2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

5 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Montreal Canadiens report card for the season and this team isn’t very good at much. We pretty much stink..

IMG_0301.jpeg

Just too many missing pieces and players developing. Without a superstar, they will need depth. They have no depth is any position, except potential for future depth at defense. 

My attempt to place non injured players in positions that they're qualified for right now, rather than potential or where they currently play.

1 _______ ,  Suzuki 1a, Caufield 

2. Slafkovski, _____1b,  ________

3. Newhook, ______   Gallagher or Anderson 

4. RHP Evans Armia 

What is Anderson? I don't know. I wouldn't have him on a top 6. Doesn't play well with others. Pezzetta

Defense

1 ________

2 Matheson

3 _________

4 Ghule 

5 Savard, 

6. Kovacevic, Harris

7. Struble, Xhekaj, Barron

Goalies

Monty 1a

Allen 1b

MSL (head coach on a good team? Doubt it.

No PP or PK coach on a good team.

Unsure of other coaching staff.

3 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Just too many missing pieces and players developing. Without a superstar, they will need depth. They have no depth is any position, except potential for future depth at defense. 

My attempt to place non injured players in positions that they're qualified for right now, rather than potential or where they currently play.

1         Suzuki 1a, Caufield 

2. Slafkovski 

3. Newhook            Gallagher or Anderson 

4. RHP Evans Armia 

What is Anderson? I don't know. I wouldn't have him on a top 6. Doesn't play well with others. Pezzetta

Defense

2 Matheson

4 Ghule 

5 Savard, 

6. Kovacevic, Harris

7. Struble, Xhekaj, Barron

Goalies

Monty 1a

Allen 1b

MSL (head coach on a good team? Doubt it.

No PP or PK coach on a good team.

Unsure of other coaching staff.

You know Friedman in one of his broadcasts made a comment that Lamirello tends to hire coaches for their 2nd job, and has had success - we tend to hire too many rookie coaches. I don’t mind the MSL hire - given our current situation, but next time I’d like to hire someone who’s already learned from their mistakes than continue to be a training ground for coaches. 

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You know Friedman in one of his broadcasts made a comment that Lamirello tends to hire coaches for their 2nd job, and has had success - we tend to hire too many rookie coaches. I don’t mind the MSL hire - given our current situation, but next time I’d like to hire someone who’s already learned from their mistakes than continue to be a training ground for coaches. 

I agree right now. As long as Ghulie, Slafkovski, Caufield, Dach (please dear lord), newhook continue to develope, there is benefit to having him. But if he pushes back about hiring a tactical associate coach in a year or 2, he better create some defensive systems.

Look at Dom L's atlantic division player stat cards on the Athletic, I am reminded why I don't like composite stats so much even if advanced stats can be informative in themselves.

Habs players (and some ex-Habs) only, as we are all familiar with them:

19. Nick Suzuki +8 (projected rating)

22. Cole Caufield +7

35. Mike Matheson +5

73. David Savard +0

77. Kirby Dach -1

(80. Jeff Petry -1)

85. Rafael Harvey-Pinard -2

87. Arber Xhekaj -2

93. Justin Barron -2

(95. Sean Monahan -3)

97. Alex Newhook -3

100. Juraj Slafkovsky -3

106. Kaiden Guhle -3

107. Brendan Gallagher -4

112. Johnathan Kovacevic -4

113. Jake Evans -5

121. Jordan Harris -5

(123. Ben Chiarot -5)

132. Christian Dvorak -7

137. Josh Anderson -8

138. Tanner Pearson -8

139. Michael Pezzetta -8

Gallagher as good as Guhle? Riiiight. Harvey-Pinard better than Slafkovsky? And Xhekaj best of the young D?

Meh, I'll just ignore these!

"Then on Sunday, Suzuki scored and Suzuki assisted in an ugly loss. Suddenly, the 24-year-old who is not a top-line centreman is on pace for 27 goals and 76 points. And the not-yet-20-year-old who is not a first overall pick is on pace for 16 goals and 38 points."

After 52 games, the Habs have made a statement – Hab At Her

I have been an advocate for Mailloux spending the full season in Laval ... but I would be OK with at least calling up Logan to play with a Xhekaj on the 3rd pairing tomorrow against Anaheim.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I have been an advocate for Mailloux spending the full season in Laval ... but I would be OK with at least calling up Logan to play with a Xhekaj on the 3rd pairing tomorrow against Anaheim.

Nothing wrong with giving a guy a brief taste of The Show as part of his learning process.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Nothing wrong with giving a guy a brief taste of The Show as part of his learning process.

And against the 4th lowest scoring team in the NHL would be a good time to do so ... by Wednesday they should have a better idea about how long Guhle and Harris should be out; we might not, but they will.

20 hours ago, GHT120 said:

And against the 4th lowest scoring team in the NHL would be a good time to do so ... by Wednesday they should have a better idea about how long Guhle and Harris should be out; we might not, but they will.

Not yet, Xhekaj & Guhle likely to dress i guess... so Mailloux can practice all week then play 3 games in 3 days.

image.png

In his group, maybe meaningless, but -13 stands out. Maybe more to fact he is on a weak 1 line team and he has needed to do too much? :spamafote:

image.png

16 minutes ago, DON said:

In his group, maybe meaningless, but -13 stands out. Maybe more to fact he is on a weak 1 line team and he has needed to do too much? :spamafote:

image.png

Plus/minus is a terrible stat to use cause it counts ENG against, which is going to be worse on a bad team. So hes hurt there by being on the Habs.

It also doesnt isolate for goaltending, or being on a bad team 5v5, or SHGA, etc...

Add into it the fact the habs have been a one line team since Dach has been hurt and his level of competition is higher than anyone else.

If we look at the more advanced defensive stats Suzuki has been playing Selke level defense for the Habs.  

I have less than zero concerns on his defensive game.

Canadiens GM Hughes discusses streaking Slafkovsky, rebuild progress ahead of trade deadline | TSN

“We’ve certainly acquired some players and used those draft picks. I think we need to continue down that path and continue to add to our group of established NHL players that can help take us to the next step that are in a certain age range,” Hughes said. “Big picture, those guys have to be younger players. Where we’re at is a combination of looking to add those players and looking to see where our guys go.”

24 minutes ago, DON said:

Canadiens GM Hughes discusses streaking Slafkovsky, rebuild progress ahead of trade deadline | TSN

“We’ve certainly acquired some players and used those draft picks. I think we need to continue down that path and continue to add to our group of established NHL players that can help take us to the next step that are in a certain age range,” Hughes said. “Big picture, those guys have to be younger players. Where we’re at is a combination of looking to add those players and looking to see where our guys go.”

That makes sense. When he says younger players I wonder where he draws the line 25? 22?  I am thinking it's closer to 22.

Great to see Slaf playing with such confidence. I am trying not to get too excited but it's fun watching his development. He is having fun. Confidence is so so important for a young player. 

Just liked the pic, 2 young fellas doing well.

USATSI_22164126-scaled.jpg

Juraj Slafkovský is both proof of what the Canadiens saw in him and a lesson for us all - The Athletic

and 

"...A few weeks from now, the Canadiens will probably bring David Reinbacher over from Switzerland to make his North American professional debut, most likely in Laval." 

1 hour ago, DON said:

More fodder for the speculation that our picks are in play, with a young FW the target

2 hours ago, DON said:

"...A few weeks from now, the Canadiens will probably bring David Reinbacher over from Switzerland to make his North American professional debut, most likely in Laval." 

That would make the most sense.  That said, if they happen to have a bunch of defensive injuries when his club team is ousted, they could recall him direct to the NHL and bypass the recall limit.  Not ideal but it's an option if circumstances dictate giving him an early look.

But, Laval would be more appropriate stepping stone for him and I would assume Mailloux would play if are RH injuries/trades before Reinbacher.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

That would make the most sense.  That said, if they happen to have a bunch of defensive injuries when his club team is ousted, they could recall him direct to the NHL and bypass the recall limit.  Not ideal but it's an option if circumstances dictate giving him an early look.

As you and @DON both said, Laval makes the most sense ... but if injuries impact recall limits I could settle for him joining the Habs and practicing with the "big boys" on an NHL sized ice-surface ... but I wouldn't want him to play unless absolutely necessary.

15 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I wonder how many records Slafkovsky is going to break? 🥳

IMG_0310.png

At his age, he is probably more of an iTunes guy.

12 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I wonder how many records Slafkovsky is going to break? 🥳

IMG_0310.png

Likely fair better than Galchenyuk is about only thing I’d bank on.

Once teams recognize him as equal threat to 14/22 it will be interesting to see how he does.

Confident he will still do well, but wonder if he will continue to get such clean looks as PK’s adapt, teams game plan for Their whole line as opposed to focused on 14/22.