Jump to content

Sean Monahan to Habs


 Share

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... Then Hughes will flip MonaHabs in a sign a trade deal with NYI for Romy, a 1st (or Beauvillier), and possibly 1 of their goalies ...

 

MonaHabs?   Monahan?  He has a contract, so no need to sign ... NYIs are focused on making playoffs (and they 🤞 beyond), so a centre coming off two bad seasons, two years with hip surgeries and starting the year on LTIR is an unlikely trade target ... ***if*** they want to add a centre, Dvorak seems like the only Hab they might be interested in (since Suzuki is a no-go from the get-go).
 

11 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... no cap space, and the NYI have yet to sign Romanov for the same reason ...

 

NYIs have a bit over $11M in cap space ... rumours I seen are that Romanov and Dobson have agreed to contracts that have just not been announced, and the need to clear cap space was related to also signing Kadri
 

11 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... Thats also why it would be so funny if the Habs manage pulling off getting Romy back ...

 

I read at the time of the Romanov trade that the reason he was moved is that HuGo et al don't have a very high opinion of him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Commandant pointed out that Monahan is expected to be out until about Christmas.  So the Habs are starting the season with 4 centers, with no need to address this issue until December.

Hughes mentioned November ... but conceptually the same difference ... and if necessary, centres can always flip to the wing ... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

He didn't impress when he was with the Habs, though, so I am less optimistic of him being ready for the NHL anytime soon.

 

I tend to agree with you ... .868 Sv% in 12 games with the Habs ... in 33 games with Laval .909 ... so a 14 game hot streak (.936) is impressive because it was in the playoffs but not something I take as proof he will soon be NHL ready ... hopefully he carries it over to the 22-23 season with the Rocket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

Let's not forget that Primeau progressed nicely in Laval last year. One more year(or maybe a half season) in Laval and he might be ready for the big show!

 

Yeah, whatever. I’ll believe in Primeau as a #1G when I see it and not one second before 🙄 He has never shown the slightest whiff in his NHL stints.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

HuGo now has the following centres:

 

Suzuki

Dvorak 

Monahan

Dach

Evans

 

Are we starting the season with 5 centres? Sure we can move centres to the wing but we have lots of wingers too. 
 

Surely there is more coming

 

It wouldn't hurt to have Dach on a line with another centre to hedge against the faceoff concerns so I don't think they have any issues with having five in the lineup.

 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Hughes mentioned November ... but conceptually the same difference ... and if necessary, centres can always flip to the wing ... 

 

In Brad Treliving's presser yesterday, he said he expects Monahan to be ready to start the season.  I think he's going to be back early in the year if not at the start.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

HuGo now has the following centres:

 

Suzuki

Dvorak 

Monahan

Dach

Evans

 

Are we starting the season with 5 centres? Sure we can move centres to the wing but we have lots of wingers too. 
 

Surely there is more coming

Monohan is not above Dach - probably won’t start the season. I HOPE he will come back and show he is worth someone giving up a 1st for him, but he has been a shell of the guy who came into the league with Gaudreau. It’s a lot to hope for forom a guy who had double hip surgery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Monohan is not above Dach - probably won’t start the season. I HOPE he will come back and show he is worth someone giving up a 1st for him, but he has been a shell of the guy who came into the league with Gaudreau. It’s a lot to hope for forom a guy who had double hip surgery.


I agree that Dach is ahead of Monahan but Monahan had some good seasons and if he comes back in November and plays with decent wingers (we have some good options), He could put up some great numbers in our presumably offensive minded system. 
 

That’s my hope anyway 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

It wouldn't hurt to have Dach on a line with another centre to hedge against the faceoff concerns so I don't think they have any issues with having five in the lineup.

- - - - -

In Brad Treliving's presser yesterday, he said he expects Monahan to be ready to start the season.  I think he's going to be back early in the year if not at the start.

 

In his presser, Monahan seemed to imply he wants/hopes to be back as soon as possible but also accepted he doesn't want to rush ... I wonder:

  • How much the latter was respectful of his new GM having mentioned a November target
  • Whether Hughes mentioning November was based on medical advice or just wanting to temper expectations; and
  • Would it be less stressful on Monahan's hips to let him at least start on the wing?  Centres seem to have more defensive responsibility, which entails more skating.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

69E3231E-B8AE-4470-8B51-EB7B263DC0E5.jpeg
 

We look like a good team..,at forward anyway 🤔

 

Ironically, yes. It’s a good, deep FW unit with a nice blend of youth and experience. It is affixed to a tire-fire of a D, though, and mediocre G. (You really realize how much the loss of Romanov hurts when you see the depth chart). I’m expecting a lot of fire wagon hockey, with a few big 6-5 victories and quite a number of blowout losses from a team that promises to be both bad and entertaining.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Ironically, yes. It’s a good, deep FW unit with a nice blend of youth and experience. It is affixed to a tire-fire of a D, though, and mediocre G. (You really realize how much the loss of Romanov hurts when you see the depth chart). I’m expecting a lot of fire wagon hockey, with a few big 6-5 victories and quite a number of blowout losses from a team that promises to be both bad and entertaining.

I’d say there will probably be a lot of blow out losses and 6-5 type of games - wins and losses. We have decent offensive potential, but unproven defence and crap goaltending.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Monohan is not above Dach - 

Not sure who this Monohan fella you refer to is.:ph34r:

 

Just grinding your gears 29...

 

If Monahan is 100% healthy might be better to play him 2nd/3rd line centre (for trade value also) but along with Dvorak and Dach, who is better or will get more icetime will be interesting to see. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dislike our D and goaltending. Hopefully Matheson surprises however even then, as I expect him to do well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Yeah, whatever. I’ll believe in Primeau as a #1G when I see it and not one second before 🙄 He has never shown the slightest whiff in his NHL stints.

His lateral movement is his biggest issue that I see. He has a habit of sliding past his post when moving across. Not giving up on him yet, but so far he is a good AHL goalie. Not NHL caliper. He has a long way to go to be an NHL starter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A good line from Calgary's GM on how the conditions came about:

 

“We’re trying to give up the worst pick we can and they’re trying to get the best pick they can. So there’s just a ton of profanity back and forth and then you keep putting in different layers. So that sort of sums it up."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

His lateral movement is his biggest issue that I see. He has a habit of sliding past his post when moving across. Not giving up on him yet, but so far he is a good AHL goalie. Not NHL caliper. He has a long way to go to be an NHL starter. 

 

Thanks for the analysis, 👍

 

49th in AHL save % hardly suggests the second coming of Carey Price.

 

Interesting to note, as well, absolutely no statistical improvement; he’s been at .909 for each of his AHL seasons. Save percentage isn’t everything, but that flat line bothers me from a 23-year-old.

 

To my mind, the question with Primeau is whether he will ever become more than a marginal NHLer. There seems to be absolutely zero grounds for thinking he will become an impact goalie in the NHL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Thanks for the analysis, 👍

 

49th in AHL save % hardly suggests the second coming of Carey Price.

 

Interesting to note, as well, absolutely no statistical improvement; he’s been at .909 for each of his AHL seasons. Save percentage isn’t everything, but that flat line bothers me from a 23-year-old.

 

To my mind, the question with Primeau is whether he will ever become more than a marginal NHLer. There seems to be absolutely zero grounds for thinking he will become an impact goalie in the NHL.


I agree, from what I’ve seen, Primeau and Montembeault have similar potential at the NHL level. With no proven goaltender development expertise among the staff, it doesn’t seem to be an area of concern for Hugh-Gort at this moment 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

A good line from Calgary's GM on how the conditions came about:

 

“We’re trying to give up the worst pick we can and they’re trying to get the best pick they can. So there’s just a ton of profanity back and forth and then you keep putting in different layers. So that sort of sums it up."

 

Brad Treliving is the man! Chill forever!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

His lateral movement is his biggest issue that I see. He has a habit of sliding past his post when moving across. Not giving up on him yet, but so far he is a good AHL goalie. Not NHL caliper. He has a long way to go to be an NHL starter. 

 

While true, I have to point out that Price was somewhat prone to that too back when started with the Habs.   I believe Primeau's pads looked to be brand new which could be part of why he would slide so much.  i.e. worked in scuffed up pads wouldn't slide as much. 

 

Everything I have seen suggests that Monahan should be playing at the beginning of the season or at least in the 1st month. 

 

On other sites I've seen people suggesting that Monahan wont be the same player ever again with Kesler and Backstrom being mentioned as proof.  However, that comparison is incorrect because they are different hip operations.  If that were true then the Bruins are in big trouble considering Pasternak and Marchand have had the same operation as Monahan. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I agree, from what I’ve seen, Primeau and Montembeault have similar potential at the NHL level. With no proven goaltender development expertise among the staff, it doesn’t seem to be an area of concern for Hugh-Gort at this moment 

Eric Raymond is still part of the team, so I wouldn't say that they have no proven development expertise at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

 

While true, I have to point out that Price was somewhat prone to that too back when started with the Habs.   I believe Primeau's pads looked to be brand new which could be part of why he would slide so much.  i.e. worked in scuffed up pads wouldn't slide as much. 

 

Everything I have seen suggests that Monahan should be playing at the beginning of the season or at least in the 1st month. 

 

On other sites I've seen people suggesting that Monahan wont be the same player ever again with Kesler and Backstrom being mentioned as proof.  However, that comparison is incorrect because they are different hip operations.  If that were true then the Bruins are in big trouble considering Pasternak and Marchand have had the same operation as Monahan. 

 

Great point, but Monahan has had something like five different surgeries in the past three seasons. Groin, recurring wrist issues, herniated discs, two separate hip surgeries: https://thewincolumn.ca/2022/04/03/breaking-down-sean-monahans-injury-history-and-what-happens-next/

 

I’m not a (medical) doctor, but there does seem to be a point at which a player’s body has simply taken too much punishment to be able to bounce fully back. This guy was an excellent, impact player whose body just could not handle the NHL grind. It’s telling that when he was fully healthy in 2019-20, his numbers were down to 48 points from the PPG production he achieved at his peak. Indeed, right where most players are rounding into their top form, around their mid-20s, he started to crater.

 

I would say that, if he can get back to that level - 45-50 points - and avoid further injury, that’d be a HUGE bonus for the Habs in terms of turning him into a desirable deadline flip. More likely, he will stumble through yet another injury-plagued campaign and be a marginal factor. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It does not scream Vézina or President’s cup (less goals against?)

If that's your criterion, no. But winning one of those doesn't mean that you developed their skills internally. Raymond's tenure aligns nicely with Georgiev's career development, though.

 

I'm not saying he is the best in the business, but I do think he knows something about goalie development. And since Hugo have not yet hired anyone else in this area, maybe they think that Raymond has some expertise here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...