2023-24 NHL discussion thread

tomh009

10 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Quite amazing that Dom is picking Hart over, say, Hill. But goaltending doesn't look to be a strength anyway.

Devon Levi?  Seriously?  He has played 23 NHL games and has a save percentage of .895, I would take Montembeault over him any day of the week. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Devon Levi?  Seriously?  He has played 23 NHL games and has a save percentage of .895, I would take Montembeault over him any day of the week. 

I'd even play Ingram before Levi as of now,  but it's a projection for 2025, so he might be just right with Levi getting there. 

2 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

I'd even play Ingram before Levi as of now,  but it's a projection for 2025, so he might be just right with Levi getting there. 

It is a projection so who really knows with some of his picks. Somehow I don't think a 33 year old Toffoli will be there but he is responsible defensively so I might be wrong on that one. 

Ottawa already down by 5 in the first period against Vancouver, seems like their problem is much deeper than coaching. So much talent on paper. Maybe making a shithead your captain is a bad move?

10 hours ago, Neech said:

Ottawa already down by 5 in the first period against Vancouver, seems like their problem is much deeper than coaching. So much talent on paper. Maybe making a shithead your captain is a bad move?

Yeah, I’ve noted this over the course of the season.

Brady has slipped in leadership department, takes far too many penalties at bad times, especially when team is already down, he waits until game is essentially out of reach and starts having tantrums, the entire team appears to be playing for contracts, individual stats. Their tenders have been brutal to boot.

The whole org is a joke right now, new owners insist on stability and the. Pull the cheesiest, sloppiest coaching replacement since  Florida made Gerard Gallant wait for a can post game when sacked.  They say they want consistency and stability yet bring in an old, lame duck coach that everyone knows is not there long term, hmmm seems stable to me, pfft. I’ve never like the sens but I almost feel bad for their fans, not sure why anyone would be. Even my friends who live there begrudgingly say they’re Sens fans but only b/c they live there.   I go to games with them and any Canadian team has more fans there than the Sens do, even some American teams.

Lighting at their rink sucks, the arena is not very nice and a terrible location if you want to have a full city experience like I do when travelling for games (although one of my biz partners lives in walking distance so kinda handy in that case as we enjoy hanging out) but heaven forbid you want to enjoy Ottawa and catch a game on same day you arrive.

Can be in Mtl an hour or town before the game and still experience la joie de vivre, see some historic stuff, hit a pub and make the game on time.  Dozen of accommodations within a ten minute walk from arena, jeepers I wonder why that is the common approach and works well?  Ottawa doesn’t deserve the franchise.

Kings goalie Pheonix Copley is out for the season with torn ACL.

They have called up David Rittich, so I dont think this makes them a suitor for Allen/Primeau, but it means they are no longer a team with an excess goalie that they could trade.

Either way supply/demand means the value of Allen/Primeau just went up slightly as there is one fewer option out there.

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Either way supply/demand means the value of Allen/Primeau just went up slightly as there is one fewer option out there.

The fewer the options the better, I sense Hughes is being patient right now, hopefully it pays off. 

Gauthier might have looked good in the Habs' prospect pool ... Drysdale is a former 6th overall (2020) who has had injury issues the last two seasons.

But Gauthier likely wouldn't have wanted to be in Montreal either

Now that is an interesting trade. I think Cutter Gauthier is a terrific prospect. I hadn't followed Drysdale much after he was drafted. Philly must like their forward prospects. Seems like the type of trade the Habs might make in the future with one of their young defensemen. 

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Now that is an interesting trade. I think Cutter Gauthier is a terrific prospect. I hadn't followed Drysdale much after he was drafted. Philly must like their forward prospects. Seems like the type of trade the Habs might make in the future with one of their young defensemen. 

Drysdale has struggled a bit lately, especially on the injury front.  But if he turns into a top-pairing d-man, Philly should do quite well here given the circumstances.  Interesting that Gauthier didn't want to play there though, he could have been in their lineup after the college season and probably playing important minutes quickly.

I imagine this will be something the Habs try to do as well at some point.  That time might come as soon as the offseason.

18 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Drysdale has struggled a bit lately, especially on the injury front.  But if he turns into a top-pairing d-man, Philly should do quite well here given the circumstances.  Interesting that Gauthier didn't want to play there though, he could have been in their lineup after the college season and probably playing important minutes quickly.

I imagine this will be something the Habs try to do as well at some point.  That time might come as soon as the offseason.

It could come sooner than later. It is very interesting that Gauthier didn't want to play there. I never thought of Philly as an  undesirable destination especially for US players. hmmm  Anything to do with Tortorella? Just speculating. 

26 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It could come sooner than later. It is very interesting that Gauthier didn't want to play there. I never thought of Philly as an  undesirable destination especially for US players. hmmm  Anything to do with Tortorella? Just speculating. 

One has to assume that Anaheim got some indication that Gauthier would be willing to sign there (he hadn't with Philly).

32 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I can't see it being Tortorella as I'm not even sure the two have met; he wasn't at their summer camp last year.  To say that he wouldn't play for a specific coach this early would be odd.  That said, saying he wouldn't play for a specific team after apparently telling them he'd love to be a Flyer at the draft is most definitely odd.

Id say no for two reasons.

2023 Draft was better than 2022.

What is the reason he wouldnt sign in Philly? No guarantee of signing him unless Philly let you talk to him and figure out what is going on.

24 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That said, saying he wouldn't play for a specific team after apparently telling them he'd love to be a Flyer at the draft is most definitely odd.

It is very very odd. Maybe he needed to have a man to man talk with Bobby Clarke to get straightened out. 

30 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Danny B continues to impress me as GM, dealing and wheeling, rebuilding on the go.

Not sure Danny B looks good here. He couldn't get Gauthier to sign with the Flyers, not saying it's Danny fault, likely something else but he couldn't get the bridge built. 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I can't see it being Tortorella as I'm not even sure the two have met; he wasn't at their summer camp last year.  To say that he wouldn't play for a specific coach this early would be odd.  That said, saying he wouldn't play for a specific team after apparently telling them he'd love to be a Flyer at the draft is most definitely odd.

I was checking out the flyers boards and someone posted a clip of Gauthier talking about meeting Torts for the 1st time at development camp. He didn't say anything negative about him. Many of the flyer fans blame it on Torts but they are just speculating. The flyer fans are pissed and I can't blame them, it's a slap in the face. 

10 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Not sure Danny B looks good here. He couldn't get Gauthier to sign with the Flyers, not saying it's Danny fault, likely something else but he couldn't get the bridge built. 

well, I like how well PHI is playing despite many questioning the hiring of Tortorella (I forget if Brière hired him or just kept him there). I also like how he made something out of a bad situation. This may be a desperate move like the Dvorak trade, but it may also help out his team.

I still think he is clever, "Savvy Danny B" of sorts.

this is an explanation as plausible as anyone's on why Gauthier was traded:

17 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

this is an explanation as plausible as anyone's on why Gauthier was traded:

haha   I like my own explanation too  :  Cutter Gauthier might have a relative in a wheelchair and can't get over what Daniel Brière's son has done. 

• Upvote 1