Game #8 Oct. 28th 2023 Habs vs Jets 7pm

DON

Monahan seems such a smart player, i never really watched or noticed him when he was in Calgary. But, when pursuing players he will hang back a bit and then pick the guys pocket along the boards and he is seems smart when dishing out the puck, for example.

Suzuki had a few shots last game, hope he repeats that today and stops 'seemingly' forcing the puck to his lil buddy, as all expect him to do so no secret and he can be a bit more selfish (Hoffman-like) wouldnt hurt Suzuki (Caufield is so shifty he can create offense for himself).

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I notice Brady Tkachuk is leading the NHL in penalty minutes but Arber is only 2 minutes behind, hopefully he can catch/surpass him with a big game tonight. 

I’m not sure that’s a title to be proud of, considering that some of those penalties have been of the “dumb” variety.

29 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Good news, looks like Guhle's back tonight.

Good news! I remember how excited we were about Guhle last season…the addition of Reinbacher to the organization seems to have distracted from our hopes for him. 

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m not sure that’s a title to be proud of, considering that some of those penalties have been of the “dumb” variety.

Agreed, I was a little surprised to see Brady leading the league. Brady would look good in a Hab's uniform but they choose KK who turned into Dvorak. I shouldn't dwell on past mistakes. 

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agreed, I was a little surprised to see Brady leading the league. Brady would look good in a Hab's uniform but they choose KK who turned into Dvorak. I shouldn't dwell on past mistakes. 

Better yet, Quinn Hughes. But that really is water under the bridge.

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Godammn Bergevin!!

28 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Armia in tonight in place of Ylonen. 

Expecting three shifts before being promoted to Suzuki line - NAH, that was the last coach. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if they do move him up. No one else has worked yet. My preference would be to give Slafkovsky a game or two, but as much as I want Armia gone,  I wouldn’t be surprised if Armia or Pearson got a chance - they do need some size on that line.

24 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Commandant called that one all the way. 

I was worried about Tkachuk at the time because reports were that his skating was so-so. I had visions of MB picking the “character” guy over talent. Instead he managed to pick the guy with neither character nor high-end talent 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Good news, looks like Guhle's back tonight.

24 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

YUP

25 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Expecting three shifts before being promoted to Suzuki line - NAH, that was the last coach. 

22 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they do love him up. No one else has worked yet. My preference would be to give Slafkovsky a game or two, but as much as I any Armia gone,  I wouldn’t be surprised if Armia or Pearson got a chance - they do need some size on that line.

Don't know about moving him up to the first line, but I expect he will get a good amount of ice time ... hopefully it is a showcase game.

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Commandant called that one all the way. 

I was worried about Tkachuk at the time because reports were that his skating was so-so. I had visions of MB picking the “character” guy over talent. Instead he managed to pick the guy with neither character nor high-end talent 🤷‍♂️

He picked the wrong guy and then compounded the mistake by starting him as a skinny 18 year old (may have even been 17???). I wanted Hughes or Tkachuk.

we drafted by position, and than tried to fill the existing hole in the lineup with the youngest player in the league😡

im hoping the Reinbacher draft (seems like drafting to fill an immediate need won’t haunt us the same way, by passing on Michkov and to a lesser extent Leanard.

KK is doing well to start this year (9pts/9games), so who knows he may turn out to be a decent 2nd line winger/3rd line centre. He was mishandled by us - wrong choice, starting him in the NHL, and not sending him back to Finland.

28 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

KK is doing well to start this year (9pts/9games), so who knows he may turn out to be a decent 2nd line winger/3rd line centre. .

On a full-season level he has yet to exceed Dvorak's output. At 10% higher cap hit than Dvorak, he is no bargain.

Canadiens Statistics Jets
4-2-1 Record 4-3-0
48.3% (20th) Scoring-chances-for % 54.4% (5th)
3.14 (14th) Goals per game 3.43 (12th)
3.29 (20th) Goals against per game 3.43 (24th)
20.7% (14th) PP% 14.8% (21st)
73.0% (25th) PK% 74.1% (21st)
1-0-1 Head-to-Head Record (22-23) 1-1-0

Canadiens vs. Jets: Game preview and how to watch - EOTP (habseyesontheprize.com)

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

On a full-season level he has yet to exceed Dvorak's output. At 10% higher cap hit than Dvorak, he is no bargain.

He's still young and improving. He's no 1st liner, but I think he'll be good value over the course of that contract.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

As much of a disappointment KK was (I’m not a KK supporter - was very vocal from the time he got drafted about drafting him and than rushing him), I do think he will have a better career than Dvorak, and at least he did score a few important goals for us. Dvorak has done squat since we got him.

I wish we just kept the picks from the Canes! I doubt if we even get anything close to the return for Dvorak than what MB gave up.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I would really be encouraged by a 14th-best power play--if only we were 37 games into the season rather than just seven.

Hey we should be happy with any improvement after the last few years. At least it’s moving in the right direction!

44 minutes ago, Neech said:

He's still young and improving. He's no 1st liner, but I think he'll be good value over the course of that contract.

I agree. 

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

As much of a disappointment KK was (I’m not a KK supporter - was very vocal from the time he got drafted about drafting him and than rushing him), I do think he will have a better career than Dvorak,

Maybe he will ... and maybe he won't. But at almost $5M/year he would need to be significantly better in order to provide good value, and that he has not yet shown.

Would the 27th overall pick have been more valuable than Dvorak? Unclear as yet, it was a late first-rounder in a relatively weak draft, so it's unclear whether we might have been able to draft an impact player at that position. And the Habs would have needed to find a short-term centre for the team somewhere as well, usually don't find them on the waiver wire.

19 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Maybe he will ... and maybe he won't. But at almost $5M/year he would need to be significantly better in order to provide good value, and that he has not yet shown.

Would the 27th overall pick have been more valuable than Dvorak? Unclear as yet, it was a late first-rounder in a relatively weak draft, so it's unclear whether we might have been able to draft an impact player at that position. And the Habs would have needed to find a short-term centre for the team somewhere as well, usually don't find them on the waiver wire.

I believe it was a 1st and a third. I’d take that rather than give up a 1st and a 2nd for a third line centre.

how much worse could we possibly have been without Dvorak? MB’s ego got the better of him. Handed out contracts to Gallagher and Armia, but stood hard with Danault.

• Like 1

Habs get the backup goalie ... has that been a "trend"?