Ylonen signs 1-year deal

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

On Cap Friendly it shows 775,000

AHL $200K ... guaranteed minimum of $275K

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/montreal-canadiens-sign-jesse-ylonen-to-one-year-two-way-contract-1.1990625

Two-way, which I find slightly interesting. Terms not released. 

I expected a 2-way deal ... but I am not as high on Ylonen as many.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ylonen would pass through waivers. 

Dime a dozen bottom six player and we got lots of those. 

He is young and perhaps he takes a step forward this season but I personally don’t think he has the tools to be an impact player. I can’t think of anyone on Habs current roster that Ylonen should replace - Even Pitlick would be a tough choice. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ylonen would pass through waivers. 

Dime a dozen bottom six player and we got lots of those. 

He is young and perhaps he takes a step forward this season but I personally don’t think he has the tools to be an impact player. I can’t think of anyone on Habs current roster that Ylonen should replace - Even Pitlick would be a tough choice. 

Au contraire! Considering that our RW configuration currently involves

• the broken-down, perpetually injured Gallagher
  • a one-dimensional scorer who doesn’t score very often (Hoffman) and
  • the completely useless Armia

I can quite easily see Ylonen getting a regular shift. 

That doesn’t mean he’s a star in the making, though, by any means. I believe he’s a valid NHLer but he may well become nothing more than one more generic, forgettable bottom-6 FW.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He is young and perhaps he takes a step forward this season but I personally don’t think he has the tools to be an impact player.

23 players on a roster--not all of them will ever be impact players. And yet, at 5-on-5 (he barely got any PP time) Ylonen scored 0.67 goals/60 (slightly better than Monahan or Dach, and slightly worse than Hoffman) and 1.89 points/60 (behind only Belzile, Caufield and Suzuki). Take those numbers with a grain of salt, but he's clearly not the worst player on the (current) roster.

So, I agree with Commandant that it's too early to declare him a failure. Whether he can fit into the Habs' forward lineup in the long term will be a different question, but we can't really judge that yet, either.

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

On Cap Friendly it shows 775,000

CapFriendly also says: "UNCONFIRMED: Minimum allowable contract assumed for the time being, details will be updated when they have been confirmed".

I expect that Ylonen was happy with a one-year deal as he quite likely wants to either make the team or return to Finland.

Caufield - Suzuki - Anderson 

Newhook - Dach - Monahan 

Armia -  Dvorak - Gallagher 

Hoffman - Evans - Pitlick 

I know Dvorak is injured but seriously who should Ylonen replace or who would St. Louis sit for Ylonen?

I don’t see a top 6 future for this guy but let’s see what happens perhaps he has lots of room to grow. 

52 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Newhook - Dach - Monahan 

I know Dvorak is injured but seriously who should Ylonen replace or who would St. Louis sit for Ylonen?

I don’t see a top 6 future for this guy but let’s see what happens perhaps he has lots of room to grow. 

He's better than Pitlick to start with. 

Armia if he plays like last season, Ylonen was better than him too. 

You also assume that all of those forwards will be healthy and that's virtually impossible to be the case for 82 games.  This is especially true for any lineup that includes Sean Monahan and Brendan Gallagher, and Jake Evans, three guys who have had a slew of injuries recently. So the 13th forward is gonna get some playing time.

I also look at the fact that this is still a rebuild.  Its not done yet.... so I'd much rather have Harvey-Pinard and Ylonen in our lineup and see what they can do over a Hoffman, Armia, Pitlick, who we know are not part of the future.   Anderson I could see traded for a package if we get one.  

As for if he's a top six/bottom six.  He's not a top 6 today, but he was fine as a bottom six guy as a rookie.  I'd give him ice time and see what happens. 

8 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It shouldn't be that tough.  They each have played around the same number of NHL games with around the same points but Ylonen is three years younger.  Pitlick (who I'm pretty sure the Habs would give away right now to avoid paying him $1.1 million to play in Laval) won't be around after next season while Ylonen is young enough that he could be in the medium-term future.  (Not saying he will but he could be.)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It shouldn't be that tough.  They each have played around the same number of NHL games with around the same points but Ylonen is three years younger.  Pitlick (who I'm pretty sure the Habs would give away right now to avoid paying him $1.1 million to play in Laval) won't be around after next season while Ylonen is young enough that he could be in the medium-term future.  (Not saying he will but he could be.)

Yeah it was hyperbole on my part but I forgot about RHP who is going to make the team anyway to take a roster spot 

I have nothing against Ylonen, I don’t see any particular “interesting upside” to his game. Like everyone has said, the guy is young so maybe he proves me wrong. 

9 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yeah it was hyperbole on my part but I forgot about RHP who is going to make the team anyway to take a roster spot

I wouldn't necessarily say that.  He's waiver-exempt and that can often work against a player in his situation to start a season.  I could see him being the odd man out and then the first recall once injuries arise.  Probably not fair for him - he has earned a full-time look - but 'asset management' often rules the day in early October.  (Yes, he makes the same as Pitlick but he'd be getting sent down short-term, not long-term like Pitlick probably will be.)

18 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Newhook - Dach - Monahan 

on this lineup? Armia

and RHP for Pitlick

Edited by alfredoh2009
Added RHP

18 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Newhook - Dach - Monahan 

Where'd Slaf go?

13 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I have nothing against Ylonen, I don’t see any particular “interesting upside” to his game. Like everyone has said, the guy is young so maybe he proves me wrong. 

6 goals and 16 points in 37 games translates to.... 13 goals and 36 points in a full season

That seems like either high end 3rd line production or low end 2nd line production to me. 

Seems enough from a rookie to at least give him a chance to see if he can continue it, or perhaps even improve on it. 

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

on this lineup? Armia

and RHP for Pitlick

In a hypothetical universe I agree about RHP; but not about Ylonen (we disagree on him, which is fine) ... since it is unlikely anyone trades for either Hoffman or Armia it means saddling Laval with an unhappy veteran (two under your scenario) ... AND ... it means giving HUGO the reputation of demoting established NHL veterans, which may not work in their favour if/when it is time to sign UFAs.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

6 goals and 16 points in 37 games translates to.... 13 goals and 36 points in a full season

That seems like either high end 3rd line production or low end 2nd line production to me. 

Seems enough from a rookie to at least give him a chance to see if he can continue it, or perhaps even improve on it. 

Although RHP's numbers last season project to 34 goals in a full season, I don't expect that from him ... but based on what I have seen, I expect RHP to be a solid 3rd liner who can fill a Top 6 role if a winger is injured ... based on what I've seen I don't see Ylonen as a Top 9 player, nor do I see in him the grit of a 4th liner.

But only time will tell which of us is right.

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

on this lineup? Armia

and RHP for Pitlick

3 hours ago, huzer said:

Where'd Slaf go?

Holy hell I missed Slaf too? I knew I had forgotten about RHP. 

Ylonen isn’t playing over either one of those guys but @dlbalr said, RHP might be a cap management casualty. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Hey if the guy puts up numbers then it doesn’t matter if he doesn’t look great at any one particular thing. 

Like with Slaf, you can see and get excited by his acceleration and his incredible skill at times. Slafkovsky has a whole number of things to work on but you can see outstanding parts to his game. 

I don’t see anything in Ylonen that makes me go wow - even once in a while. 

Maybe the kid will be a star

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Although RHP's numbers last season project to 34 goals in a full season, I don't expect that from him ... but based on what I have seen, I expect RHP to be a solid 3rd liner who can fill a Top 6 role if a winger is injured ... based on what I've seen I don't see Ylonen as a Top 9 player, nor do I see in him the grit of a 4th liner.

But only time will tell which of us is right.

RHP had an insane shooting percentage which is not sustainable. 24.1%... so no I'm not projecting him for 30 goals either. 
Ylonen on the other hand had a 14.0% shooting percentage, which is only slightly high, and could be sustainable.  Of course there is no guarantee which is why I'm saying he's earned a longer look at the NHL level, not that he's any kind of guarantee to be a dependable 2nd/3rd liner

"But only time will tell which of us is right."

I merely said he's done enough that I think he deserves the chance to get som e ice time on a rebuilding club to see if its real or not. 

There is nothing for me to be right or wrong about.  I merely am saying that in the position the team is in, we can afford to give him ice time and let him sink or swim.

26 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Holy hell I missed Slaf too? I knew I had forgotten about RHP. 

Ylonen isn’t playing over either one of those guys but @dlbalr said, RHP might be a cap management casualty. 

Hey if the guy puts up numbers then it doesn’t matter if he doesn’t look great at any one particular thing. 

Like with Slaf, you can see and get excited by his acceleration and his incredible skill at times. Slafkovsky has a whole number of things to work on but you can see outstanding parts to his game. 

I don’t see anything in Ylonen that makes me go wow - even once in a while. 

Maybe the kid will be a star

I see flashes of offensive skill.. a very good shot.  good instincts in the offensive zone.. above average skating.  The stickhandling and passing ability to make plays for teammates.  They are flashes yes, and like many young players he needs to be more consistent. 

Will this happen?  I have no idea.

But he's done enough that I'm willing to say, give him some ice time for 1 season and we can make a decision next year. 

There is no reason to throw away the asset today for pennies on the dollar. Lets let him play and see what more there is to see. 

As for bodies, like I said, there will be injuries and Armia and Pitlick can head to the AHL.  You might trade Anderson, Dvorak, or Hoffman if the right offer comes in too. 

A healthy Ylonen will produce more than a broken down Armia

Pitlick was borderline AHLer last season , so that’s why Input them there 

I did not comment on other players. I do not know what MSL and Hugh-Gort plan to have as a lineup 

Edited by alfredoh2009
fixed omission of "more" word