Where are they now? News on past Habs prospects and players

alfredoh2009

You have to ask the question as to whether so many of these were busts due to themselves or poor development from The Habs management. We had a win now mentality with a mediocre bunch and when top draft picks didn't become the next Richard overnight, they weren't supported the way the Habs do now. 

Can't imagine that Slavkovsky would have had the time develop or even our entire D corps, had this been under Bergevin in the middle of the last decade. In some respects, Price being long-term injured has helped the club to stop chasing "a cup before Carey retires" like the whole of the 2010's was. 

Edited by brindavis
  • Upvote 1

Of that list on the previous page, only Scherbak, Juulsen and Poehling were first-rounders, and Juulsen was injured before we could really see his ultimate potential. The other two, I personally doubt whether they would have developed even in a better environment.

The others were late picks which have a low probability of becoming NHL regulars anyway.

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Of that list on the previous page, only Scherbak, Juulsen and Poehling were first-rounders, and Juulsen was injured before we could really see his ultimate potential. The other two, I personally doubt whether they would have developed even in a better environment.

The others were late picks which have a low probability of becoming NHL regulars anyway.

exactly

9 hours ago, tomh009 said:

What about how KK was handled. He was not only the wrong pick - but handled badly. Not sure what was dumber:

1) Drafting KK over Hughes and Tkachuk 

2) playing KK in the NHL as the youngest player in the league as a scrawny 18 year old.

3) trading a 1st and 2nd for Dvorak instead of keeping the picks for losing KK to the Canes.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

What about how KK was handled. He was not only the wrong pick - but handled badly. Not sure what was dumber:

1) Drafting KK over Hughes and Tkachuk 

2) playing KK in the NHL as the youngest player in the league as a scrawny 18 year old.

3) trading a 1st and 2nd for Dvorak instead of keeping the picks for losing KK to the Canes.

Yes ... Kotkaniemi ... not the right pick, although the Habs have made more disastrous ones, too. And development wasn't good, although Carolina hasn't been able to get much more out of him, either, so unclear what exactly the root cause is.

53 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

This picture is making the rounds this morning and I wanted to post it because of how awesome it is. Two of the greatest goalies to wear the CH

IMG_0289.jpeg

Yep, and I still fervently want to see a #31 banner raised in a few years.

59 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yep, and I still fervently want to see a #31 banner raised in a few years.

won't happen for #31. More deserving players have not gotten that honor , even if he is one of my all time favorites I doubt this happens

35 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

won't happen for #31. More deserving players have not gotten that honor , even if he is one of my all time favorites I doubt this happens

There is no way they don't retire his number.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

There is no way they don't retire his number.

they shun other players , I remember it took for ever to retire Butch Bouchard’s number 

so based on that, I am sceptic on Price’s number.

But maybe HughGort and Chantal feel differently 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I cannot think of a more deserving player who doesn't have his number up there. They gave it to Guy Lapointe FFS. 

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I cannot think of a more deserving player who doesn't have his number up there. They gave it to Guy Lapointe FFS. 

I hear you. A lot of it I think comes down to a bit of luck and being fortunate to be on teams that won the cup. 

I never thought Kevin Lowe was a Hall of Fame guy. If he had played for the Winnipeg Jets instead of the Oilers I think there is zero chance he would be in the Hall of Fame. A solid dependable player but Hall of Fame?  And there is always some politics involved like everything else in life. 

14 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I hear you. A lot of it I think comes down to a bit of luck and being fortunate to be on teams that won the cup. 

I never thought Kevin Lowe was a Hall of Fame guy. If he had played for the Winnipeg Jets instead of the Oilers I think there is zero chance he would be in the Hall of Fame. A solid dependable player but Hall of Fame?  And there is always some politics involved like everything else in life. 

The "Cup" argument carries weight in Montreal, I concede. But as the cherry on top of his stellar career as the Habs' MVP for a decade and a top-3 NHL goalie, Price took us to the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time since 1993. That seals the deal for me.

21 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

This picture is making the rounds today and this hit made me jump off the couch and growl like a bear!

One of my favourite moments in Habs history. 

IMG_0295.jpeg

A profoundly gratifying moment. In terms of Habs heroes demolishing a-holes, it's second only to this:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

This picture is making the rounds today and this hit made me jump off the couch and growl like a bear!

One of my favourite moments in Habs history. 

IMG_0295.jpeg

A great memory.  I have seen about 10 Habs games live and this was one of them!

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

A profoundly gratifying moment. In terms of Habs heroes demolishing a-holes, it's second only to this:

Equally gratifying. 

Kovalev circling around the offensive zone with the puck on his stick with the sole purpose of steamrolling Tucker was a thing of utter beauty. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 2:34 PM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I became a Habs fan in 1980 so I missed the 70s glory days but this is a cool picture 

1978. Yvan Cournoyer hoists the Cup for all to see as the Montreal Canadiens win the Stanley Cup for the 3rd straight time.

IMG_0298.png

I was a young boy during this time, but I played hockey. Watching my dad and my uncle's fanatic behavior about the Canadiens, I really had no choice but to jump on the bandwagon at 6 years old. 

• Like 1

Some past Habs, still playing:

Danault 30 points (10 goals),+3, playing 16-20 min most nights on second line, 2nd PP and 1st PK.

KK. 18 points -11 as of today.

apparently back into top 6 at C, but was playing wing on 4th line for past month or so (sub 10min toi/game).

Sergachev, bad looking injury last night after missing 17 games due to lower body injury. Bad start to first year of huge deal.

Edmundson is apparently being shopped by Caps, playing 3rd pairing minutes (14-15 min/game), 3 total points and likely will be press box material if a contender picks him up for depth. Has continued to have injury problems and incredibly slowed down even more.

Toffolli playing 13-19 min/night and has 34 points, -9, currently ill and dtd.

Seems to be in the top 6 generally, on this ice a lot with empty nets…

Mike McCaron plays for Preds and dresses most games, plays about 10 min/game, has 12 points and a plus 1…

Kinda surprised he dresses as much as he does, and that he is still in the show for that matter.  Good for him, he was a poor pick for Habs at that draft position but not his fault the team ignored a lack of speed, skill and went for size.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

Some past Habs, still playing:

Danault 30 points (10 goals),+3, playing 16-20 min most nights on second line, 2nd PP and 1st PK.

KK. 18 points -11 as of today.

apparently back into top 6 at C, but was playing wing on 4th line for past month or so (sub 10min toi/game).

Sergachev, bad looking injury last night after missing 17 games due to lower body injury. Bad start to first year of huge deal.

Edmundson is apparently being shopped by Caps, playing 3rd pairing minutes (14-15 min/game), 3 total points and likely will be press box material if a contender picks him up for depth. Has continued to have injury problems and incredibly slowed down even more.

Toffolli playing 13-19 min/night and has 34 points, -9, currently ill and dtd.

Seems to be in the top 6 generally, on this ice a lot with empty nets…

Mike McCaron plays for Preds and dresses most games, plays about 10 min/game, has 12 points and a plus 1…

Kinda surprised he dresses as much as he does, and that he is still in the show for that matter.  Good for him, he was a poor pick for Habs at that draft position but not his fault the team ignored a lack of speed, skill and went for size.  

That’s a really fun overview. Thanks 👍 

I am quite glad to see KK apparently topping out as a bottom-6 guy without much offensive upside. When he was here I repeatedly expressed the concern that he would become nothing more than Lars Eller. Right now he seems like even less than that. (Nothing wrong with Eller, but that’s not the result you want from a #3 overall pick).

McCarron - a later bloomer, obviously. But at 28, this is the first season he hasn’t bounced from AHL to NHL and he is benefitting from the fact that the Preds are a bad team. He’s basically a marginal NHLer. I used to sort of excuse the pick because, other than Theodore, there didn’t seem to be a lot of quality NHLers coming out of that area of the 2013 draft, but years later, it’s clear that Ryan Hartman, Theodore, and Jason Dickinson were all far better options. Yet another blown pick by MB. 

27 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I am quite glad to see KK apparently topping out as a bottom-6 guy without much offensive upside.

Better yet, Carolina is paying him almost $5M/year on a long-term contract for that role.