2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

also Norman Flynn was emphatic that they Habs better do not screw up Xhekaj's development. He made the point very strongly that now that they have sent Xhekaj to Laval to improve his game, the same logic should apply to others.

I also agree with him on this.

What others?  The talk has been Slaf should go to Laval for a while.

But if we look at Slaf's last 10.games or so, the kid is figuring it out in the NHL.

Who is the prospect we need to send to Laval to develop?

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

also Norman Flynn was emphatic that they Habs better do not screw up Xhekaj's development. He made the point very strongly that now that they have sent Xhekaj to Laval to improve his game, the same logic should apply to others.

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

Who is the prospect we need to send to Laval to develop?

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Anderson! 😂 😂 😂

With Xhekaj in Laval, other than Slafkovsky, the only real "youngsters" possibly in need of development are Barron, Struble, Guhle, and Harris ... the mid-20s guys (Pezzetta, Ylonen, RHP, Lindström) are who they are and likely not a part (or at least a significant part) of the future ... Kovacevic potentially a 6/7/8 defenceman in the coming years but certainly is not being waived to go to Laval even if he isn't in their plans.

I think that Flynn is using Xhekaj's demotion to "quietly lobby" for Allen or Primeau to be sent down and clear games for Montembeault.

today's article reassures me in my view that nest season (2024-2025) is the right one for me to start evaluating HughGort's rebuild moves. The Habs are in great position to build a team that can compete next year:

* "[...] Habs will have plenty of options due to their salary cap maneuverability next season"

* the maturity that the young defesemen would show after this season, easing decisions

* at least $6.596M are coming off the payroll, maybe $8.580M if the Habs do not bring back Monahan.

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2023/12/07/montreal-canadiens-projected-salary-cap-next-year-lineup-roster-defence-trade-options-habs-rumours-deals-matheson/

image.png

image.png

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

today's article reassures me in my view that nest season (2024-2025) is the right one for me to start evaluating HughGort's rebuild moves. The Habs are in great position to build a team that can compete next year:

* "[...] Habs will have plenty of options due to their salary cap maneuverability next season"

* the maturity that the young defesemen would show after this season, easing decisions

* at least $6.596M are coming off the payroll, maybe $8.580M if the Habs do not bring back Monahan.

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2023/12/07/montreal-canadiens-projected-salary-cap-next-year-lineup-roster-defence-trade-options-habs-rumours-deals-matheson/

Cap Going Up: Impact On The Habs – Cheering The Logo

Hughes should have lots $$$ to makes some nice moves next summer.

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

With Xhekaj in Laval, other than Slafkovsky, the only real "youngsters" possibly in need of development are Barron, Struble, Guhle, and Harris ... the mid-20s guys (Pezzetta, Ylonen, RHP, Lindström) are who they are and likely not a part (or at least a significant part) of the future ... Kovacevic potentially a 6/7/8 defenceman in the coming years but certainly is not being waived to go to Laval even if he isn't in their plans.

I think that Flynn is using Xhekaj's demotion to "quietly lobby" for Allen or Primeau to be sent down and clear games for Montembeault.

no, Flynn was saying that they better make sure that they do not lose Xhekaj or screw up his development, that he bring a unique dimension to the NHL team that no other player brings. His comments were only about Xhekaj.

The only other players I would demote are Harris, similar to Xhekaj's situation, and maybe Harvey-Pinard if he does not play to the same level when he returns from injury.

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

image.png

image.png

My view is that this was a full scale organizational rebuild which started in the 21, 22 season. I'm willing to give it another season after this year. 

28 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

21 minutes ago, DON said:

Hughes should have lots $$$ to makes some nice moves next summer.

I think next summer will be too early to make many moves ... if an IMPACTFUL young UFA like Nylander wants to come that would be one thing, but too early IMO to chase any UFAs ... but could be the time to trade for a young pending UFA and sell them on the team.

33 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If the Habs extend Monahan there will be less than $6.596 coming off as he will cost more than this season ... I expect 24/25 to more likely be a time to look at some combination of Mesar, Farrell, Heineman, Beck and Roy up front than making any major additions.

21 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

My view is that this was a full scale organizational rebuild which started in the 21, 22 season. I'm willing to give it another season after this year. 

I agree, it is a full scale rebuild. I have been critical of some decisions but also have praised some others.

IMHO next season will be the first one where HughGort will be freed from most of the legacy from the MB years (outside of Carey Price of course).

It’s nice to think the Habs could start pivoting next season. 

What bugs me is that injuries have made it harder to really assess what we have. The most important variable by far is Dach - is he really a sure-fire #1A centreman? We talk like he is, but can’t know for sure because he suffered massive injuries in both his seasons with us. What the hell is Harris all about anyway? Who knows, he’s been hurt too much to be confident about his ceiling. Slaf lost half a season last year. Guhle too; if he hadn’t lost 40 games last year we might be closer to knowing whether he can produce offence like a #1D. Even Caufield…he is certainly a top-line W but HOW great is he, exactly? He lost a half season to a catastrophic shoulder industry and has not been the same this season. Presumably he will recover fully in the longer run, but it would be nice to have a more extensive body of work decisively proving whether he’s a 40-50 goal man or a 25-30 goal man.

If we hadn’t had such piss-poor injury luck, I might be more confident about pivoting to ‘playoff team’ next season. As it is, I can understand management wanting a little more time.

• Upvote 1

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

IMHO next season will be the first one where HughGort will be freed from most of the legacy from the MB years (outside of Carey Price of course).

Still Dvorak and Armia ... and, for now, Savard and Allen.

Price is still a huge anchor on the cap ... I expect Price to not go on LTIR next season, and for various youngsters to get their chance to show what they have up front ... even if they can't manage to move Dvorak and Armia, next season is the last for their contracts ... Savard and Allen as well (if they aren't traded) ...keeping Price off LTIR prevents carryover cap impacts for 25/26, which is the season for which I see HuGo looking to make BIG moves.

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I agree, it is a full scale rebuild. I have been critical of some decisions but also have praised some others.

And Gallagher and Anderson. Those are the two other albatross contracts. I can't believe there are still 3 additional years left on each of those contracts.

11 minutes ago, huzer said:

And Gallagher and Anderson. Those are the two other albatross contracts. I can't believe there are still 3 additional years left on each of those contracts.

And neither offer any "free cap hit" until 26/27 when their actual salaries are $2.5M and $2M respectively less than their cap hits.

12 minutes ago, huzer said:

yes, you are right, Armia, Anderson and Gallagher :( three boat 🛥️ anchor contracts :(

but they are the typical contracts you may see on most teams. Bad but manageable. Price's is just horrible.

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The only other players I would demote are Harris, similar to Xhekaj's situation, and maybe Harvey-Pinard if he does not play to the same level when he returns from injury.

It's safe to rule Harris out.  He was waiver-exempt to start the year but he isn't anymore.  I don't think they're waiving him.

Arpon is pretty excited about Xhekaj after 1 AHL game.

So what if the Habs specifically told him to "not fight" in his 1st AHL game, coming off a shoulder injury?

"Anyone who has seen Xhekaj take every invitation to fight from the toughest customers in the NHL, and even initiate many of them as he did with Ryan Reaves on opening night, would not recognize him rejecting an invitation from AHL enforcer Bokondji Imama — who was sent out on a power play here — and simply skating away instead."

"From the looks of it, without being able to ask Xhekaj about it, it appeared as though the Canadiens muzzled him on the ice during the game and off the ice after the game."

Arber Xhekaj’s AHL debut looked nothing like what made him an NHL player to begin with - The Athletic

1 hour ago, DON said:

Arpon is pretty excited about Xhekaj after 1 AHL game.

So what if the Habs specifically told him to "not fight" in his 1st AHL game, coming off a shoulder injury?

"Anyone who has seen Xhekaj take every invitation to fight from the toughest customers in the NHL, and even initiate many of them as he did with Ryan Reaves on opening night, would not recognize him rejecting an invitation from AHL enforcer Bokondji Imama — who was sent out on a power play here — and simply skating away instead."

"From the looks of it, without being able to ask Xhekaj about it, it appeared as though the Canadiens muzzled him on the ice during the game and off the ice after the game."

Arber Xhekaj’s AHL debut looked nothing like what made him an NHL player to begin with - The Athletic

Arber has absolutely nothing to prove from a tough guy point of view, fighting a 27 year old AHL goon who is not going anywhere is not going to benefit Arber one iota. He needs playing time not time in the penalty box. Good on him for walking away. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Arber has absolutely nothing to prove from a tough guy point of view, fighting a 27 year old AHL goon who is not going anywhere is not going to benefit Arber one iota. He needs playing time not time in the penalty box. Good on him for walking away. 

Yep.  That part of his game doesn't need refinement, he's pretty good at it.  While he's down there, I want him focusing on areas of improvement.  To do that, he needs to stay out of the box (which, frankly, is one of the areas of improvement he needs to work on).

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

100% agree!

Sure. AHL plugs know that they can make a name for themselves if they take on WiFi and beat him. 

This is in some respect a tribute to the rep he has made despite only having played 50 games or whatever it is.

But obviously it's a no-win scenario for him - very good that the Habs have laid down the law to him.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But obviously it's a no-win scenario for him - very good that the Habs have laid down the law to him.

Not for sure, but seems likely.

1st game back after injury, seems  no-brainer to avoid 'tussles'.

But tonight & tomorrow we shall see if the handcuffs are on or not.

3rd place team vs 30th placed team (we know which is which), so both games likely wont be close scores.

Tonights possible antagonist.

image.png

Buddies.

Great to hear Xhekaj already playing on the 5-3 PP, setting up goal yesterday. Would not get that opportunity with the Habs nor top pairing minutes playing with Mailloux (who i hear making some bad decisions on back end but looking good on the rush).

Canadiens' Johnathan Kovacevic feels for his friend Arber Xhekaj | Montreal Gazette

2023-24 First Quarter Grades: Goalies and Defencemen – HabsWorld.net

POV,

Samuel Montembeault

Fan Vote Average: 7.13, Writer Vote Average: 7.57

Kaiden Guhle

Fan Vote Average: 7.84, Writer Vote Average: 8.29

Arber Xhekaj

Fan Vote Average: 5.87, Writer Vote Average: 6.57"

• Like 1

The Canadian | At midnight, Guhle moved on | The Press (lapresse.ca)

On Byfield blowing by him (google translate);

"Guhle offered a very candid assessment of the sequence. "I was screwed from the start, because I gave him too much space," said the 21-year-old defenseman, standing in front of his locker. A player of his caliber is able to skate, he's big. I should have made a better game. »"

"In the Sabres' locker room, rookie Zach Benson, who played against Guhle for two years in junior, called him "the toughest defenseman I've faced in the WHL. His double-checks really hurt! "