Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players

alfredoh2009

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Markov was a distributor.  He would still work on a PP today.  A PP run through a Souray type wouldn't though. 

Maybe if you had Souray on one side and a Caufield on the other. Then the d can't cheat as easy but you'd ideally want the point shot to be able to do a good seem pass.

It's just about diversity of looks.

1 hour ago, Plutarch said:

Maybe if you had Souray on one side and a Caufield on the other. Then the d can't cheat as easy but you'd ideally want the point shot to be able to do a good seem pass.

Neither Souray or Caufield are QBs ... both are BOMBERS.

1 hour ago, Plutarch said:

You still need that distributor as well as someone to work the front/side of the net and play in the bumper position.

The biggest difference in the successful PPs now vs that Souray PP though is that teams are creating scoring chances much closer to the net.  Its easier to beat a goalie from 10 feet than from 60

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

You still need that distributor as well as someone to work the front/side of the net and play in the bumper position.

The biggest difference in the successful PPs now vs that Souray PP though is that teams are creating scoring chances much closer to the net.  Its easier to beat a goalie from 10 feet than from 60

IMO the biggest difference is that successful PPs have a QB who controls the flow and can find the right option more often than not (which can include a Souray-like BOMB from the point, but not rely on it) ... not certain the Habs have that QB yet.

46 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

IMO the biggest difference is that successful PPs have a QB who controls the flow and can find the right option more often than not (which can include a Souray-like BOMB from the point, but not rely on it) ... not certain the Habs have that QB yet.

I should think that Suzuki has the potential to be that QB/distributor.

40 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I should think that Suzuki has the potential to be that QB/distributor.

It's an interesting question...I think at present we need him more below the dots, as both a scoring threat and threading the seam to Caufield. His deadly bolt from the dot means that teams can't just focus on CC.

If we were to add another elite-level scoring threat up front, then definitely, I could see Slick Nick manning the blueline on the PP.

36 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's an interesting question...I think at present we need him more below the dots, as both a scoring threat and threading the seam to Caufield. His deadly bolt from the dot means that teams can't just focus on CC.

If we were to add another elite-level scoring threat up front, then definitely, I could see Slick Nick manning the blueline on the PP.

Yes thats the issue.

We need a bit more offensive talent overall to make a good PP.

RHP scored four on the PP last year (in 34 games), and Ylonen has had some success on the power play in the AHL (16 PPG in about 90 games). Do we have any other forward prospects that have that quick shot that can find the back of the net on a power play?

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

RHP scored four on the PP last year (in 34 games), and Ylonen has had some success on the power play in the AHL (16 PPG in about 90 games). Do we have any other forward prospects that have that quick shot that can find the back of the net on a power play?

It would be a pleasant surprise if RHP and Ylonen can contribute ... but I wouldn't set expectations too high.

19 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Do we have any other forward prospects that have that quick shot that can find the back of the net on a power play?

Slafkovski, or Heineman.

It does not appear that Heineman has really had a good look at playing on the man-advantage at Leksand (only one PP goal in two years), but he did score two for the Rocket at the end of last season. Maybe we'll see him regularly on the Laval power play this season.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

It does not appear that Heineman has really had a good look at playing on the man-advantage at Leksand (only one PP goal in two years), but he did score two for the Rocket at the end of last season. Maybe we'll see him regularly on the Laval power play this season.

2023 Montreal Canadiens Top 25 Under 25: #21 Emil Heineman (habseyesontheprize.com)

"His time in Montreal went from Heaven to Hell in a matter of a shift. In a pre-season game against Ottawa, an injury happened, and Heineman was sidelined for a month before returning to his SHL team in November.

Upon his return to Sweden, the international players had come into the lineup, and with the injury, Heineman didn't get the chance to defend the roster spot he had during the pre-season games."

On 8/18/2023 at 7:16 PM, GHT120 said:

Neither Souray or Caufield are QBs ... both are BOMBERS.

On 8/18/2023 at 7:29 PM, Commandant said:

My idea wasn't them both at the point.

Was to have a qb on the back with Souray with Caufield playing closer on the other side. Regardless I agree that having the traditional weber/Souray pp setup doesn't work. I just don't think that means a player with that shot isn't useful on the pp.

• 1 month later...

Can’t help but wonder how Danault feels about being a third line center again?

IMO he was great for them (for what you get from him) last season.  Think third line suits him, but recall it being a rumoured issue in Mtl.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I was curious what would happen with Drouin after getting a shot with Colorado but after one assist in 8 games he is a healthy scratch already. 

Not sure how much NHL time he has left and maybe that’s a good thing for his mental health. 

I thought he would do well, for some reason.

10 hours ago, DON said:

I thought he would do well, for some reason.

I thought so too. I really thought he'd turn a corner after that mental health break + leaving Montreal. I guess either the mental health is still an issue or he should have worked on that earlier in his career.

Personally having battled anxiety and depression when i got it under control my productivity has spiked so high. I was hoping he'd experience that too, especially since his was so tied to sleep. Obviously everyone's situations there are different.

On 11/2/2023 at 2:40 AM, Plutarch said:

I thought so too. I really thought he'd turn a corner after that mental health break + leaving Montreal. I guess either the mental health is still an issue or he should have worked on that earlier in his career.

Personally having battled anxiety and depression when i got it under control my productivity has spiked so high. I was hoping he'd experience that too, especially since his was so tied to sleep. Obviously everyone's situations there are different.

What I was never able to understand was, if Drouin suffered from anxiety, how come he made trade demands against Tampa Bay which were guaranteed to make him a source of controversy and put him under a microscope in whatever team acquired him. Maybe he was just doing what his agent told him, but I still find it a very strange decision 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, I seldom want former Habs to do well and he is no exception. He’s a marginal NHLer - Bergevin’s Folly.

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Anyway, I seldom want former Habs to do well and he is no exception. He’s a marginal NHLer - Bergevin’s Folly.

There's a handful for me. Guys that didn't want to leave who get traded (Georges comes to mind) or guys who always worked hard but got traded for rebuild reasons (Lehkonen) I can cheer for. 

Plus guys with major off ice things and then coming back is like a feel-good story (Drouin).

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Neech said:

Wow, this Galchenyuk video is wild. 

Personally, I would say DISGUSTING ... alcohol/drugs don't put such "ugliness" in a person's heart, they just remove the filters behind which they hide it.