Edmundson Traded to Washington

dlbalr

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

When does Mailloux have his hearing with Bettman?  As soon as he gets the nod I'd start shopping Savard.  

What does one thing have to do with the other?

Other than both are RH i guess.

5 minutes ago, Neech said:

Average of 56 games played over the last four seasons.

Of 2012 1st rounders, seems he is lower amount played than most.

image.png

18 minutes ago, Neech said:

Average of 56 games played over the last four seasons.

Of the last four years, only 2 have been 82 game seasons ... 59 of 69 games, 44/57, 74/82 and 48/82 ... he only missed significant time last season ... if it carries over to this season it might indicate a concern ... otherwise I don't think "injury prone" is in any way fair.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Mailloux is not NHL ready 

Or NHL cleared.

Wideman will be waived and down in Laval.

Moving Edmundson gives more minutes to Harris and Xhekaj  for the whole season and that carries weight on its own... Edmundson has been hurt for the better part of 2 seasons and the kids are to good to have to wait half a season for Edmundson to build up his value further

9 hours ago, DON said:

Of 2012 1st rounders, seems he is lower amount played than most.

image.png

First three years after the draft playing college hockey, and then one more in the minors. And still he has the second-most games for D-men.

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

Mailloux is not NHL ready 

While it is true that he needs to work on his defense, his offense is NHL ready and he could help the Habs PP.  Besides, "not NHL ready" could have been said about the majority of the Habs rookie dmen last year.  

In this upcoming season are the Habs competing to be in the playoffs that Mailloux not being NHL ready really matters?  Plus, if he doesn't play this season will he debut next season with Hutson and Reinbacher?  i.e. it'd be better to start playing him this year than the year after.  If Mailloux plays this year the Habs could get another top 10 pick and will be in contention to win the lottery.  

15 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

While it is true that he needs to work on his defense, his offense is NHL ready and he could help the Habs PP.  Besides, "not NHL ready" could have been said about the majority of the Habs rookie dmen last year.  

In this upcoming season are the Habs competing to be in the playoffs that Mailloux not being NHL ready really matters?  Plus, if he doesn't play this season will he debut next season with Hutson and Reinbacher?  i.e. it'd be better to start playing him this year than the year after.  If Mailloux plays this year the Habs could get another top 10 pick and will be in contention to win the lottery.  

I see no reason to rush Mailloux. He has missed a lot of hockey the last 3 years because of injuries and suspensions, better to build his confidence slowly by playing 20 minutes + a game in Laval where there is less pressure. Throwing somebody to the wolves too early can hurt their confidence. You don't play a player just to get a higher pick. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Dont rush and ruin the kid.  Wideman can do the same bad defensive play to getting a top 10 pick.  This idea that you put a 20 year old first rounder in a position to fail to get a top 10 pick is one of the stupidest things ive ever heard.  You dont ruin a first round pick to tank.

There are plenty of journeymen you can have on one year deals if the goal is tanking and the Habs already have a rhd who could do that.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I see no reason to rush Mailloux. He has missed a lot of hockey the last 3 years because of injuries and suspensions, better to build his confidence slowly by playing 20 minutes + a game in Laval where there is less pressure. Throwing somebody to the wolves too early can hurt their confidence. You don't play a player just to get a higher pick. 

Agreed ... but if he EARNS a promotion by his play in Laval that is great.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Dont rush and ruin the kid.  

In a similar way that you don't believe in "clutch" players, I don't believe in what people refer to as "rushing" players.  Its about the level of pressure that a team puts on young players.  A team that is fine with not making the playoffs are not putting pressure on the youngsters for making mistakes that cease the team to fail to make the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The rookie dmen were effectively tossed to the wolves last year and I'm pretty sure that NHL experience helped build their confidence.  

When will the Habs be actively trying to make the playoffs? Should they really try debuting 3 rookie dmen that year? 

I'd rather see Mailloux make rookie mistakes next year than the year after when they will be attempting to make the playoffs.  No matter when a player debuts they still need to adjust to the speed of the NHL and the only league that plays at that speed is the NHL.  

21 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Absolutely, you want a player to play so well in the minors that you almost have to bring him up. I think Mailloux will show in Laval that is offense is major league while his defense needs some work. It will be fun to follow his progress. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

The rookie dmen were effectively tossed to the wolves last year and I'm pretty sure that NHL experience helped build their confidence.  

Fair point, I don't think they had much choice last year but to play a lot of rookies. Not ideal but most of them developed well.  Having said that, this year they will all be a year older and need playing time. I would rather see Mailloux eating up big minutes in Laval, better for his development. 

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Wideman will be waived and down in Laval.

Moving Edmundson gives more minutes to Harris and Xhekaj  for the whole season and that carries weight on its own... Edmundson has been hurt for the better part of 2 seasons and the kids are to good to have to wait half a season for Edmundson to build up his value further

Wideman is the perfect teammate to be on the practice squad and play the odd game while the prospects in Laval play lots of minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I hope Habs NHL defense can stay healthier this year and his stay in Laval is for an extended period and they dont 'need' to rush him as they did last year.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Not ideal but most of them developed well.  

Really?

10 minutes ago, DON said:

Really?

I thought they did. Guhle was doing really well until his injury. Arber surprised everyone. Barron played well near the end of the season and Harris was pretty solid. They all made some rookie mistakes but overall did well I thought.  What were your thoughts? 

Did Guhle improve, probably played his best in the fall didnt he? Hated his usage and then playing him hurt.

Hopefully he is recovering well from surgery.

13 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I thought they did. Guhle was doing really well until his injury. Arber surprised everyone. Barron played well near the end of the season and Harris was pretty solid. They all made some rookie mistakes but overall did well I thought.  What were your thoughts? 

My fear is that it may be somewhat like the over-reaction to Mete's surprising rookie season when he has forced into the lineup ... I do think all the 22/23 rookies are better than Mete but it is easy to over-react to players when they simply play better than expected ... we will never know if they would have benefited from more time in Laval ... AND ... I think they were all more defensively proficient/prepared than is Mailloux at this point.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

My fear is that it may be somewhat like the over-reaction to Mete's surprising rookie season when he has forced into the lineup ... I do think all the 22/23 rookies are better than Mete but it is easy to over-react to players when they simply play better than expected ... we will never know if they would have benefited from more time in Laval ... AND ... I think they were all more defensively proficient/prepared than is Mailloux at this point.

Mete was forced into the lineup but had zero goals and 7 assists in his rookie year.  Not sure there was a big over reaction.  All the Habs rookie defensemen far surpassed Mete's totals. 

7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Mete was forced into the lineup but had zero goals and 7 assists in his rookie year.  Not sure there was a big over reaction.  All the Habs rookie defensemen far surpassed Mete's totals. 

I recall many fans being "over the moon" that they had found a partner for Weber ... memories can vary.

22 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I recall many fans being "over the moon" that they had found a partner for Weber ... memories can vary.

Mete was greeted with hosannas by much of the media and fan base - treated as a rookie sensation. I always suspected that this was a deliberate ploy by management to distract from the fact that they were icing a POS team at the time, a PR sugar high.

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Mete was greeted with hosannas by much of the media and fan base - treated as a rookie sensation. I always suspected that this was a deliberate ploy by management to distract from the fact that they were icing a POS team at the time, a PR sugar high.

A rookie sensation. Really. I know Hab fans usually over hype rookies like a lot of Canadian fan bases do but for a guy that didn't score a goal in his first 2 seasons I don't think he was considered a sensation.