Summer 2023 Off-season

DON

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I am excited to see Slafkovsky play. 

Then your getting the AHL TV package to watch Laval play I assume?:nuts:

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Price has to go on LTIR ... that means that any of the $4.21M in potential bonuses for this season that are earned would carry-over and count against next season's cap,

The bonus carryover has been ongoing for some years now so it's nothing new, 2023-2024 won't be any worse in that regard than 2022-2023 or 2021-2022. Not a really critical issue, I think.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The bonus carryover has been ongoing for some years now so it's nothing new, 2023-2024 won't be any worse in that regard than 2022-2023 or 2021-2022. Not a really critical issue, I think.

But it does waste cap space next season, just as it has every other time ... didn't say it was critical, but it is a consequence of Gallagher, Hoffman and Armia's useless (IMO) contracts.

It’s really a consequence oh $10M on LTIR. It shifts the bonuses to the following year, so last season’s cap had to cover the 2021-22 bonuses insteaf of the 2022-23 bonuses, and this year we’ll have the 2022-23 bonuses instead of the 2023-24 ones.

The net difference now is not much, but in the first year without LTIR there will be double bonuses to pay.

16 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Habs are currently over the $82.5M cap ceiling ... This season Gallagher's contract pretty much guarantees that, absent trades/waiver-losses, Price has to go on LTIR ... that means that any of the $4.21M in potential bonuses for this season that are earned would carry-over and count against next season's cap, that the Habs cannot accrue any cap space to potentially use at the deadline and that roster/cap management is more complicated throughout the season (e.g., have to pretty much be at $93M in total AAV to start the season to maximize Price's LTIR).

Going forward it restricts what HuGo could potentially spend on UFAs.

A bad contract is always a bad contract ... Gallagher has to (a) stay healthy and (b) get back to at least 20 goals and 60 points to change that (IMO).

Yes but we aren't contending and don't have contracts that will really test our cap.

My point was people won't be hating on him too hard because it doesn't really matter. he will still work incredibly hard and be a great leader on the third line till he can't play anymore.

Meanwhile guys like Armia and Hoffmann are overpaid, don't bring intangible elements, and are preventing young guys.

I just hope we don't turn on Gally over his contract when we aren't even competing.

11 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Yeah and it's fine to take those hits in years we are rebuilding and not competing for a playoff spot.

Im sure that HuGo would love am extra 4 m in space in the year they want to ramp.things up and start pushing for the playoffs.

They will also like to be out of LTIR to accumulate space for.a deadline deal that year. (Likely 2024-25)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plutarch said:

Yes but we aren't contending and don't have contracts that will really test our cap.

My point was people won't be hating on him too hard because it doesn't really matter. he will still work incredibly hard and be a great leader on the third line till he can't play anymore.

Meanwhile guys like Armia and Hoffmann are overpaid, don't bring intangible elements, and are preventing young guys.

I just hope we don't turn on Gally over his contract when we aren't even competing.

I do not understand the recent hate on Gallagher.

He seems to be trending in the same direction as Andrew Shaw, Byron, Weber, : a hardworking, selfless competitor, who puts his body on the line if it helps the team win.

Anderson, Dach, Guhle seem to be the same type of player.

Armia, Hoffman, are not.

15 hours ago, DON said:

Then your getting the AHL TV package to watch Laval play I assume?:nuts:

No! Please God NO! 

I want to be entertained and Ylonen ain’t gonna do it. 

12 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He seems to be trending in the same direction as Andrew Shaw, Byron, Weber, : a hardworking, selfless competitor, who puts his body on the line if it helps the team win.

Armia, Hoffman, are not.

My gripe against Gallagher is his constant bull crap of engaging in nonsense with his opponents. 

How many times is Gallagher lying on the ice poking and prodding some Dman while the play is up the ice and our opponent is creating scoring chances? 

Pezzetta works his ass off but is never engaged in that kind of nonsense. He is involved in the play but isn’t busy screwing around. 

48 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I don't think it's hate, it shouldn't be hate as he is a guy who gives 100% all the time as you mentioned. I think it's more frustration that a good chunk of our cap space is being used up by a guy past his prime. 

Hopefully he can stay healthy, score 20 goals and it won't seem quite as bad. I think that is the best we can hope for as he is untradeable without a lot of sweeteners. Maybe that is wishful thinking. 

What people hate is Gallagher's ridiculous contract. 

He is three seasons removed from being a reliable and effective contributor, yet he is under contract until 2027 on a massive 6.5 cap hit. 

I suspect there is a whole lot more anti-Gallagher sentiment in our future.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Armia, Hoffman, are not.

I don't think anyone hates Gallagher, it's a poorly aging contract, which most people figured would be the case the moment it was inked. While Gallagher is not the same type of player as Armia and Hoffman, he is equally a cap hit that is not commensurate with his play at this point.

Anyway, Hoffman was only behind Suzuki, Caufield, and Dach in scoring last season. I'm honestly baffled why he has been singled out as as issue for the roster. Signed for another few years? Sure, that would suck. But he's on an expiring contract. He's not keeping anyone significant out of the lineup. We as fans always talk about rushing guys to the NHL, but then complain when 19 year old Joshua Roy may not get an opportunity because of Hoffman. 

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What people hate is Gallagher's ridiculous contract. 

He is three seasons removed from being a reliable and effective contributor, yet he is under contract until 2027 on a massive 6.5 cap hit. 

This contract ... yes, Gallagher signed it, but can one really blame him for doing that, if the GM is offering that to him? Same goes for Alzner, Drouin, Hoffman, Armia etc -- don't blame the player for the contract, blame the management team.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

No! Please God NO! 

I want to be entertained and Ylonen ain’t gonna do it.

Have you ever seen Ylonen on a power play? His shot is certainly entertaining, and he's scored more than a goal or two with it.

Unless you don't find Caufield entertaining, either ...

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Have you ever seen Ylonen on a power play? His shot is certainly entertaining, and he's scored more than a goal or two with it.

Unless you don't find Caufield entertaining, either ...

I am excited, anticipatory, and on the edge of my seat every time Caufield touches the puck and I almost expect a goal every time. 

I kind of get the same feelings when Slafkovsky has the puck in the Ozone. Not that I expect him to score every time but I’m excited by the opportunity. 

I just don’t get anything like that with Ylonen. Maybe I will this season 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

This contract ... yes, Gallagher signed it, but can one really blame him for doing that, if the GM is offering that to him? Same goes for Alzner, Drouin, Hoffman, Armia etc -- don't blame the player for the contract, blame the management team.

Very fair, but the problem is that a player whose contract is a boat anchor is actively hurting the team. So it's not surprising that fans grow negative toward such players. That's just reality in a cap world...and frankly, if a player can't handle that, then he probably should moderate his contractual demands when negotiating. 

Gallagher made 3 million when he was producing at a 6 million pace. Now he's doing the inverse. Every team has a bad contract. His doesn't bother me too much because there's always that chance he starts producing again.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Gallagher made 3 million when he was producing at a 6 million pace. Now he's doing the inverse. Every team has a bad contract. His doesn't bother me too much because there's always that chance he starts producing again.

I believe Gallagher’s path to redemption lies in what St. Louis said about him. 

Something like ~ Gallagher needs to stop being a warrior every shift. He doesn’t need to sacrifice himself like this and it’s holding him back. 

I wouldn’t mind seeing Gallagher with Anderson for several games because Anderson takes a lot of the agro away due to his hard play and savage play style. 

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

He produced at a $6M pace for two seasons, and is getting paid it for six.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

He produced at a $6M pace for two seasons, and is getting paid it for six.

Yeah, I don’t accept the idea that we all owe some colossal debt of gratitude to Gally such that we should all overlook his absurd contract. He was a terrific player in his heyday, but it’s not like he led us to a Cup, was a generational player, or anything of the sort. I don’t see that he did anything that warrants our carrying around a contractual piano on our backs for years to come. It’s a terrible contract that doesn’t hurt us right now, but could become a real problem if the team becomes good within a couple of years. Hopefully Gally will recover his form for at least one of those seasons.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, I don’t accept the idea that we all owe some colossal debt of gratitude to Gally such that we should all overlook his absurd contract. He was a terrific player in his heyday, but it’s not like he led us to a Cup, was a generational player, or anything of the sort. I don’t see that he did anything that warrants our carrying around a contractual piano on our backs for years to come. It’s a terrible contract that doesn’t hurt us right now, but could become a real problem if the team becomes good within a couple of years. Hopefully Gally will recover his form for at least one of those seasons.

Two things here.

1).management should do all they can within reason to move him

2) i cant be mad at gallagher who gives his heart and soul every night for taking the money offered to him

Both things can be true 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Two things here.

1).management should do all they can within reason to move him

2) i cant be mad at gallagher who gives his heart and soul every night for taking the money offered to him

Both things can be true 

No, no - I’m not mad at him. I’m just saying that a narrative of negativity is going to grow around him over time, and that it will be reasonable by fans. He will be spoken of as a guy we have to get rid of.

I never blame a player for taking the money. But with that wealth comes a responsibility to produce, and if you’re not producing, you’re going to get fan backlash. It is what it is.

15 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As there would be with Carey if he weren't on LTIR, which is probably the best option for Gally at some point soon.

19 hours ago, huzer said:

Anyway, Hoffman was only behind Suzuki, Caufield, and Dach in scoring last season. I'm honestly baffled why he has been singled out as as issue for the roster. Signed for another few years? Sure, that would suck. But he's on an expiring contract. He's not keeping anyone significant out of the lineup. We as fans always talk about rushing guys to the NHL, but then complain when 19 year old Joshua Roy may not get an opportunity because of Hoffman. 

It's not a 19 old Roy that he's taking a spot from. It's 23 Ylonen or 24 RHP. RHP probably will start the season in the AHL because of Hoffman existing.

He'll need offensive minutes to boost value when one of these heading into their prime could prove themselves instead.

He doesn't really help his teammates produce.

He doesn't do anything on defense.

Plays with the intensity of a slug.

Basically just bad modelling for a player like Caufield who's best weapon is also his shot.