2024 NHL Entry Draft

30 minutes ago, sim.on said:

Catton, Lindstrom, Eiserman, Iginla, Helenius or Other?

I'm assuming we'll be picking 4-9 range 

Out of these I'm most excited about Eiserman and Lindstrom at this very early stage.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Iginla doesnt belong in the group. Hes closer to 15-20.

Eiserman 

Lindstrom 

Helenius

Catton 

Is how id rank it 

I have read some negative things about Eiserman, like he is totally 1 dimensional, only cares about scoring goals etc.

Players can learn the 200 ft game with the right coaching/development. He is supposed to be the best pure goal scorer in the draft and unless the Habs draft another defenseman (unlikely I think) or get lucky and get the top pick and take Celebrini then it's likely one of the guys on your list.  I really like Lindstrom but I am certainly no pro scout. 

34 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I have read some negative things about Eiserman, like he is totally 1 dimensional, only cares about scoring goals etc.

Players can learn the 200 ft game with the right coaching/development. He is supposed to be the best pure goal scorer in the draft and unless the Habs draft another defenseman (unlikely I think) or get lucky and get the top pick and take Celebrini then it's likely one of the guys on your list.  I really like Lindstrom but I am certainly no pro scout. 

When that one dimension is scoring goals and this team needs another game breaker, I'm fine with it. 

I mean look at how much Cole Caufield's game has rounded out this year. 

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

When that one dimension is scoring goals and this team needs another game breaker, I'm fine with it. 

I mean look at how much Cole Caufield's game has rounded out this year. 

Agreed, goal scoring is a very important dimension especially on a Habs team lacking in it, players can learn the other part if they are willing. 

35 minutes ago, Neech said:

I'm afraid that drafting at #5-6 again will put us just out of reach of an elite forward like it did last year.

That's possible but this year there are a lot of highly rated defensemen in the top 10 which may push some of the forwards down.  I guess it will depend on what the teams drafting ahead of the Habs are looking for.  

27 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That's possible but this year there are a lot of highly rated defensemen in the top 10 which may push some of the forwards down.  I guess it will depend on what the teams drafting ahead of the Habs are looking for.  

I feel like Eiserman with his scoring ability and Lindstrom with his scoring and size will go quickly. Those are the two I put above the rest at this point (this will likely change by June). I hope you're right and that at least 2-3 defensemen make their way into the top 5.

Based on where the Habs are now and not counting on any lotter luck, Eiserman and Lindstrom will likely be gone but Catton or Helenius still sound good.

Looking at the history of drafts, I know there are busts in the top 10 but there are also really good players found in the 10-20 range. 

Maybe an outlier,  but pasternak was taken at 25

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Neech said:

I'm afraid that drafting at #5-6 again will put us just out of reach of an elite forward like it did last year.

11 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I guess it will depend on what the teams drafting ahead of the Habs are looking for.  

Depending on how the lottery plays out, there might be a GM drafting ahead of the Habs who is more focused on the 24/25 playoffs than the longer-term and be susceptible to "trading down".

🤞

2 hours ago, sim.on said:

Based on where the Habs are now and not counting on any lotter luck, Eiserman and Lindstrom will likely be gone but Catton or Helenius still sound good.

Looking at the history of drafts, I know there are busts in the top 10 but there are also really good players found in the 10-20 range. 

Maybe an outlier,  but pasternak was taken at 25

That's my feeling as well, those guys are likely gone.  There is also Demidov who everyone rates as top 10 but the Russian factor may drop him. 

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2024-nhl-draft/player-profiles/Ivan-Demidov

15 hours ago, Neech said:

A couple more Guhles or Caufields might not hurt; Guhle 16th/Caufield 15th.

From last year, you are writing off forwards available, like a Benson-Danielson-Michkov-Dvorsky that were available at 5 that 'might' become elite?

16 hours ago, Neech said:

would trading to drop down be an option?

If I remember correctly, the 2025 draft is stronger.

Using their 1st and the late 1st the will get this year for Monahan for a good prospect and a 1st next year?

Tanking this year makes no sense, and I much rather see them get a 201-22 year old prospect this year than a ling shot 1st.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

would trading to drop down be an option?

If I remember correctly, the 2025 draft is stronger.

Using their 1st and the late 1st the will get this year for Monahan for a good prospect and a 1st next year?

Tanking this year makes no sense, and I much rather see them get a 201-22 year old prospect this year than a ling shot 1st.

Too late to really "tank" this season .... I-M-O that is planned in the off-season ... if veterans are, as expected, traded they may slide down the standings but not a true "tank" ... I agree that at this point of the rebuild I prefer legit prospects/young-NHLers to late firsts ... unless they are trading "down" with a team that HuGo project to be terrible next season (i.e., top 3-5 in lottery odds), I'm not certain the value in looking for another 2025 first fits the rebuild either.

On 1/26/2024 at 9:12 PM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I would be shocked if Hughes takes Eiserman and I doubt that he isn't on their board at all.   He doesn't match the Habs profile or the culture they are trying to build.   I'm convinced they will pass on him.  

Cole wasn't good defensively, but that's because he didn't know what to do.  However, Cole posses the trait I said is 2nd and he has a high work ethic and is constantly learning and improving.  Eiserman is not working on improving his D at all so he is either a) selfish, or b) potentially uncoachable, or both.  

I want Lindstrom too because he seems to be the 3rd best shooter.  I have the impression that Tiggy might be the 4th best scorer.

However, I'm no pro scout like some of the regular posters here and I don't know all the facts so admittedly all I can do at this point is speculate.    

I'm a big dummy and thought the list was static and could change but I've been corrected on that.  Apparently, players cannot move up or down on these lists between now and the draft. 

Tiggy 1:16

image.jpeg

9 hours ago, DON said:

Parekh at 6, a RHD-man on Becks memorial cup bound team.

A good team but ... they are playing in the Memorial Cup because they are the host city, not because they qualified for it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

A good team but ... they are playing in the Memorial Cup because they are the host city, not because they qualified for it.

Didnt say are a good team (are pretty good i think?), simply he is on Becks team and we will see both in May during the Memorial Cup, thats all.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

They are currently tied for the lead in the OHL, and have the most wins ... so clearly a superior team ... this is not a case of a mediocre host team being in the Memorial Cup simply because they are the host ... they may well not win the OHL playoffs, but that is common for any host team as they know they are in the tournament and often lack a bit of an edge in the playoffs.

Some mock drafts have 3 Russians in the top 5, and it's a shame that they're probably all off limits to us. Demidov might be the second best forward in the draft and will probably fall to us just like Michkov did.

19 hours ago, Neech said:

Some mock drafts have 3 Russians in the top 5, and it's a shame that they're probably all off limits to us. Demidov might be the second best forward in the draft and will probably fall to us just like Michkov did.

Why are all russians off limits?  They preferred Reinbacher over Michkov but drafted Bogdan later.  I dont know we have enough evidence to say that this management is anti russian.

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Why are all russians off limits?  They preferred Reinbacher over Michkov but drafted Bogdan later.  I dont know we have enough evidence to say that this management is anti Russian.

But it is such an easy/simplistic compliant ... don't take it away from him.

46 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Why are all russians off limits?  They preferred Reinbacher over Michkov but drafted Bogdan later.  I dont know we have enough evidence to say that this management is anti russian.

True enough, we'll see if they use a high value pick on a Russian rather than a late-rounder. My complaint was more about the general anti-Russian bias of this era, where Russians have been passed over and excluded. Demidov doesn't seem to be on our radar based on the previous posts in this thread. Michkov would have gone before Will Smith fifteen years ago. 

30 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

But it is such an easy/simplistic compliant ... don't take it away from him.

Lol this catty personal shot is out of nowhere.

If the "behind the scenes" footage of the Habs braintrust leading up to the draft told us anything, it was that they made a conscious decision not to go with a high-risk high-reward choice with the precious #5 overall pick. Gorton was very explicit about that. (No one said Michkov's name, but we all knew that was who he was likely referring to).

They may not be "anti-Russian," but the Russian factor probably brings an element of risk that they prefer to avoid with a top-end pick. Conversely, maybe the problem was more with Michkov himself than with his Russian-ness, but the latter could still have been one factor.

A further variable, though, is that the situation now is different from 2023! For instance, if they think they got a cornerstone piece in Reinbacher, then they may be more willing to go higher-risk with their top pick this time.

My guess, though, is that they will still incline toward risk-aversion with the top pick specifically.