2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Vigneult is another of the old school coaches that there has been a lot of noise about, and the fact that the flyers continue to regress, makes me question if he’s another coach who has not adjusted his style to suit the changes in the league and players.  I also question the sanity of a coach that would bring on a buffoon like Therrien as an assistant.

I agree people need to realize when thing coaching or GM other than the speaking French factor another big factor would have to be the fact they need to understand and use analytics. Gorton said that he is going to use it. So I would think all old school GM/coaching would be out of the running. It's going to be someone young that understands it and uses it. 

44 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I agree people need to realize when thing coaching or GM other than the speaking French factor another big factor would have to be the fact they need to understand and use analytics. Gorton said that he is going to use it. So I would think all old school GM/coaching would be out of the running. It's going to be someone young that understands it and uses it. 

The coach doesn't need to understand the details of the analytics, there will be a team for that. Willing to look at the analytics output and to incorporate it into the overall analysis process, yes.

But even Scotty Bowman uses analytics now, and he's 88. It's not the age, it's the willingness and ability to adapt as the game and the tools evolve.

16 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Benning hit the jackpot three times - four if we count Demko. That's four more than Timmins, at least since 2007.

Is it benning or is it judd bracket who was their version of timmins up to 2020 when he went to minnesota?

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Is it benning or is it judd bracket who was their version of timmins up to 2020 when he went to minnesota?

Good question. All I can say is, if Benning can’t claim to be an adroit drafter/developer, then he’s really got zilch to stand on as an NHL manager, because he utterly sucked at every other facet of the job.

14 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Vigneault and Therrien now fired, too. Former assistant Mike Yeo takes over -- not clear whether interim or permanent.

Interim but there isn't an active coaching search going on - that may be a rest of the season and we'll see from there type of promotion.

Is it safe to infer that Vigneault vaults to the top of the list of DD's successors? 

Is there a more plausible franco alternative?

What has been his track record with developing young players?

13 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Is it safe to infer that Vigneault vaults to the top of the list of DD's successors? 

Is there a more plausible franco alternative?

What has been his track record with developing young players?

Gorton already fired him once. I wonder what their relationship is like.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I see him more as a janitor

Wasn’t he a bouncer or something before getting into coaching. Looks like a meathead - fat meat head, but a meathead just the same.

So, the 'nucks hired Rutherford for essentially the same job that we got Gorton for. A different kind of a track record: three Cup wins (though he did inherit a strong team in Pittsburgh), but I don't think he ever really did a rebuild, at least not in the salary cap era.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

So, the 'nucks hired Rutherford for essentially the same job that we got Gorton for. A different kind of a track record: three Cup wins (though he did inherit a strong team in Pittsburgh), but I don't think he ever really did a rebuild, at least not in the salary cap era.

Habs and Canuckleheads are in different places organizationally despite both sucking rocks. Both hires make sense given those respective positions. That said, Rutherford’s job may in fact be different…Gorton will basically be acting GM with a glorified assistant, while, possibly, Rutherford may be more an actual team president. Otherwise put, the Canucks’ eventual GM choice may be more powerful than the Habs’. But who really knows.

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Habs and Canuckleheads are in different places organizationally despite both sucking rocks. Both hires make sense given those respective positions. That said, Rutherford’s job may in fact be different…Gorton will basically be acting GM with a glorified assistant, while, possibly, Rutherford may be more an actual team president. Otherwise put, the Canucks’ eventual GM choice may be more powerful than the Habs’. But who really knows.

Maybe not so different ... ONE of the rumours out there is the Sedins will take on the GM role under Rutherford's mentorship ... which could be an interesting structure ... co-GMs  ... one as GM and the other as A/Gm ... rotating GM and A/GM ... 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Maybe not so different ... ONE of the rumours out there is the Sedins will take on the GM role under Rutherford's mentorship ... which could be an interesting structure ... co-GMs  ... one as GM and the other as A/Gm ... rotating GM and A/GM ... 

There’s a wider question - one I’m not sure about - as to whether the GM and President roles are so very different when it comes to hockey decisions anyway. I’m sure the GM handles most of the phone calls and oversees the administrative stuff, but the President probably has as big a role in important decisions as he wants to have. So the lines between the two likely get very blurry, especially when you have a real hockey man in the President’s position.

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

There’s a wider question - one I’m not sure about - as to whether the GM and President roles are so very different when it comes to hockey decisions anyway. I’m sure the GM handles most of the phone calls and oversees the administrative stuff, but the President probably has as big a role in important decisions as he wants to have. So the lines between the two likely get very blurry, especially when you have a real hockey man in the President’s position.

Same as in any organization ... it all depends on the individuals.

Monday, December 13
Practice
LW C RW
68 - Mike Hoffman 14 - Nick Suzuki 85 - Mathieu Perreault
92 - Jonathan Drouin 71 - Jake Evans 40 - Joel Armia
62 - Artturi Lehkonen 25 - Ryan Poehling 22 - Cole Caufield
55 - Michael Pezzetta 13 - Cedric Paquette 45 Laurent Dauphin / 56 - Jesse Ylonen

#1 RW, doubt Perreault could of even dreamed of that at the start of year. :youpi:

At this point, if I were Ducharme, I would tell the players that icetime will now be allocated based on who is working hardest AND respecting the system ... talent earns certain privileges in terms of icetime (i.e., you don't bench talented players the first time they don't hustle) but at a certain point I've always felt that rewarding lack of effort with icetime just teaches players that they don't need to work hard or play within a system ... win or lose I want to see hard work.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic