Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Just now, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Perreault would be a great return

Agreed ... even if the Habs have to somewhat sweeten the deal to make it work.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed ... even if the Habs have to somewhat sweeten the deal to make it work.

I wonder if there would be any way we could get Perrault and a Kakko/Lafreniere for Monohan, Savard, and Harris.

If there isn’t interest in Savard. I wonder if we could still bump up the return is if we took a bad contract like Goodrow back? Or if we packaged Anderson with Monohan, if they’d pay the premium to have Anderson instead of Goodrow. I know Anderson makes more money, but I keep hearing that he is the kind of guy you want for the playoffs.

Rangers are built to go for it and their beat writers like Brooks have been saying they need more toughness for that playoffs to avoid more post-season failures.  I’m not as high on Kakko as Lafreniere, so who knows, maybe with can snag a young offensive player and an offensive prospect like Perrault if the Rangers are all in for this year??

Mr. Drury ... Mr. Hughes on Line 2.

And Flyers sure could use a goaltender, although I don't have any good ideas about how to make the cap work. Is there a contract on the Flyers that the Habs could (and would be willing to) take back? Neither Ersson or Petersen (at a $5M cap hit) seems to be the solution to their goaltending puzzle.

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And Flyers sure could use a goaltender, although I don't have any good ideas about how to make the cap work. Is there a contract on the Flyers that the Habs could (and would be willing to) take back? Neither Ersson or Petersen (at a $5M cap hit) seems to be the solution to their goaltending puzzle.

You could take back Carter Harts contract (RFA this summer), have a press conference, say you only are doing it for cap reasons and will not be giving him a qualifying offer in June.

He is allowed to extend his leave of absence til then and never has to join the team.

16 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

You could take back Carter Harts contract (RFA this summer), have a press conference, say you only are doing it for cap reasons and will not be giving him a qualifying offer in June.

He is allowed to extend his leave of absence til then and never has to join the team.

VERY interesting concept Commandant ... I'd be OK with it ... at first glance, about the only way I could see making Allen to Flyers work ... IF they are interested in Jake.

14 hours ago, Helmethead said:

How insanely awesome would it be if Hughes flipped Monahan and the Calgary 1st for Lafrenière?

We can dream…for now. Personally I doubt Lafrenière is going anywhere. My wild guess is that Kakko is a much more realistic target. 

41 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We can dream…for now. Personally I doubt Lafrenière is going anywhere. My wild guess is that Kakko is a much more realistic target. 

It would be the epitome of making something out of nothing though..

I dont know if either is what Habs need, but from stats kinda assume Kakko not prized by Rangers and the other still is.

Kakko 5g 6pts 28games in 5th yr

Lafreniere 12g 29pts 49games in 4th yr

Alexis Lafreniere L Rimouski Oceanic [QMJHL] 265 59 61 120

Kaapo Kakko       R TPS Turku [SM-liiga] 267 49 55 104

14 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Ersson's a goalie of the future (already extended) for them so they're going to give him a long look.  If they're still in the mix at the deadline, maybe they try to look for a low-cost upgrade on the backup spot but as a team that probably didn't want to be in the playoff picture this season, I don't think they're rushing to make that type of a lateral move.

3 hours ago, DON said:

I dont know if either is what Habs need, but from stats kinda assume Kakko not prized by Rangers and the other still is.

Kakko 5g 6pts 28games in 5th yr

Lafreniere 12g 29pts 49games in 4th yr

Alexis Lafreniere L Rimouski Oceanic [QMJHL] 265 59 61 120

Kaapo Kakko       R TPS Turku [SM-liiga] 267 49 55 104

Given that Kakko is in his 5th post draft year, and what his production is, I don’t think I’d want to move Monohan straight up for him. We should be able to do better than that. He’s getting close to bust territory.

On 1/22/2024 at 4:22 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't think anyone thinks he can be the next Weber (!!). Weber was one of the top 20 defencemen of his era. He's not going to be that. 

To my mind, the future for Wifi is one of the following:

1. Marginal NHLer/excellent AHLer

2. Bottom-pairing guy

3. Top-4 , Bieksa-type.

If I had to lay odds, I would say something like 50% #2, 35% #3, 15% #1. But who knows, I could be way off.

In a perfect world,  in 3 years from now, I think WiFi should be our #6-#7 who gets dressed for 30-35 games (barring injuries), the games that involve more physical teams and/or "goons".   

I definitely like what he brings to the table, but I don't believe it is required in 100% of the games.  I believe his presence makes the other players play a bit bigger and with more confidence when it comes to checking and after the whistle scrums.   It has an importance on the ice and in the locker room.  But not every night.

25 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

In a perfect world,  in 3 years from now, I think WiFi should be our #6-#7 who gets dressed for 30-35 games (barring injuries), the games that involve more physical teams and/or "goons".  

I think Hughes sees more potential in Xhekaj than that; otherwise he would have accepted a trade for a young top-6 forward that was apparently offered to the Habs.

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

I definitely like what he brings to the table, but I don't believe it is required in 100% of the games.  I believe his presence makes the other players play a bit bigger and with more confidence when it comes to checking and after the whistle scrums.   It has an importance on the ice and in the locker room.  But not every night.

If he can't win a full-time job on the blueline I could accept that ... I like/appreciate his toughness, but don't want him playing as a regular on defence just for his toughness. 

46 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think Hughes sees more potential in Xhekaj than that; otherwise he would have accepted a trade for a young top-6 forward that was apparently offered to the Habs.

That assumes that the offer was for a young forward who CURRENTLY has Top 6 potential and not a "youngster" who had "Top 6" potential when drafted but is now as more of a Top 6 "potential" reclamation project.

I like WiFi, but don't see a team offering a legit Top 6 prospect for him.

• Upvote 1

On 1/28/2024 at 7:30 PM, Commandant said:

This is assuming the Flyers want rid of Hart.  If they still view him as their guy, they might want to hold on to him in the small chance his personal leave doesn’t end the way we all think it will.

I doubt they make any move on him until his situation is finalized.  I also doubt any other team will touch him until then either.  Even if it’s for cap reasons.  If there’s any indication he will be charged, I’d imagine the suspension/termination process would move quickly to free up that cap space anyway.

What I don’t know is if there’s any additional cap penalties for termination or suspension in a case like this.

Habs already drafted Mailloux and they faced some serious backlash for this. 
I doubt they even consider taking on Hart or any player involved in this scandal, even if it's only for cap purpose. 

• Like 1

Monahan & Kovacevic (or Harris or Barron); for young skilled forward prospect?

Or could they find any takers for a Monahan & Savard package?

27 minutes ago, DON said:

Monahan & Kovacevic (or Harris or Barron); for young skilled forward prospect?

Or could they find any takers for a Monahan & Savard package?

They may, but I would imagine it would require retention on Savard which will last until the end of next season.  Not sure the appetite on that, unless it’s a good prospect. 

in a package I would imagine Monahan plus Kovacevic/Barron/Harris would be more attractive because of the cap hit.  Also, if a team needs a top-4 defensemen and a 2nd/3rd line center, how much of a contender are they really?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

in a package I would imagine Monahan plus Kovacevic/Barron/Harris would be more attractive because of the cap hit.  Also, if a team needs a top-4 defensemen and a 2nd/3rd line center, how much of a contender are they really?

Sometimes pretenders think they are contenders ...

Ain’t no way you package Savard and Mohanan unless someone blows your socks off. 

If the chips fall favorably you might be able to extract 2 firsts if you trade them separately.