMCs with AAVs over $1M are Ekholm ($6M), Bouchard ($3.9M), Ceci ($3.25M), Foegele ($2.75M) ans McLeod ($2.11M).

Almost ANY trade to significantly alter the Oilers fortunes will have to be AAV-in, AAV-out ... Holland, by his (and Chiarelli's) own doing, doesn't have much to offer.

Any of the Oilers with no movement clauses I wouldn't be interested in anyway as we are rebuilding. 

Agree that any trade will have to be money in money out but Monty doesn't require much in the way of money out for the Oilers. 

Holloway is the one I would be interested in the most and /or picks. I think he has high upside.  Broberg would interest me if we weren't so deep in LD prospects.