2021 NHL Playoffs

Neech

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

I'm not upset at Tampa using the rules for the purpose they were intended. If a player has a Long Term injury, you are able to replace him.

I mean the Habs made the same use of LTIR down the stretch here.

I don't have a problem with the LTIR rules.

I dont know any of the rules and just grinding your gears Ben.

Imagine if one or couple of owners bitch enough, rule changes will happen.

4 hours ago, DON said:

I dont know any of the rules and just grinding your gears Ben.

Imagine if one or couple of owners bitch enough, rule changes will happen.

Not without union approval though.  The rules are part of the CBA and that can't be changed unless the union agrees.  And is this the hill the owners are going to die on when they bring in a new CBA?

I've always thought the salary cap is far too complicated. They should get rid of the daily calculations and just base everything off of total yearly salary. At all times, your total active salary needs to be under the cap.  None of this manipulating things so that you keep 1 million open for 2/3 of the season, allowing you to add a 3 million dollar player for the last 1/3. Then get rid of LTIR and simply don't count players who are on IR. 

18 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I've always thought the salary cap is far too complicated. They should get rid of the daily calculations and just base everything off of total yearly salary. At all times, your total active salary needs to be under the cap.  None of this manipulating things so that you keep 1 million open for 2/3 of the season, allowing you to add a 3 million dollar player for the last 1/3. Then get rid of LTIR and simply don't count players who are on IR. 

So youd effectively destroy the trade deadline as an important date in the hockey calendar and you would also greatly reduce in season trades between teams as there would be a need to match dollar for dollar on most deals.

Why would the NHL do this.  Trades are one of the things that gets media and fans talking about the sport.  The marketing hit of greatly reducing the number of in season trades would be a huge negative for the league.

Watching this Isles/lightning game... the league should be embarrassed by how bad their officials are, and with it being final four these are supposed to be the best of the best.

Its effected both teams but man this is so bad.

Point gets a penalty when he was ccrosschecked on a breakaway and should have had a penalty shot.  Isles score on that PP.

Later the Lightning score with 7 players on the ice.

Just embarrassing.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Watching this Isles/lightning game... the league should be embarrassed by how bad their officials are, and with it being final four these are supposed to be the best of the best.

Point gets a penalty when he was ccrosschecked on a breakaway and should have had a penalty shot.  Isles score on that PP.

Just embarrassing.

NHL officiating (despite what that idiot Ron Maclean says), is consistently the worst among the major sports. Everyone makes mistakes, but I don’t know any other sport where the consciously change enforcement of the rules like that NHL does.

but than I’m still bitter about the flames scoring a winning goal against the habs while their trainer was on the ice attending to Mike Vernon who acted like he had just got shot.

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

Just embarrassing.

Everyone's "favourite" commentator, Pierre McGuire, has been saying for several years that the NHL would have, and now has, a problem because of the number of experienced officials that have retired in recent years ... they really should institute a better development program, including a more regular replenishment of the pool of officials modelled on the English Football demotion system ... annually, the 5-10% with the worst ratings are demoted and the best from the AHL promoted to replace them ... ratings should be mostly NHL head office opinion but with scores anonymously submitted by each team factored in as well.

6 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The amount of elbows, interference, cross checking, holding etc that went uncalled last night was a joke too. 

Much of that, IMO, is due to the instructions the NHL gives officials for the playoffs and not how bad the actual officials are (although I am not disagreeing that they aren't great)

20 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Much of that, IMO, is due to the instructions the NHL gives officials for the playoffs and not how bad the actual officials are (although I am not disagreeing that they aren't great)

I used to think was 100% this, but seems the refs are just pulling calls out of their behinds or flipping a coin what they feel like calling...but still bushleague as ever, so not much use complaining, it is what it is and quality of officiating hasnt significantly changed as far back as i can recall. 

Just now, DON said:

I used to think was 100% this, but seems the refs are just pulling calls out of their behinds or flipping a coin what they feel like calling...but still bushleague as ever, so not much use complaining, it is what it is and quality of officiating hasnt significantly changed as far back as i can recall. 

As I said, I don't disagree the refs are bad ... and only think the NHL has a role in that they "set the bar" for what is to be called ... lots of pathetic-ness to go around

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

As I said, I don't disagree the refs are bad ... and only think the NHL has a role in that they "set the bar" for what is to be called ... lots of pathetic-ness to go around

Yes, the owners do a huge disservice to NHL by tickering with officiating for rating purposes and officials are between rock/hard place, but they could try 'harder' and somehow be more objective and consistent.

Technology should be used to instantly blow the play dead for offsides and goals. It’s crazy that we are scouring camera angles to see if the puck crossed the line or not - technology can tell us instantly. 

You can’t have regular season rules and playoff rules. Insanity 

Maybe linesmen could take on some aspects of reffing? 

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

[...]

Maybe linesmen could take on some aspects of reffing? 

Then it will be like:

who’s on first

what’s on second 

why is on third

... I don’t know ... who should call that penalty

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Technology should be used to instantly blow the play dead for offsides and goals. It’s crazy that we are scouring camera angles to see if the puck crossed the line or not - technology can tell us instantly. 

I think is huge improvement in tennis isnt it?

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 4:24 PM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Didn't they try out pucks with built in computer chips and the players hated them?

Just a rubber thing isnt it, so shouldnt be rocket science to come up with these days, is it? Cant they make cheap minuscule microchips. 

Again, I am no rocket scientist.

11 hours ago, DON said:

Just a rubber thing isnt it, so shouldnt be rocket science to come up with these days, is it? Cant they make cheap minuscule microchips. 

Again, I am no rocket scientist.

I think the issue was how to imbed the chip[ in the puck ... if you do it as the puck is formed the hot rubber likely damages the chip and I believe they did it using two-piece pucks and some split in two.

30 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I think the issue was how to imbed the chip[ in the puck ... if you do it as the puck is formed the hot rubber likely damages the chip and I believe they did it using two-piece pucks and some split in two.

You have to also remember how good these players are.  Some of the top players, like crosby, could tell if the puck was the original or if it was a two-piece with a chip in it just by stickhandling with it.  So it was effecting the game too as the players indicated the two-piece pucks didn't move the same.  Goalies said that they didn't spin the same when shot too. 

Sorry, i still cant believe a company cant cheaply mold a rubber form around a chip. Maybe it is simply that a north American company cant be bothered to invent it for such a niche item?

42 minutes ago, DON said:

Sorry, i still cant believe a company cant cheaply mold a rubber form around a chip. Maybe it is simply that a north American company cant be bothered to invent it for such a niche item?

Technology has come so far that I can’t believe that it isn’t possible. 

Surely it can be done 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Technology has come so far that I can’t believe that it isn’t possible. 

Surely it can be done 

Shirley got pregnant and resigned. 

It would have to be a pretty advanced chip if you want one chip to be able to provide enough data to verify the exact position of the puck. It would have to be able to register the exact orientation of the puck in three dimensions. Consideration my smart phone can't even get the compass to work to tell which direction I am facing, I kind of doubt the kind of chip that could provide such data cheaply.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic