2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I haven't given up on Anderson. I fully expect he will pass Jarry at some point this season and if not this season then next season. 

Keep the faith, baby! 😂

31 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think Ylonen and Slafkovsky should be on a line together and in the top 6.

At least until they both suffer catastrophic injuries, as is inevitable

Is the injury to Newhook an opportunity to offer Puljujarvi a buriable two-way contract and get a two-month look-see while being able to leave youngsters to develop in Laval?  Suzuki and Monahan as top-6 centres ... Caufield, Slafkovsky, Ylonen and Puljujarvi on their wings ... leave the guys are aren't part of the future in the bottom-6.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Is the injury to Newhook an opportunity to offer Puljujarvi a buriable two-way contract and get a two-month look-see while being able to leave youngsters to develop in Laval?  Suzuki and Monahan as top-6 centres ... Caufield, Slafkovsky, Ylonen and Puljujarvi on their wings ... leave the guys are aren't part of the future in the bottom-6.

I don't think he's cleared to play just yet (he should have been by now though).  Not a bad idea in theory though but are they going to need the contract slots closer to the deadline for college players (Hutson/Tuch and/or free agents) or other deadline moves?

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

At least until they both suffer catastrophic injuries, as is inevitable

LOL 🤣 sad how it's funny :rofl:

The curse continues for the Habs. I mentioned a long time ago that I believe that the Habs are cursed since they moved to the Bell centre. They seem to get lots of these freakish catastrophic injuries to key players.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Is the injury to Newhook an opportunity to offer Puljujarvi a buriable two-way contract and get a two-month look-see while being able to leave youngsters to develop in Laval?  

That's not a bad idea. Having seen Puljujarvi a lot in Edmonton I often wonder if he's not worth a shot. Size, skill but missing the hockey IQ which means the total package is less than the sum of the parts. He just couldn't figure it out. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That's not a bad idea. Having seen Puljujarvi a lot in Edmonton I often wonder if he's not worth a shot. Size, skill but missing the hockey IQ which means the total package is less than the sum of the parts. He just couldn't figure it out. 

Hopefully worth a look to see if the brain has started to catch up to the body ... worse come to worse he can go help The Rocket

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think that, just for us fans, such a signing would be welcome. It'd offer some intrigue, as opposed to an injury-depleted lineup full of injury replacements called up of necessity rather than because they're really ready. I find these endless injuries to our best young players really, really demoralizing, as a fan. 

If Im Puljujarvi, im looking for a one year deal with a team that guarantees me ice time at the NHL level.  Its not even about the money, its about proving i can play in the league for my next deal.

If the Habs want to do that, great, id take a chance on him.  

But you can forget the Laval idea or two way contract.  He will get a one way league min NHL offer even if its from another team like a columbus or san jose who will keep him on the team for 2-3 months and look to re-sign or move him at trade deadline.

58 minutes ago, Commandant said:

If Im Puljujarvi, im looking for a one year deal with a team that guarantees me ice time at the NHL level.  Its not even about the money, its about proving i can play in the league for my next deal.

If the Habs want to do that, great, id take a chance on him.  

But you can forget the Laval idea or two way contract.  He will get a one way league min NHL offer even if its from another team like a columbus or san jose who will keep him on the team for 2-3 months and look to re-sign or move him at trade deadline.

A league minimum one-way contract can be buried anyway, in the worst case, unless he has an NMC (unlikely he would get that).

It seems like a good option if they're willing to use up a contract slot.

17 hours ago, tomh009 said:

A league minimum one-way contract can be buried anyway, in the worst case, unless he has an NMC (unlikely he would get that).

It seems like a good option if they're willing to use up a contract slot.

He's technically not eligible for any form of trade protection (too young).

I think Habs are right about where most expected them to be; tied for 12th in the East.

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/12/habs-weekly-more-early-game-struggles/

https://habather.ca/2023/12/03/after-24-games-the-habs-are-discombobulated/

"The Slafkovsky to Laval lobbyists have grown awfully quiet."

She has some some good questions;

"Why does Marty continue to rely on veterans who have been pretty consistently ineffective over 24 games, while kids showing growth are getting lesser opportunities? Why is the penalty kill so bad? Why are the Habs almost never ready to start the game?"

1 hour ago, DON said:

I think Habs are right about where most expected them to be; tied for 12th in the East.

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/12/habs-weekly-more-early-game-struggles/

https://habather.ca/2023/12/03/after-24-games-the-habs-are-discombobulated/

"The Slafkovsky to Laval lobbyists have grown awfully quiet."

She has some some good questions;

"Why does Marty continue to rely on veterans who have been pretty consistently ineffective over 24 games, while kids showing growth are getting lesser opportunities? Why is the penalty kill so bad? Why are the Habs almost never ready to start the game?"

here a demotion I didn't see coming. Luc Gelinas mentions it is a regular demotion, not a fitness/recovery assignment or a cap-management/administrative move

A conditioning stint means he would count against both the 23 man roster and the salary cap.  There are also rules limiting the duration.

Since he doesnt need waivers, they just sent him down.

Its not that hard to understand when you know the rules.  Luc should do his research, i mean youd think it was his job.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

18 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

While I like this move and think Monty should get a starters amount of games I still think Primeau is not being well served for sitting for so much time 

My "gut" tells me that if the Habs were happy-with/committed-to Allen for next season they would have risked waiving Primeau by now, and that they are working to move Allen somewhere he will be happy to go (between his 7-team NTC and Hughes' summer assurance he didn't intend to trade Jake) ... my completely unsubstantiated guess is Colorado if Prosvetov reverts to his norm.

15 minutes ago, DON said:

With 3g in 10 games; Joel is on a 25g pace.

AHL maybe helped his confidence around the net?

(8 shots in last 2 games; 11 shots in last 4.)

If he somehow keeps it up for another 10 games maybe some idiot GM will want to trade for him.

3 hours ago, DON said:

With 3g in 10 games; Joel is on a 25g pace.

AHL maybe helped his confidence around the net?

(8 shots in last 2 games; 11 shots in last 4.)

He’s usually been “on pace” for 20 goals many times in his career. 

an interesting point on RDS today where they were saying that Montembeault i sstarting two games in a row because he deserved it.

I think the comment was on MSL saying that and that now that he has said players earn their play time, that he has to apply it not only to goalies but to powerplay time, etc.

I do not have the quote from MSL, but if we can believe that he said that then I agree with this view.