Summer 2023 Off-season

DON

3 minutes ago, Peter Puck said:

We should be able to claim one and then trade him to a team lower in the waiver claim priority.

You can't trade the player you pick up on waivers, until after you offer him (via waivers) to any other teams that put in a claim. 

3 minutes ago, Peter Puck said:

We should be able to claim one and then trade him to a team lower in the waiver claim priority.

Before trading him the Habs would have to offer him to any other teams that also claimed him on the initial waivers ... for the low, low price of the waiver fee.

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Seriously, what a tool

It’s almost like a compulsion - he HAS to be an all-controlling bully and can’t function without it. The idea that your boss can just commandeer your private cell phone and see what’s on it, in order to form judgements about what kind of person you are, is such a preposterous abuse of employer power as to be practically antediluvian. Good riddance to that POS.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

You would think he had learned something over the years. Probably more to this story than what we see.  Who will hire him now?  Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice........

There is a lot more to the story.  It went from a big deal, to the Blue Jackets and their players trying to put it out and everything seemed fine.  Then out of nowhere the NHLPA had an emergency meeting about some new things they found out.  The next day it was reported the Blue Jackets were told there wasn't a path forward with Babcock.  From the Blue Jackets statement it sounded like they told Babcock he had to resign, so it wasn't Babcock's choice.

The only question is are we going to get the full story.  The answer is probably not.

15 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

There is a lot more to the story.  It went from a big deal, to the Blue Jackets and their players trying to put it out and everything seemed fine.  Then out of nowhere the NHLPA had an emergency meeting about some new things they found out.  The next day it was reported the Blue Jackets were told there wasn't a path forward with Babcock.  From the Blue Jackets statement it sounded like they told Babcock he had to resign, so it wasn't Babcock's choice.

The only question is are we going to get the full story.  The answer is probably not.

I really don't remember the players union being this engaged before.

Am I right in that?

Or perhaps things normally are done quietly because players also don't want a media circus.

5 hours ago, Plutarch said:

I really don't remember the players union being this engaged before.

Am I right in that?

Or perhaps things normally are done quietly because players also don't want a media circus.

In this case it's a team representative crossing the line as to what's acceptable to expect from players.  That is something that would cause NHLPA would step in, as the NHLPA's responsibility is to represent the players vs the league.  You are also correct that normally these things are kept under pretty tight wraps, but the story broke to media before anyone could really dig into it. 

On 7/4/2023 at 2:02 PM, tomh009 said:

I will say that turning Galchenyuk into Anderson (via Domi) was some astute trading by Bergevin, the Habs came out as solid winners from that sequence.

Late on this, but so far,  I wouldn't call getting a player that haven't put up more than 32 pts per season as a Habs "coming out as solid winners"...

21 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Late on this, but so far,  I wouldn't call getting a player that haven't put up more than 32 pts per season as a Habs "coming out as solid winners"...

but he is so good in "the room" 😜

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

but he is so good in "the room" 😜

😝

I always liked Bowman's comment: "if he's good in the room, he should stay there."

But I honestly see Anderson as a very rare case of a players whose contributions ON THE ICE go way beyond his points totals. First of all, he has zero playmaking skill - granted. He is laughable on that one dimension. But in every other facet of the game he runs from being merely good to being an absolute beast. Brutal to play against along the boards. Wins loads of battles. Mean SOB. Carves guys up on the regular without drawing penalties. Good heat-seeking missile speed. Hard to contain streaking in from the outside, a headache for D in the O-zone. And a good shot, decent goal-scoring instincts.

I'm pretty sure he's one of those guys that opponents groan about having the play against.

So yeah, I like him. I'd rather have him than Mr. Erratic, No-Defence Domi; and obviously he is about 200 000X the player Galchenyuk is.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

😝

I always liked Bowman's comment: "if he's good in the room, he should stay there."

But I honestly see Anderson as a very rare case of a players whose contributions ON THE ICE go way beyond his points totals. First of all, he has zero playmaking skill - granted. He is laughable on that one dimension. But in every other facet of the game he runs from being merely good to being an absolute beast. Brutal to play against along the boards. Wins loads of battles. Mean SOB. Carves guys up on the regular without drawing penalties. Good heat-seeking missile speed. Hard to contain streaking in from the outside, a headache for D in the O-zone. And a good shot, decent goal-scoring instincts.

I'm pretty sure he's one of those guys that opponents groan about having the play against.

So yeah, I like him. I'd rather have him than Mr. Erratic, No-Defence Domi; and obviously he is about 200 000X the player Galchenyuk is.

Agreed, his contributions go beyond his point totals.  Plus he always plays well against the Leafs which is important. 

I remember a while back you referred to Anderson as a "high speed bulldozer". I always remembered that post because I love that characterization.  It describes Anderson perfectly. 

I think Anderson might still be turned into a 1st rounder + prospect at this deadline or the next. With a (finally) rising cap, he's the type of guy who can put a contender over the hump and his age doesn't really fit with our young core. He also will likely become a bit of millstone once he loses a step, so it'd be best to move off him while his value is still high.

20 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agreed, his contributions go beyond his point totals.  Plus he always plays well against the Leafs which is important. 

I remember a while back you referred to Anderson as a "high speed bulldozer". I always remembered that post because I love that characterization.  It describes Anderson perfectly. 

Ha ha, I don’t remember posting that, but it does seem to suit him! Thanks for remembering.

18 hours ago, Neech said:

I think Anderson might still be turned into a 1st rounder + prospect at this deadline or the next. With a (finally) rising cap, he's the type of guy who can put a contender over the hump and his age doesn't really fit with our young core. He also will likely become a bit of millstone once he loses a step, so it'd be best to move off him while his value is still high.

For all that I praise him above, I don’t disagree with this either. He brings value to a rebuilding team in terms of modelling a lot of important attributes, but you’re right about the danger of a contract millstone and he’s not untouchable, obviously. It all depends on the return (how high the pick? How good the prospect?). And also maybe on whether a behemoth like Slaf can progress, to take on some of that role of top-6 power forward.