Jump to content

Where would the Habs finish in an all Canadian division?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

At this point I find myself half-hoping the Canucks pull it off. Not only would it be a great story, but I’m feeling rather mad at this Habs team, which is shaping up to be yet another disappointment

If its a 56 game season.  I expect Romanov to play about 45 games on the third pair.  Like many young d, he will need the occassional, lets step back and go to the press box with a coach and watch the

I loled    

Posted Images

1 hour ago, DON said:

Dont think regular travel will be part of season plan.

 

Don't think the players will want to do Hubs away from family.  Not for a full season. 

 

They are talking about a Canadian division, with limited travel... meaning that when the Habs go out west, they would play in Calgary 2x, Edmonton 2x, Vancouver 2x, Winnipeg 2x, and then come back east..... when those teams come to Montreal, they would also play twice in Montreal.  This would reduce the number of road trips. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Commandant said:

 

Don't think the players will want to do Hubs away from family.  Not for a full season. 

 

They are talking about a Canadian division, with limited travel... meaning that when the Habs go out west, they would play in Calgary 2x, Edmonton 2x, Vancouver 2x, Winnipeg 2x, and then come back east..... when those teams come to Montreal, they would also play twice in Montreal.  This would reduce the number of road trips. 

Could be up to 3 games in a row against the same team, I saw.

 

Jonathan Toews has been preaching this idea for a couple years now. He thinks the NHL should adopt a more MLB style schedule to cut down on team travel/carbon emissions. 

 

For those with access to The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/1331125/2019/10/29/introducing-the-toews-schedule-a-dramatically-reimagined-and-more-player-friendly-nhl-season/

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Commandant said:

Don't think the players will want to do Hubs away from family.  Not for a full season. 

 

They are talking about a Canadian division, with limited travel... meaning that when the Habs go out west, they would play in Calgary 2x, Edmonton 2x, Vancouver 2x, Winnipeg 2x, and then come back east..... when those teams come to Montreal, they would also play twice in Montreal.  This would reduce the number of road trips. 

 

13 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Could be up to 3 games in a row against the same team, I saw.

 

Jonathan Toews has been preaching this idea for a couple years now. He thinks the NHL should adopt a more MLB style schedule to cut down on team travel/carbon emissions. 

 

For those with access to The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/1331125/2019/10/29/introducing-the-toews-schedule-a-dramatically-reimagined-and-more-player-friendly-nhl-season/

 

Might work in Canada ... but in many US cities (and maybe even Ottawa) I think it would hurt ticket sales ... I expect that a lot of fans who are drawn to buy individual game tickets wouldn't want to see the same team three times in 5 days, maybe not even twice

 

In Canada there may be enough fans to spread out the potential buyers over three games ... the fans that can't "get in" one night will buy the second or third ... not certain season ticket holders will be as happy ... also not certain there is the same depth of demand in many NHL cities.

 

Makes total sense if there are no fans as expense management will be all important.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

 

 

Might work in Canada ... but in many US cities (and maybe even Ottawa) I think it would hurt ticket sales ... I expect that a lot of fans who are drawn to buy individual game tickets wouldn't want to see the same team three times in 5 days, maybe not even twice

 

In Canada there may be enough fans to spread out the potential buyers over three games ... the fans that can't "get in" one night will buy the second or third ... not certain season ticket holders will be as happy ... also not certain there is the same depth of demand in many NHL cities.

 

Makes total sense if there are no fans as expense management will be all important.

If they do this, it will probably mean that all matchups between two teams would be held in one city instead of the usual  1 home and 1 away game.

Meaning that, for example,  Habs could play twice in a row against Colorado at the Bell Centre and not play at all in Denver during the season.

On the other hand, maybe Habs would face Carolina 2-3 times in Raleigh, but the Canes would not come to Montréal this season.

 

People will eventually get used to have 41 home games, but spread between 15 to 20 teams instead of 30.   The other 10 to 15 teams would probably come over the next season.
Sure it sucks if your primary incentive for buying season tickets is watching EVERY team every season, but if it's the way to go to "save the planet",  I'm all for it.

 

NFL already has that kind of schedule system and it's not a big deal.  It's even more unbalanced in the NFL as some teams will not even face each others before a couple seasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

If they do this, it will probably mean that all matchups between two teams would be held in one city instead of the usual  1 home and 1 away game.

Meaning that, for example,  Habs could play twice in a row against Colorado at the Bell Centre and not play at all in Denver during the season.

On the other hand, maybe Habs would face Carolina 2-3 times in Raleigh, but the Canes would not come to Montréal this season.

 

People will eventually get used to have 41 home games, but spread between 15 to 20 teams instead of 30.   The other 10 to 15 teams would probably come over the next season.
Sure it sucks if your primary incentive for buying season tickets is watching EVERY team every season, but if it's the way to go to "save the planet",  I'm all for it.

 

NFL already has that kind of schedule system and it's not a big deal.  It's even more unbalanced in the NFL as some teams will not even face each others before a couple seasons.

Perhaps true ... change always looks strange ... but NFL example is not great IMO as they only play 19.5% of the number of games the NHL does ... there is no expectation to see all the teams with an regularity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

NFL already has that kind of schedule system and it's not a big deal.  It's even more unbalanced in the NFL as some teams will not even face each others before a couple seasons.

MLB only has always had teams play vs 1/2 of league, aside from token cross over ones. With no real issue, other than DH.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DON said:

MLB only has always had teams play vs 1/2 of league, aside from token cross over ones. With no real issue, other than DH.

Damn right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

 

 

Might work in Canada ... but in many US cities (and maybe even Ottawa) I think it would hurt ticket sales ... I expect that a lot of fans who are drawn to buy individual game tickets wouldn't want to see the same team three times in 5 days, maybe not even twice

 

In Canada there may be enough fans to spread out the potential buyers over three games ... the fans that can't "get in" one night will buy the second or third ... not certain season ticket holders will be as happy ... also not certain there is the same depth of demand in many NHL cities.

 

Makes total sense if there are no fans as expense management will be all important.

I don’t think there will be fans at the games - at least in Canada.  The whole reason to have teams play games in their home cities even if fans aren’t allowed is for fulfilling local tv contracts and building sponsorship deals.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Might work in Canada ... but in many US cities (and maybe even Ottawa) I think it would hurt ticket sales ... I expect that a lot of fans who are drawn to buy individual game tickets wouldn't want to see the same team three times in 5 days, maybe not even twice

 

A serious question: why are baseball fans happy seeing the same match-up three days in a row, but hockey fans need a different opponent every night?

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

 

A serious question: why are baseball fans happy seeing the same match-up three days in a row, but hockey fans need a different opponent every night?

Baseball teams will play a 3 or 4 game series.  It’s been part of the culture from the start.  Sports leagues general don’t like change and change takes a long time.

 

Season is twice as long in baseball and they play more back to back games.  Hockey used to have 5 game series and back to back playoff games and their was a huge outcry against both for the play-in and playoffs this year - just because it’s been a while for either to have been in effect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

 

A serious question: why are baseball fans happy seeing the same match-up three days in a row, but hockey fans need a different opponent every night?

 

Tradition of the game ... only practical way to play a schedule of that length ... there is no strain on baseball players to play 3-4 days in a row ... plus the starting pitcher changes each game, making for different match-ups?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Tradition of the game ... only practical way to play a schedule of that length ... there is no strain on baseball players to play 3-4 days in a row ... plus the starting pitcher changes each game, making for different match-ups?

 

If NHL played back-to-back games, I do expect we'd normally see different starting goalies, too.

 

And as we have seen in the playoffs, even with the same goalies, every game is different.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ignoring our hopes/expectations for Jake Allen, the backup goalie usually sells as many tickets as the 5th starter in a MLB rotation ... good baseball teams often have 3 starters that are worth following

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I just found this today and you guys really need to read it.  They will let anyone publish now.

 

https://editorinleaf.com/2020/11/25/toronto-maple-leafs-habs/amp/

HAHAHAHA

 

Quote

Considering the unpredictability of goalies and the fact that only 2 goals per hundred shots separates a star and a dud,  it makes no sense to spend assets on goalie. 


Truly bizarre thing to say coming from a fanbase writer whose team used to pay a 1st pick for Vesa Tosakala and Tukka Rask for Andrew Raycroft.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

Truly bizarre thing to say coming from a fanbase writer whose team used to pay a 1st pick for Vesa Tosakala and Tukka Rask for Andrew Raycroft.

 

Don't forget the first-round pick (plus a 2nd) they dealt for Frederik Andersen and then dealing more picks plus a young roster player (Trevor Moore) last year for Jack Campbell and the rights to rent Kyle Clifford the rest of the way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I was listening to the Steve dangle podcast which is a leaf homer podcast but they had Brian Burke on there talking about the issues with upcoming season. 
 

they asked Burke about how great the leafs were and how they are now built for the playoffs and he said the leafs are not improved but the Habs are a serious team now and we are built for regular season and playoffs. Burke thinks habs finish first

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I was listening to the Steve dangle podcast which is a leaf homer podcast but they had Brian Burke on there talking about the issues with upcoming season. 
 

they asked Burke about how great the leafs were and how they are now built for the playoffs and he said the leafs are not improved but the Habs are a serious team now and we are built for regular season and playoffs. Burke thinks habs finish first

 

I agree that the Habs are, on paper, a "serious team" as you put it. Yes, KK is a question mark, but most teams have a key question mark or two. I think the reason so many prognosticators are being cautious in highlighting the Habs as a real threat is simply that the team has been mediocre so chronically for so long that it's hard to flip that mental switch without any tangible proof.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

I agree that the Habs are, on paper, a "serious team" as you put it. Yes, KK is a question mark, but most teams have a key question mark or two. I think the reason so many prognosticators are being cautious in highlighting the Habs as a real threat is simply that the team has been mediocre so chronically for so long that it's hard to flip that mental switch without any tangible proof.

Yeah that certainly is a good point that we have been mediocre for so long that we deserve skepticism. 
 

The only question regarding the habs was indeed our 2 young centres. If they play like they did in the playoffs then we are gonna hurt teams

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yeah that certainly is a good point that we have been mediocre for so long that we deserve skepticism. 
 

The only question regarding the habs was indeed our 2 young centres. If they play like they did in the playoffs then we are gonna hurt teams

 

Oh, we have question marks. Can Suzuki and  Kotkaniemi play like they did in the postseason? Will Romanov live up to his hype? Will Anderson play up to his contract? What can Edmundson do on D? Will any of our young winger prospects start the season in the NHL?

 

All that said, I'm really looking forward to seeing what they might be able to do this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...