2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Just saw this from RDS:

After checking the Senator's coaches records, I took a peek at Martin St-Louis' (Left) vs Ducharme (Right). RDS' question is "How do you evaluate MSL's performance ehind the bench?":

image.png

MSL has a better Pts% despite being formally in a rebuild ... including in 20/21 with largely the same roster.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

MSL has a better Pts% despite being formally in a rebuild ... including in 20/21 with largely the same roster.

Not to take anything away from the heroic performances by Price and Weber…….

Making the playoffs with a sub .500 record makes me cringe. 

4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Not to take anything away from the heroic performances by Price and Weber…….

it was a very weird season, it was surreal to be a fan and follow the team that year.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

That was largely an artifact of the bottom four teams in the division being so closely clustered just below .500. With no bottom-feeders (and with the Leafs having an equivalent of a something like 115-point season) that cluster ended up just below .500.

Unusual, but not particularly cringeworthy -- it could have happened in a normal season, too, especially when eight teams out of 14 were still making the playoffs. Not that it did happen but it could have. :)

I stand by my opinion that Ducharme is garbage.  MSL has a better points percentage and DD has a better team in 2020-21 than anything MSL has had.  We also saw DD miss much of that playoff run with Covid, and according to Habs equipment staff it was Price and Weber essentially taking over the dressing room and coaching the team.

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Over .500 in term of points. But under .500 winning percentage. :)

I think we are splitting hairs here. In reality it doesn't matter much.  I think we can all agree that they had a mediocre regular season and a magical playoff run. 

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

That was largely an artifact of the bottom four teams in the division being so closely clustered just below .500. With no bottom-feeders (and with the Leafs having an equivalent of a something like 115-point season) that cluster ended up just below .500.

Unusual, but not particularly cringeworthy -- it could have happened in a normal season, too, especially when eight teams out of 14 were still making the playoffs. Not that it did happen but it could have. :)

I believe you're a tad off with the no bottom feeders remark.  The Sens and Nucks were so bad you forgot they existed.  There was 1 really good team -T.O.; and 2 really bad - Sens and Nucks; and 4 teams that were almost in a 4 way tie for 2nd.  Thank god the Flames lost their 2nd last game to Van or that tie would have happened. 

The Habs lost so many games in OT that year that they would have been out and the Run of 21 wouldn't have happened.  I'm loving that the Habs have a good OT record this year but they need to win more games in regulation time.  

So far this season its been another year of mediocrity that will be similar to 21 where the standings will be crazy close and the final few games will matter for an abnormal amount of teams.  ex:  Cannes and Devils should be top 3 but are barely wildcards; Wings and TB are floundering too.

I certainly won't cringe if the Habs make the playoffs this year.

I was looking at the Habs’ faceoff performance this season and I came away super impressed: 

Dvorak 59% (52% last season)
Monahan 58% (54%)
Evans 56% (54%)
Suzuki 54% (47%)

Clearly, for a team that used to struggle to get close to 50%, there has been some significant training to get to this point. Maybe there is even hope for Newhook!

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

I don't think Newhook is a centre, and that has nothing to do with his faceoff percentage.  I think he's a wing long-term.

I do tend to agree. But even if he plays normally on the wing, being able to take faceoffs would still be a good skill. Or to be able to step in at C in case of an injury ...

• Like 1

I am happy to see the Habs' goalies stats shown this way. Bodes well for the trade deadline:

image.png

The better way is to look at GSAx/60 as that adjusts for the number of games played. By that criterion Montembeault and Allen are 21st and 22nd (minimum 10 games played).

Primeau is fewer than 10 games, but if you set the minimum to six, he comes in 29th.

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

The better way is to look at GSAx/60 as that adjusts for the number of games played. By that criterion Montembeault and Allen are 21st and 22nd (minimum 10 games played).

Primeau is fewer than 10 games, but if you set the minimum to six, he comes in 29th.

still, not bad for the Habs given all the injuries.

45 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

still, not bad for the Habs given all the injuries.

GSAx has nothing to do with injuries.  Thats the great thing about the stat, is it isolates the goalie and takes out the team effect as much as possible.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

GSAx has nothing to do with injuries.  Thats the great thing about the stat, is it isolates the goalie and takes out the team effect as much as possible.

Quite. xG data is based on distance, shooting angles etc. But NHL's current data doesn't (as far as I know!) include net-front traffic, for example, or whether the shooter was being disrupted by a D-man, it's essentially puck data.

So, if the team's defenders tend to block the goalie's vision of the shots, they will be more difficult for the goalie to save, but the xG will be the same as for a clear shot from the same position. Still, xG is a very good indicator, and GSAx a much better one than just save percentage.

54 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I hope they don't buy. It's a year too early for that imo.

I cannot see Hughes doing deadline shopping for veteran rentals this year. Even if they are in a position to make the playoffs, I expect they'll be more likely to be sellers at deadline.

4 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I hope they don't buy. It's a year too early for that imo.

I agree.  Dont buy.  But if you sneak in with the kids, all the better.

Of course a hockey trade that helps in future years is fine but no rental.