Oct. 8, Montreal vs Toronto, 7 PM

dlbalr

what a crazy ending to the Game. I was sure our boys would lose this game...we never win the season opener against Toronto!!!

Great game by the boys and huge save by Carey on Kessel in the dying seconds of the game!

The third pairing really didn't play much. Weaver 13:20, Beaulieu 10:25. That may come into play for tomorrow night. On the flip side, the forward ice time was really well balanced, between 18:17 (Pacioretty) and 12:13 (Sekac).

That said, it doesn't matter, it's a win to start the year. :1banana:

what a crazy ending to the Game. I was sure our boys would lose this game...we never win the season opener against Toronto!!!

Great game by the boys and huge save by Carey on Kessel in the dying seconds of the game!

Ya Babeeee!

As the opener shock wore off, I kinda like what I was seeing out there.

God, or Great Pumpkin, depending on your preferences, that was great. To give TO hope with a fluke goal only to take back the win seconds later...I could not have scripted it better... :rofl:

Great: Price

Very Good: Subban, Markov, Plekanec

Good: Pacioretty, Desharnais, Parenteau, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Malhotra

Even: Sekac, Beaulieu, Bourque, Weise, Prust, Weaver

Needs to be better: Emelin, Gilbert, Eller

Eller was reaching into "bad" territory but he still helped make some things happen offensively. Defensively the Leafs ripped him apart, which has been common for Eller. Particularly the fact he isn't very good on the road. I didn't notice Weise much. Prust made some good plays. Malhotra did his job exactly how we were hoping. Beaulieu was better offensively than defensively but nothing to nitpick. Didn't see much of him or Weaver really. Galchenyuk and Gallagher looked good with Plekanec, who played his ass off as one of our alternate captains. Liked what I saw from Patches and DD, particularly Patches on the penalty kill. Markov had a tough night covering Kessel but did a great job of it. The shots Kessel took were stuff that only the best players in the league could create. Subban looked like Subban. Price was the best player on the Habs, even when letting in three goals. Parenteau has excellent vision. He was able to find Habs in the right places quite a few times.

It's only the first game but maybe the "Galchenyuk and Gallagher can't play with Plekanec" rhetoric can die down.

I was one of the many who said that. Still think Chucky should be at center.......but pleks made me eat my words tonight...Then again they dont call him Mr October for nothing.

The third pairing really didn't play much. Weaver 13:20, Beaulieu 10:25. That may come into play for tomorrow night. On the flip side, the forward ice time was really well balanced, between 18:17 (Pacioretty) and 12:13 (Sekac).

That said, it doesn't matter, it's a win to start the year. :1banana:

Thats right, and habs rarely play well against t.o. the games are usually poorly executed on both sides. Take the two points in regulation time for sure. Leafs get the zero.

I am happy with the win. Overall the team played well, and I echo most of MoLG's ratings.

With Malhotra on board, I believe it gave Plekanec more chances to focus on the offense, and less responsibility defensively. I think his this balance in his ice time will really help him have a good season offensively.

Then again they dont call him Mr October for nothing.

Nobody calls him that?

His best month last year was October, I'll give you that. March was his best month in the lockout shortened year of 12-13. In 11-12 it was November. In 10-11 he was pretty much averaging 8 points every month. In 09-10 he had an 18 point December. In 08-09 his best month was February.

I have no idea how you confused him for Brian Savage.

• Upvote 1

Very Proud of our Habs. I will sleep well tonight.

Agree with much of the praise and evaluation by all, lots of promising signs from that third line. Really hope they kick it into the next gear; we need three rolling lines with pressure to compete in this new league where many teams have three or four lines packed with danger on every shift.

D-pairs look good too; given this was their first real test with a match up that demands your best.

I saw the potential of that third line to contribute positively on a regular basis.

Bank the points and enjoyed a good Laugher, at the expense of those maple laughs! Bring on the next game!

GO HABS GO! :clap::halm::1banana::wub::habslogo:

Guest Stogey24

Markov looked excellent last! Other than DD's nice set up to Subban, he was caught multiple times flat footed. First game though, can't say too many bad things about the boys.

Pacioretty scoring that goal on his first shot is huge for his confidence. Hopefully he holds pace, 82 goals doesn't seem too bad ;)

Living so close to Toronto, all I heard on the news yesterday was how the celebrations were going to be great in Toronto for the start of the NHL season tonight. The Tragically Hip were even doing a free concert in Toronto (I love the Hip, despite their Leaf fandom, but I can't condone a Leafs celebration!) Half the downtown area was closed to traffic. Fans were there from everywhere.

And all I could think was, "I really hope my Habs spoil this celebration."

Thanks for not letting me down, boys.

• Upvote 1

I dunno about the rest of the Hip, but Gord Downie is a Bruins fan, not Leafs fans. (I still amusedly recall seeing them in the Forum and Downie bellowing: "WHADDA DUMP!!")

First, the telecast. PVRd this last night and watched it late. Ugh. Surprisingly for a guy who dislikes George Snuffalupagus, I happily grant the first-period round-table with Crosby, Towes, and Lundqvist was pretty great. I like Jim Hughson a lot, but his asinine efforts at French pronunciations really started to grate on me after a while ("DavEED DayhaRRRRRnais!"). The rest of the cast are basically clowns. They even had a number of technical glitches. The new cams are just stupid, expensive and pointless novelties. For this, I'm losing RDS and 42 games I used to get? :wall:

As for the stuff that actually matters, it was a terrific hockey game defined by speed and skill rather than goonery for once. It was interesting to see the difference made by the Leafs' highly aggressive defence (not that it was enough to beat us). The Leafs seem to have finally caught up to the 'new NHL' logic, by which I mean the logic of the past 10 years. What struck me about the Habs was their collective confidence. They seem to be picking up where they left off last spring, looking like a team that expects to win and believes that it knows what it takes. Price is the foundation of it all, an absolute wall who radiates calm and projects it outward to all his teammates. I don't think we can overstate his importance - he is THE leader. But I definitely get the impression of a tight, increasingly experienced squad that believes it can contend and intends to do so.

Machine pretty much captures the game with his player evaluations above. I seem to have a better opinion of Gilbert's game than many around here, IF you overlook the four-minute penalty (presumably a fluke play, his stick slipped) - he struck me as a poor man's Hamhuis, albeit softer than Hamhuis, in being able to eat a lot of minutes without drawing too much attention to himself. I was, however, surprised to find myself kinda missing Josh Gorges. Nothing specific, just being so used to seeing him out there that his absence felt weird.

Weaver-Beaulieu didn't play much, but both looked good in their sheltered minutes; maybe MT can give them a bit more next time. Both Emelin and Markov looked really excellent. PK seemed grouchy - not sure what stuck in his craw. Pleks was Pleks, and the haters can go blow. ;) The Gal(l(ys started quite poorly but rounded into form as the game went on, Eller was out of it as usual. Really wish we had traded Plekanec to give his role to Lars...

I've got a good feeling about this bunch. They're tight, they know and believe in each other, and they believe they can reach another level. A young team knocking on the door. It's a long season, but it's off to a nice start. :thumbs_up:

Well, Canucks broadcast with Dave Randorf was so bad it was humerous (even worse than with John Garrett), but Habs game was very annoyingly painful with rambling goofball Healy, Hughson, Idiot Maclean et al.

I want my RDS back! :flaming:

Guest Stogey24

Well, Canucks broadcast with Dave Randorf was so bad it was humerous (even worse than with John Garrett), but Habs game was very annoyingly painful with rambling goofball Healy, Hughson, Idiot Maclean et al.

I want my RDS back! :flaming:

Healy absolutely loves Carey though. Other than that they're a bunch of Homers.