Jump to content

2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread


tomh009
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just now, TurdBurglar said:

Sounds like Evander Kane will be signing with Edmonton tonight.

 

https://oilersnation.com/2022/01/11/apparently-the-oilers-are-close-to-a-deal-with-evander-kane/

 

I'm not sure I believe it as the NHLPA is grieving his San Jose contract, so he would be ineligible to sign another deal?

 

Ken Holland said be believes in 2nd chances which I agree with. I think with Kane though this would be his 3rd, 4th or 5th chance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

Ken Holland said be believes in 2nd chances which I agree with. I think with Kane though this would be his 3rd, 4th or 5th chance. 

This is what's wrong with sports, you give guys like Kane, Brown (NFL) chance after chance after chance. But a guy like Kap gets Zero , makes zero sense to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

This is what's wrong with sports, you give guys like Kane, Brown (NFL) chance after chance after chance. But a guy like Kap gets Zero , makes zero sense to me. 

 

Evander Kane is still an above average player in the NHL as recently as last season.  Antonio Brown is still above average at his position.  Kaepernick is a second-string QB who is more of a runner than a passer.  Teams will live with the baggage if the player can still contribute but if they're bringing in someone to fill a bench role, they're going to stay away from any controversy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

Evander Kane is still an above average player in the NHL as recently as last season.  Antonio Brown is still above average at his position.  Kaepernick is a second-string QB who is more of a runner than a passer.  Teams will live with the baggage if the player can still contribute but if they're bringing in someone to fill a bench role, they're going to stay away from any controversy.

Yeah, it make sense to stay away from social consciousness  issues controversies, but no issues with multiple sexual abuse, spousal abuse, gambling, drug, or attempts of vaccination fraud, or multiple incidents of not following protocols 🙄

 

Kaepernick was still a MUCH better option at QB than what a lot of teams went with. Kane is a cancer, that has continuously mutated into a worse cancer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just like hearing stuff like this, Engels bit;

 

"Lastly, Romanov may not have participated in a practice with teammates since 2021, but he’s probably been doing nothing but training in the States. I would think Ducharme would have to chain him to a seat in the press box to keep him out of the lineup against the Bruins, but we’ll see."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DON said:

"THE" spectrum

One end =Romanov............................................................Other end=Drouin.:P

Not this season.

 

Drouin is as constant as Tatar was

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Not this season.

 

Drouin is as constant as Tatar was

 this bit:

..."just brims with passion and enthusiasm."

Is there another Hab that gives up on plays or simply stands around simply coasting watching the other 4 Habs defend, once out of own end he does wake up (a la Brett Hull school of backchecking).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DON said:

 this bit:

..."just brims with passion and enthusiasm."

Is there another Hab that gives up on plays or simply stands around simply coasting watching the other 4 Habs defend, once out of own end he does wake up (a la Brett Hull school of backchecking).

Again, I disagree. Drouin is similar as Weber and Price in how he shows his emotions: dry

but on the ice, he has been backchecking and positionally sound. He is not physical but finishes his checks

 

Wideman is more the opposite of Romanov than Drouin 

Edited by alfredoh2009
changed typo from "shoes" to "shows"
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, DON said:

 this bit:

..."just brims with passion and enthusiasm."

Is there another Hab that gives up on plays or simply stands around simply coasting watching the other 4 Habs defend, once out of own end he does wake up (a la Brett Hull school of backchecking).

 

Nearly every be of them that isn’t an AHL player this season.  To name a couple.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

At 20 yrs-old this does not bode well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DON said:

 this bit:

..."just brims with passion and enthusiasm."

Is there another Hab that gives up on plays or simply stands around simply coasting watching the other 4 Habs defend, once out of own end he does wake up (a la Brett Hull school of backchecking).

 

 

I haven't seen that with Drouin this season. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

 

At 20 yrs-old this does not bode well.

 

It does not bode well, it would be a shame as he is such a good young player. 

 

I am always leery of drafting guys with a concussion history, apparently Mathew Savoie has had a couple already. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, Allen is injured again. Will Montembeault start against Chicago, or will it be Primeau?

 

No goalies left for the taxi squad, but if they call up McNiven, Laval is going to be left with just Poulin. 😮

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Athletic (Cory Pronman) ranked the top 160 NHL players/prospects under 23 ... the numbering is obviously VERY subjective ... but overall it offers some perspective.

 

Habs had five, (Suzuki the highest at #25, Caufield next at #79) in the top 40 ... Detroit had 8 (2 in the the top 10) ... Buffalo had 9 (2 in the top 10, 3 in top 20) ... Ottawa had 7 (3 in top 20) ... Gorton, the new GM and the scouting staff have their work cut out for them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The Athletic (Cory Pronman) ranked the top 160 NHL players/prospects under 23 ... the numbering is obviously VERY subjective ... but overall it offers some perspective.

 

Habs had five, (Suzuki the highest at #25, Caufield next at #79) in the top 40 ... Detroit had 8 (2 in the the top 10) ... Buffalo had 9 (2 in the top 10, 3 in top 20) ... Ottawa had 7 (3 in top 20) ... Gorton, the new GM and the scouting staff have their work cut out for them.

Yes ... Pronman only included Suzuki, Caufield, Poehling, Guhle and Roy. He did not rank Romanov, Norlinder, Harris, Mysak, Farrell or Ylonen (or others) at all.  I don't think I agree with even the top five Habs under 23, but then I cannot claim to be any kind of an expert, either. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Yes ... Pronman only included Suzuki, Caufield, Poehling, Guhle and Roy. He did not rank Romanov, Norlinder, Harris, Mysak, Farrell or Ylonen (or others) at all.  I don't think I agree with even the top five Habs under 23, but then I cannot claim to be any kind of an expert, either. :)

 

No prospect expert I, but I seriously doubt that any of those guys project to be elite. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The ones I listed? No, probably not (of course always depending on one's definition of "elite") but then neither would I expect Poehling or Roy to reach that level. Guhle, maybe, but he was ranked lower than Poehling ...

 

Pronman only ranked the top four on his list as "bubble elite", the others were at best "NHL All-Star".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anderson likely back for monday's game, hope he is all fired up to be back and has a big game. He can be very entertaining when he is he has his 'powerhorse' game going.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, tomh009 said:

The ones I listed? No, probably not (of course always depending on one's definition of "elite") but then neither would I expect Poehling or Roy to reach that level. Guhle, maybe, but he was ranked lower than Poehling ...

 

Pronman only ranked the top four on his list as "bubble elite", the others were at best "NHL All-Star".

 

Putting it another way, I doubt any of the names on that list will become “all stars,” other than Caufield (fingers crossed) and possibly Suzuki. The Habs’ prospect pool seems to be a bunch of Grade B and B-minus players, i.e., guys who will make the NHL but not light it up, particularly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Putting it another way, I doubt any of the names on that list will become “all stars,” other than Caufield (fingers crossed) and possibly Suzuki. The Habs’ prospect pool seems to be a bunch of Grade B and B-minus players, i.e., guys who will make the NHL but not light it up, particularly.

Yes, we have Caufield plus some non-star players (maybe middle-six or lower). There is some hope for top-pair upside on some of the younger ones such as Guhle or Harris, but certainly should not be confidence that this will happen.

 

But the reality is that this is what most teams' prospect pipelines look like. Not many have elite prospects, and certainly not many of them. Even Pronman only ranked four players (out of 160 or so) as elite/all-star bubble. And top draft picks are no guarantee: Beniers, Hischier and Kakko are all ranked below Suzuki.

 

Scott Wheeler is currently doing his series of team prospect pool rankings. He's at 26 right now (Washington); no sign of the Habs yet. We'll see how he ranks the team at this point, post-Bergevin. I give his rankings more credibility than to Pronman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Scott Wheeler is currently doing his series of team prospect pool rankings. He's at 26 right now (Washington); no sign of the Habs yet. We'll see how he ranks the team at this point, post-Bergevin. I give his rankings more credibility than to Pronman.

Agree Habs prospect pool likely average (just guess).

I have not a clue who would be most reliable prospect 'expert'; Pronman, Wheeler, Button, NHL.com guys, Commandant,...

 

I am sure some stats guy could fairly quickly come up with a way to compare old draft or projection rankings vs how they actually turned out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DON said:

Agree Habs prospect pool likely average (just guess).

I have not a clue who would be most reliable prospect 'expert'; Pronman, Wheeler, Button, NHL.com guys, Commandant,...

 

I am sure some stats guy could fairly quickly come up with a way to compare old draft or projection rankings vs how they actually turned out.

The struggles of the big club is a big indication of how little depth and talent we have in our prospect pool, when it comes to top 6 talent. Bad drafting and player development is a big result of this. It goes back to when we started to be contenders for the cup after Price, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Subban all made the jump to the NHL. We started trading away picks for players that never did workout and we never did draft and develop replacement players for aging players.  The effects of all that are felt especially now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...