2024 NHL Entry Draft

10 hours ago, DON said:

Catton scores alot.:thumbs_up:

I have heard him described as Mike Hoffman-ish ... it accurate, or even mostly accurate, don't think HuGo's philosophy is quite so uni-dimensional.

46 minutes ago, DON said:

NHL Mock Draft 2024: Macklin Celebrini to Sharks as we pick for every lottery team - The Athletic

The Athletic mock, has a trade at 5 and take Iginla at 9. Interesting.

image.png

That's an interesting one for sure, I am not against trading down this draft if the price is right. Many think Buium could be a franchise defenseman while the Habs are strong at LD. This trade makes sense to me. There still should be one of Helenius/Catton/Iginla/Sennecke available at 9.  The extra pick could be packaged with the Winnipeg pick to move up or for something else. 

I can see teams wanting a stud like Buium approaching the Habs knowing the Habs are unlikely to take him. 

59 minutes ago, DON said:

NHL Mock Draft 2024: Macklin Celebrini to Sharks as we pick for every lottery team - The Athletic

The Athletic mock, has a trade at 5 and take Iginla at 9. Interesting.

image.png

Presuming the trade, it would be gutsy move by Conroy to not take Iginla ... for the Habs it would likely be dependent on how the first four picks play out ... ***if*** Calgary's target is a defenceman (do Hughes and Conroy have a good enough relationship for kent to believe him?) and 2-3 go after Celebrini then HuGo might have confidence that they can still get one od their "target" forwards at #9 (whoever those might be) ... if 0-1 D go before #5 then the habs might not be so confident, and another mid-late 20s pick might not be so enticing. 

EDIT: McKenzie's rankings, based on his survey of numerous scouts, shows no consensus after Celebrini ... this may lead to a team like Calgary fearing they will "lose their guy" and trading up or being confident that a "good pick" will remain and stying put ... I tend to think more the latter, but only June 28th will tell.

11 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I have heard him described as Mike Hoffman-ish ... it accurate, or even mostly accurate, don't think HuGo's philosophy is quite so uni-dimensional.

His stats show lots of assists, unlike an Eiserman and didnt hear he was below average defensively. But think the bigger Lindstrom/Iginla would be preferred by Hughes (and most HabFans i think?).

image.png

23 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Presuming the trade, it would be gutsy move by Conroy to not take Iginla ... 

Perhaps, BUT the Flames traded away Tanev and Zadorov so I can definitely see them really wanting a high end defenseman.  This trade does make sense to me. 

4 hours ago, DON said:

But think the bigger Lindstrom/Iginla would be preferred by Hughes (and most HabFans i think?).

Would Hughes prefer that? They did pick Slafkovsky first in 2022, but then followed up with Mesar, Beck, Hutson and Rohrer, none of whom are over 6' tall. My perception is that skill will trump size when they pick. Of course, at similar skill levels, the bigger player will have the edge.

17 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Would Hughes prefer that? They did pick Slafkovsky first in 2022, but then followed up with Mesar, Beck, Hutson and Rohrer, none of whom are over 6' tall. My perception is that skill will trump size when they pick. Of course, at similar skill levels, the bigger player will have the edge.

Exactly, and all also add the following. 

Didn't Hughes also give a long term, big-money contract to Cole Caufield.  Wasn't he involved in making sure that Harris was signed and not traded? Didn''t he make sure to get Hutson under contract and into the NHL as quickly as possible? 

Yes, they didn't draft Caufield and Harris, but both had trade value.  At any point he could have decided to trade them if he was so insistent on a belief in size. 

He also traded for Newhook to make him a top 6 forward, and he isn't exactly a size guy either. 

With respect to the "size" question ... I think there is a difference between a high first round pick and later picks ... a "smaller" player would I-M-O have to be distinctly better than a bigger player ranked almost the same; whereas the deeper one goes into the draft the more risk can be taken in prioritizing talent over size as the overall odds of the player having an impact, or even making the NHL, also declines.

There is also the question of how many less than average to small players one wants on a team at one time.

Hmm, wow. What are the odds of this happening:  the Sharks apparently won the draft lottery 3 times.  ex:  they won the 1st OA pick, but on the 2nd lottery they also won it.  That has never happened before and that isn't allowed so they had to redo the 2nd lottery, which SJ also won.  They had to do a 4th lottery to determine who got the 2nd OA pick.

2 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Hmm, wow. What are the odds of this happening:  the Sharks apparently won the draft lottery 3 times.  ex:  they won the 1st OA pick, but on the 2nd lottery they also won it.  That has never happened before and that isn't allowed so they had to redo the 2nd lottery, which SJ also won.  They had to do a 4th lottery to determine who got the 2nd OA pick.

They had an 18.5% chance of winning.  The odds of winning don't really change as it's still 14 ping pong balls and 1,000 combinations on the lookup table even after San Jose won the first one (they just redraw if needed).  So the probability of them winning 3 times is 18.5% x 18.5% x 18.5% which equals 0.6331625%.

6 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

How often can a coin toss come up heads in a row?

Their odds were almost 1-in-5 overall ... more surprising to me if this has never happened.

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He seems to be perfect as far as skill set but is there an injury problem?

I am not a doctor ... but I do wonder how what his growth pattern has been and whether the back issues could possibly be related to his body/musculature "catching up" to his height ... but the habs medical team can much, much better analyze his injuries and medical records than I ever could ... so if they were to draft him I have confidence that the medical aspect will have been thoroughly considered.

14 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I am not a doctor ... but I do wonder how what his growth pattern has been and whether the back issues could possibly be related to his body/musculature "catching up" to his height ... but the habs medical team can much, much better analyze his injuries and medical records than I ever could ... so if they were to draft him I have confidence that the medical aspect will have been thoroughly considered.

Agree with your points, I am sure they will check this out before they consider drafting him. 

27 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The odds are always 50/50 heads or tails no matter what happened on the previous flip. 

Yes but the odds of getting 3 heads in a row, before you throw the first one are

.5 x .5 x .5 = 12.5%

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If drafted we can be sure the Habs doctors were very thorough. I agree with you 

The player himself looks perfect for what we need. He sounds like Slafkovsky in size and style and it would be nice to have two Slafkovskys 

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He seems to be perfect as far as skill set but is there an injury problem?

IMG_0411.png

His passing is an issue in this chart.  He makes a high volume of passes to the slot but with very little success in doing so.

Tends to line up.with those questioning his hockey IQ.

The other thing to remember is that this chart is 11 games tracked.  Just with the volume of junior games, they are never as good as NHL tracking which is every game.  (They areng bad but you need a grain of salt with them.

58 minutes ago, Commandant said:

His passing is an issue in this chart.  He makes a high volume of passes to the slot but with very little success in doing so.

Tends to line up.with those questioning his hockey IQ.

The other thing to remember is that this chart is 11 games tracked.  Just with the volume of junior games, they are never as good as NHL tracking which is every game.  (They areng bad but you need a grain of salt with them.

Thanks for adding context to his stats. If hockey IQ is a question then I don’t think it fits a HuGo type player. I remember Hughes taking about how important hockey IQ is to him. 

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Yes but the odds of getting 3 heads in a row, before you throw the first one are

.5 x .5 x .5 = 12.5%

Yes, always .5, for some reason some people think that if you get 10 heads in the row that the probability of getting tails on the next flip is greater than .5 but it's not.  The term for that is called gambler's fallacy. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/8/2024 at 6:49 AM, GHT120 said:

2024 NHL Draft mailbag: Beckett Sennecke’s rise, Tij Iginla vs. Cole Eiserman and more - The Athletic

On Catton;

"Some have concerns about whether his defensive game/habits are quite there considering his size, but he was one of the best penalty killers in the WHL this year and has shown some promise down the middle."

For what is worth, Wheeler favours Eiserman over Iginla.

• Like 1