2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Yeah! Figure skates on hockey players :lol: But, at least there was a healthy sense of fun in all that nonsense.

So far, the Vegas franchise looks to be right in line with the NHL's general policy of utter joylessness about everything. Drab, grim-looking logo: check. Ridiculously boring team name: check. Drab colours (apparently): check.

It SHOULD obviously be a team name evoking gambling (the High Rollers, the Black Jacks, whatever) but that would violate the NHL's version of "PC" dontch'a know. What a bunch of poltroons.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah! Figure skates on hockey players :lol: But, at least there was a healthy sense of fun in all that nonsense.

So far, the Vegas franchise looks to be right in line with the NHL's general policy of utter joylessness about everything. Drab, grim-looking logo: check. Ridiculously boring team name: check. Drab colours (apparently): check.

It SHOULD obviously be a team name evoking gambling (the High Rollers, the Black Jacks, whatever) but that would violate the NHL's version of "PC" dontch'a know. What a bunch of poltroons.

The Vegas Bet Men

Agreed CC. Maybe the Aces or something for the LAS Vegas team, sheesh....

I absolutely hate the way Bettman is trying to assume the control the NFL heads have...although it seems the NFL needs to control the "fun" it's idiot players want to have, yet the NFL can't even get those ingrates to stand during the national anthem.

I wonder if Kapernick's grand daddy served in WWII? I doubt it... he'd F'n well stand up if he had, punk.

40 minutes ago, KoRP said:

Agreed CC. Maybe the Aces or something for the LAS Vegas team, sheesh....

I absolutely hate the way Bettman is trying to assume the control the NFL heads have...although it seems the NFL needs to control the "fun" it's idiot players want to have, yet the NFL can't even get those ingrates to stand during the national anthem.

I wonder if Kapernick's grand daddy served in WWII? I doubt it... he'd F'n well stand up if he had, punk.

charlotte-charlotteirene8-white-people-b

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If Kapernick actually voted, might of been a bit more credible, but supposedly opted out on that as well. But, got obsoletely no problem with his anthem protest. 

I do. I watch sports as an escape from politics and day to day problems. Same with movies and music. I say they need to Piss off with the  politics. I pay you to entertain me. Not depress me with political views.

• Upvote 1

Well said, CC.  The Golden Knights is a terrible name for a team in Vegas.  They should have positioned themselves as villains like the Raiders used to do, or the Flyers in the NHL.

Can't believe the NHL is getting one more nothing franchise in a market where hockey is a blip on the radar, and that some fool ponied up a half billion for it.  As much as I like seeing Peladeau and the buffoons on TVA get screwed over, we should have the Nordiques again and one more GTA team, and play in a 24-28 team league.

Honestly I'd rather teams like Vegas to exist at this point over the Senators. Give me owners and a team that doesn't count attendance every day and places internal caps when they are supposed to be competing. Same goes for Anaheim and Arizona. Vegas will make its money without a single seat filled and Foley is going to spend when they get good. Give me more cities and owners like that. Even Winnipeg I can do without. 

Honestly I'd prefer there be three teams in Toronto over Winnipeg, Ottawa, and Quebec. 

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

WTF are you going on about?

Who mentioned race?

It's because I'm white isn't it?

I suppose I should apologize...

15 hours ago, KoRP said:

WTF are you going on about?

Who mentioned race?

It's because I'm white isn't it?

I suppose I should apologize...

The point was that the guy was doing a PEACEFUL protest on an issue he clearly cares about. 

One of the tenants of our democracy is the ability to protest, and as long as its done peacefully, i have no issue with him standing up (or in this case kneeling down) for his beliefs. 

3 hours ago, JMMR said:

Back to the 2016-17 season.

How about those Rangers, just scoring at will. 

They got smacked around by the Pens, so holds them off our heels a bit. I suspect by the time the Habs come back from California, they won't be 1st in the East, let alone the league.

On 10/25/2016 at 11:39 PM, Commandant said:

Again with the old quote stuff^^

Anyway, Gerard Gallant fired by the Florida Panthers?! Seems to me like he is a victim of his own success. I hate when coaches come in and overachieve and then get blamed for the demise of what upper management thinks should happen moving forward. Florida is a young team and has had 2 of their best forwards out with injury this season but yet they are still in the playoff mix.....it really grinds my gears. Turk is a better than this (Islander sticking up for an Islander)

Firing him is really dumb but Friedman hinted that Gallant has been butting heads with front office on the direction of the team for a while now. This is less a performance fire (close to a playoff spot missing two top stars) and more an assertion of power. They also left him and the assistant coach who got fired to catch their own cab.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Firing him is really dumb but Friedman hinted that Gallant has been butting heads with front office on the direction of the team for a while now. This is less a performance fire (close to a playoff spot missing two top stars) and more an assertion of power. They also left him and the assistant coach who got fired to catch their own cab.

Total bush league move by FLA. It will be interesting to see how the players react.

Do we have room in the coaching ranks for GG?

7 hours ago, zumpano21 said:

Do we have room in the coaching ranks for GG?

Not unless its a replacement for Therrien and I don't see Therrien losing him job anytime soon. Gallant is a head coach in this league and should accept nothing else but a head coaching gig. He has had success in Florida so I see him getting picked up pretty quick. People are suggesting he is the fit for Vegas but if I were him I would wait it out. Going to an expansion club doesn't seem like a long term fit since success will be hard to come by and the Vegas owner really wants to win now. Having said that, it did work out for Trotz (Nashville) and Lemaire (Minnesota).

Guest Stogey24
10 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Yup, Gallant was pissed about some of the trades that Florida made.  

He seemed like a great coach. Players seemed to really like him. I have a friend of a friend who plays for the panthers, so maybe hear some dirt at some point.

Seems to be all upper management though, throwing their weight around   

14 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Seems to be all upper management though, throwing their weight around   

I think ownership had a hand in this as well.  The new owner, who apparently is a big fan of keeping everyone uncomfortable and on their toes at any given time, didn't exactly mince words in his comment about needing new leadership.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic