Habs-Leafs Series Discussion Thread

dlbalr

Was it Simmonds that neutralized Anderson?  Or was it playing with Staal and Perry for much of the night (who were awful), and that he simply wasn't as good as Game 1 where he was able to carry those two.  Something that he cant be expected to do every night.  He's not McDavid, he can't play that level of game every night. 

Game 1 he played well above his normal night.  Game 2 he was below his normal night. 

Hopefully he gets it back for game 3 and playing with some better linemates might help.

That of course is entirely possible Commandant. Staal was poor and Perry was indeed poor as well. 

It just looked to me like Anderson was spending all of his time battling with Simmonds. However a better centre would allow Anderson to burn Simmonds with speed instead of brawn. 

Would still enjoy Edmundson smashing his face in

I don’t like how much time we’re spending in these threads discussing Simmonds...it suggests that he is being highly successful in doing what he’s supposed to do, i.e., be a fourth-line grinder and agitator who messes up the more skilled guys on the other team. And if Anderson is “distracted” by him, then it’s up to DD to sit him down and tell him to forget Simmonds and start focusing on Campbell.

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think we need to deal with Simmonds. He is running around cross checking and hitting us, he has eliminated Anderson and he skates around with an attitude that dares us to do anything about it. 

I think the next time Simmonds is in the corner with Edmundson, Edmundson should just start punching Simmonds in the face. It will of course lead to a fight. We just need to ensure Edmundson wins. 

If Simmonds continues to run around being a dirty shit then repeat the process with Chairot. 

Simmonds is a problem that we should not ignore 

Other than the satisfaction for fans of seeing Edmundson (theoretically) beating up Simmonds, do you really think that a thrashing will stop Simmonds ... at this point the way he is playing is what is keeping him in the lineup ... a tame Simmonds AND ... what happens if Simmonds thrashes Joel ... it just makes him into a MORE of a problem for the Habs, on the ice and in their heads.

7 minutes ago, Neech said:

If they're not letting Weber cross-check at will then everything I thought was true about the world is a lie. Will the sun come up tomorrow morning? Who knows.

There has always been a conspiracy among the refs to let Weber get away with murder - probably as a sign of respect to this Good Canadian Boy Who Plays the Right Way. While I find this kind of arbitrariness very irritating in principle, it has certainly benefited the Habs during his time with us. If last night’s penalty signals that the deal is off, then that is bad news for us.

I, for one. am not so upset about the penalties the Habs took, but I am mad about the penalties not called against the Leafs.

Seems to me the Leafs got the ear of the Refs in calling all against the Habs because their players were getting ragdoll'ed the first game

If the Habs are to upset the Leafs, they have to be much MUCH better than game 2

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

There has always been a conspiracy among the refs to let Weber get away with murder - probably as a sign of respect to this Good Canadian Boy Who Plays the Right Way. While I find this kind of arbitrariness very irritating in principle, it has certainly benefited the Habs during his time with us. If last night’s penalty signals that the deal is off, then that is bad news for us.

Last night the refs got all of the calls against Montreal right. Except Lehkonen.  There was no slash. They were legally infractions. The issue is, they completely ignored the Leafs equal and worse infractions. Knee on perry. Crosscheck on merril. Butt end on taffoli, 30 seconds before Leafs score. High sticks on both sides in scrum. Gallagher gets the call. Hyman boarding on KK. Engvall crosscheck. Simmonds slash. It was way more than one or two missed plays. 

26 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Other than the satisfaction for fans of seeing Edmundson (theoretically) beating up Simmonds, do you really think that a thrashing will stop Simmonds ... at this point the way he is playing is what is keeping him in the lineup ... a tame Simmonds AND ... what happens if Simmonds thrashes Joel ... it just makes him into a MORE of a problem for the Habs, on the ice and in their heads.

losing the fight would hurt for sure but Edmundson is the biggest, strongest, toughest guy we have. He is an immense beast and I’m confident he would best Simmonds. 

A beating on Simmonds would strip him of his attitude. He is going around doing dirty, hurtful things at will. Remember the hit on Anderson and when Anderson was getting up he was cross checked to the ground by Simmonds? He taunts us and we just take it. 

Why worry about Simmonds? He was clearly given the mission of containing Anderson - and he did. The same way that Danault and Evans are routinely sent to contain mcdavid. Perhaps Staal and Perry caused much of Anderson’s struggle but he battled all game long. 

This game is not the best measuring tool. Way too many penalties against us and leafs must have talked to the league ahead of time to warn them of the Habs dirty play - or the leafs paid off the refs. 

24 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

... A beating on Simmonds would strip him of his attitude ...

Therein we disagree ... players who "have a role" know that part of that role is fights, which may include the odd beating ... I don't see Simmonds, or most any other NHLer who plays an edgy/dirty style, changing how they play because of a fight (unless they are injured or course) ... especially in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Was it Simmonds that neutralized Anderson?  Or was it playing with Staal and Perry for much of the night (who were awful), and that he simply wasn't as good as Game 1 where he was able to carry those two.  Something that he cant be expected to do every night.  He's not McDavid, he can't play that level of game every night. 

Game 1 he played well above his normal night.  Game 2 he was below his normal night. 

Hopefully he gets it back for game 3 and playing with some better linemates might help.

I don’t get the point of playing a fast guy who can shoot, and had skill with two old guys that can’t keep up with him.

aesuming everyone is healthy, I’d go with the following:

Armia-Suzuki-Caufield 
Taffoli-KK-Anderson

Byron-Danault-Gallagher 

Lekhonan-Evans-Perry

They also need to get Romanov back into the lineup.

37 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Of all of the nonsense that happened in the FLA-TB game yesterday, this is the only fine from Saturday:

WTF??

I looked on Reddit and have to laugh, even Leafs fans are confused as to which cross-check earned the suspension.

This league is a farce

41 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t get the point of playing a fast guy who can shoot, and had skill with two old guys that can’t keep up with him.

aesuming everyone is healthy, I’d go with the following:

Armia-Suzuki-Caufield 
Taffoli-KK-Anderson

Byron-Danault-Gallagher 

Lekhonan-Evans-Perry

They also need to get Romanov back into the lineup.

I would be good with this lineup 👍

Check out the spelling 🐝 thread also

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

WTF??

I looked on Reddit and have to laugh, even Leafs fans are confused as to which cross-check earned the suspension.

This league is a farce

I believe this is it:

I had said before the game started that who ever gets their PP going will win this series. I just didn't realize that all the PP would be going to Toronto. 

We need to keep our cool vrs Toronto not get bated  into stupid penalties like we were in game 2. A lot of those penalties were unnecessary. Got to stay out of the box if we hope to win this series.

7 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I wonder who is sitting?

Per TVA

Byron-Danault-Anderson
Armia-Suzuki-Caufield
Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Staal-Perry 

Chiarot-Weber
Edmundson-Petry
Kulak-Merill 

But RDS says that Romanov also had a "regulars" sweater on at the skate

23 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Per TVA

Byron-Danault-Anderson
Armia-Suzuki-Caufield
Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Staal-Perry 

Chiarot-Weber
Edmundson-Petry
Kulak-Merill 

But RDS says that Romanov also had a "regulars" sweater on at the skate

I’m not a fan of the D pairings at all. 

I hope we destroy them

Sitting Tatar is stupid.  We should be adding Caufield yes.  But it should be to add offence to a team with 3 goals in 2 games.  Not take away another offensive winger.

Perry has been far worse than Tatar and Perry/staal is having a lack of speed exposed. Keeping them on the same line is really dumb.

Tatar also has not been bad.  He just hasnt finished in 2 games, a small sample.  But the Habs control play with him on the ice.

Wouldnt hurt my feelings if Romanov dresses and live with a mistake or three, with eye more on future seasons when may contend.

Scratch Tatar, why not him? If its he or Perry, flip a coin. If means the kid dresses (for good/bad), thats the main thing.:clap:

• Upvote 1

Caufield will be in for Staal, not Tatar as originally expected.  Staal's lingering injury is keeping him out of this one.  Evans remains unavailable so they will only have three centres in the lineup.