Patrick Roy will be behind the bench @ the Bell Centre

GHT120

Next Thurdsay ... the Islanders bench

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Good move by the Islanders, they were fading badly and need a spark. 

I expect this is also a chance to see whether a new coach has any impact and to get Patrick's input before Lou makes any trades.

Just now, BCHabnut said:

A spark is a certainty with that dude.

But will it like a fire under their "butts" or just burn down the house?

One thing about this is that Lou is a strong enough personality that Roy won't be able to undermine or dislodge him. I predict Roy will look great for a while, before finally melting down.

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

One thing about this is that Lou is a strong enough personality that Roy won't be able to undermine or dislodge him. I predict Roy will look great for a while, before finally melting down.

Lou is so old that I think Roy is looking at this as positioning himself to succeed him.  Lou has to retire one day soon.

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Lou is so old that I think Roy is looking at this as positioning himself to succeed him.  Lou has to retire one day soon.

A lot of people think Chris Lamoriello will move to the top role when that happens.

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I'm just glad it's not Toronto Ottawa Carolina Tampa or Boston

Agreed. I thought for sure Ottawa would hire him. Sens were dumb bringing back Martin as a tempo coach I nstead.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

But will it like a fire under their "butts" or just burn down the house?

He’s no Tremblay. I think he will probably be a good coach. Just don’t think he picked a very good team for his comeback.

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

A lot of people think Chris Lamoriello will move to the top role when that happens.

Given his history, a power struggle would surprise no one.

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He’s no Tremblay. I think he will probably be a good coach. Just don’t think he picked a very good team for his comeback.

I'm very, very happy we have St-Louis instead of Roy.

49 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Agreed. I thought for sure Ottawa would hire him. Sens were dumb bringing back Martin as a tempo coach I nstead.

I think Ottawa knows who their next coach is going to be (John Gruden), they just can't get him until after the season.  Martin then worked as a placeholder.  Their owner came from Montreal, a team that had basically zero interest in Roy so the Sens weren't going to go after him.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I'm very, very happy we have St-Louis instead of Roy.

So am I. But o do think that Roy will become a good coach at the NHL level. Who knows if he has a lot of success he may be a viable candidate for us in the future - but only if he proves he can win and play nice with others while doing so. Let another team develop him.