Jump to content

2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread


tomh009
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I though one of the articles I read did that Bowman resigned- part of deal that he still gets a golden parachute.

 

We don't have the exact numbers, but yes this was a forced resignation. They came to an agreement where he took less than what he would get if fired, but not the zero he would get with a normal resignation.  Probably best for both the Hawks and Bowman to not drag this through further litigation with Bowman saying he was effectively forced to resign (ie fired) and should get his full contract and the Hawks saying they did it for cause and he gets nothing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

That's not quite the same as a ban, though.

 

That is true, but it also sorta isn't.  i.e. its highly unlikely that the NHL will ever permit Quenneville to have any position of power ever again.  ex:  they might eventually allow him to be a scout or another fairly minor position.  Its doubtful that the NHL would allow him to be President, VP, GM, Coach, or even their assistants.  

 

I can't help but wonder how MB escaped the fallout?  He was the Hawks Director of Player Personnel at that time, so it seems like his name should have come up in this fiasco.  It certainly appears like he is lying and playing dumb in the identical manner as Quenneville.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... I can't help but wonder how MB escaped the fallout?  He was the Hawks Director of Player Personnel at that time, so it seems like his name should have come up in this fiasco.  It certainly appears like he is lying and playing dumb in the identical manner as Quenneville.

Logically, if Assistant GM Cheveldayoff is somehow in the clear then Director of Player Personnel Bergevin (lower on the food chain) would likely be as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

 

That is true, but it also sorta isn't.  i.e. its highly unlikely that the NHL will ever permit Quenneville to have any position of power ever again.  ex:  they might eventually allow him to be a scout or another fairly minor position.  Its doubtful that the NHL would allow him to be President, VP, GM, Coach, or even their assistants.  

 

I can't help but wonder how MB escaped the fallout?  He was the Hawks Director of Player Personnel at that time, so it seems like his name should have come up in this fiasco.  It certainly appears like he is lying and playing dumb in the identical manner as Quenneville.

 

Berg was NOT  at the meeting. His job (despite the title) was mostly scouting opposing teams so he wasn't around the team or in the building often. He was a glorified scout until Chevy left and he became the new aGM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DON said:

Flames have won 6 in a row, didnt think they would do much this year.


I saw this season as either successful Sutter  hockey buy in and highly competitive team or a tire fire of mutiny.

Have been fortunate to see a lot of their games (on tv) and they are not just winning but playing well to get those wins. 
Obv Markstrom is on fire too, but the team is playing as tight unit of five with support all over this over.  They play up tempo and aggressive, but smart forecheck in all tho tee zones, always one forward above the puck in ozone. 
It is close to what Habs do when effective and think it’s what Ducharme wants (based on commentary/interviews), not being executed though. 

Flames are fun to watch and I am not a fan of the team per say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

It’s early, of course. But if it’s not a mirage, what explains it - ?

 

Sabres are doing pretty good too…

Goaltending

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

Flames are fun to watch and I am not a fan of the team per say.

Good to hear, not a fan of them; but rather see them do well, than a Dallas, Vegas or Aves i suppose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How bad would/will Habs be if Petry has to sit & heal before Edmundson is ready, even though he is done little so far.

8 - Ben Chiarot 27 - Alexander Romanov  
77 - Brett Kulak 58 - David Savard  
59 - Mattias Norlinder 20 - Chris Wideman / 15 - Sami Niku

29th PK

30th PP

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

 

Pezzatta cant hurt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DON said:

How bad would/will Habs be if Petry has to sit & heal before Edmundson is ready, even though he is done little so far.

8 - Ben Chiarot 27 - Alexander Romanov  
77 - Brett Kulak 58 - David Savard  
59 - Mattias Norlinder 20 - Chris Wideman / 15 - Sami Niku

29th PK

30th PP

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

 

Pezzatta cant hurt.

 

***IF*** Petry were to have to miss the next 10 games that defence might make us nostalgic for the 10 just passed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

 

***IF*** Petry were to have to miss the next 10 games that defence might make us nostalgic for the 10 just passed. 

 

Indeed. Petry is the Indispensable Man. Provided, that is, he plays like he has for the past few seasons, not like the non-factor he’s been this year.

 

It is quite ridiculous that an NHL roster should have exactly one regular D-man who can move the puck, but here we are…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DON said:

How bad would/will Habs be if Petry has to sit & heal before Edmundson is ready, even though he is done little so far.

8 - Ben Chiarot 27 - Alexander Romanov  
77 - Brett Kulak 58 - David Savard  
59 - Mattias Norlinder 20 - Chris Wideman / 15 - Sami Niku

29th PK

30th PP

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

 

Pezzatta cant hurt.

better than the options:

Ouellet, Belpedio, Fairbrother, Schueneman

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

better than the options:

Ouellet, Belpedio, Fairbrother, Schueneman

 

Alex I'll take "What is setting the bar ridiculously low" for two cents

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

 

 

 

Seems like L'Agent Provocateur may not be a Gary fan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It is quite ridiculous that an NHL roster should have exactly one regular D-man who can move the puck, but here we are…

By Clydesdale attrition (injuries) there are more now on any given night: Niku, Wideman, Kulak, Norlinder. Now, that's not to say any of them are top-pairing D-men ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, DON said:

... 29th PK

30th PP

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!
...

 

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

But that's all right because we are #1 in the number of penalties taken! 🙄

At the other extreme ... 32nd in face-off winning percentage (43.8)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

By Clydesdale attrition (injuries) there are more now on any given night: Niku, Wideman, Kulak, Norlinder. Now, that's not to say any of them are top-pairing D-men ...

 

It's not just that they're not top-pairing...it's that none of them are even regular roster players, with the possible exception of Kulak (whom the coaches nevertheless mpull out of the lineup at the first opportunity). What we have is Petry + a bunch of #6-8 puck movers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Seems like L'Agent Provocateur may not be a Gary fan.

 

Walsh takes every opportunity he can think of to complain about Bettman.  The bias is so extreme that I can't take anything he says seriously - there may be owners that are unhappy but I'll wait to hear it from someone that doesn't openly despise Bettman before actually believing it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Faceoffs matter the most on PP and PK. Otherwise ... well, you can make it up elsewhere. But on PP/PK possession is important.

 

And if we aren't winning faceoffs, it's going to hurt our PP and PK. Which are indeed hurting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...