Jump to content

Who will be our defencemen next season?


REV-G
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Wideman has a bad rep. But I don't think he's quite as atrocious as some people say. He does play protected minutes but he's not the only one. Let's look at the on-ice stats for the five D-men with ~50% (or higher offensiove-zone face-offs):

  • Clague: 2.59 GA/60, 3.17 xGA/60, 14.46 HDCA/60
  • Kulak: 3.02 GA/60, 2.37 xGA/60, 10.91 HDCA/60
  • Niku: 2.18 GA/60, 2.16 xGA/60, 9.83 HDCA/60
  • Schueneman: 2.10 GA/60, 3.39 xGA/60, 14.29 HDCA/60
  • Wideman: 2.81 GA/60, 2.62 xGA/60, 12.18 HDCA/60

There really isn't that much of a difference between those five ...

 

except for Wideman being the only RD

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually Wideman had some good plays in yesterday's game and seemed OK game overall. Not that i hope he is extended.

But, i suppose most #7 d-men are similar and some are opposite of him, can defend some but few puck skills and Wideman has been productive at least (32.8pt pace in limited role on team that dosent score much).:spamafote:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, DON said:

Actually Wideman had some good plays in yesterday's game and seemed OK game overall. Not that i hope he is extended.

But, i suppose most #7 d-men are similar and some are opposite of him, can defend some but few puck skills and Wideman has been productive at least (32.8pt pace in limited role on team that dosent score much).:spamafote:

Dang that is not bad, he really does get limited use (obv PP time tho too) but he hasn’t been a disappointment imo.

I don’t mind that he has some sandpaper too and is one of few guys who stick up for themselves/teammates.

He’s done it a couple times where I felt it was unwarranted but a few times where it gave team  a boost or showed camaraderie/willingness to stand up for the team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just for sharts and giggles.

Next season: 

 

Eddy-Petry

Romy-Baron

Guhle-Savard/Harris/Wideman. 
 

Optimistic prediction:

Petry returns to Norris caliber play and we have a legit top pair.  Maybe he then gets traded at deadline for a huge haul…

Romy hits his sweet spot, becomes the full time Tsar star we know is there.  
Guhle plays so well he has to be on the team and never looks back, he and Savard become a physical force to be feared.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keeping Petry and trading him at next year’s deadline actually makes considerable sense. He would represent exactly the sort of veteran insulation the young D need in order to develop properly.

 

This is likely all moot, unfortunately, since Petry has already made his trade request and has not shown himself to have the professionalism required to do his damned job properly when he is unhappy.

 

This being so, the likelier outcome is probably that we trade him this summer and sign a PK Subban-type as a downgrade replacement to eat minutes and move the puck, giving the youngsters room to breathe. It’s too bad.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DON said:

But, i suppose most #7 d-men are similar and some are opposite of him, can defend some but few puck skills and Wideman has been productive at least (32.8pt pace in limited role on team that dosent score much).:spamafote:

25 points and -18 for the season.

 

As a point of comparison, Dougie Hamilton, who was a popular UFA target here as I recall, is also playing on the third pair, and is at 28 points and -15 for the season. And has a $9M cap hit, for another six year yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

took a peek at upcoming RD UFAs compared to Petry's worst season, so see who may be available after Petry is traded.

 

Klingberg is so similar to what I expected out of Petry.... I do not know whom I would sign to replace Petry. List is ordered by TOI:

image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Several of those players aren't free agents - Jones, Parayko, Murphy, Ristolainen, and Pulock are all signed.

 

Subban, Letang, Stralman, Klingberg, Manson, Schultz, and Miller are the RD UFA's of some note this summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Klingberg would be great wearing a CH. But at the reputed eight years (taking him to age 37) and $8M AAV, I just don't see it happening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Klingberg would be great wearing a CH. But at the reputed eight years (taking him to age 37) and $8M AAV, I just don't see it happening.

 

I would give him $8M for 6 years (until he is 35) if and only if the Habs get rid of Petry. Swapping one for the other (unrelated trades, except for cap management).

I think he would be excellent at anchoring the RD position during the rebuild.

 

dlbalr already pointed out 4 out of the top 5 in that list are signed. I would rather keep Petry than sign any of the other UFA RDs available because of term. Petry's contract will expire at around the time the Habs would stop sucking/tanking or "developing" in the bottom third of the league

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

 

I would give him $8M for 6 years (until he is 35) if and only if the Habs get rid of Petry. Swapping one for the other (unrelated trades, except for cap management).

I think he would be excellent at anchoring the RD position during the rebuild.

 

dlbalr already pointed out 4 out of the top 5 in that list are signed. I would rather keep Petry than sign any of the other UFA RDs available because of term. Petry's contract will expire at around the time the Habs would stop sucking/tanking or "developing" in the bottom third of the league

 

 

I do not want Petry back ... even if his wife were to make a commitment to staying with him in Montreal, which I highly doubt, a severe Covid breakout with restrictions and I expect she is back to the US ... But I don't want to sign a top defacement long-term THIS summer either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Bring back Subban, man. 🤙

Not unless it’s for a $2.5m/1 yr deal, and Gallagher is gone. Don’t need a long term commitment, and definitely don’t need locker from drama when trying to build a young team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

 

I do not want Petry back ... even if his wife were to make a commitment to staying with him in Montreal, which I highly doubt, a severe Covid breakout with restrictions and I expect she is back to the US ... But I don't want to sign a top defacement long-term THIS summer either.

I don’t want him back, but I want a decent return. If we don’t get that, have him return, boast his trade value and try to move him at the deadline.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Not unless it’s for a $2.5m/1 yr deal, and Gallagher is gone. Don’t need a long term commitment, and definitely don’t need locker from drama when trying to build a young team.

 

I'm only being half-serious, but at this stage of his career Subban will not command a king's ransom; he's basically a #5 d-man who we'd be using in the top-4. Also, I don't think he is a source of "drama." He's a veteran and I never heard anything negative about him in NJ.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

I'm only being half-serious, but at this stage of his career Subban will not command a king's ransom; he's basically a #5 d-man who we'd be using in the top-4. Also, I don't think he is a source of "drama." He's a veteran and I never heard anything negative about him in NJ.

 

There is drama between him and Brendan Gallagher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm only being half-serious, but at this stage of his career Subban will not command a king's ransom; he's basically a #5 d-man who we'd be using in the top-4. 

 

I think you're being generous with that assessment.  In an ideal world, he's a #6 now.  He is a shell of the player he used to be with Montreal.

 

The name off my quick list that feels like a fit is Justin Schultz.  Ideally a 3rd pairing guy, can play 2nd pair if he had to, and fits as a complement to someone like Guhle on a 3rd pairing (that would probably play more than a typical 3rd pairing to offset the fact they don't really have a top pairing).  He'd also give them an offensive threat which is something they don't have a lot of, especially with Wideman being a pending UFA.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Bring back Subban, man. 🤙

 

Is there a way to delete someone else's post? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

I'm only being half-serious, but at this stage of his career Subban will not command a king's ransom; he's basically a #5 d-man who we'd be using in the top-4. Also, I don't think he is a source of "drama." He's a veteran and I never heard anything negative about him in NJ.

I don’t think he is the source Of drama, but it’s pretty clear Gallagher does NOT like Subban.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t think he is the source Of drama, but it’s pretty clear Gallagher does NOT like Subban.

 

For pity's sake...can't they be grown-ups? 🙄 Anyway, it's not like 2023 Subban would be a game changer. I just think we need veteran D for insulation and that it would be fun to see him back for a crepuscular bow, like Brisebois. But I agree that it almost certainly won't happen. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

For pity's sake...can't they be grown-ups? 🙄 Anyway, it's not like 2023 Subban would be a game changer. I just think we need veteran D for insulation and that it would be fun to see him back for a crepuscular bow, like Brisebois. But I agree that it almost certainly won't happen. 

we have Lagesson and Wideman to insulate the yout'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

For pity's sake...can't they be grown-ups? 🙄 Anyway, it's not like 2023 Subban would be a game changer. I just think we need veteran D for insulation and that it would be fun to see him back for a crepuscular bow, like Brisebois. But I agree that it almost certainly won't happen. 

 

Not often I learn a new word ... GREAT choice and thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...