Game #48: Islanders at Canadiens, 25 January, 7 P

tomh009

Entertaining game, kinda hoping it went into OT, just for some extra 3-on-3 fun.

3 points for Monahan, nice to see him continue playing well.

Hopefully Xhekaj is still adapting back to NHL these past 2 games and dumb penalties wont continue, be no surprise if Harris draws back in.

Nice 3 way play for Suzuki's goal, sweet.

Pezzetta standard 4 hits in 7:00

Wonder if Gallagher's chicken-wing elbow was bit related to Harvey-Pinard getting crushed by Martin earlier?

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

NOT suggesting this is happening but perhaps that hopper has many more Chicago balls than it should for example. 

I wonder if the supervisor counts the balls as they go in to ensure that proper odds are represented?

That is exactly why Ernst& Young, or whoever, runs the process.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

There are only 14 balls that go in the machine, numbered 1-14 and yes, they're carefully observed as they go in.  The league actually has started posting the actual lottery draw, here's the 2022 one that Montreal won:

Yes ... it is simultaneously simple and sufficiently complicated ... 14 balls go in ... 4 come out ... 1,001 possible combinations allocated based on the percentage assigned to each team.

The NHL draft lottery explained: How 4 ping-pong balls will set Connor Bedard’s future - The Athletic

On another note, has anyone pointed out the small irony of a Habs goalie making 46 saves for the W in Patrick Roy’s first game against them upon his return? Lord knows, he did that to other teams often enough when he was wearing the CH.

33 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The contract just doesnt make buyout feasible.  You dont want to double the length remaining, not now anyway.

Pay it now, in years you arent competing and then see if you buy it out or trade it with fewer years remaining, but hes here next season too as the value of eating a year is worth more than stretching it out to double the length into years we want to compete.

Agreed ... better to explore retention in a year or two than extend the cap-hit issues

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

How in the name of Howie Morenz did MB agree to a NMC for Gallagher. It is to weep

Did you SEE the press conference announcing the sighning ... full bromance.

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree, but aren't conspiracy theories fun? 

Some

18 minutes ago, DON said:

Entertaining game, kinda hoping it went into OT, just for some extra 3-on-3 fun.

3 points for Monahan, nice to see him continue playing well.

Hopefully Xhekaj is still adapting back to NHL these past 2 games and dumb penalties wont continue, be no surprise if Harris draws back in.

Nice 3 way play for Suzuki's goal, sweet.

Pezzetta standard 4 hits in 7:00

Wonder if Gallagher's chicken-wing elbow was bit related to Harvey-Pinard getting crushed by Martin earlier?

Good post and I will add that I’m stoked that Caufield is putting up points and that his goal wasn’t his typical snipe. 

Caufield is growing as a player 

49 minutes ago, Commandant said:

On Xhekaj, In two games since being back he has taken 3 minors.  St. Louis was asked about this in his presser last night and he wasnt happy with that either.  He cant be taking minors every game.

Agree that he can't be taking penalties every night. However, two games is an awfully small sample.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Agree that he can't be taking penalties every night. However, two games is an awfully small sample.

I agree on small sample but you'd think he would be extra careful after just being called up, and MSL is commenting on it.

36 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

And Arber is certainly aware of it after watching an interview with him. Just needs a little more discipline, it's a process. 

Of course.

I was just saying of all the players who can be mad at gallaghers lack of discipline, hes not at the head of the line.  He needs to be disciplined too.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

And Arber is certainly aware of it after watching an interview with him. Just needs a little more discipline, it's a process. 

Expect it might be this interview (starts at 7:40) ... I liked what he said ... especially the "I reached out to them".

14 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

It’s pretty deserved.  Was an unnecessary dirty hit.

Very deserved. I am just very surprised he did it as it's so out of character for Gallagher but if you do the crime you do the time. If someone did that to a Hab's player we would be outraged. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Except Gary doesn't pull the balls ... it is a lottery "hopper" supervised by Ernst & Young or some other such collection of suits ... but expect they "want" SJS, Anaheim or Chicago (the new Kane and Toews).

13 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

NOT suggesting this is happening but perhaps that hopper has many more Chicago balls than it should for example. 

I wonder if the supervisor counts the balls as they go in to ensure that proper odds are represented?

13 hours ago, dlbalr said:

As far I as can tell, I don't think he has.  That'll change in the next 36 hours.

There are only 14 balls that go in the machine, numbered 1-14 and yes, they're carefully observed as they go in.  The league actually has started posting the actual lottery draw, here's the 2022 one that Montreal won:

To clarify... I was very much speaking tongue in cheek.

• Upvote 1

As a declining, overpaid vet, Gally needs to get more disciplined. He takes too many dumb penalties in general, and an egregious dirty hit like this not only hurts the team but tarnishes his reputation.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Commandant said:

Ernst and Young supervises business accounts worth way more than the NHL makes in a year.  The reason they do so much business is an impeccable reputation in the financial industry.  Rigging a draft lottery that they put their name on damages that reputation.  No one wants to do financial business with a company that does fraud for bribes.

Quite simply the NHL couldnt afford what it would cost to get a bribe to fix this.

The league also.releases full video of the lottery after its over.

Quite simply, these tinfoil hat conspiracies of rigging the lottery are complete and utter B.S.

Have worked with E&Y closely over the last 15 years - impeccable reputation is a bit of a stretch. Agree that there is no way they are going to allow the lottery to be rigged. But, my own assessment of them would be more as incompetent and inconsistent, than impeccable. Not as bad as KPMG, but not great.

8 hours ago, Neech said:

As a declining, overpaid vet, Gally needs to get more disciplined. He takes too many dumb penalties in general, and an egregious dirty hit like this not only hurts the team but tarnishes his reputation.

Gallagher is who he is and I’m not expecting anything different from him. 

He will play out his contract and likely never play again in the NHL

8 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Have worked with E&Y closely over the last 15 years - impeccable reputation is a bit of a stretch. Agree that there is no way they are going to allow the lottery to be rigged. But, my own assessment of them would be more as incompetent and inconsistent, than impeccable. Not as bad as KPMG, but not great.

Such firms with INTEGRITY usually don't thrive ... it's like furniture ... they are rarely solid wood but work hard for the veneer to LOOK good.