WJC 2024 discussion thread

alfredoh2009

I get that, but in no sport is the better quality player (or better set of players) guaranteed to win. You need to score more to win, and if you can't do that, you're out. And that's what happened. (And even happens in the NHL playoffs from time to time.)

Kudos to the Czechs for playing as a team well enough to pull out a victory. Can they repeat the performance against Sweden?

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I get that, but in no sport is the better quality player (or better set of players) guaranteed to win. You need to score more to win, and if you can't do that, you're out. And that's what happened. (And even happens in the NHL playoffs from time to time.)

Exactly, in a 1 game elimination anything can happen and it did.  Canada was also shutout by Sweden. Canada was lacking elite scorers and it showed. They also had only 1 returning player where other teams like the US and Sweden had multiple returning players. Many who would have been eligible are playing in the NHL.  It's too bad they lost but it's only 1 year, no point in over analyzing or thinking the sky has fallen. We are still a great hockey country and will be back. 

U18 and U20 tournaments are generally much more unpredictable because it's only a narrow window for players, you lose some to injury or pro leagues, there is often little depth available to replace them. As you said, the sky has not fallen!

4 hours ago, Neech said:

https://dubz.live/c/be00bd

Lane Hutson got scrappy at the end of the gold medal game.

Thx for posting that link!!  It is great to know that there is a limit to the amount BS that Lane will put up with.  

Poor Lane though, the stupid ref grabbing him and letting the Swede keep punching him until he had a bloody mouth.  

6 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Poor Lane though, the stupid ref grabbing him and letting the Swede keep punching him until he had a bloody mouth.  

Actually he was cut before the fight started (took a high stick halfway through the 3rd).   

26 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Thx for posting that link!!  It is great to know that there is a limit to the amount BS that Lane will put up with.  

It's good to see Lane being feisty, he will need that in the pros. 

10 minutes ago, Peter Puck said:

Actually he was cut before the fight started (took a high stick halfway through the 3rd).   

I missed the game so I didn't know about the high stick.

It definitely looks like he's bleeding from his nose and all over his bottom lips.  It would be surprising that a high stick hit the edge of his nostril yet missed his nose.  If all that was done by a high stick Lane must be tough.  How many teeth did he lose?

5 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It's good to see Lane being feisty, he will need that in the pros. 

The Swed was much larger too and Lane didn't shy away at all and wanted more.  

image.png

Being bad winners earns them some punches in the face. If the Americans respected the losing team this would not have happened. We are not "chicken swedes" anymore.

4 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Being bad winners earns them some punches in the face. If the Americans respected the losing team this would not have happened. We are not "chicken swedes" anymore.

I agree. The Americans were taunting the fans badly however, I had to wonder at the end of the Swedes were trying the Russian tactic of starting a brawl after losing to try and get both teams disqualified rather than taking the silver. 

Poor end to a great series

44 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

I agree. The Americans were taunting the fans badly however, I had to wonder at the end of the Swedes were trying the Russian tactic of starting a brawl after losing to try and get both teams disqualified rather than taking the silver. 

Poor end to a great series

Nah, an american also crosschecked a swede in the back after whistle with 31s left.

6 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Love the feistyness of Hutson though. Some gallagher in him. Maybe from trainingcamp?

I do not believe that Hutson was at TC, only rookie camp.

12 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Disagree.  If you dont like how people celebrate than play better.  Throwing punches at the winner was being the sore losers here.

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Disagree.  If you dont like how people celebrate than play better.  Throwing punches at the winner was being the sore losers here.

I guess Im a bit biased. But no doubt USA was the best team and well deserved winners.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

If you dont like how people celebrate than play better. 

Celebrating is different than "trolling" the opposition and/or their fans.

40 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Celebrating is different than "trolling" the opposition and/or their fans.

They are teenagers who went into a hostile environment and won gold against the home team

Then sweden started taking cheapshots late in the game.

Thats what i object to

Stop em from scoring, dont go to cheapshots cause you lost.

32 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They are teenagers who went into a hostile environment and won gold against the home team

Thats what i object to

I guess we can agree to disagree about what caused Sweden to act the way they did (which I agree was inappropriate).

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Thats what i object to

What cheapshots do you mean? The blindside hit by usa in 2nd period? The stickswing by usa in 2nd period? Both uncalled.