Trade Deadline 2023 - Friday, March 3rd, 3pm EST

Neech

Polls for the People  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should we trade Anderson for a big return (i.e. 1st rounder + good prospect and salary filler)?

• Trade him
    • Keep him
  2. 2. Will we find a taker for any of these mediocre forwards?

• Hoffman
    • Dadonov
    • Drouin
    • Armia
  3. 3. Will we get a 1st rounder for Monahan or Edmonston?

• 1st for both
    • 1st for Eddy
    • 1st for Monahan
    • Neither

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

In fairness to them, it was pre-ROR trade ... I assume you mean reinforce Tampa.

Exactly 

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Did they really get better?  Toronto’s issue has been their shaky defence core.  Arguably, their strength is at center.  So the reinforced their strength, didn’t address their weakness, and further cap strapped themselves.

They filled a need with this deal.  Yes, their strength is down the middle but they desperately needed another top-six-calibre player.  They have five top-six guys and then their next most-used forward was David Kampf.  Acciari gives them a physical guy that can also kill penalties. 

It's also a matter of who they're going against.  Tampa has Point and Stamkos as their top two guys with Cirelli as their 3C sometimes (Nick Paul is also there with some regularity).  Then it's Boston with Bergeron, Krejci, and Zacha.  They needed a third capable centre to line up with what would be their first two playoff opponents.

19 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It’s interesting that the 32 Thoughts segment of HNIC believes that Montreal will have a quiet deadline 

Drouin and Dadonov will be very quiet deals if made ... because of their injuries, Monahan and Edmundson will require a GM to be desperate to make a deal of any significance ... but those sometimes exist on deadline day ... IMO the best chance (at the moment) for "noise" (i.e., significant return) would be a team deciding they want Anderson or Savard ... I am ***not*** saying either will be traded, or that HuGo would deal them; just that they are the assets that could make noise ... Allen or Montembeault being dealt (see italicized above) would create a lot of reaction in the fanbase but not necessarily a significant return.

48 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It’s interesting that the 32 Thoughts segment of HNIC believes that Montreal will have a quiet deadline 

I think it's starting to head that way.  Edmundson won't bring back the type of return they're looking for with his back trouble so he's probably off the table.  If Monahan gets back, maybe there's a chance but I think they could be leaning toward a one-year extension and try again next year with a more affordable deal, especially with some of the first-rounders that were likely to be moved gone already.  Maybe they get something really small for Dadonov and unless they're able to create some cap space, the third-party retention could be difficult, especially if Monahan stays.

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I think it's starting to head that way.  Edmundson won't bring back the type of return they're looking for with his back trouble so he's probably off the table.  If Monahan gets back, maybe there's a chance but I think they could be leaning toward a one-year extension and try again next year with a more affordable deal, especially with some of the first-rounders that were likely to be moved gone already.  Maybe they get something really small for Dadonov and unless they're able to create some cap space, the third-party retention could be difficult, especially if Monahan stays.

I agree with you, but I still hope the Habs trade away for late picks instead of loosing the expiring UFAs for nothing.

I am probably in the minority, but I hope Laval gets some help for a playoff push. The Habs three 4th draft picks and two 5th draft picks in 2023. Shueneman, Belzile, Bowey have expiring contracts. I hope they get rid of Dadonov, Drouin for some AHL help

13 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It’s kind of depressing. We were so well-positioned to reap significant assets on guys like Monahan and Edmundson, but injuries have ruined that. 🤮 We took a worthwhile flyer on Dandonov but he has been so terrible that no team will surrender anything for him. Hoffman *miiight* get a sniff if he were on an expiring deal, but no GM in his right mind is picking up that contract for next year.

Drouin has at least had the good grace to get hot at a convenient time, but his body of work over a decade is so insipid that GMs surely know they cannot count on him to answer the bell in the playoffs. Maybe a 5th round pick if we get lucky?

Blech. The deadline was pretty much all we had to look forward to in this dismal second half, but there’s no longer any grounds for optimism about it. The only real flare of hope would be a major return for Josh Anderson.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s kind of depressing. We were so well-positioned to reap significant assets on guys like Monahan and Edmundson, but injuries have ruined that. 🤮 We took a worthwhile flyer on Dandonov but he has been so terrible that no team will surrender anything for him. Hoffman *miiight* get a sniff if he were on an expiring deal, but no GM in his right mind is picking up that contract for next year.

Drouin has at least had the good grace to get hot at a convenient time, but his body of work over a decade is so insipid that GMs surely know they cannot count on him to answer the bell in the playoffs. Maybe a 5th round pick if we get lucky?

Blech. The deadline was pretty much all we had to look forward to in this dismal second half, but there’s no longer any grounds for optimism about it. The only real flare of hope would be a major return for Josh Anderson.

I put some of the blame with the coaching staff which overplayed the tradeable assets for no freaking reason. St-Louis and Hughes are learning but - for heaven's sake- we are not CBJ!

ROR off the market ... Now Jonathan Toews, with his 63% Faceoff%, is an unknown entity for the rest of this season:

And Monahan HAS TO BE injured ... sigh

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

ROR off the market ... Now Jonathan Toews, with his 63% Faceoff%, is an unknown entity for the rest of this season:

And Monahan HAS TO BE injured ... sigh

In fairness the only reason we got him is because he's always injured.

43 minutes ago, Neech said:

That's true but it is really too bad he is hurt, with ROR traded and Toews off the market his value would be at a high level now.  

Some teams were concerned about Patrick Kane's hip. It didn't look too bad today (3G 1A). 

46 minutes ago, Neech said:

That’s why I wouldn’t want to sign him to a one year deal unless it is less than a $3m deal, and hope that he is healthy and productive enough next year that someone will be willing to give a good price for 50% retention. Not all that confident that he can stay heathy. I really like Monohan the player but he’s a made of glass now. 

16 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

That’s why I wouldn’t want to sign him to a one year deal unless it is less than a $3m deal, and hope that he is healthy and productive enough next year that someone will be willing to give a good price for 50% retention. Not all that confident that he can stay heathy. I really like Monohan the player but he’s a made of glass now. 

I doubt he’ll command more than $3 mil and longer than one year. It makes sense for all parties that he try again next year. 

23 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Players with "term" (contract beyond this year) that I wish they would trade ($13.262M off from salary cap):

image.png

Hat was the thought process of excluding Gallagher - other than he has probably one of the most untradeable contracts in the league?

37 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

scoring from expiring UFAs that will probably not resign with Montreal (if we include Byron, it is $21.775M off from salary cap):

image.png

Monahan may well return on a short contract. Maybe. And Belzile/Schueneman in Laval.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Hat was the thought process of excluding Gallagher - other than he has probably one of the most untradeable contracts in the league?

Gallagher is untradeable

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Monahan may well return on a short contract. Maybe. And Belzile/Schueneman in Laval.

I doubt Monahan re-signs with Montreal. There are better markets for him to sign a short contract, fiscally and where the team is in its rebuild/cup-window cycle

24 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I doubt Monahan re-signs with Montreal. There are better markets for him to sign a short contract, fiscally and where the team is in its rebuild/cup-window cycle

Not everyone is going to be keen to sign him, given his injury history and the team's current roster.

48 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Gallagher is untradeable

I think Hoffman and Armia are probably also untradeable.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think Hoffman and Armia are probably also untradeable.

I have a feeling Armia could still attract nibbles from some moronic, size-obsessed GM. It helps that he looked pretty good in the Run of 21. But there’d probably have to be some mitigation efforts to make the deal work (salary retention, taking back a bad deal, something like that).

We can probably dump Hoffman for a 5th rounder at the deadline next year when his contract is expiring. 

56 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Depends on if he wants to move his family, one year after already doing so. 

Also depends on what kind of ice time he is going to see. 

if the goal is a one year deal to rebuild your value, there are worse options than re-signing with a team where you already produced and whose coach is comfortable giving you minutes as seen earlier in the year.  Its a devil you know scenario. 

Plus you can ask for an NTC which means you get control of which contender you go to at the deadline. 

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

You might be right. I think a lot depends on whether he can get on the ice this season and perform well.  If that happens then he will likely get better offers.  

Going into next season they will have just over $13M contracts for players who won't play (Weber and Bryan Little) ... so, based on the current roster, the 'Yotes will only need to have about $47M-ish in active players AAV to meet the 23-24 cap floor (plus whatever cap increase occurs) ... Weber & Little will only cost them $4.75M in actual salary ... it will be interesting to see if they make any other moves for dead-weight contracts this off-season if they manage to move Chykrun.