2023-24 NHL discussion thread

tomh009

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... There is a commonality in all of those situations where it didn't make hockey sense for those teams to have dumped those players.

But did any of them result in a contract termination?  WHATEVER he did is beyond any "rumoured" infidelity.

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... However, due to the previous Hawks scandal they might be overly strict regarding accountability and they are trying to improve their culture and how people view their franchise.  i.e. it could be something fairly minor but they are making a big deal of it so they don't look bad. 

Unless his behaviour is egregious enough to warrant termination, what the Blackhawks want as part of culture building and renewing their reputation is irrelevant ... for ANY of the things that you have speculated I doubt the standard of termination would be reached, and the NHLPA would contest it.

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

But did any of them result in a contract termination?  WHATEVER he did is beyond any "rumoured" infidelity.

Unless his behaviour is egregious enough to warrant termination, what the Blackhawks want as part of culture building and renewing their reputation is irrelevant ... for ANY of the things that you have speculated I doubt the standard of termination would be reached, and the NHLPA would contest it.

Yes, if it is something relatively minor than the NHLPA would definitely contest it. It must be something serious enough that the Hawks must feel they are sound enough footing to terminate his contract. 

28 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

No, but they were all traded - which was odd for those teams to do at that time.  

30 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Depending on what Perry did, the Hawks might not be allowed to do what they are planning on doing.

22 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yes, if it is something relatively minor than the NHLPA would definitely contest it.

My point about minor is something that could be allowed to be used as an excuse to terminate vs a fully legit reason.  Think Kassian with the Habs - he was a passenger in a car that an intoxicated woman was driving - that's fairly minor, yet that was enough for the Habs to dump him.  Not all teams would have went that route in that scenario.  

Is anyone familiar with the stipulations that are in a Standard Players Contract?  The Hawks claim Perry violated that along with their own internal rules.  I don't imagine that either would explicitly state that it is forbidden to sleep with a teammates mom.  Neither likely mention a teammates gf or wife. 

It will be interesting to see if Perry enters the NHL Assistance Program because that does temporarily save a player.  ex:  Lucic - the Bruins want to dump him but can't until he exits that program.  

I don’t know that any denials from the Blackhawks management would really have much credibility…

Nevertheless, whatever it was that he did, it looks like Perry threw away $3M of this year’s contract, any future chance to play and likely any chance at getting into the HHoF in the future.

17 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

My point about minor is something that could be allowed to be used as an excuse to terminate vs a fully legit reason.  Think Kassian with the Habs - he was a passenger in a car that an intoxicated woman was driving - that's fairly minor, yet that was enough for the Habs to dump him.  Not all teams would have went that route in that scenario.

He was intoxicated as well, so he was involved in criminal activity, drinking and diving, even if he wasn’t the driver.  He traded to Edmonton, so his contract wasn’t terminated. Also, if memory serves me right, the cops were called to Galchenyuk’s from the party the accident stemmed from.  Correct me if I’m wrong with that part.

As for Perry, Chris Johnson is reporting the termination isn’t related to a player or his family, it was a workplace matter that was not criminal.

I’ve seen rumours, nothing really credible, that he showed up to the team meeting prior to the Columbus game, intoxicated.  He was scratched from that game which appears to be around when this started.  Take this with a big gain of salt.

But if you have an employee struggling with alcohol or drugs, can you just terminate them without giving them any options for help first? If alcohol abuse was the issue with Perry, why not direct him to the player’s assistance program? I’m not an HR expert (though I do have some passing familiarity with these things), but I suspect Perry would be within his rights to launch an HR complaint.

I’d speculate, then, that it was probably something else.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But if you have an employee struggling with alcohol or drugs, can you just terminate them without giving them any options for help first? If alcohol abuse was the issue with Perry, why not direct him to the player’s assistance program? I’m not an HR expert (though I do have some passing familiarity with these things), but I suspect Perry would be within his rights to launch an HR complaint.

I’d speculate, then, that it was probably something else.

But what if Perry was offered the program and he refused?  That would give grounds for termination.  

I expect (hope?) that if alcohol/drugs were substantially involved that Perry would put himself into the player assistance program to avoid the termination process.

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Frank Seravelli says an alcohol fueled tirade at an event with team sponsors.  

Sounds like the kind of thing where the team or union gets Perry into a treatment program. 

Unless Perry isn’t interested. I’m sure he is embarrassed and just wants this to go away 

8 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Sounds like the kind of thing where the team or union gets Perry into a treatment program. 

Unless Perry isn’t interested. I’m sure he is embarrassed and just wants this to go away 

The union does have 60 days to file a grievance.

They probably do as they wont want precedent that this is an offence that a player can be terminated over 

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They probably do as they wont want precedent that this is an offence that a player can be terminated over 

If it actually is an alcohol-related issue, yes, I agree that there likely will be a grievance.

If there is no grievance, it's probably something else that they really want to keep under wraps.

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Depends entirely on the complete details of the incident ... and, ***IF*** it is alcohol-related the fact that Perry chose not avail himself of the player assistance program night work against him.

It is also possible that Perry doesn't like Chicago and regrets signing there and might prefer to be a free agent.  If that is the case, even though he has the right to file a grievance he might chose not to go that route.  i.e. that might not be a legit reason to terminate his contract and if he grieves it he could be stuck there. 

Also, Perry might know that the Hawks plan to Lindros him by refusing to trade him and to a playoff bound team.  If that is what the Hawks plan to do with him being released might be better for him.

All of this seems incredibly odd because Perry is known to be extremely professional.  I have to wonder if he did it on purpose just to get out of Chicago?

HOPEFULLY ... no team will offer Perry a contract until he (a) comes clean about what happened and (b) allows Chicago or the NHL to confirm what he says ... fans deserve to know what standards their team apply to signing players.

45 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

fans deserve to know what standards their team apply to signing players.

Why?

Fans are bit kooky and for PR maybe good idea for Hawks to do, but am sure many (maybe just me?) not too excited to know exactly why.

3 minutes ago, DON said:

Why?

Because they pay the freight ... tickets, merchandising, eyes & ears for broadcasters, clients for advertisers (did I miss anything?).

If no team signs Perry, I could live without knowing the details ... ***NOT*** saying I am not curious, but don't feel I have a right to know just because I am curious ... but if the Habs (i.e., my team) were to offer him a contract I would want to know where they draw the line on acceptable/unacceptable behaviour.

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I imagine there are GMs that are strongly considering a minimum salary offer for Perry. 

I would not be surprised to see him in Edmonton 

I wouldn’t mind him here either. He was reportedly very good working with Suzuki and Caufield. It all depends on what he did. If it was just spouting off at Chicago big shots, I couldn’t care less. If it was racism, or alcoholism-related, then we want him as far away from lex glorieux as possible.

26 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I imagine there are GMs that are strongly considering a minimum salary offer for Perry. 

I would not be surprised to see him in Edmonton 

Edmonton does have a history of giving guys extra chances (ie. Kassian, Kane) so that wouldn't shock me. 

12 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

It is also possible that Perry doesn't like Chicago and regrets signing there and might prefer to be a free agent.  If that is the case, even though he has the right to file a grievance he might chose not to go that route.  i.e. that might not be a legit reason to terminate his contract and if he grieves it he could be stuck there. 

Also, Perry might know that the Hawks plan to Lindros him by refusing to trade him and to a playoff bound team.  If that is what the Hawks plan to do with him being released might be better for him.

All of this seems incredibly odd because Perry is known to be extremely professional.  I have to wonder if he did it on purpose just to get out of Chicago?

While a grievance could restore his contract this is highly unlikely.  The best the grievance would do is pay him for the remainder of this season and force the blackhawks to buy him out in the next window.  They'd also allow him to sign as a free agent in the meantime. With anything he is paid by his new team deducted from what the hawks owe him this season.

See the precedent with Evander Kane and the Sharks terminating him and signing in Edmonton.  See also mike richards 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Edmonton does have a history of giving guys extra chances (ie. Kassian, Kane) so that wouldn't shock me. 

I forgot about Kassian but Kane was the guy I was thinking about. Nobody wanted Kane but the Oilers gave him a shot and he has been great for the most part.