GDT: Montreal @ Winnipeg, April 25, 7pm

Commandant

The single most important thing that happened in this game: Carey Price playing a solid game of hockey. Carey shutting down the Leafs on Saturday will have me feeling very good heading into the playoffs.

I can see the Caps and Sens beating Boston both times.

Not so sure about the Sens...Boston has owned them this year.

• Upvote 1

Does anybody know what day the Habs start the playoffs? I was watching RDS and I read what I thought said that they will open at home on Tuesday....but my french is not very good. I need to know to book off work asap.

Does anybody know what day the Habs start the playoffs? I was watching RDS and I read what I thought said that they will open at home on Tuesday....but my french is not very good. I need to know to book off work asap.

Correct Tuesday the 30th will be game 1 and May 2nd will be game 2.

The Bell Centre is booked on the 1st and 3rd-5th. Game 5 if needed will most likley be May 10th or 11th.

They got Karlsson back.

If Montreal beats Toronto and Ottawa wins their next two, we play Ottawa.

No, if Montreal beats Toronto, and Ottawa wins their next two.... that means Ottawa beat Boston (as long as its in regulation).... that means we finish 2nd

SO barring a major breakdown, we have home ice locked up, making the Toronto game mean nothing to us Saturday. Should we be resting our top guys and playing all of our AHL callups instead of our regular lineup?

I want the division.

Turd Burglar, on 25 Apr 2013 - 22:27, said:snapback.png

SO barring a major breakdown, we have home ice locked up, making the Toronto game mean nothing to us Saturday. Should we be resting our top guys and playing all of our AHL callups instead of our regular lineup?

I want the division.

Exactly. Taking it easy against the Leafs is crazy talk, for several reasons:

1) Pound the Leafs.

2) If we can beat Boston for the division title (i.e. if the Habs beat the Leafs and Boston loses one of its two remaining games outright) that means that we are guaranteed home ice advantage for at least two rounds, maybe all the way.

3) If we clinch the division (as discussed in point 2), we would definitely not face the Pens until the conference final. Making it that far is an open question for both teams, but it is much more likely if we don't have to face the Pens in the second round (which is possible if we finish in 4th).

4) Price needs another solid start under his belt.

5) Vets like Pleks, Gio and Ryder have been taking it pretty easy down the stretch (one of the main explanations for the slump fans have endured with over-emotional reactionism). Smart, considering their age and the intensity to come. But it would be a good idea for them to play hard to get back into gear leading into Tuesday night's playoff home opener.

6) It will be very good psychologically for the whole team to go into the playoffs winning.

7) Pound the Leafs.

Vets like Pleks, Gio and Ryder have been taking it pretty easy down the stretch (one of the main explanations for the slump fans have endured with over-emotional reactionism). Smart, considering their age and the intensity to come. But it would be a good idea for them to play hard to get back into gear leading into Tuesday night's playoff home opener.

How do you know they've been taking it easy? Maybe they're tired and running out of gas? I was thinking we should rest guys like Markov, Gorges, Gionta and Pleks...

Don't know if its a good idea to rest some of our best guys, but the game against the leafies saturday is meaningless. why risk injuring one of our key guys. Don't you think it would be better to make sure they are well rested for when the games really count?

I understand your first and last points, we should always try to pound the leafies in the dirt, but saturday's game truly is meaningless...

How do you know they've been taking it easy? Maybe they're tired and running out of gas? I was thinking we should rest guys like Markov, Gorges, Gionta and Pleks...

Don't know if its a good idea to rest some of our best guys, but the game against the leafies saturday is meaningless. why risk injuring one of our key guys. Don't you think it would be better to make sure they are well rested for when the games really count?

I understand your first and last points, we should always try to pound the leafies in the dirt, but saturday's game truly is meaningless...

How is home ice for the 1st two rounds meaningless?

Is the confidence that would be gained by a win over the Leafs meaningless?

Win in regulation vs. the Leafs and the division could still be ours. Boston would need 3 out of 4 points vs. Caps and Sens.

If Boston loses out (no points in either game), Montreal gets the division automatically since they have more ROW's. So technically the Habs could lose and still have a shot at the division. I fear that Washington, who has literally nothing to play for (they're locked in 3rd), will rest some players though so I expect the Bruins to handle them.

Correct Tuesday the 30th will be game 1 and May 2nd will be game 2.

The Bell Centre is booked on the 1st and 3rd-5th. Game 5 if needed will most likley be May 10th or 11th.

This is still not official according to Dave Stubbs but is highly likely. https://twitter.com/Dave_Stubbs/status/327804387370086400

I would not dress Markov, even if I want the division so bad.

Same here. I'd give him and Bouillon nights off and put Drewiske plus either Weber or Beaulieu (if they want to recall him early) in. It won't be the greatest defence corps on paper but both of those players have logged a lot more minutes than anyone hoped or expected and a night off would be huge for both of them.

I still think we should be resting our top guys. I do want the division too but we're playing Toronto. They know if they win they have us in the first round. They get the lead, they play punishing hockey. Attempting to injure and rough us up for the series against us, it's win/win for them. Why take the chance of our top guys getting hurt for a chance, and not a great one, to get the division. It would be different if it was win and it's ours, but it's not. Boston has a good chance to get the division whether we win against Toronto or not.

I'm just saying it would be foolish to risk our important guys against a team that will have the mentality of hurting us as it will probably directly help them. All for a slim chance to improve our position. I would be really surprised if Carlyle doesn't dress more goons for this game just in case.

I'm just saying it would be foolish to risk our important guys against a team that will have the mentality of hurting us as it will probably directly help them. All for a slim chance to improve our position. I would be really surprised if Carlyle doesn't dress more goons for this game just in case.

What will help there is that the Marlies are in the playoffs so they can't call up tough guys (or anyone else) for this game, they're still subject to the post-deadline recall rules.

I am surprised by the short-sighted thinking on this issue. Think Cup, and use logic, not "stay safe for one night", crikey!

If the Leafs can injure our best players at will, what is to stop them from doing so in games one and two of a series? What is the difference?

The possibility of winning the division is real, it means home ice for at least two series and possibly all the way to the finals, and most importantly, it means definitely not facing the Pens in Round 2. I'll take that chance over the risk of Leaf's goons actually accomplishing something on Sat that they could anyway (if your logic holds) in Game 1 if we play them.

These vets are consumate pros. They know when to pull back a little and when to push it to the limit. Watch them. They are taking it easy, and can still turn it on in specific moments.

I'll bet Pleks and Ryder lead the team in playoff point production, after Subban :)

How to play the Maple Leafs:

- Ignore their fighting advances

- Play physical for the puck, not for the purpose of being physical

- Dominate with speed and skill

- Shut down their best offensive players

- Go high glove on Reimer and create situations for rebounds

- FEAR KADRI, KESSEL AND LUPUL NOT ORR, FRASER AND MCLAREN

- Respect their penalty kill and first period scoring

- Recognize that by statistics, Montreal plays a strong third and Toronto plays a weak third. Survive the second period and every game there's a chance to take the lead.

That's my analysis. Let Carlyle play his giants with slow foot speed and limited skill. Remember when Price told Subban not to lose his cool? That's what we need to do. Also, never let the fourth line play Komorov because he has the ability to burn you.

I am surprised by the short-sighted thinking on this issue. Think Cup, and use logic, not "stay safe for one night", crikey!

If the Leafs can injure our best players at will, what is to stop them from doing so in games one and two of a series? What is the difference?

The possibility of winning the division is real, it means home ice for at least two series and possibly all the way to the finals, and most importantly, it means definitely not facing the Pens in Round 2. I'll take that chance over the risk of Leaf's goons actually accomplishing something on Sat that they could anyway (if your logic holds) in Game 1 if we play them.

Agreed. You might as well set the tone Saturday night. The only way to defer the inevitable is to win. Go right at them!

How to play the Maple Leafs:

- Ignore their fighting advances

- Play physical for the puck, not for the purpose of being physical

- Dominate with speed and skill

- Shut down their best offensive players

- Go high glove on Reimer and create situations for rebounds

- FEAR KADRI, KESSEL AND LUPUL NOT ORR, FRASER AND MCLAREN

- Respect their penalty kill and first period scoring

- Recognize that by statistics, Montreal plays a strong third and Toronto plays a weak third. Survive the second period and every game there's a chance to take the lead.

That's my analysis. Let Carlyle play his giants with slow foot speed and limited skill. Remember when Price told Subban not to lose his cool? That's what we need to do. Also, never let the fourth line play Komorov because he has the ability to burn you.

100% agree. I don't want Prust getting involved unnecessarily in a fight and having the game take that direction. That hurts us in the long run.

I agree with you that we should be going for the win and trying to win the division. However, I don't agree with you that the leafs could try and hurt players intentially in game 1, just as easily as tomorrow. Tomorrow, if they get penalized and lose, they won't care. THey can't take that kind of chance in game 1 or 2, unless the game is out of reach.

BlueKross is 100% right.

My reasons for not wanting to play the Leafs are personal. If they win, I won't hear the end of it. If they lose, I won't hear the end of them whining about it.

Say that "whining" part again.. sounds so lovely... sigh...

I don't want to call the movers.

As I look at the stats from last night, a few things caught my eye:

- Tinordi had 7 hits (the rest of the team had 9 combined)

- Gorges played more on the PP than PK (I know that's a loaded stat as there were more powerplays than kills but that has to be a rare occurrence for him nonetheless)

- Pacioretty attempted a whopping 11 shots on net (3 hit, 4 missed, 4 blocked)

- The Habs' (and Desharnais') success continued at the faceoff dot. Desharnais is now over 50% on the year (3/4 regular centres are now above 50% which is nice).

- Of the six d-men, Markov and Subban played by far the least shorthanded (3 seconds apiece)

Just a reminder, Commandant, as per forum tradition, tomorrow's GDT is yours since this one was a winner.