When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

You remember cunneyworth right?

Do you think they'd give him the same reception? If I'm not mistaken, in the beginning Cunneyworth made the faux pas of not speaking any French in his opening press conference and things snowballed. I don't remember the "baying dogs" of the French media (as CC calls them) being against him for being an Anglophone from the get go.

Do you think they'd give him the same reception? If I'm not mistaken, in the beginning Cunneyworth made the faux pas of not speaking any French in his opening press conference and things snowballed. I don't remember the "baying dogs" of the French media (as CC calls them) being against him for being an Anglophone from the get go.

actually his big mistake was taking the job, first the GM and then the owner tossed him right under the bus.

• Upvote 1

Yes I think he'd get the same reception.

I also think the "faux pas" is being overrated here... the French media was just looking for an excuse. They would have found one, whether it was at the first presser, or the 2nd, or the 3rd or whatever.

Now the great French media is blaming the Colorado loss to their being no francophones in the lineup.

Yes I think he'd get the same reception.

I also think the "faux pas" is being overrated here... the French media was just looking for an excuse. They would have found one, whether it was at the first presser, or the 2nd, or the 3rd or whatever.

Now the great French media is blaming the Colorado loss to their being no francophones in the lineup.

:rofl:

One thing is as predictable as slush in a Montreal winter: when the team truly stinks, certain segments of the francophone media will decry the lack of 'pride' and argue that the team needs more Québécois players, because those guys will have 'pride.' You know, guys like Ribeiro, Latendresse, and Pierre Dagenais, blood and guts players who gave everything they had on every single shift because they burned so ferociously with dedication and pride in the CH.

• Upvote 1

:rofl:

One thing is as predictable as slush in a Montreal winter: when the team truly stinks, certain segments of the francophone media will decry the lack of 'pride' and argue that the team needs more Québécois players, because those guys will have 'pride.' You know, guys like Ribeiro, Latendresse, and Pierre Dagenais, blood and guts players who gave everything they had on every single shift because they burned so ferociously with dedication and pride in the CH.

Don't forget Lecavalier who avoided montreal like the plague.

Careful for posting that link here. It may be dismissed as idiotic drivel.

Don't forget Lecavalier who avoided montreal like the plague.

Thank god he did! Good thing he chose philly!

It is drivel when you say an nhl coach who has been as successful and won as many games as therrien doesnt know anything about hockey and should work as a bouncer instead.

Thats garbage. The guy deserves at least a little credit.

It is drivel when you say an nhl coach who has been as successful and won as many games as therrien doesnt know anything about hockey and should work as a bouncer instead.

Thats garbage. The guy deserves at least a little credit.

I wouldn't be as strident about it, but I agree with the gist of your case here. MT is a solid professional coach. No more and no less than that. It's time he left, agreed. But he will be replaced by another solid professional coach, who will, over time, become demonized by exactly the same people who demonized Therrien and who demonized Jacques Martin before him (and probably Julien, and probably Vigneault, and probably Demers, and probably Burns, etc.).

Perhaps the haters are onto something, however, and maybe it's this: modern NHL coaching is extraordinarily risk-averse. Coach after coach tends to favour defence over offense, veterans over riskier young players, and '200-foot players' over gifted but more one-dimensional dazzlers.

Look at the crap that PK Subban has had to eat, not just from Therrien, but from Babcock, and Martin, and probably every other pro-level coach he's been subjected to. They don't look at him and see an incredible talent to be unleashed; they see a 'risky' player who needs to have the flair beaten out of him. In today's setting, Bobby Orr would never have been permitted to become what he became, Mike Bossy would struggle to make the roster because of his one-dimensionality, and Wayne Gretzky would be under a cloud because of his lack of 200-foot game. Everyone has to be a robot.

It's not just Therrien, though. It's a constipated, suffocating culture in modern coaching.

Look at the crap that PK Subban has had to eat, not just from Therrien, but from Babcock, and Martin, and probably every other pro-level coach he's been subjected to. They don't look at him and see an incredible talent to be unleashed; they see a 'risky' player who needs to have the flair beaten out of him. In today's setting, Bobby Orr would never have been permitted to become what he became, Mike Bossy would struggle to make the roster because of his one-dimensionality, and Wayne Gretzky would be under a cloud because of his lack of 200-foot game. Everyone has to be a robot.

Yet somehow now we have an Erik Karlsson, a Patrick Kane, an Ovechkin?

Demanding attention to a complete game is not a failure of modern coaching, it is in fact good coaching.

• Upvote 1

who cares if the new coach speaks French and if you do go learn English we need the cup not another Frenchman. We need a new coach the best one out there and not the best French coach. To the dude that said we need more French players because they are from here and will play with more heart GO f@#K YOUR SELF you should watch more than one game

Edited by kickass528

Yet somehow now we have an Erik Karlsson, a Patrick Kane, an Ovechkin?

Demanding attention to a complete game is not a failure of modern coaching, it is in fact good coaching.

Karlsson?? He is the exception - an offensively gifted player whose relative one-dimensionality has been excused by his coaching staff, to their credit IMHO. They are allowing their best player to play his game.

Coaches went to war with Ovechkin in much the same way that Therrien and Martin have had their tiffs with Subban. Trotz has finally won the war.

Now, the point here is that Therrien acts like 99% of other coaches. If you like that kind of coaching, then great - don't complain about Therrien stifling our offence, damping down Subban, thinking defence first, etc.. This what I keep saying. Therrien has done nothing that is not standard practice in modern NHL coaching. His replacement, whoever his is, will probably do many of the same things.

Coaches don't have the most secure jobs in the NHL unless they're winning. I wonder if they get tunnel vision on winning to save their jobs and creativity, risk, and sometimes player development (in that veterans get more important minutes) tend to take a back seat. At the beginning of the season Therien was getting the best out of these players. It seemed like the young guys were getting plenty of opportunities and there seemed to be more creativity from the team. The players were getting a little more leash IMO. Now, not so much.

Any monkey can coach a team when you have the worlds best goalie. The team was built around Price the "D" can go in deep they don't have to worry about the goalie they know he's got there back, you can now score more goals. No Price you need a new system MT does not have one, Gallagher can only do so much and throwing your best player under a bus is not a good one (I am not a big PK fan but that is not how you treat one of your best players) MT is a ass for doing that

Edited by kickass528

For myself I loved Burns hated it when he left, loved Demers he got us a cup should not have been fired, Corey was a dumbass, Martin was not a very likeable guy and very similar to Le Genius in his coach style. Mike (le Genius) Therrien I hated the 1st time around and was astounded they hired him back after his debacle in Pits. Offence dropped every year he was there. Crosby cannot be formed into something he is not. Neither can PK. PK is really a team guy, he takes the shit that Le Genius hands out and keeps on working. Le Genius did not make him a Norris trophy winner, his talent did. I think Hal Gill was a big influence on PK and should be an assistant in charge of defence, but he hates Le Genius about as much as I do. The only thing Le Genius can make is an empty Scotch bottle. Hey but that is just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

I hated both reigns of MT (hopefully we've seen the last of him - will probably spend the rest Of his career as a blow hard on RDS), and Martin. Liked vigneult and he is the only French speaking coach I'd want. Hoping the flames dont fire Hartley, because we would probably sign him. Loved burns, other than losing Claude Lemieux for Sylvie. Demers would have been great with turgeon, damphouse and Koivu. Don't get me started on Corey and trembley. Neither should be allowed in the bell centre and have their names struck from the cup for what they did to this franchise.

For myself I loved Burns hated it when he left, loved Demers he got us a cup should not have been fired, Corey was a dumbass, Martin was not a very likeable guy and very similar to Le Genius in his coach style. Mike (le Genius) Therrien I hated the 1st time around and was astounded they hired him back after his debacle in Pits. Offence dropped every year he was there. Crosby cannot be formed into something he is not. Neither can PK. PK is really a team guy, he takes the shit that Le Genius hands out and keeps on working. Le Genius did not make him a Norris trophy winner, his talent did. I think Hal Gill was a big influence on PK and should be an assistant in charge of defence, but he hates Le Genius about as much as I do. The only thing Le Genius can make is an empty Scotch bottle. Hey but that is just my opinion.

I don't have a clue. Literally. I never include NHL coaching stints on my resume. Or hiring or firing them. That said, Therrien was hired to coach a "from the goalie out" team and for my money has done a pretty good job of it. I think strategy was handed to him with the team and flew out the window with Carey's knee. Huge psychological blow. Could another coach have handled it better? Maybe. I have no idea. Minus Carey we were very vulnerable. Do I hold Therrien or MB responsible? No. I suspect they've been doing a pretty good job with what they have to work with.

Nobody from the Habs organization has been soliciting my advise by the way.. (full disclosure).

I hated both reigns of MT (hopefully we've seen the last of him - will probably spend the rest Of his career as a blow hard on RDS), and Martin. Liked vigneult and he is the only French speaking coach I'd want. Hoping the flames dont fire Hartley, because we would probably sign him. Loved burns, other than losing Claude Lemieux for Sylvie. Demers would have been great with turgeon, damphouse and Koivu. Don't get me started on Corey and trembley. Neither should be allowed in the bell centre and have their names struck from the cup for what they did to this franchise.

Going down memory lane:

I liked Burns, but thought that when he got fired, it was time to turn the page; his relentless emphasis on defensive systems was wearing everyone out.

I wasn't crazy about Demers, who I thought of as a bit of a doofus, but he was just what the doctor ordered after all those years of hard-ass Burns, and he earned my undying respect the moment he went for the call on the McSorley stick, and THEN pulled Patrick Roy, in Game Two of the 1993 Finals. Ballsy coaching that made a real contribution to winning us a Cup. He will forever be A-OK in my book.

Vigneault was obviously a good coach from the get-go, IMHO. I could not believe that he went something like eight years between NHL jobs. He got everything possible from a wretched lineup.

Therrien was a drooling ape whose dribbling, knuckle-dragging incompetence contributed to losing against Carolina in 2002. I could not believe he got re-hired before Vigneault, and was prone in disbelief when we re-hired him. However, I do feel that he learned from his earlier failures and has performed tolerably well for us. His time is up, however.

Carbo's teams had no structure, and his coaching seemed to consist mostly in hoping that Kovalev had a good night, or season. Most over-rated Habs coach of my lifetime.

Gainey did a good job in his short stints coaching us, I felt.

Julien was another good coach stuck with an atrocious lineup. Like Vigneault, he got as much as anyone could have from the turds he was forced to work with. He was criticized for not developing young players. In retrospect, those young players were mostly crap, so the accusation may have been overstated.

Jacques Martin was a good coach as well. He lost his job as a result of a crippling injury to Markov, which destroyed our power-play and created cascading effects throughout the lineup in 2011-12.

Apart from Therrien on his first stint, and Carbo, I don't think coaching has really been a problem for our organization.

MT will get fired before Benoit Groulx gets hired...

I'd be okay with him getting fired after Groulx gets hired somewhere else. Groulx is Therrien version 2.0. He's a 'my way or the highway' coach, drove the only pro team he coached to the point of near mutiny late in one season, and is particularly hard on star players. He also is known as a lousy communicator.

If you want something different than Therrien, Groulx is about the last coach you want to bring in.