Diaz traded to Vancouver for Weise

brobin

C'mon guys, this is a "trade your problem for my problem trade." Neither of these guys are game breakers. I keep hearing that Weise is a waiver wire pickup, and Diaz is a suicide-passing wimp who is a liability. Neither of these are exactly true. Weise was let go on waivers three years ago, and Diaz was a serviceable third pairing guy who could plug on the second pairing/power play. Neither are particularly effective in their roles, and with a trade like this, the hope is that they can improve in a change of scenery.

C'mon guys, this is a "trade your problem for my problem trade." Neither of these guys are game breakers. I keep hearing that Weise is a waiver wire pickup, and Diaz is a suicide-passing wimp who is a liability. Neither of these are exactly true. Weise was let go on waivers three years ago, and Diaz was a serviceable third pairing guy who could plug on the second pairing/power play. Neither are particularly effective in their roles, and with a trade like this, the hope is that they can improve in a change of scenery.

I don't disagree with you. My reference to the waiver wire is that is what is being said in Vancouver, he had a disagreement with Torts and was on his way to wire if they didn't trade him. Maybe we made the trade cause he would have been claimed on waivers by soneone else?

Weise and Torts had a falling out long ago in NY, no secret they didn't like each other. I won't miss Diaz, and we will all get to see Weise tonight, maybe he will be a pleasant surprise. Right handed right winger with size and speed.... hmmmm, still say we needed that more than Diaz, maybe not more than a #4 D, but more than we needed Diaz.....

Got to say I like trade, hope Diaz can help Canuck PP and Weise adds some energy, speed and good forecheck to 4th line.

And the 2 Manitoba boys played well togeather in Weises' first game.

He's already scored a PP goal for a struggling Canucks PP in his first game.

I think it's unlikely that Diaz will start ripping it up. If, however, he does emerge as a sort of mini-Streit, then this trade will stink - and this "he didn't produce with us" stuff won't disguise the fact that we wasted yet another asset. As of now, however, it's way premature to panic. I don't doubt, though, that the Canucks got the player with the higher potential ceiling.

Diaz played 25:26 for knuckleheads with 4 shots on net (and couple others blocked).

So, you are supposed to put a player in the lineup, that you don't think can help you win and possibly sacrifice a game or two, just to ensure you get a 2nd round pick instead of a 3rd?

And comments are from same people who totally freaked out when Subban missed 4 or 5 shifts, claiming it cost that game, when need to do all u can to win every game?

Seems an odd stance.

Frickin morons Bergevin-Dudley-LaCarriere-Lapointe-Mellanby, what the f... do they know about hockey and asset management, can you trade a whole Mgmt group?

I am sure Milbury-McGuire-Lawton-Fergeson jr. and others are available to replace these idiots!

Come on Molson, pull the trigger!

I think it's unlikely that Diaz will start ripping it up. If, however, he does emerge as a sort of mini-Streit, then this trade will stink - and this "he didn't produce with us" stuff won't disguise the fact that we wasted yet another asset. As of now, however, it's way premature to panic. I don't doubt, though, that the Canucks got the player with the higher potential ceiling.

Tell me again how asset management works. If player 61 is stinking up the joint and doesn't produce with his team, but then goes on to produce with a different team, how is that another wasted asset? He got back a serviceable player in a deal rather than let 61 walk as a UFA. Would you want to resign 61 at an increase in salary for more years? You think that MB could have got better? The fact is that Diaz wasn't in the long term plans of this team, and justifiably so.

• Upvote 1

All I'm saying is that IF Diaz becomes a valuable player for Vancouver - say, a #4-5 defenceman and a legitimate, reliable PP threat - then he is another wasted asset to add to the endless list of Habs' wasted assets. An organization's job is to maximize the potential of its players, and - again - IF Diaz does succeed, then the Habs failed to do that. No amount of retroactive excuse-making will change that. I'm not saying this is guaranteed to happen; just that if does happen, excuses should not be made for management.

This is probably an obvious statement, but a few posts on this thread seem to be taking the line that 'he [supposedly] sucked with us, so it's OK to throw him away for a bag of pucks.' And that overlooks the point that it's management's JOB to maximize players' potential, and that, when they fail to do that, they've failed to do their job properly.

• Upvote 1

All I'm saying is that IF Diaz becomes a valuable player for Vancouver - say, a #4-5 defenceman and a legitimate, reliable PP threat - then he is another wasted asset to add to the endless list of Habs' wasted assets. An organization's job is to maximize the potential of its players, and - again - IF Diaz does succeed, then the Habs failed to do that. No amount of retroactive excuse-making will change that. I'm not saying this is guaranteed to happen; just that if does happen, excuses should not be made for management.

This is probably an obvious statement, but a few posts on this thread seem to be taking the line that 'he [supposedly] sucked with us, so it's OK to throw him away for a bag of pucks.' And that overlooks the point that it's management's JOB to maximize players' potential, and that, when they fail to do that, they've failed to do their job properly.

You can't compare what a player does on one team vs what he does on a different team. Whatever 61 does from this point on in his career isn't relevant because the decision was made by the team that they did not want to move forward with him. He may get top PP minutes from a different team and put up bigger numbers, so what. It's not reflective of how he fits in with our team. To say that management has either succeeded or failed based on what 61 does from here on out is a crock. You can't give every player top line minutes. At the end of the day it is up to the player themselves to succeed or fail. Cream always rises to the top.

It's easy to look at the Habs "wasted assets" because we follow them religiously. I'm sure you would be quite surprised to go through every other team and compare some of their wasted assets as well. Management makes the best decision they can at the time with all the information they have. It's quite annoying when people throw out trades that should have been made, as if it was as easy to snap your fingers. Oh we could have got so much more! You don't think that they tried??

OK what if Wiese turns into a bigger Pleks? Or the cow jumped over the moon. When management make decisions they make it today with the facts of today. Based on the "what if theory" you would never make a trade. We could get Sid the Kid but wait what if he gets hurt? Hindsight is 20/20 and you can never be wrong.

OK what if Wiese turns into a bigger Pleks? Or the cow jumped over the moon. When management make decisions they make it today with the facts of today. Based on the "what if theory" you would never make a trade. We could get Sid the Kid but wait what if he gets hurt? Hindsight is 20/20 and you can never be wrong.

Then Bergevin needs to trade for that cow immediately. No player in the league has that kind of lower body strength...

• Upvote 2

Yes, you make a trade based on your assessment of a player.

And if that assessment turns out to be wrong, you made a bad trade.

All I'm saying.

Yes, you make a trade based on your assessment of a player.

And if that assessment turns out to be wrong, you made a bad trade.

All I'm saying.

Exactly. This assessment is that Beaulieu will be better and cheaper than Diaz. The money will go to Subban. Good trade.

I admit that's too early to tell, but from what I've seen (last night) and what I've read about Weise, I kinda like the trade.

Let's get one thing straight. Diaz was gonna be a UFA next year, which means we wouldn't have gotten much for him.

True that Weise won't score 20 goals a season for us, but he brings something that we desperately need. Size and speed up front. Playing with Bournival and White, this makes for a good 4th line. A crash and bang line!

Now if we could only get rid of Brière and Bourque, I'd say we're heading in the right direction. NO need to resign Bouillon and Gionta next year and BANG. Our overall height will increase by 5 inches!!! ;)

• Upvote 1